|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a homeless shelter.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At the author's apartment.
(d) At a hotel.
2. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
3. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She has turned them down.
(b) She will not discuss it.
(c) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
(d) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
4. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is walking down the street.
(b) She is in line at the pharmacy.
(c) She is in a cab, on the way to a party.
(d) She is working in her office.
5. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) West Virginia.
(c) Battle Mountain.
6. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her mother is arguing with a police officer.
(b) Her mother is grocery shopping.
(c) Her mother is digging through a dumpster.
(d) Her mother is injured, on the side of the road.
7. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
(a) Physical punishment and to learn respect for elders.
(b) Strict discipline.
(c) Freedom and the chance to learn to fend for themselves.
(d) To be coddled, as they are unable to be responsible.
8. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) A brother and two sisters.
(b) No siblings.
(c) Five brothers.
(d) Four sisters.
9. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
(a) Rex's parents.
(b) Neighbors from when Jeannette was small.
(c) Her mother's friends.
(d) Grandma Smith.
10. Which of the following does Rose Mary tell Jeannette about changing?
(a) That she cannot change because of her husband.
(b) That she would change if she wasn't so old.
(c) That she needs a lot of help if she is going to change.
(d) That she does not want to change.
11. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
(a) Because her mother likes it there.
(b) Her mother will only meet her in public.
(c) She doesn't want her mother to see where she lives.
(d) Because she doesn't want to be seen with her mother.
12. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
(b) In a bad neighborhood.
(c) In a large house in the suburbs.
(d) In a homeless shelter.
13. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
(a) Useless things for the house.
(b) Gifts for his mistress.
(c) Gifts for the kids.
(d) Alcohol and gambling.
14. How does Rose Mary feel about her current living situation?
(a) She is thinking about returning to her parent's home.
(b) She is angry that she cannot find a job.
(c) She is all right with being homeless.
(d) She has been looking for a new place for a while and is very frustrated.
15. Why does the family leave for Arizona in the middle of the night?
(a) Rose Mary lost her job and doesn't want anyone to know.
(b) They accidentally burned down their house.
(c) They have gotten into a feud with a neighboring family.
(d) The kids want to leave their school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rex say that the family must leave Las Vegas?
2. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
3. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
4. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
5. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)