|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents in light of her upbringing?
(a) She wants nothing to do with her parents.
(b) She is filled with regrets about their relationship.
(c) She has a deep rage for them.
(d) She feels fondness and is a bit confused by them.
2. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
(b) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
(c) They think the house is old and creepy.
(d) They hate the house as it's not very large.
3. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
(b) She will not discuss it.
(c) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
(d) She has turned them down.
4. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
5. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
(a) She is very funny and easy-going and loves to play.
(b) She indulges the children's every whim.
(c) She treats Rex with great respect.
(d) She provides a sense of stability and makes hot meals.
6. What is Jeannette's mother doing when Jeannette hurt herself in Part 2?
(a) She is asleep in the living room.
(b) She is helping Jeannette.
(c) She is in the other room, painting.
(d) She is not in the house.
7. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
(b) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
(c) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(d) She steals her sister's food.
8. In Part 2, what does Jeannette ask her father for as a Christmas gift?
(a) For him to stop drinking.
(b) To be able to go to school in the same place for one whole year.
(c) For her father to take her and her siblings to California.
(d) For a horse.
9. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a homeless shelter.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At the author's apartment.
10. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
(a) Move on and have her own life.
(b) Move away to another place.
(c) Accept her parents as they are.
(d) Help her parents to change.
11. What is Jeannette's profession?
(a) Literature Professor.
(b) Elementary Teacher.
12. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) He takes them for an Easter present.
(b) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(c) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(d) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
13. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
(a) They are all put into special education classes.
(b) They are put into advanced classes.
(c) They decide not to return after the first week.
(d) They are very popular right away.
14. How long has Rex worked at the job in Battle Mountain before leaving it?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two days.
(c) One month.
(d) Two years.
15. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
2. Where does Rex work when the family lives in Battle Mountain?
3. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
4. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
5. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)