|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(b) Goes on to a party.
(c) Asks to be taken back home.
(d) Calls her friend to talk.
2. Which of the following descriptions might best describe Jeannette?
(a) Carefree, giddy.
(b) Self-reliant, strong.
(c) Indifferent, lazy.
(d) Angry, bitter.
3. What type of childhood does Jeannette say she had?
4. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
(a) Because she is angry at her family, and doesn't want to go home.
(b) Because there are lots of children to be friends with.
(c) Because she gets lots of presents from her family.
(d) Because it is quiet and not chaotic.
5. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
(a) Accept her parents as they are.
(b) Move away to another place.
(c) Move on and have her own life.
(d) Help her parents to change.
6. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In a homeless shelter.
(b) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
(c) In a large house in the suburbs.
(d) In a bad neighborhood.
7. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
(a) The baby becomes very ill.
(b) The truck breaks down and the children have to hike many hours.
(c) The truck catches on fire.
(d) The door of the U-haul comes open and the parents don't notice.
8. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(b) Her brother teaches her.
(c) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
(d) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
9. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
(d) Tired of everything.
10. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
(a) He was a traveling salesman.
(b) He was working as an electrical engineer.
(c) He was in the Air Force.
(d) He did not have a job.
11. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
(b) She will not discuss it.
(c) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
(d) She has turned them down.
12. In Part 2, what does Jeannette ask her father for as a Christmas gift?
(a) For a horse.
(b) For her father to take her and her siblings to California.
(c) For him to stop drinking.
(d) To be able to go to school in the same place for one whole year.
13. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
14. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
(a) He never does anything with them.
(b) He tells them stories at night and plays outside with them.
(c) He likes to paint and do ceramics with them.
(d) He likes to play board games and cards with them.
15. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) A trip to the zoo.
(b) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(c) A pet puppy.
(d) A star.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rex say that the family must leave Las Vegas?
2. Where did Rex grow up?
3. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
4. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
5. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)