|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(b) Her brother teaches her.
(c) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
(d) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
2. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) She steals her sister's food.
(b) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
(c) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(d) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
3. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
(a) It is genuinely not important to her.
(b) She is deeply ashamed.
(c) She is afraid of being put into a nursing home.
(d) She doesn't want her daughter to lecture her.
4. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
5. What is Jeannette's manner of telling her story in Part 1?
(b) With great sadness.
6. In Part 2, how old is Jeannette when she gets injured?
(a) Six years old.
(b) A few days old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Ten years old.
7. What is Jeannette's profession?
(a) Literature Professor.
(b) Elementary Teacher.
8. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
(b) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
(c) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
(d) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
9. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
(a) Strict discipline.
(b) Freedom and the chance to learn to fend for themselves.
(c) To be coddled, as they are unable to be responsible.
(d) Physical punishment and to learn respect for elders.
10. What is Rex's educational background?
(a) He has never had any formal schooling.
(b) He has no education beyond grammar school.
(c) He is educated and has worked as an engineer.
(d) He did not graduate high school, but is very well-read.
11. What type of childhood does Jeannette say she had?
12. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) She eats things from the trash.
(b) Her friends share their lunches with her.
(c) She steals from other children's lunches.
(d) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
13. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
(a) She spends it all before he can get at it.
(b) She takes it to a bank and does not tell him.
(c) She hides it in the house.
(d) She lets the children handle the money.
14. Why does Rex tell his family that he has lost his job?
(a) His boss does not like him.
(b) Because the government made his company fire him.
(c) There is no more work, the company is closing.
(d) Because it's time to quit and "look for gold."
15. What does Rose Mary inherit when her mother dies?
(a) A house in Arizona and land in Texas.
(b) A mansion.
(c) Her mother's jewelry collection.
(d) Several hundred thousand dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
2. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
3. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
4. What is Jeannette's mother doing when Jeannette hurt herself in Part 2?
5. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)