|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
(a) She is deeply ashamed.
(b) She is afraid of being put into a nursing home.
(c) She doesn't want her daughter to lecture her.
(d) It is genuinely not important to her.
2. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
(a) Rex's parents.
(b) Her mother's friends.
(c) Grandma Smith.
(d) Neighbors from when Jeannette was small.
3. Who helps Rose Mary write and organize her lesson plans?
(b) Another teacher.
4. Why does Rose Mary dislike her teaching job?
(a) Teachers don't make enough money.
(b) Because teaching requires organization and discipline.
(c) She always wanted to be college professor.
(d) Rose Mary dislikes being with other people's children.
5. How long has Rex worked at the job in Battle Mountain before leaving it?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two days.
(c) One month.
(d) Two years.
6. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should tell the truth.
(b) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(c) She should tell them it is none of their business.
(d) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
7. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
8. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
(b) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
(c) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
(d) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
9. What is the glass castle?
(a) The house that Rose Mary grew up.
(b) A home that Rex dreams of building for his family.
(c) A place that the kids go to play.
(d) The place that Jeannette escapes to in her dreams.
10. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
(c) He does not work.
11. Which of the following descriptions might best describe Jeannette?
(a) Self-reliant, strong.
(b) Carefree, giddy.
(c) Indifferent, lazy.
(d) Angry, bitter.
12. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
(b) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(c) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
(d) She steals her sister's food.
13. Who is Billy Deel?
(a) A neighborhood boy three years older than Jeannette.
(b) Brian's best friend from school.
(c) A good friend of Rex's.
(d) Rex's grandfather.
14. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) A star.
(b) A trip to the zoo.
(c) A pet puppy.
(d) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
15. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(b) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(c) He takes them for an Easter present.
(d) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
2. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
3. Which of the following does Rose Mary tell Jeannette about changing?
4. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
5. What does Jeannette feel when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)