|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rex work when the family lives in Battle Mountain?
(a) As a bartender.
(b) He does not have a job.
(c) As a hospital orderly.
(d) In a mine.
2. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
3. What genre of book is "The Glass Castle"?
4. Who is Billy Deel?
(a) Rex's grandfather.
(b) Brian's best friend from school.
(c) A good friend of Rex's.
(d) A neighborhood boy three years older than Jeannette.
5. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They hate the house as it's not very large.
(b) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
(c) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
(d) They think the house is old and creepy.
6. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) West Virginia.
(c) Battle Mountain.
7. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
(b) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
(c) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(d) The baby is left on top of the car.
8. In Part 2, what does Jeannette ask her father for as a Christmas gift?
(a) For her father to take her and her siblings to California.
(b) For a horse.
(c) For him to stop drinking.
(d) To be able to go to school in the same place for one whole year.
9. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
(a) College Professor.
(c) Prison Guard.
10. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(b) The secret place where the children go to play.
(c) A bar where the parents often go.
(d) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
11. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) A pet puppy.
(b) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(c) A trip to the zoo.
(d) A star.
12. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) Four sisters.
(b) No siblings.
(c) Five brothers.
(d) A brother and two sisters.
13. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
(a) The Walls parents.
(c) Lori and Jeannette.
(d) Grandma Smith.
14. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(b) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(c) He takes them for an Easter present.
(d) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
15. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
(a) She leaves her a note at a hotel.
(b) She sends a letter.
(c) She calls a mutual friend.
(d) She calls her father and asks him to relay the message.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
2. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
3. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
4. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
5. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)