|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Six weeks.
2. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She has a very hard time academically.
(b) She gets held back a grade.
(c) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
(d) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
3. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
4. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
(b) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
(c) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
(d) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
5. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
(a) Shoplifting food from stores and selling it.
(b) Scamming banks by making simultaneous withdrawals.
(c) Doing odd jobs for their neighbors.
(d) Dealing drugs.
6. Where did Jeannette grow up?
(a) Overseas, where her father was in the Air Force.
(b) In the deep South.
(c) In Canada.
(d) She moved frequently.
7. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They hate the house as it's not very large.
(b) They think the house is old and creepy.
(c) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
(d) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
8. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
(a) She is afraid of being put into a nursing home.
(b) She is deeply ashamed.
(c) She doesn't want her daughter to lecture her.
(d) It is genuinely not important to her.
9. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
(a) She calls a mutual friend.
(b) She leaves her a note at a hotel.
(c) She calls her father and asks him to relay the message.
(d) She sends a letter.
10. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
(b) New Orleans.
11. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
(a) He wants to meet the girls there.
(b) His friends tell him he should.
(c) He thinks he will see his father there.
(d) Jeannette dares him to.
12. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(b) A trip to the zoo.
(c) A pet puppy.
(d) A star.
13. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
(b) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
(c) She believes in very harsh discipline.
(d) She will not let children out of her sight.
14. Why does Rex say that the family must leave Las Vegas?
(a) He says that the FBI is after them.
(b) The family is getting kicked out of their home.
(c) He says that a blackjack dealer has figured out his "system" and they could get in trouble.
(d) He wants to take them to stay with his mother-in-law.
15. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
(a) Food that she found out in the yard.
(b) Apples from the neighbor's tree.
(c) A stick of margarine with some sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
2. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
3. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
4. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
5. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)