|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(b) She gets held back a grade.
(c) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
(d) She has a very hard time academically.
2. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is in line at the pharmacy.
(b) She is working in her office.
(c) She is in a cab, on the way to a party.
(d) She is walking down the street.
3. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(b) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
(c) The baby is left on top of the car.
(d) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
4. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents in light of her upbringing?
(a) She has a deep rage for them.
(b) She is filled with regrets about their relationship.
(c) She wants nothing to do with her parents.
(d) She feels fondness and is a bit confused by them.
5. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A bar where the parents often go.
(b) The secret place where the children go to play.
(c) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(d) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
6. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
(a) She finds a boyfriend.
(b) A teacher takes a great interest in her.
(c) She becomes a cheerleader.
(d) She gets glasses and can finally see well.
7. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Battle Mountain.
(c) Las Vegas.
(d) West Virginia.
8. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(b) She should tell them it is none of their business.
(c) She should tell the truth.
(d) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
9. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
(a) Because she is angry at her family, and doesn't want to go home.
(b) Because she gets lots of presents from her family.
(c) Because there are lots of children to be friends with.
(d) Because it is quiet and not chaotic.
10. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
(a) It is an old Spanish-style villa with a pool.
(b) It is run-down and located in a bad neighborhood.
(c) It is a mansion, but has not been well cared for.
(d) It is a small home that they share with her mother's friends.
11. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
(b) New Orleans.
12. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
(a) They are very popular right away.
(b) They are put into advanced classes.
(c) They are all put into special education classes.
(d) They decide not to return after the first week.
13. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a homeless shelter.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) At the author's apartment.
14. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
(a) She takes it to a bank and does not tell him.
(b) She hides it in the house.
(c) She spends it all before he can get at it.
(d) She lets the children handle the money.
15. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her mother is injured, on the side of the road.
(b) Her mother is arguing with a police officer.
(c) Her mother is grocery shopping.
(d) Her mother is digging through a dumpster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
2. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
3. What genre of book is "The Glass Castle"?
4. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
5. Who helps Rose Mary write and organize her lesson plans?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)