|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Deel?
(a) A neighborhood boy three years older than Jeannette.
(b) Brian's best friend from school.
(c) Rex's grandfather.
(d) A good friend of Rex's.
2. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(b) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(c) He takes them for an Easter present.
(d) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
3. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
(a) Food and shelter.
(b) Education of any type.
4. Where did Rex grow up?
(a) Los Angeles, California.
(b) Biloxi, Mississippi.
(c) Welch, West Virginia.
(d) New York, New York.
5. What type of childhood does Jeannette say she had?
6. How does the Walls' financial situation improve for a time in Pheonix?
(a) Rose Mary begins to sell more of her paintings.
(b) They are getting money from mineral rights on the land in Texas.
(c) Rex stops drinking and works regularly.
(d) Jeannette finds an after-school job that pays well.
7. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
(b) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
(c) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
(d) The weather makes the baby sick.
8. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
(b) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
(c) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(d) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
9. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In a bad neighborhood.
(b) In a homeless shelter.
(c) In a large house in the suburbs.
(d) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
10. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) With friends in a housing project.
(b) In a nursing home.
(c) They are homeless.
(d) In a halfway house.
11. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
(a) It is an old Spanish-style villa with a pool.
(b) It is a small home that they share with her mother's friends.
(c) It is a mansion, but has not been well cared for.
(d) It is run-down and located in a bad neighborhood.
12. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She will not let children out of her sight.
(b) She believes in very harsh discipline.
(c) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
(d) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
13. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
(a) She is climbing a tree and falls on a fence.
(b) She is boiling hot dogs and gets burned.
(c) She is playing on the roof and falls off.
(d) She burns herself at a bonfire.
14. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
(a) He is not angry and turns it into a physics lesson.
(b) He does not realize that Jeannette is responsible.
(c) He makes Jeannette and Brian rebuild the barn.
(d) He beats Jeannette.
15. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
(b) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
(c) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
(d) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
2. Which of the following descriptions might best describe Jeannette?
3. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
4. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
5. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)