Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
(a) Tired of everything.
2. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
(a) Rex's parents.
(b) Her mother's friends.
(c) Grandma Smith.
(d) Neighbors from when Jeannette was small.
3. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At the author's apartment.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) At a homeless shelter.
4. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) Her brother teaches her.
(b) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(c) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(d) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
5. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
(b) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(c) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
(d) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
6. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(b) He takes them for an Easter present.
(c) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(d) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
7. Where did Rex grow up?
(a) Welch, West Virginia.
(b) Biloxi, Mississippi.
(c) Los Angeles, California.
(d) New York, New York.
8. Why does Rose Mary dislike her teaching job?
(a) Because teaching requires organization and discipline.
(b) She always wanted to be college professor.
(c) Teachers don't make enough money.
(d) Rose Mary dislikes being with other people's children.
9. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
(a) She doesn't want her daughter to lecture her.
(b) It is genuinely not important to her.
(c) She is afraid of being put into a nursing home.
(d) She is deeply ashamed.
10. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
11. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She will not discuss it.
(b) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
(c) She has turned them down.
(d) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
12. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
(b) She believes in very harsh discipline.
(c) She will not let children out of her sight.
(d) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
13. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) Four sisters.
(b) Five brothers.
(c) A brother and two sisters.
(d) No siblings.
14. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
(a) She treats Rex with great respect.
(b) She indulges the children's every whim.
(c) She provides a sense of stability and makes hot meals.
(d) She is very funny and easy-going and loves to play.
15. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(b) The baby is left on top of the car.
(c) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
(d) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
2. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
3. What is the Hot Pot?
4. Which of the following does Rose Mary tell Jeannette about changing?
5. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)