|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions might best describe Jeannette?
(a) Self-reliant, strong.
(b) Angry, bitter.
(c) Indifferent, lazy.
(d) Carefree, giddy.
2. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
(b) Her friends share their lunches with her.
(c) She steals from other children's lunches.
(d) She eats things from the trash.
3. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
(a) He threatens the other employees.
(b) He has a physical disability.
(c) He is an alcoholic.
(d) He does not have any skills.
4. What does Rose Mary inherit when her mother dies?
(a) Her mother's jewelry collection.
(b) A house in Arizona and land in Texas.
(c) A mansion.
(d) Several hundred thousand dollars.
5. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(b) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(c) He takes them for an Easter present.
(d) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
6. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
(a) He makes Jeannette and Brian rebuild the barn.
(b) He does not realize that Jeannette is responsible.
(c) He is not angry and turns it into a physics lesson.
(d) He beats Jeannette.
7. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
(a) Move away to another place.
(b) Help her parents to change.
(c) Move on and have her own life.
(d) Accept her parents as they are.
8. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should tell them it is none of their business.
(b) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(c) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
(d) She should tell the truth.
9. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
(a) He tells them stories at night and plays outside with them.
(b) He likes to play board games and cards with them.
(c) He never does anything with them.
(d) He likes to paint and do ceramics with them.
10. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
(a) Education of any type.
(c) Food and shelter.
11. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) At a homeless shelter.
(c) At the author's apartment.
(d) At a restaurant.
12. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
(a) She calls a mutual friend.
(b) She calls her father and asks him to relay the message.
(c) She sends a letter.
(d) She leaves her a note at a hotel.
13. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
(b) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(c) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
(d) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
14. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
15. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
(a) He does not work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
2. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
3. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
4. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
5. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)