|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) She eats things from the trash.
(b) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
(c) She steals from other children's lunches.
(d) Her friends share their lunches with her.
2. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
(b) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(c) The baby is left on top of the car.
(d) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
3. What is Jeannette's manner of telling her story in Part 1?
(a) With great sadness.
4. Why does Rex say that the family must leave Las Vegas?
(a) He says that a blackjack dealer has figured out his "system" and they could get in trouble.
(b) The family is getting kicked out of their home.
(c) He wants to take them to stay with his mother-in-law.
(d) He says that the FBI is after them.
5. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
(a) She is climbing a tree and falls on a fence.
(b) She is boiling hot dogs and gets burned.
(c) She burns herself at a bonfire.
(d) She is playing on the roof and falls off.
6. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
(a) Because she is angry at her family, and doesn't want to go home.
(b) Because it is quiet and not chaotic.
(c) Because she gets lots of presents from her family.
(d) Because there are lots of children to be friends with.
7. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
(a) Useless things for the house.
(b) Gifts for the kids.
(c) Gifts for his mistress.
(d) Alcohol and gambling.
8. What is Rex's educational background?
(a) He did not graduate high school, but is very well-read.
(b) He is educated and has worked as an engineer.
(c) He has no education beyond grammar school.
(d) He has never had any formal schooling.
9. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
(b) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
(c) They hate the house as it's not very large.
(d) They think the house is old and creepy.
10. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
(b) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
(c) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
(d) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
11. What happens when Brian goes to the Green Lantern?
(a) A woman throws things at him and tells him to leave.
(b) He is embarrassed and runs away.
(c) He sees his father there.
(d) The women there are very kind to him.
12. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
(b) New Orleans.
13. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
(a) Doing odd jobs for their neighbors.
(b) Dealing drugs.
(c) Shoplifting food from stores and selling it.
(d) Scamming banks by making simultaneous withdrawals.
14. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) He takes them for an Easter present.
(b) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(c) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(d) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
15. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(b) Her brother teaches her.
(c) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
(d) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
2. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
3. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
4. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
5. What causes the argument that ends in Rose Mary being dangled out of the window by her feet by Rex?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)