|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
(b) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
(c) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
(d) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
2. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
(a) She is very funny and easy-going and loves to play.
(b) She provides a sense of stability and makes hot meals.
(c) She treats Rex with great respect.
(d) She indulges the children's every whim.
3. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a homeless shelter.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At the author's apartment.
(d) At a hotel.
4. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) She eats things from the trash.
(b) Her friends share their lunches with her.
(c) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
(d) She steals from other children's lunches.
5. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) Her brother teaches her.
(b) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(c) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(d) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
6. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
(a) He never does anything with them.
(b) He likes to play board games and cards with them.
(c) He likes to paint and do ceramics with them.
(d) He tells them stories at night and plays outside with them.
7. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) Two days.
(d) Six weeks.
8. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) The secret place where the children go to play.
(b) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(c) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(d) A bar where the parents often go.
9. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
(a) Scamming banks by making simultaneous withdrawals.
(b) Dealing drugs.
(c) Shoplifting food from stores and selling it.
(d) Doing odd jobs for their neighbors.
10. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
(a) Tired of everything.
11. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) Four sisters.
(b) A brother and two sisters.
(c) Five brothers.
(d) No siblings.
12. What is the glass castle?
(a) The house that Rose Mary grew up.
(b) A place that the kids go to play.
(c) The place that Jeannette escapes to in her dreams.
(d) A home that Rex dreams of building for his family.
13. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
(b) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
(c) The weather makes the baby sick.
(d) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
14. Why does the family leave for Arizona in the middle of the night?
(a) Rose Mary lost her job and doesn't want anyone to know.
(b) They have gotten into a feud with a neighboring family.
(c) They accidentally burned down their house.
(d) The kids want to leave their school.
15. Who is Billy Deel?
(a) Rex's grandfather.
(b) A neighborhood boy three years older than Jeannette.
(c) A good friend of Rex's.
(d) Brian's best friend from school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
2. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
3. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
4. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
5. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)