|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
(a) He has a physical disability.
(b) He does not have any skills.
(c) He is an alcoholic.
(d) He threatens the other employees.
2. What is the glass castle?
(a) The place that Jeannette escapes to in her dreams.
(b) A home that Rex dreams of building for his family.
(c) A place that the kids go to play.
(d) The house that Rose Mary grew up.
3. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) A trip to the zoo.
(b) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(c) A star.
(d) A pet puppy.
4. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
(a) Physical punishment and to learn respect for elders.
(b) Freedom and the chance to learn to fend for themselves.
(c) To be coddled, as they are unable to be responsible.
(d) Strict discipline.
5. Where does Rex work when the family lives in Battle Mountain?
(a) As a hospital orderly.
(b) As a bartender.
(c) In a mine.
(d) He does not have a job.
6. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(b) Goes on to a party.
(c) Calls her friend to talk.
(d) Asks to be taken back home.
7. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her mother is digging through a dumpster.
(b) Her mother is injured, on the side of the road.
(c) Her mother is arguing with a police officer.
(d) Her mother is grocery shopping.
8. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
(b) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
(c) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
(d) The weather makes the baby sick.
9. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(b) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
(c) She has a very hard time academically.
(d) She gets held back a grade.
10. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
(a) Because there are lots of children to be friends with.
(b) Because it is quiet and not chaotic.
(c) Because she gets lots of presents from her family.
(d) Because she is angry at her family, and doesn't want to go home.
11. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
(b) She has turned them down.
(c) She will not discuss it.
(d) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
12. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents in light of her upbringing?
(a) She has a deep rage for them.
(b) She feels fondness and is a bit confused by them.
(c) She is filled with regrets about their relationship.
(d) She wants nothing to do with her parents.
13. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
(a) The children throw something at one of the lions.
(b) Jeannette steals ice cream for her siblings.
(c) Rex allows the children to get behind the bars to pet a cheetah.
(d) Rex tries to sneak all of the children in without paying admission.
14. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
(a) She finds a boyfriend.
(b) She becomes a cheerleader.
(c) She gets glasses and can finally see well.
(d) A teacher takes a great interest in her.
15. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
(a) One week.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeannette has how many siblings?
2. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
3. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
4. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
5. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)