|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rose Mary dislike her teaching job?
(a) Teachers don't make enough money.
(b) Rose Mary dislikes being with other people's children.
(c) She always wanted to be college professor.
(d) Because teaching requires organization and discipline.
2. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
(a) The baby becomes very ill.
(b) The truck breaks down and the children have to hike many hours.
(c) The truck catches on fire.
(d) The door of the U-haul comes open and the parents don't notice.
3. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
(a) She calls a mutual friend.
(b) She sends a letter.
(c) She calls her father and asks him to relay the message.
(d) She leaves her a note at a hotel.
4. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(b) A pet puppy.
(c) A trip to the zoo.
(d) A star.
5. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(b) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(c) He takes them for an Easter present.
(d) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
6. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
(a) She doesn't want her mother to see where she lives.
(b) Her mother will only meet her in public.
(c) Because her mother likes it there.
(d) Because she doesn't want to be seen with her mother.
7. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She has a very hard time academically.
(b) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
(c) She gets held back a grade.
(d) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
8. What is the glass castle?
(a) A place that the kids go to play.
(b) A home that Rex dreams of building for his family.
(c) The house that Rose Mary grew up.
(d) The place that Jeannette escapes to in her dreams.
9. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
(b) She should tell the truth.
(c) She should tell them it is none of their business.
(d) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
10. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
(c) New Orleans.
11. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
(a) She is playing on the roof and falls off.
(b) She is boiling hot dogs and gets burned.
(c) She burns herself at a bonfire.
(d) She is climbing a tree and falls on a fence.
12. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
13. Who is Billy Deel?
(a) A good friend of Rex's.
(b) Rex's grandfather.
(c) Brian's best friend from school.
(d) A neighborhood boy three years older than Jeannette.
14. What does Rose Mary want to discuss with her daughter in Part 1?
(b) The author's childhood.
(c) How she needs help.
(d) Painters and a recent art exhibit.
15. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(b) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(c) A bar where the parents often go.
(d) The secret place where the children go to play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
2. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
3. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
4. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
5. What causes the argument that ends in Rose Mary being dangled out of the window by her feet by Rex?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)