|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
(a) Jeannette steals ice cream for her siblings.
(b) Rex allows the children to get behind the bars to pet a cheetah.
(c) The children throw something at one of the lions.
(d) Rex tries to sneak all of the children in without paying admission.
2. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
(a) Open an art gallery.
(b) Learn to cook.
(c) Go back to college.
(d) Get her children into a better school.
3. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She will not let children out of her sight.
(b) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
(c) She believes in very harsh discipline.
(d) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
4. Who is Billy Deel?
(a) A neighborhood boy three years older than Jeannette.
(b) Rex's grandfather.
(c) A good friend of Rex's.
(d) Brian's best friend from school.
5. What happens when the children are traveling in the back of the U-haul to Battle Mountain?
(a) The truck catches on fire.
(b) The door of the U-haul comes open and the parents don't notice.
(c) The baby becomes very ill.
(d) The truck breaks down and the children have to hike many hours.
6. What kind of work does Rex do while they are in Arizona?
(b) He does not work.
7. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(b) He takes them for an Easter present.
(c) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(d) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
8. Why does Rose Mary dislike her teaching job?
(a) Teachers don't make enough money.
(b) Because teaching requires organization and discipline.
(c) She always wanted to be college professor.
(d) Rose Mary dislikes being with other people's children.
9. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
(a) His friends tell him he should.
(b) He thinks he will see his father there.
(c) Jeannette dares him to.
(d) He wants to meet the girls there.
10. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
(b) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(c) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
(d) She steals her sister's food.
11. How does Rose Mary feel about her current living situation?
(a) She is thinking about returning to her parent's home.
(b) She is angry that she cannot find a job.
(c) She has been looking for a new place for a while and is very frustrated.
(d) She is all right with being homeless.
12. What basic needs do Jeannette's family not always provide?
(a) Food and shelter.
(b) Education of any type.
13. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) The secret place where the children go to play.
(b) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(c) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(d) A bar where the parents often go.
14. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) A brother and two sisters.
(b) Five brothers.
(c) No siblings.
(d) Four sisters.
15. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
(a) She says that she is not allowed to cook, but did it anyway.
(b) She says that she is allowed to cook alone, because she is very mature.
(c) She tells them that her mother injured her on purpose.
(d) She says that her sister distracted her and that is why she got hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette contact Rose Mary to set up a meeting in Part 1?
2. Who helps Rose Mary write and organize her lesson plans?
3. When Rex is able to get to the family's money, what does he spend it on?
4. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
5. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)