|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
(a) Scamming banks by making simultaneous withdrawals.
(b) Dealing drugs.
(c) Doing odd jobs for their neighbors.
(d) Shoplifting food from stores and selling it.
2. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
(a) Go back to college.
(b) Learn to cook.
(c) Open an art gallery.
(d) Get her children into a better school.
3. What happens when Jeannette is released from the hospital?
(a) Jeannette's mother cannot pay the bill, so the hospital lets her go.
(b) Her father takes her out against medical advice.
(c) She is able to get up and walk outside so the doctor tells her she can go.
(d) The doctors realize that they cannot keep her from her family.
4. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
5. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
(a) They are very popular right away.
(b) They are put into advanced classes.
(c) They are all put into special education classes.
(d) They decide not to return after the first week.
6. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
(a) He was in the Air Force.
(b) He was working as an electrical engineer.
(c) He was a traveling salesman.
(d) He did not have a job.
7. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
(b) She should tell them it is none of their business.
(c) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(d) She should tell the truth.
8. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Battle Mountain.
(c) Las Vegas.
(d) West Virginia.
9. How long has Rex worked at the job in Battle Mountain before leaving it?
(a) One month.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
10. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is working in her office.
(b) She is in line at the pharmacy.
(c) She is in a cab, on the way to a party.
(d) She is walking down the street.
11. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
(a) Lori and Jeannette.
(b) Grandma Smith.
(d) The Walls parents.
12. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
(b) Food that she found out in the yard.
(c) Apples from the neighbor's tree.
(d) A stick of margarine with some sugar.
13. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
(a) Because she is angry at her family, and doesn't want to go home.
(b) Because it is quiet and not chaotic.
(c) Because she gets lots of presents from her family.
(d) Because there are lots of children to be friends with.
14. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
(a) They refuse to conform to them.
(b) They are very responsible, but don't like it.
(c) They want to fit in with everyone.
(d) They think rules are very important.
15. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
2. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
3. How does the Walls' financial situation improve for a time in Pheonix?
4. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
5. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)