|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
(b) Her friends share their lunches with her.
(c) She eats things from the trash.
(d) She steals from other children's lunches.
2. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
(c) New Orleans.
3. Where does Rex work when the family lives in Battle Mountain?
(a) He does not have a job.
(b) In a mine.
(c) As a bartender.
(d) As a hospital orderly.
4. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) A trip to the zoo.
(b) A pet puppy.
(c) A star.
(d) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
5. What happens to greatly improve Lori's situation at school and home?
(a) A teacher takes a great interest in her.
(b) She finds a boyfriend.
(c) She gets glasses and can finally see well.
(d) She becomes a cheerleader.
6. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
(a) Rex allows the children to get behind the bars to pet a cheetah.
(b) Rex tries to sneak all of the children in without paying admission.
(c) The children throw something at one of the lions.
(d) Jeannette steals ice cream for her siblings.
7. According to Rose Mary, how should Jeannette explain her mother's situation to others?
(a) She should make up whatever makes her feel best.
(b) She should tell the truth.
(c) She should pretend that her mother is dead.
(d) She should tell them it is none of their business.
8. Jeannette has how many siblings?
(a) No siblings.
(b) Five brothers.
(c) A brother and two sisters.
(d) Four sisters.
9. What happens when the Walls children begin school in Phoenix?
(a) They are put into advanced classes.
(b) They decide not to return after the first week.
(c) They are very popular right away.
(d) They are all put into special education classes.
10. What causes the argument that ends in Rose Mary being dangled out of the window by her feet by Rex?
(a) Rose Mary wants to move again.
(b) Rex is angry at the children and tells Rose Mary.
(c) Rex's being absent from the house while he is "out making money."
(d) Rose Mary caught Rex cheating on her.
11. Which of the following descriptions might best describe Jeannette?
(a) Indifferent, lazy.
(b) Carefree, giddy.
(c) Angry, bitter.
(d) Self-reliant, strong.
12. What happens when Brian goes to the Green Lantern?
(a) The women there are very kind to him.
(b) He is embarrassed and runs away.
(c) He sees his father there.
(d) A woman throws things at him and tells him to leave.
13. What happens when Jeannette is released from the hospital?
(a) Jeannette's mother cannot pay the bill, so the hospital lets her go.
(b) Her father takes her out against medical advice.
(c) The doctors realize that they cannot keep her from her family.
(d) She is able to get up and walk outside so the doctor tells her she can go.
14. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
(b) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
(c) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(d) She steals her sister's food.
15. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A bar where the parents often go.
(b) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(c) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(d) The secret place where the children go to play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
2. What is Rex's educational background?
3. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
4. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
5. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)