|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A bar where the parents often go.
(b) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(c) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(d) The secret place where the children go to play.
2. In Part 2, how old is Jeannette when she gets injured?
(a) A few days old.
(b) Six years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Ten years old.
3. What does Rose Mary inherit when her mother dies?
(a) Several hundred thousand dollars.
(b) A mansion.
(c) Her mother's jewelry collection.
(d) A house in Arizona and land in Texas.
4. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
(a) Grandma Smith.
(b) Her mother's friends.
(c) Neighbors from when Jeannette was small.
(d) Rex's parents.
5. In Part 2, what does Jeannette ask her father for as a Christmas gift?
(a) For her father to take her and her siblings to California.
(b) For a horse.
(c) To be able to go to school in the same place for one whole year.
(d) For him to stop drinking.
6. Who helps Rose Mary write and organize her lesson plans?
(d) Another teacher.
7. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
(b) In a homeless shelter.
(c) In a bad neighborhood.
(d) In a large house in the suburbs.
8. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
(a) He likes to paint and do ceramics with them.
(b) He likes to play board games and cards with them.
(c) He never does anything with them.
(d) He tells them stories at night and plays outside with them.
9. How is Jeannette able to keep from going hungry at school after her father loses his job again?
(a) A kind teacher makes sure that she has lunch every day.
(b) Jeannette takes things from home and trades the items for food.
(c) She steals her sister's food.
(d) She brings in apples from a neighbor's tree.
10. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They think the house is old and creepy.
(b) They hate the house as it's not very large.
(c) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
(d) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
11. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
12. What do the Walls parents teach the children?
(a) They teach them art, but not how to do math or read.
(b) They teach them to read and write, to do math, and practical skills.
(c) They do not teach them any kind of academics.
(d) They do not teach them, but want them to do very well in school.
13. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is in a cab, on the way to a party.
(b) She is walking down the street.
(c) She is in line at the pharmacy.
(d) She is working in her office.
14. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(b) Her brother teaches her.
(c) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(d) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
15. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
(a) She lets the children handle the money.
(b) She spends it all before he can get at it.
(c) She hides it in the house.
(d) She takes it to a bank and does not tell him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
2. How does Rex react when Jeannette accidentally burns the shed down?
3. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
4. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
5. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)