|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) Her friends share their lunches with her.
(b) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
(c) She steals from other children's lunches.
(d) She eats things from the trash.
2. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) The weather makes the baby sick.
(b) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
(c) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
(d) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
3. What is Jeannette's manner of telling her story in Part 1?
(b) With great sadness.
4. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
(a) Grandma Smith.
(b) Lori and Jeannette.
(d) The Walls parents.
5. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
(a) They are very responsible, but don't like it.
(b) They refuse to conform to them.
(c) They think rules are very important.
(d) They want to fit in with everyone.
6. Who is the oldest child in the Walls family?
7. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
(b) In a large house in the suburbs.
(c) In a homeless shelter.
(d) In a bad neighborhood.
8. What is Rose Mary doing when Jeannette first sees her at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her mother is injured, on the side of the road.
(b) Her mother is arguing with a police officer.
(c) Her mother is digging through a dumpster.
(d) Her mother is grocery shopping.
9. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
(a) She burns herself at a bonfire.
(b) She is climbing a tree and falls on a fence.
(c) She is boiling hot dogs and gets burned.
(d) She is playing on the roof and falls off.
10. What is Jeannette's mother doing when Jeannette hurt herself in Part 2?
(a) She is helping Jeannette.
(b) She is not in the house.
(c) She is in the other room, painting.
(d) She is asleep in the living room.
11. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
(a) Get her children into a better school.
(b) Go back to college.
(c) Learn to cook.
(d) Open an art gallery.
12. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
(a) It is an old Spanish-style villa with a pool.
(b) It is a mansion, but has not been well cared for.
(c) It is run-down and located in a bad neighborhood.
(d) It is a small home that they share with her mother's friends.
13. How does the Walls' financial situation improve for a time in Pheonix?
(a) Rex stops drinking and works regularly.
(b) They are getting money from mineral rights on the land in Texas.
(c) Jeannette finds an after-school job that pays well.
(d) Rose Mary begins to sell more of her paintings.
14. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
(a) Strict discipline.
(b) To be coddled, as they are unable to be responsible.
(c) Physical punishment and to learn respect for elders.
(d) Freedom and the chance to learn to fend for themselves.
15. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
(a) Shoplifting food from stores and selling it.
(b) Scamming banks by making simultaneous withdrawals.
(c) Dealing drugs.
(d) Doing odd jobs for their neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
2. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
3. Which of the following descriptions might best describe Jeannette?
4. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
5. How does Jeannette explain her accident to the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)