|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of childhood does Jeannette say she had?
2. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) The baby is left on top of the car.
(b) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
(c) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(d) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
3. Why does Rex take the children to the zoo?
(a) Because he believes that they should learn more about science.
(b) He tells them they should be out doing things, and not in school.
(c) He says that he is getting claustrophobic being in the city.
(d) He takes them for an Easter present.
4. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
(a) Food that she found out in the yard.
(c) Apples from the neighbor's tree.
(d) A stick of margarine with some sugar.
5. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
6. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
(a) Move away to another place.
(b) Move on and have her own life.
(c) Help her parents to change.
(d) Accept her parents as they are.
7. Which of these attributes does Jeannette NOT portray in her style of storytelling?
8. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
(a) Freedom and the chance to learn to fend for themselves.
(b) Physical punishment and to learn respect for elders.
(c) Strict discipline.
(d) To be coddled, as they are unable to be responsible.
9. What causes the argument that ends in Rose Mary being dangled out of the window by her feet by Rex?
(a) Rex's being absent from the house while he is "out making money."
(b) Rose Mary caught Rex cheating on her.
(c) Rex is angry at the children and tells Rose Mary.
(d) Rose Mary wants to move again.
10. Who helps Rose Mary write and organize her lesson plans?
(c) Another teacher.
11. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Las Vegas.
(c) West Virginia.
(d) Battle Mountain.
12. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
(a) Shoplifting food from stores and selling it.
(b) Scamming banks by making simultaneous withdrawals.
(c) Doing odd jobs for their neighbors.
(d) Dealing drugs.
13. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
(a) Neighbors from when Jeannette was small.
(b) Rex's parents.
(c) Grandma Smith.
(d) Her mother's friends.
14. Why does Rex say that the family must leave Las Vegas?
(a) The family is getting kicked out of their home.
(b) He says that the FBI is after them.
(c) He says that a blackjack dealer has figured out his "system" and they could get in trouble.
(d) He wants to take them to stay with his mother-in-law.
15. Where did Jeannette grow up?
(a) Overseas, where her father was in the Air Force.
(b) She moved frequently.
(c) In the deep South.
(d) In Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
2. What happens when Jeannette is released from the hospital?
3. Why does the family leave for Arizona in the middle of the night?
4. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
5. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)