|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He has a physical disability.
(c) He threatens the other employees.
(d) He does not have any skills.
2. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
(a) She is deeply ashamed.
(b) She doesn't want her daughter to lecture her.
(c) She is afraid of being put into a nursing home.
(d) It is genuinely not important to her.
3. What was Rex doing when he met Rose Mary?
(a) He was a traveling salesman.
(b) He was in the Air Force.
(c) He did not have a job.
(d) He was working as an electrical engineer.
4. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(b) A pet puppy.
(c) A trip to the zoo.
(d) A star.
5. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) At a homeless shelter.
(c) At the author's apartment.
(d) At a restaurant.
6. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
(a) His friends tell him he should.
(b) Jeannette dares him to.
(c) He thinks he will see his father there.
(d) He wants to meet the girls there.
7. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
(b) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
(c) They think the house is old and creepy.
(d) They hate the house as it's not very large.
8. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
(a) Because her mother likes it there.
(b) Because she doesn't want to be seen with her mother.
(c) She doesn't want her mother to see where she lives.
(d) Her mother will only meet her in public.
9. In Part 2, what does Jeannette ask her father for as a Christmas gift?
(a) For him to stop drinking.
(b) To be able to go to school in the same place for one whole year.
(c) For a horse.
(d) For her father to take her and her siblings to California.
10. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
(a) Move on and have her own life.
(b) Move away to another place.
(c) Help her parents to change.
(d) Accept her parents as they are.
11. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
(a) They are very responsible, but don't like it.
(b) They want to fit in with everyone.
(c) They think rules are very important.
(d) They refuse to conform to them.
12. What does Rose Mary inherit when her mother dies?
(a) A house in Arizona and land in Texas.
(b) Her mother's jewelry collection.
(c) A mansion.
(d) Several hundred thousand dollars.
13. In Part 2, how old is Jeannette when she gets injured?
(a) A few days old.
(b) Six years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Ten years old.
14. How long does Jeannette stay in the hospital?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) One year.
15. Where is Jeannette going when she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is in line at the pharmacy.
(b) She is walking down the street.
(c) She is working in her office.
(d) She is in a cab, on the way to a party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
2. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
3. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
4. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
5. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)