|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Rex worked at the job in Battle Mountain before leaving it?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
2. How has Rose Mary reacted to previous offers of help from her children?
(a) She becomes angry but takes the help anyway.
(b) She tells them that she wants to change but doesn't know how.
(c) She has turned them down.
(d) She will not discuss it.
3. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
(a) She is playing on the roof and falls off.
(b) She is boiling hot dogs and gets burned.
(c) She is climbing a tree and falls on a fence.
(d) She burns herself at a bonfire.
4. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) They are homeless.
(b) With friends in a housing project.
(c) In a halfway house.
(d) In a nursing home.
5. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They think the house is old and creepy.
(b) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
(c) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
(d) They hate the house as it's not very large.
6. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
(a) He wants to meet the girls there.
(b) His friends tell him he should.
(c) Jeannette dares him to.
(d) He thinks he will see his father there.
7. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) West Virginia.
(b) Las Vegas.
(c) Battle Mountain.
8. What causes the argument that ends in Rose Mary being dangled out of the window by her feet by Rex?
(a) Rose Mary caught Rex cheating on her.
(b) Rex's being absent from the house while he is "out making money."
(c) Rose Mary wants to move again.
(d) Rex is angry at the children and tells Rose Mary.
9. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
(a) He threatens the other employees.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) He has a physical disability.
(d) He does not have any skills.
10. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents in light of her upbringing?
(a) She has a deep rage for them.
(b) She wants nothing to do with her parents.
(c) She is filled with regrets about their relationship.
(d) She feels fondness and is a bit confused by them.
11. Who is the youngest child in the Walls family?
12. How does Rose Mary feel about her current living situation?
(a) She is angry that she cannot find a job.
(b) She is thinking about returning to her parent's home.
(c) She is all right with being homeless.
(d) She has been looking for a new place for a while and is very frustrated.
13. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) The weather makes the baby sick.
(b) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
(c) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
(d) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
14. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
(a) It is a mansion, but has not been well cared for.
(b) It is an old Spanish-style villa with a pool.
(c) It is run-down and located in a bad neighborhood.
(d) It is a small home that they share with her mother's friends.
15. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying with Grandma Smith?
(a) She is very funny and easy-going and loves to play.
(b) She provides a sense of stability and makes hot meals.
(c) She treats Rex with great respect.
(d) She indulges the children's every whim.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
2. The family often lacks basic necessities, which is underscored by an incident in which Jeannette finds her sister, Lori, eating what?
3. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
4. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
5. Where does Jeannette decide to meet Rose Mary in Part 1?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)