|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jeannette enjoy staying in the hospital?
(a) Because she gets lots of presents from her family.
(b) Because she is angry at her family, and doesn't want to go home.
(c) Because there are lots of children to be friends with.
(d) Because it is quiet and not chaotic.
2. How does Rose Mary feel about her current living situation?
(a) She is all right with being homeless.
(b) She is angry that she cannot find a job.
(c) She is thinking about returning to her parent's home.
(d) She has been looking for a new place for a while and is very frustrated.
3. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
(a) Grandma Smith.
(b) The Walls parents.
(c) Lori and Jeannette.
4. Where did Jeannette's mother grow up?
(a) New Orleans.
5. What is Rose Mary's philosophy on child-rearing?
(a) She thinks that children should not be allowed to make decisions.
(b) She believes that children need freedom and no structure.
(c) She will not let children out of her sight.
(d) She believes in very harsh discipline.
6. Where did Rex grow up?
(a) Welch, West Virginia.
(b) Los Angeles, California.
(c) New York, New York.
(d) Biloxi, Mississippi.
7. Where does Rex work when the family lives in Battle Mountain?
(a) As a hospital orderly.
(b) He does not have a job.
(c) As a bartender.
(d) In a mine.
8. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In a halfway house.
(b) With friends in a housing project.
(c) In a nursing home.
(d) They are homeless.
9. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
(a) Jeannette steals ice cream for her siblings.
(b) The children throw something at one of the lions.
(c) Rex tries to sneak all of the children in without paying admission.
(d) Rex allows the children to get behind the bars to pet a cheetah.
10. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
(b) They hate the house as it's not very large.
(c) They think the house is old and creepy.
(d) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
11. What genre of book is "The Glass Castle"?
12. How does Rose Mary try to keep Rex from spending the family's money?
(a) She hides it in the house.
(b) She spends it all before he can get at it.
(c) She lets the children handle the money.
(d) She takes it to a bank and does not tell him.
13. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
(a) Tired of everything.
14. What is the incident in the first section of Part 2 that serves as a metaphor for the neglect that the children suffer?
(a) Brian is left in an apartment alone when the family moves.
(b) Lori runs away and the family doesn't realize that she is gone.
(c) Jeannette falls out of the car and her parents don't notice for a while.
(d) The baby is left on top of the car.
15. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
(c) Prison Guard.
(d) College Professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jeannette's feelings towards her parents in light of her upbringing?
2. Why won't Rose Mary talk about her homelessness?
3. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
4. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
5. How long has Rex worked at the job in Battle Mountain before leaving it?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)