|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lily Ruth Maureen is born, where does the family move?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) Battle Mountain.
(c) West Virginia.
2. Where does Jeannette live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In a homeless shelter.
(b) In a large house in the suburbs.
(c) In a bad neighborhood.
(d) In an apartment on Park Avenue.
3. Why does Rex tell his family that he has lost his job?
(a) His boss does not like him.
(b) There is no more work, the company is closing.
(c) Because it's time to quit and "look for gold."
(d) Because the government made his company fire him.
4. Rex and Rose Mary make some money for the family by:
(a) Doing odd jobs for their neighbors.
(b) Shoplifting food from stores and selling it.
(c) Scamming banks by making simultaneous withdrawals.
(d) Dealing drugs.
5. Who does Jeannette think that they are going to see and maybe even stay with in Arizona?
(a) Her mother's friends.
(b) Neighbors from when Jeannette was small.
(c) Rex's parents.
(d) Grandma Smith.
6. Why does the family often pick up and leave in the middle of the night?
(a) Rex is convinced that government agents or police are after the family.
(b) Rose Mary wants the children to travel all of the time.
(c) Rex is a convict and the family must not be discovered.
(d) The weather makes the baby sick.
7. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
(b) College Professor.
(c) Prison Guard.
8. How does Jeannette learn to swim?
(a) Her brother teaches her.
(b) She falls into the water and has to swim to shore on her own.
(c) She is able to take lessons at the local country club.
(d) Her father throws her into the water repeatedly until she swims.
9. What type of childhood does Jeannette say she had?
10. What incident gets the Walls family escorted out of the zoo by security?
(a) Rex allows the children to get behind the bars to pet a cheetah.
(b) Jeannette steals ice cream for her siblings.
(c) Rex tries to sneak all of the children in without paying admission.
(d) The children throw something at one of the lions.
11. Where do Jeannette's parents live in Part 1 of the book?
(a) In a nursing home.
(b) With friends in a housing project.
(c) In a halfway house.
(d) They are homeless.
12. What do the children think of their new home in Arizona?
(a) They hate the house as it's not very large.
(b) They think the house is old and creepy.
(c) They feel as if they are living in a mansion.
(d) They wish that they still lived in Battle Mountain.
13. Rose Mary hopes to do what while they are living in Phoenix?
(a) Get her children into a better school.
(b) Open an art gallery.
(c) Go back to college.
(d) Learn to cook.
14. What are Jeannette's parents' feelings regarding society's rules?
(a) They want to fit in with everyone.
(b) They refuse to conform to them.
(c) They think rules are very important.
(d) They are very responsible, but don't like it.
15. How does Jeannette feel as she looks around her comfortable apartment?
(c) Tired of everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family leave for Arizona in the middle of the night?
2. Why does Jeannette meet Rose Mary at this location in Part 1?
3. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
4. In Part 2, how old is Jeannette when she gets injured?
5. What types of activities does Rex do with his children?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)