|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jeannette get food to eat at school when she's hungry?
(a) Her friends share their lunches with her.
(b) She steals from other children's lunches.
(c) She eats things from the trash.
(d) She steals money to buy a snack each day.
2. Jeannette's parents believe that children need:
(a) Physical punishment and to learn respect for elders.
(b) To be coddled, as they are unable to be responsible.
(c) Freedom and the chance to learn to fend for themselves.
(d) Strict discipline.
3. Where did Jeannette grow up?
(a) In the deep South.
(b) Overseas, where her father was in the Air Force.
(c) She moved frequently.
(d) In Canada.
4. What is the Green Lantern?
(a) A brothel that the children frequently walk by.
(b) The secret place where the children go to play.
(c) A spot in the woods where Jeannette and Brian play.
(d) A bar where the parents often go.
5. What is the Walls' house in Arizona like?
(a) It is a mansion, but has not been well cared for.
(b) It is run-down and located in a bad neighborhood.
(c) It is an old Spanish-style villa with a pool.
(d) It is a small home that they share with her mother's friends.
6. What type of childhood does Jeannette say she had?
7. What does Jeannette do after she first sees Rose Mary at the beginning of the book?
(a) Goes on to a party.
(b) Asks to be taken back home.
(d) Calls her friend to talk.
8. What genre of book is "The Glass Castle"?
9. When Rex has no money to buy Christmas presents for the children, what does he give them?
(a) An hour to talk with him about anything they want.
(b) A trip to the zoo.
(c) A pet puppy.
(d) A star.
10. Why does Brian go to investigate the Green Lantern?
(a) He thinks he will see his father there.
(b) He wants to meet the girls there.
(c) His friends tell him he should.
(d) Jeannette dares him to.
11. Why does Rex lose so many jobs?
(a) He does not have any skills.
(b) He threatens the other employees.
(c) He has a physical disability.
(d) He is an alcoholic.
12. Who takes care of baby Maureen while the family is moving?
(a) Grandma Smith.
(b) Lori and Jeannette.
(c) The Walls parents.
13. What is Jeannette's manner of telling her story in Part 1?
(a) With great sadness.
14. What else does Rose Mary tell Jeannette in their meeting that she should do?
(a) Move on and have her own life.
(b) Move away to another place.
(c) Help her parents to change.
(d) Accept her parents as they are.
15. What happens to Jeannette when she first starts school in Blythe?
(a) She has a very hard time academically.
(b) She hates school and hides out to avoid it.
(c) She gets held back a grade.
(d) She is picked on because of her intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, what does Jeannette ask her father for as a Christmas gift?
2. Which of the following best describes Jeannette's childhood?
3. What job did Rose Mary once hold?
4. Why does Rex tell his family that he has lost his job?
5. How does Jeannette end up hurting herself in Part 2?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)