|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the students need a receptionist every class period?
2. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
3. Why does a student say John Tu gives instead of handouts?
4. How do the Freedom Writers hone their writing craft?
5. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
2. Who is Peter Maass?
3. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
4. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
5. What does the prom queen write about her life?
6. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
7. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
8. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
9. How does Gruwell spend the summer of 1996?
10. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence is an everyday occurrence for the Freedom Writers in their homes and neighborhoods. Write about the violence they see everyday. How does this violence affect the students? How does this violence affect their families or friends? How does writing the diaries help the students learn to deal with the violence in their lives? Does Gruwell help the students to break this cycle of violence?
Essay Topic 2
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Zlata says during her visit that the Bosnian Children become "soldiers" and the soldiers became "children". What does Zlata mean by that statement? What happens to children during a war? How do soldiers behave when trying to achieve their goals? How are the roles reversed?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)