|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
2. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
3. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
4. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
5. What do the students do when they walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in the spring of 1997?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The students study Ralph Waldo Emerson when learning about self-reliance. What does this quote by Emerson mean: "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"? How does the quote relate to self-reliance? From their diary entries, list examples of how the students are becoming more self-reliant. How is Gruwell helping the students become more self-reliant? How are the circumstances in their daily lives making the students more self-reliant?
Essay Topic 2
The motto of the American Jewish Committee that issues the Micah Award is "Whoever saves one life saves the world entire." What does that statement mean? How does that apply to Zlata? How does that statement apply to Anne Frank and those who helped her family? How does that statement apply to Gruwell and the Freedom Writers?
Essay Topic 3
Zlata says during her visit that the Bosnian Children become "soldiers" and the soldiers became "children". What does Zlata mean by that statement? What happens to children during a war? How do soldiers behave when trying to achieve their goals? How are the roles reversed?
This section contains 1,521 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)