|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Guess? Company sponsoring a trip for some of the Freedom Writers?
2. How does one student describe Ritalin?
3. Why, a few weeks before graduation, does a student have to give up his dream of attending a prestigious technical school?
4. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
5. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
2. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
3. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
4. What magical event occurs at the Lincoln Memorial?
5. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
6. Why is Gruwell scared sometimes when she drives students home?
7. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
8. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
9. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what does someone suggest?
10. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the foreword to the book, Zlata mentions that good comes out of something bad. Several students, also mention in their diary entries how something bad turns into something positive. Write about what Zlata means that good comes from bad. What examples does Zlata give that shows good comes from bad circumstances? What do students say about difficult circumstances providing positive results? Provide examples from the book when something seems negative, but leads to positive results.
Essay Topic 2
In Diary 107, a student compares the students at an elementary school to lotus flowers. Why does the student compare these children to lotus flowers? In what type of environment do lotus flowers grow? How is the environment of a lotus plant similar to the environment the children from the elementary school live in?
Essay Topic 3
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)