|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a student get kicked off the basketball team this senior year?
2. Why do the students have a particular place they want to visit after walking down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial?
3. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
4. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
5. Why do the students sign an honor code?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does reading "Catcher in the Rye" make a student begin to think about the consequences of suicide?
2. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
3. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
4. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
5. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
6. What does Gruwell do after the student's graduate?
7. Why it Christmas Eve so difficult for the student who writes Diary 113?
8. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
9. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
10. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in the book is the parallel between warfare as experienced by Anne Frank and Zlata Filipovic and the violence the students see in their everyday lives. How can the events in Anne's and Zlata's lives be compared to the student's lives? What kind of violence did Frank and Filipovic experience? What type of violence do the students experience? How is the violence that Anne and Zlata experienced similar or dissimilar to what the students face?
Essay Topic 2
The students study Ralph Waldo Emerson when learning about self-reliance. What does this quote by Emerson mean: "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"? How does the quote relate to self-reliance? From their diary entries, list examples of how the students are becoming more self-reliant. How is Gruwell helping the students become more self-reliant? How are the circumstances in their daily lives making the students more self-reliant?
Essay Topic 3
In Diary 119, a student asks journalist Peter Maass how he can "simply sit and watch people die." Write about Mr. Maass's answer. Do you agree with his answer? Why or why not?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)