Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
2. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
3. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
4. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
5. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
Essay Topic 1
What comparisons can be made between Zlata and the Freedom Writers? How are Zlata and the Freedom Writers subjected to things that can make them victims? Why don't Zlata and the Freedom Writers become victims? How does writing help all of them? Provide examples from the foreword and the book.
Essay Topic 2
A theme in the book is the parallel between warfare as experienced by Anne Frank and Zlata Filipovic and the violence the students see in their everyday lives. How can the events in Anne's and Zlata's lives be compared to the student's lives? What kind of violence did Frank and Filipovic experience? What type of violence do the students experience? How is the violence that Anne and Zlata experienced similar or dissimilar to what the students face?
Essay Topic 3
In the foreword to the book, Zlata mentions that good comes out of something bad. Several students, also mention in their diary entries how something bad turns into something positive. Write about what Zlata means that good comes from bad. What examples does Zlata give that shows good comes from bad circumstances? What do students say about difficult circumstances providing positive results? Provide examples from the book when something seems negative, but leads to positive results.
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)