|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
2. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
3. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
4. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
5. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
Essay Topic 1
In Diary 69, a student compares his/her neighborhood to "The Brady Bunch". Write about what life is like for the Brady Bunch. Compare the lives portrayed on the television show to the life this student leads. How are the neighborhoods different? How are their lives different? Is there anything about their lives that is the same?
Essay Topic 2
The fall semester of 1996, a student says that America is at war. Is America at war? Why or why not? What examples are provided in the book? Why do students at Wilson High School say that America is at war? Who are the combatants if America is at war?
Essay Topic 3
What comparisons can be made between Zlata and the Freedom Writers? How are Zlata and the Freedom Writers subjected to things that can make them victims? Why don't Zlata and the Freedom Writers become victims? How does writing help all of them? Provide examples from the foreword and the book.
This section contains 1,488 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)