|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a student get kicked off the basketball team this senior year?
2. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
3. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
4. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
5. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
Essay Topic 1
A mother tells her child in Diary 99 that "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" A person the student looks up to says "Adversity makes warriors of us all." What do each of these statements mean? How can a person become stronger through difficulties? How can adversity make a person a warrior? How does the student feel about these statements at first? What person inspires the student? How does this person help the student to realize the possibilities that life holds?
Essay Topic 2
What comparisons can be made between Zlata and the Freedom Writers? How are Zlata and the Freedom Writers subjected to things that can make them victims? Why don't Zlata and the Freedom Writers become victims? How does writing help all of them? Provide examples from the foreword and the book.
Essay Topic 3
The fall semester of 1996, a student says that America is at war. Is America at war? Why or why not? What examples are provided in the book? Why do students at Wilson High School say that America is at war? Who are the combatants if America is at war?
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)