|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the students sign an honor code?
2. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
3. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
4. What happens to Teres's father?
5. When one of the juniors was twelve, how did her grandmother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it difficult for Gruwell to get permission to teach the students their senior year?
2. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
3. Why does a student mention that her/his mother said that "Silence gets you nowhere in life"?
4. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
5. What does the prom queen write about her life?
6. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
7. Why does a student feel that "National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People" is stamped on her forehead?
8. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
9. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
10. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fall semester of 1996, a student says that America is at war. Is America at war? Why or why not? What examples are provided in the book? Why do students at Wilson High School say that America is at war? Who are the combatants if America is at war?
Essay Topic 2
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Zlata says during her visit that the Bosnian Children become "soldiers" and the soldiers became "children". What does Zlata mean by that statement? What happens to children during a war? How do soldiers behave when trying to achieve their goals? How are the roles reversed?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)