|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
2. Who challenges the Freedom Writers to not just talk, but "to walk the walk"?
3. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
4. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
5. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gruwell scared sometimes when she drives students home?
2. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
3. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
4. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what does someone suggest?
5. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
6. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
7. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
8. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
9. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
10. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What comparisons can be made between Zlata and the Freedom Writers? How are Zlata and the Freedom Writers subjected to things that can make them victims? Why don't Zlata and the Freedom Writers become victims? How does writing help all of them? Provide examples from the foreword and the book.
Essay Topic 2
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
Essay Topic 3
In Diary 107, a student compares the students at an elementary school to lotus flowers. Why does the student compare these children to lotus flowers? In what type of environment do lotus flowers grow? How is the environment of a lotus plant similar to the environment the children from the elementary school live in?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)