|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Guess? Company sponsoring a trip for some of the Freedom Writers?
2. What do the Freedom Writers do after their first year in college?
3. Although their destinations after high school are different, what is still the same for the Freedom Writers?
4. What happens after a student drives John Tu to his car?
5. Why does a student say John Tu gives instead of handouts?
Essay Topic 1
In Diary 107, a student compares the students at an elementary school to lotus flowers. Why does the student compare these children to lotus flowers? In what type of environment do lotus flowers grow? How is the environment of a lotus plant similar to the environment the children from the elementary school live in?
Essay Topic 2
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Things change for the Freedom Writers from the time they begin classes with Gruwell their freshman year beyond when they graduate from high school. What are some changes students make? What books, people, or events help students to change? List examples from the book of how specific students change and what specific things help the students to change.
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)