|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prom queen's native country?
2. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
3. How does one student describe Ritalin?
4. Besides moving forward, what are the Freedom Writers doing?
5. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, where do they wish to go next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
2. Why does a student feel that "National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People" is stamped on her forehead?
3. Who is Peter Maass?
4. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
5. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
6. Why it Christmas Eve so difficult for the student who writes Diary 113?
7. How does Gruwell spend the summer of 1996?
8. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
9. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
10. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Zlata comes to visit and people ask her her nationality, she tells them "I'm a human being." Why is it strange that adults ask this question? What happens if instead of labeling people, people are treated as individuals? What does the writer of Diary 47 say about this incident? How is the world a better place if we are all treated just as human beings? What happens if there are no labels?
Essay Topic 2
Zlata says during her visit that the Bosnian Children become "soldiers" and the soldiers became "children". What does Zlata mean by that statement? What happens to children during a war? How do soldiers behave when trying to achieve their goals? How are the roles reversed?
Essay Topic 3
The motto of the American Jewish Committee that issues the Micah Award is "Whoever saves one life saves the world entire." What does that statement mean? How does that apply to Zlata? How does that statement apply to Anne Frank and those who helped her family? How does that statement apply to Gruwell and the Freedom Writers?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)