|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Until the students found the safety of Room 203, what did they see to be a solution to their problems?
2. How does one student describe Ritalin?
3. What is a student referring to when she says she is a loving girl, but there is pain in her heart?
4. How does Cheryl Best inspire a student?
5. One student has never been on a Freedom Writers trip before. Why does the student get to go to D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it difficult for Gruwell to get permission to teach the students their senior year?
2. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
3. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
4. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
5. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
6. How does Gruwell spend the summer of 1996?
7. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
8. Why it Christmas Eve so difficult for the student who writes Diary 113?
9. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what does someone suggest?
10. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Diary 119, a student asks journalist Peter Maass how he can "simply sit and watch people die." Write about Mr. Maass's answer. Do you agree with his answer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The motto of the American Jewish Committee that issues the Micah Award is "Whoever saves one life saves the world entire." What does that statement mean? How does that apply to Zlata? How does that statement apply to Anne Frank and those who helped her family? How does that statement apply to Gruwell and the Freedom Writers?
Essay Topic 3
The fall semester of 1996, a student says that America is at war. Is America at war? Why or why not? What examples are provided in the book? Why do students at Wilson High School say that America is at war? Who are the combatants if America is at war?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)