|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
2. What is a student referring to when she says she is a loving girl, but there is pain in her heart?
3. Who wrote, "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"?
4. Who says, "Earning happiness means doing good and working, not speculating and being lazy"?
5. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
2. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
3. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
4. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
5. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what does someone suggest?
6. Why does a student mention that her/his mother said that "Silence gets you nowhere in life"?
7. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
8. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
9. Why is Gruwell scared sometimes when she drives students home?
10. Why it Christmas Eve so difficult for the student who writes Diary 113?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write why Gruwell decides that she is being hypocritical at the beginning of the sophomore year. What is hypocrisy? How is Gruwell being hypocritical? How is Gruwell using labels to describe people? What is the danger of stereotyping? How many of the teachers actually are out to get Gruwell? Who helps Gruwell understand her hypocrisy?
Essay Topic 2
The students study Ralph Waldo Emerson when learning about self-reliance. What does this quote by Emerson mean: "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"? How does the quote relate to self-reliance? From their diary entries, list examples of how the students are becoming more self-reliant. How is Gruwell helping the students become more self-reliant? How are the circumstances in their daily lives making the students more self-reliant?
Essay Topic 3
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)