|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
2. What happened to one student before emigrating to the United States from Peru?
3. Why does one student call the story "The Last Spin" a trip?
4. In her thank you letter, what does Zlata tell the students not to forget?
5. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
2. Who is Miep Gies?
3. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
4. Why is a student excited to meet a Japanese man who was in an internment camp during World War I?
5. Who is Gerda Seifer?
6. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
7. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
8. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
9. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
10. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the foreword to the book, Zlata mentions that good comes out of something bad. Several students, also mention in their diary entries how something bad turns into something positive. Write about what Zlata means that good comes from bad. What examples does Zlata give that shows good comes from bad circumstances? What do students say about difficult circumstances providing positive results? Provide examples from the book when something seems negative, but leads to positive results.
Essay Topic 2
The students study Ralph Waldo Emerson when learning about self-reliance. What does this quote by Emerson mean: "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"? How does the quote relate to self-reliance? From their diary entries, list examples of how the students are becoming more self-reliant. How is Gruwell helping the students become more self-reliant? How are the circumstances in their daily lives making the students more self-reliant?
Essay Topic 3
In Diary 69, a student compares his/her neighborhood to "The Brady Bunch". Write about what life is like for the Brady Bunch. Compare the lives portrayed on the television show to the life this student leads. How are the neighborhoods different? How are their lives different? Is there anything about their lives that is the same?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)