|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
2. Why does one student apologize in Diary 50?
3. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
4. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
5. What happens to a student's friends a year ago, when the student was a freshman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
2. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
3. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
4. Describe what happens when a student is in a liquor store buying candy?
5. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
6. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
7. What do the students do when they play the peanut game?
8. What is tagging?
9. Who is Miep Gies?
10. Why does one student feel like Cinderella after a dinner at the Century City Marriott?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the fall semester of the sophomore year, a student struggles with the decision of whether to protect a "homie" and lie in court or to tell the truth. Before the student went to courtroom, what does s/he plan to say? What changes the student's mind? What conversation with his/her mother may be a factor in the student's decision? What circumstances in the student's own life may influence the student's decision? What does the student finally decide to do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
When Zlata comes to visit and people ask her her nationality, she tells them "I'm a human being." Why is it strange that adults ask this question? What happens if instead of labeling people, people are treated as individuals? What does the writer of Diary 47 say about this incident? How is the world a better place if we are all treated just as human beings? What happens if there are no labels?
Essay Topic 3
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)