|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gruwell student teaching?
2. What is the perfect Cinderella story for one student?
3. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
4. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
5. What book relates to the life of a student who lives in an interment camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zlata mean when she says we cannot erase evil from the world, but can change the way we deal with it?
2. What is tagging?
3. Why does one student feel like Cinderella after a dinner at the Century City Marriott?
4. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
5. In Diary 46, why does a student's father dislike her best friend?
6. As described in Chapter 1, why does a student get a gun to protect him/herself?
7. Who is Miep Gies?
8. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
9. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
10. What happens to a Croatian boy named Tony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The motto of the American Jewish Committee that issues the Micah Award is "Whoever saves one life saves the world entire." What does that statement mean? How does that apply to Zlata? How does that statement apply to Anne Frank and those who helped her family? How does that statement apply to Gruwell and the Freedom Writers?
Essay Topic 2
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Zlata says during her visit that the Bosnian Children become "soldiers" and the soldiers became "children". What does Zlata mean by that statement? What happens to children during a war? How do soldiers behave when trying to achieve their goals? How are the roles reversed?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)