Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
2. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
3. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
4. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
5. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
3. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
4. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
5. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
6. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
7. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
8. Who is Peter Maass?
9. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
10. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
Essay Topic 1
Zlata says during her visit that the Bosnian Children become "soldiers" and the soldiers became "children". What does Zlata mean by that statement? What happens to children during a war? How do soldiers behave when trying to achieve their goals? How are the roles reversed?
Essay Topic 2
During the spring semester of 1996, Gruwell asks, "If you could live an eternity and not change a thing or exist for the blink of an eye and alter everything, what do you choose?" How does Gruwell relate this statement to the students' lives? What does she tell the students they can do? How are the students to seize the moment? Which is better, to live forever and leave the world the same or live for a moment and change everything?
Essay Topic 3
The fall semester of 1996, a student says that America is at war. Is America at war? Why or why not? What examples are provided in the book? Why do students at Wilson High School say that America is at war? Who are the combatants if America is at war?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)