|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
2. Why is Gruwell not allowed to teach Sharaud and his classmates the following year?
3. What happens to a student's friends a year ago, when the student was a freshman?
4. What does Zlata have in common with the students?
5. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
2. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
3. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
4. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
5. Why it Christmas Eve so difficult for the student who writes Diary 113?
6. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
7. What do the Freedom Writers want readers of their book to do?
8. What is tagging?
9. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
10. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
Essay Topic 1
Write why Gruwell decides that she is being hypocritical at the beginning of the sophomore year. What is hypocrisy? How is Gruwell being hypocritical? How is Gruwell using labels to describe people? What is the danger of stereotyping? How many of the teachers actually are out to get Gruwell? Who helps Gruwell understand her hypocrisy?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in the book is the parallel between warfare as experienced by Anne Frank and Zlata Filipovic and the violence the students see in their everyday lives. How can the events in Anne's and Zlata's lives be compared to the student's lives? What kind of violence did Frank and Filipovic experience? What type of violence do the students experience? How is the violence that Anne and Zlata experienced similar or dissimilar to what the students face?
Essay Topic 3
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
This section contains 2,026 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)