|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zlata's diary become?
2. What happens to a student when she runs away with her boyfriend?
3. What does one student do during a "three-week vacation" from school the spring of the freshman year?
4. Why does one student call the story "The Last Spin" a trip?
5. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is tagging?
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
3. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
4. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
5. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
6. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
7. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
8. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
9. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
10. As described in Chapter 1, why does a student get a gun to protect him/herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zlata says during her visit that the Bosnian Children become "soldiers" and the soldiers became "children". What does Zlata mean by that statement? What happens to children during a war? How do soldiers behave when trying to achieve their goals? How are the roles reversed?
Essay Topic 2
Things change for the Freedom Writers from the time they begin classes with Gruwell their freshman year beyond when they graduate from high school. What are some changes students make? What books, people, or events help students to change? List examples from the book of how specific students change and what specific things help the students to change.
Essay Topic 3
In Diary 119, a student asks journalist Peter Maass how he can "simply sit and watch people die." Write about Mr. Maass's answer. Do you agree with his answer? Why or why not?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)