|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
2. What does one student do during a "three-week vacation" from school the spring of the freshman year?
3. Why can't a student go to a movie with her best friend?
4. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
5. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Gerda Seifer?
2. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
3. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
4. In Diary 46, why does a student's father dislike her best friend?
5. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
6. As described in Chapter 1, why does a student get a gun to protect him/herself?
7. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
8. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
9. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
10. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The students study Ralph Waldo Emerson when learning about self-reliance. What does this quote by Emerson mean: "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"? How does the quote relate to self-reliance? From their diary entries, list examples of how the students are becoming more self-reliant. How is Gruwell helping the students become more self-reliant? How are the circumstances in their daily lives making the students more self-reliant?
Essay Topic 2
The fall semester of 1996, a student says that America is at war. Is America at war? Why or why not? What examples are provided in the book? Why do students at Wilson High School say that America is at war? Who are the combatants if America is at war?
Essay Topic 3
A mother tells her child in Diary 99 that "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" A person the student looks up to says "Adversity makes warriors of us all." What do each of these statements mean? How can a person become stronger through difficulties? How can adversity make a person a warrior? How does the student feel about these statements at first? What person inspires the student? How does this person help the student to realize the possibilities that life holds?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)