|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
2. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
3. What does Zlata say about Erin Gruwell?
4. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
5. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
3. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
4. What happens to a Croatian boy named Tony?
5. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
6. What is tagging?
7. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
8. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
9. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
10. What do the students do when they play the peanut game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Diary 119, a student asks journalist Peter Maass how he can "simply sit and watch people die." Write about Mr. Maass's answer. Do you agree with his answer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The motto of the American Jewish Committee that issues the Micah Award is "Whoever saves one life saves the world entire." What does that statement mean? How does that apply to Zlata? How does that statement apply to Anne Frank and those who helped her family? How does that statement apply to Gruwell and the Freedom Writers?
Essay Topic 3
What does it mean "World peace is only a dream because people won't allow themselves and others around them to simply be peanuts"? Explain the meaning of the phrase, and why a student compares people to peanuts. How do peanuts compare to people? What happens if people are allowed to be peanuts? What does people living in harmony have to do with the appearance of peanuts?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)