|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
2. In her thank you letter, what does Zlata tell the students not to forget?
3. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
4. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
5. What does one student realize after playing the Peanut Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Gerda Seifer?
2. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
3. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
4. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
5. What does Zlata mean when she says we cannot erase evil from the world, but can change the way we deal with it?
6. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
7. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
8. What is tagging?
9. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
10. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Diary 69, a student compares his/her neighborhood to "The Brady Bunch". Write about what life is like for the Brady Bunch. Compare the lives portrayed on the television show to the life this student leads. How are the neighborhoods different? How are their lives different? Is there anything about their lives that is the same?
Essay Topic 2
In Diary 107, a student compares the students at an elementary school to lotus flowers. Why does the student compare these children to lotus flowers? In what type of environment do lotus flowers grow? How is the environment of a lotus plant similar to the environment the children from the elementary school live in?
Essay Topic 3
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)