|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
2. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
3. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
4. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
5. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
3. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
4. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
5. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
6. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
7. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
8. Who is Peter Maass?
9. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
10. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
Essay Topic 1
During the fall semester of the sophomore year, a student struggles with the decision of whether to protect a "homie" and lie in court or to tell the truth. Before the student went to courtroom, what does s/he plan to say? What changes the student's mind? What conversation with his/her mother may be a factor in the student's decision? What circumstances in the student's own life may influence the student's decision? What does the student finally decide to do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Zlata says during her visit that the Bosnian Children become "soldiers" and the soldiers became "children". What does Zlata mean by that statement? What happens to children during a war? How do soldiers behave when trying to achieve their goals? How are the roles reversed?
Essay Topic 3
During the spring semester of 1996, Tommy makes a statement: "They say America is the 'Land of the Free and home of the Brave,' but what's so free about a land where people get killed?" What does Tommy mean by this statement? What examples does he give to demonstrate what he means by this statement? Why does Tommy make this statement? What is he comparing when he makes this statement?
This section contains 2,124 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)