Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
2. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
3. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
4. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
5. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
3. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
4. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
5. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
6. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
7. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
8. Who is Peter Maass?
9. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
10. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
Write why Gruwell decides that she is being hypocritical at the beginning of the sophomore year. What is hypocrisy? How is Gruwell being hypocritical? How is Gruwell using labels to describe people? What is the danger of stereotyping? How many of the teachers actually are out to get Gruwell? Who helps Gruwell understand her hypocrisy?
What comparisons can be made between Zlata and the Freedom Writers? How are Zlata and the Freedom Writers subjected to things that can make them victims? Why don't Zlata and the Freedom Writers become victims? How does writing help all of them? Provide examples from the foreword and the book.
The students study Ralph Waldo Emerson when learning about self-reliance. What does this quote by Emerson mean: "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"? How does the quote relate to self-reliance? From their diary entries, list examples of how the students are becoming more self-reliant. How is Gruwell helping the students become more self-reliant? How are the circumstances in their daily lives making the students more self-reliant?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)