Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
2. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
3. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
4. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
5. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
3. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
4. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
5. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
6. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
7. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
8. Who is Peter Maass?
9. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
10. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
Essay Topic 1
Things change for the Freedom Writers from the time they begin classes with Gruwell their freshman year beyond when they graduate from high school. What are some changes students make? What books, people, or events help students to change? List examples from the book of how specific students change and what specific things help the students to change.
Essay Topic 2
When Zlata comes to visit and people ask her her nationality, she tells them "I'm a human being." Why is it strange that adults ask this question? What happens if instead of labeling people, people are treated as individuals? What does the writer of Diary 47 say about this incident? How is the world a better place if we are all treated just as human beings? What happens if there are no labels?
Essay Topic 3
A theme in the book is the parallel between warfare as experienced by Anne Frank and Zlata Filipovic and the violence the students see in their everyday lives. How can the events in Anne's and Zlata's lives be compared to the student's lives? What kind of violence did Frank and Filipovic experience? What type of violence do the students experience? How is the violence that Anne and Zlata experienced similar or dissimilar to what the students face?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)