|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
2. What makes Tommy Jefferson, a football player, cry?
3. In the spring of 1995, who offers to help take the students on a field trip?
4. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
5. Why does one student have to be out of school for a week or two and miss the beginning of the sophomore year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
2. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
3. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
4. Describe what happens when a student is in a liquor store buying candy?
5. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
6. Who is Gerda Seifer?
7. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
8. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
9. Who is Miep Gies?
10. As described in Chapter 1, why does a student get a gun to protect him/herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the spring semester of 1996, Gruwell asks, "If you could live an eternity and not change a thing or exist for the blink of an eye and alter everything, what do you choose?" How does Gruwell relate this statement to the students' lives? What does she tell the students they can do? How are the students to seize the moment? Which is better, to live forever and leave the world the same or live for a moment and change everything?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in the book is the parallel between warfare as experienced by Anne Frank and Zlata Filipovic and the violence the students see in their everyday lives. How can the events in Anne's and Zlata's lives be compared to the student's lives? What kind of violence did Frank and Filipovic experience? What type of violence do the students experience? How is the violence that Anne and Zlata experienced similar or dissimilar to what the students face?
Essay Topic 3
The motto of the American Jewish Committee that issues the Micah Award is "Whoever saves one life saves the world entire." What does that statement mean? How does that apply to Zlata? How does that statement apply to Anne Frank and those who helped her family? How does that statement apply to Gruwell and the Freedom Writers?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)