|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
2. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
3. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
4. What happens to a student's friends a year ago, when the student was a freshman?
5. In Diary One, how long does the student give Gruwell before she quits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
2. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
3. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
4. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
5. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
6. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
7. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
8. Who is Gerda Seifer?
9. In Diary 46, why does a student's father dislike her best friend?
10. Describe what happens when a student is in a liquor store buying candy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fall semester of 1996, a student says that America is at war. Is America at war? Why or why not? What examples are provided in the book? Why do students at Wilson High School say that America is at war? Who are the combatants if America is at war?
Essay Topic 2
In Diary 119, a student asks journalist Peter Maass how he can "simply sit and watch people die." Write about Mr. Maass's answer. Do you agree with his answer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write why Gruwell decides that she is being hypocritical at the beginning of the sophomore year. What is hypocrisy? How is Gruwell being hypocritical? How is Gruwell using labels to describe people? What is the danger of stereotyping? How many of the teachers actually are out to get Gruwell? Who helps Gruwell understand her hypocrisy?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)