|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her thank you letter, what does Zlata tell the students not to forget?
2. In the fall of 1994, why does one student say s/he does not belong in Gruwell's class?
3. Why are some students not allowed to go to the Medieval Times Restaurant?
4. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
5. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
Short Essay Questions
1. What journey begins for Gruwell as the book opens?
2. Who is Gerda Seifer?
3. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
4. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
5. Describe what happens when a student is in a liquor store buying candy?
6. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
7. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
8. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
9. What is tagging?
10. What do the students do when they play the peanut game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the fall semester of the sophomore year, a student struggles with the decision of whether to protect a "homie" and lie in court or to tell the truth. Before the student went to courtroom, what does s/he plan to say? What changes the student's mind? What conversation with his/her mother may be a factor in the student's decision? What circumstances in the student's own life may influence the student's decision? What does the student finally decide to do? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The motto of the American Jewish Committee that issues the Micah Award is "Whoever saves one life saves the world entire." What does that statement mean? How does that apply to Zlata? How does that statement apply to Anne Frank and those who helped her family? How does that statement apply to Gruwell and the Freedom Writers?
Essay Topic 3
In Diary 69, a student compares his/her neighborhood to "The Brady Bunch". Write about what life is like for the Brady Bunch. Compare the lives portrayed on the television show to the life this student leads. How are the neighborhoods different? How are their lives different? Is there anything about their lives that is the same?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)