|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Zlata when she speaks to the students?
2. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
3. How difficult is it for a student at Wilson to buy a gun?
4. Who is the teacher of the students at Wilson High School?
5. What did Zlata's diary become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
2. Why is a student excited to meet a Japanese man who was in an internment camp during World War I?
3. Who is Miep Gies?
4. What does Zlata mean when she says we cannot erase evil from the world, but can change the way we deal with it?
5. Describe what happens when a student is in a liquor store buying candy?
6. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
7. Why does one student feel like Cinderella after a dinner at the Century City Marriott?
8. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
9. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
10. What journey begins for Gruwell as the book opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in the book is the parallel between warfare as experienced by Anne Frank and Zlata Filipovic and the violence the students see in their everyday lives. How can the events in Anne's and Zlata's lives be compared to the student's lives? What kind of violence did Frank and Filipovic experience? What type of violence do the students experience? How is the violence that Anne and Zlata experienced similar or dissimilar to what the students face?
Essay Topic 2
Write why Gruwell decides that she is being hypocritical at the beginning of the sophomore year. What is hypocrisy? How is Gruwell being hypocritical? How is Gruwell using labels to describe people? What is the danger of stereotyping? How many of the teachers actually are out to get Gruwell? Who helps Gruwell understand her hypocrisy?
Essay Topic 3
What does it mean "World peace is only a dream because people won't allow themselves and others around them to simply be peanuts"? Explain the meaning of the phrase, and why a student compares people to peanuts. How do peanuts compare to people? What happens if people are allowed to be peanuts? What does people living in harmony have to do with the appearance of peanuts?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)