|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
(a) "Silence gets you nowhere in life."
(b) "Success comes only to those who take advantage of opportunities."
(c) "A missed opportunity can never be made up."
(d) "Only those who take advantage of opportunities in life succeed."
2. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
(b) Volunteer with at-risk students.
(c) Write to the students.
(d) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
3. Why does a student say John Tu gives instead of handouts?
4. Why do the students have a particular place they want to visit after walking down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) That is where their journey began.
(b) They know they may never return to Washington, D.C.
(c) They always wanted to travel abroard.
(d) They want to see the national library.
5. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Eldredge Cleaver.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) Malcom X.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
2. Who wrote, "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"?
3. Why at the Lincoln Monument does Gruwell begin to understand why moms cry at school plays and graduations?
4. What happens to the computers after the students graduate?
5. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
2. Why does reading "Catcher in the Rye" make a student begin to think about the consequences of suicide?
3. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
4. What does the prom queen write about her life?
5. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
6. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
7. What magical event occurs at the Lincoln Memorial?
8. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
9. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
10. Why is Gruwell scared sometimes when she drives students home?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)