|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a student amazed at being chosen to speak in front of Barbara Boxer, their senator?
(a) The student does not have good grades.
(b) Because the student has done some very outrageous things over the years.
(c) The student has a speech impediment.
(d) The student is deaf and speaks with sign language.
2. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
(a) The lessons learned in Gruwell's class.
(b) John Tu's encouragement.
(c) All the awards they receive.
(d) Words of Anne Frank.
3. Although their destinations after high school are different, what is still the same for the Freedom Writers?
(a) They are mentoring kids from the projects.
(b) They are all attending college.
(c) Their common goal.
(d) Their full-ride scholarships.
4. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
(a) "A missed opportunity can never be made up."
(b) "Success comes only to those who take advantage of opportunities."
(c) "Silence gets you nowhere in life."
(d) "Only those who take advantage of opportunities in life succeed."
5. Why does a student say John Tu gives instead of handouts?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a mother of a student die of shortly before her Christmas Eve birthday?
2. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
3. Who publishes the Freedom Writer's diaries?
4. What do the students do when they walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in the spring of 1997?
5. What Christmas song is twisted during a sorority hazing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
2. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
3. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
4. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
5. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
6. Why it Christmas Eve so difficult for the student who writes Diary 113?
7. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
8. Why does a student feel that "National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People" is stamped on her forehead?
9. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
10. What do the Freedom Writers want readers of their book to do?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)