|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Write to the students.
(b) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
(c) Volunteer with at-risk students.
(d) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
2. How do the Freedom Writers hone their writing craft?
(a) Gruwell and other teachers work with them one-on-one.
(b) They create a college course.
(c) They hire tutors.
(d) The school board brings in tutors.
3. What do the Freedom Writers do after their first year in college?
(a) Go to an impoverished country and build houses.
(b) Tour Europe.
(c) Visit South America.
(d) Go to China.
4. Who says, "Earning happiness means doing good and working, not speculating and being lazy"?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Anne Frank.
(c) Zlata Filipovic.
(d) Miep Gies.
5. What reporter does a student mention from the Los Angeles Times?
(a) Anita Wright.
(b) Nancy Wride.
(c) Nellie WIlliams.
(d) Nancy Phillips.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a student want to tell a prisoner in West Virginia?
2. When the students are speaking at an elementary school, what icebreaker question brings nearly everyone forward?
3. What Christmas song is twisted during a sorority hazing?
4. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
5. Who challenges the Freedom Writers to not just talk, but "to walk the walk"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
2. What does the prom queen write about her life?
3. Why does a student feel that "National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People" is stamped on her forehead?
4. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
5. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
6. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
7. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
8. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
9. How does Gruwell spend the summer of 1996?
10. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)