|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a truly self-reliant person do, according to Chapter V?
(a) Find his weak link and strengthen it.
(b) Not accept help from anyone.
(c) Not rely on anyone.
(d) Lean on family and friends for support.
2. Why do the students sign an honor code?
(a) So no one embellishes or sensationalizes their stories.
(b) So there is not any further cheating on exams.
(c) So there is not any further stealing of personal belongings.
(d) So there is not any further fighting.
3. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
(a) Teachers at the high school.
(b) Dr. Cohn and Karin Polacheck.
(c) The teachers' union.
(d) John Tu.
4. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) She has to deal with practical matters of the trip.
(b) She is too tired.
(c) Their funds are getting low and they do not have as many sponsors any more.
(d) She is not sure that she wants to take another trip so soon.
5. Who challenges the Freedom Writers to not just talk, but "to walk the walk"?
(a) Erin Gruwell.
(b) John Tu.
(c) Connie Cheung.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a student feel after editing a story about an abortion?
2. Why does a student have to be head of the household and worry about rent and car payments Senior year?
3. When the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what motto do they chant?
4. What reporter does a student mention from the Los Angeles Times?
5. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
2. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
3. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
4. Who is Peter Maass?
5. How does Gruwell spend the summer of 1996?
6. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
7. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
8. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
9. What does the prom queen write about her life?
10. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)