|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a student's mother usually get twice as many presents on Christmas Eve as everyone else?
(a) She doesn't get many present as a child and her parents are trying to make up for it.
(b) Because her husband is sorry for the years he isn't there for the family.
(c) Christmas Eve is her birthday.
(d) Because she has so many children.
2. Besides moving forward, what are the Freedom Writers doing?
(a) Writing novels, poetry, and newspaper or magazine articles.
(b) Volunteering at the Museum of Tolerance.
(c) Pulling family members and friends along too.
(d) Serving as volunteers.
3. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) She is not sure that she wants to take another trip so soon.
(b) Their funds are getting low and they do not have as many sponsors any more.
(c) She is too tired.
(d) She has to deal with practical matters of the trip.
4. Why, a few weeks before graduation, does a student have to give up his dream of attending a prestigious technical school?
(a) His father is ill.
(b) His mother dies.
(c) He does not get a scholarship.
(d) He flunks several of his classes.
5. What does Gruwell do the summer of 1996?
(a) Teach at Cal State.
(b) Teach at National University and go to Europe.
(c) Work at Nordstrom's and the Marriott.
(d) Look for a new job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
2. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
3. Until the students found the safety of Room 203, what did they see to be a solution to their problems?
4. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
5. How do the Freedom Writers hone their writing craft?
Short Essay Questions
1. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
2. Who is Peter Maass?
3. What do the Freedom Writers want readers of their book to do?
4. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
5. Why is Gruwell scared sometimes when she drives students home?
6. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
7. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
8. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
9. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
10. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)