|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Christmas 1997, what do the students have to do to accept an award?
(a) Mentor other students.
(b) Go to New York City.
(c) Submit their diaries.
(d) Fly to Washington, D.C..
2. Although their destinations after high school are different, what is still the same for the Freedom Writers?
(a) They are all attending college.
(b) Their full-ride scholarships.
(c) They are mentoring kids from the projects.
(d) Their common goal.
3. How does one student describe Ritalin?
(a) It has the power to control like a lasso on a horse.
(b) It makes you drowsy.
(c) It is like taking speed.
(d) It makes you dizzy like being on a carnival ride.
4. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Volunteer with at-risk students.
(b) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
(c) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
(d) Write to the students.
5. What reporter does a student mention from the Los Angeles Times?
(a) Nellie WIlliams.
(b) Nancy Wride.
(c) Nancy Phillips.
(d) Anita Wright.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
2. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
3. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
4. Why do the students sign an honor code?
5. What happens to Teres's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
2. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
3. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
4. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
5. What magical event occurs at the Lincoln Memorial?
6. Why is it difficult for Gruwell to get permission to teach the students their senior year?
7. How does Gruwell spend the summer of 1996?
8. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what does someone suggest?
9. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
10. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)