|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
(a) "Success comes only to those who take advantage of opportunities."
(b) "Silence gets you nowhere in life."
(c) "Only those who take advantage of opportunities in life succeed."
(d) "A missed opportunity can never be made up."
2. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because there isn't time.
(b) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
(c) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(d) Because there aren't any good black writers.
3. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
(a) Gruwell chooses who rooms with who.
(b) The students choose their roommates.
(c) The students stay with private individuals.
(d) The students stay with holocaust survivors.
4. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
(a) John Tu's encouragement.
(b) Words of Anne Frank.
(c) The lessons learned in Gruwell's class.
(d) All the awards they receive.
5. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
(b) Police officer.
(d) Soldier in a war.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Christmas 1997, what award do the students win?
2. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
3. Why does a student have to be head of the household and worry about rent and car payments Senior year?
4. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
5. What is a student referring to when she says she is a loving girl, but there is pain in her heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
2. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
3. Why does a student feel that "National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People" is stamped on her forehead?
4. What does the prom queen write about her life?
5. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
6. Why does a student mention that her/his mother said that "Silence gets you nowhere in life"?
7. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
8. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
9. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
10. Who is Peter Maass?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)