|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
(a) The student would rather write fiction than be reminded of events s/he wishes to suppress.
(b) Because the student does feel their writing is very good.
(c) Because the student does not like being anonymous.
(d) Because the student thinks everyone should write their own book.
2. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
(a) The students stay with holocaust survivors.
(b) The students stay with private individuals.
(c) Gruwell chooses who rooms with who.
(d) The students choose their roommates.
3. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
(a) Words of Anne Frank.
(b) All the awards they receive.
(c) John Tu's encouragement.
(d) The lessons learned in Gruwell's class.
4. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
(a) Blacks for Freedom.
(b) Freedom Riders.
(c) Freedom Fighters.
(d) Riders for Black Rights.
5. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
(a) How a best friend died in a gang war.
(b) The student's abusive father.
(c) The books the student has read that influence him.
(d) The gang the student belongs to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
2. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
3. Who said, "The best method of overcoming your obstacles is the team method"?
4. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
5. Besides moving forward, what are the Freedom Writers doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
2. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
3. Why does a student mention that her/his mother said that "Silence gets you nowhere in life"?
4. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
5. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
6. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what does someone suggest?
7. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
8. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
9. Why is Gruwell scared sometimes when she drives students home?
10. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)