|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) The Color Purple.
(b) Catcher in the Rye.
(c) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(d) Scared Silent.
2. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) Their funds are getting low and they do not have as many sponsors any more.
(b) She is too tired.
(c) She has to deal with practical matters of the trip.
(d) She is not sure that she wants to take another trip so soon.
3. How does one student describe Ritalin?
(a) It makes you drowsy.
(b) It has the power to control like a lasso on a horse.
(c) It is like taking speed.
(d) It makes you dizzy like being on a carnival ride.
4. What does Gruwell do the summer of 1996?
(a) Teach at National University and go to Europe.
(b) Look for a new job.
(c) Work at Nordstrom's and the Marriott.
(d) Teach at Cal State.
5. What is a student referring to when she says she is a loving girl, but there is pain in her heart?
(a) Her mother is dying.
(b) Her best friend died.
(c) She wishes she has a boyfriend.
(d) She is in an abusive relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
2. What poem does a student write after realizing living in the ghetto and having brown skin does not mean you cannot be successful?
3. Why does a student have to be head of the household and worry about rent and car payments Senior year?
4. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
5. Why does a student get kicked off the basketball team this senior year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Freedom Writers want readers of their book to do?
2. Who is Peter Maass?
3. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
4. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
5. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
6. What does the prom queen write about her life?
7. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
8. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
9. Why does a student feel that "National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People" is stamped on her forehead?
10. What magical event occurs at the Lincoln Memorial?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)