|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
(a) Gruwell thanks her for coming to see the class.
(b) Zlata is the inspiration for the latest writing project.
(c) That Gruwell is going to Bosnia.
(d) Gruwell asks her if she comes again.
2. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(b) Catcher in the Rye.
(c) The Color Purple.
(d) Scared Silent.
3. Why do the students have a particular place they want to visit after walking down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) That is where their journey began.
(b) They know they may never return to Washington, D.C.
(c) They want to see the national library.
(d) They always wanted to travel abroard.
4. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Celeste Wiley.
(d) Lurma Rackley.
5. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
(a) Because the student does not turn in homework.
(b) Because the student draws pictures rather than taking notes in class.
(c) Because the student does not answer questions in class.
(d) Because the student says s/he is dyslexic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
2. How do the Freedom Writers hone their writing craft?
3. Why do the students sign an honor code?
4. Why, a few weeks before graduation, does a student have to give up his dream of attending a prestigious technical school?
5. What is the prom queen's native country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
2. Why does reading "Catcher in the Rye" make a student begin to think about the consequences of suicide?
3. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
4. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
5. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
6. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
7. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
8. What does the prom queen write about her life?
9. Why is it difficult for Gruwell to get permission to teach the students their senior year?
10. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)