|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Freedom Writers mentor students?
(a) Wilson Elementary School.
(b) Newport Beach Elementary School.
(c) Long Beach Elementary School.
(d) Butler Elementary School.
2. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
(a) The mother doen't do anything.
(b) Bring a list of black literature to the principal.
(c) Yell at the teacher.
(d) Go to the school board.
3. Why is a student amazed at being chosen to speak in front of Barbara Boxer, their senator?
(a) Because the student has done some very outrageous things over the years.
(b) The student is deaf and speaks with sign language.
(c) The student does not have good grades.
(d) The student has a speech impediment.
4. How does a student feel after editing a story about an abortion?
(a) That more girls make the choice to have an abortion.
(b) That no one has an abortion.
(c) That he was with his girlfriend when she had her abortion.
(d) That his girlfriend did not have an abortion.
5. Why do the students sign an honor code?
(a) So there is not any further stealing of personal belongings.
(b) So there is not any further fighting.
(c) So there is not any further cheating on exams.
(d) So no one embellishes or sensationalizes their stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
2. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
3. How does a mother of a student die of shortly before her Christmas Eve birthday?
4. Why does a student have to be head of the household and worry about rent and car payments Senior year?
5. Why is the Guess? Company sponsoring a trip for some of the Freedom Writers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gruwell spend the summer of 1996?
2. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
3. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
4. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
5. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
6. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
7. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what does someone suggest?
8. Why does reading "Catcher in the Rye" make a student begin to think about the consequences of suicide?
9. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
10. What does the prom queen write about her life?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)