|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a mother of a student die of shortly before her Christmas Eve birthday?
(a) Shot in the chest.
(b) Raped and left for dead.
(d) Heroin overdose.
2. Why at the Lincoln Monument does Gruwell begin to understand why moms cry at school plays and graduations?
(a) She is not looking forward to losing the students after they graduated.
(b) She can't find one of the students.
(c) She is so proud of the Freedom Writers.
(d) She is worried about getting everyone back on the buses.
3. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
(a) A concert.
(b) A bake sale.
(c) Donations from wealthy donors.
(d) A basketball game.
4. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
(a) "Only those who take advantage of opportunities in life succeed."
(b) "A missed opportunity can never be made up."
(c) "Success comes only to those who take advantage of opportunities."
(d) "Silence gets you nowhere in life."
5. What museum do the students visit in D.C.?
(a) Holocaust Museum.
(c) Library of Congress.
(d) National Gallery of Art.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
2. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
3. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
4. Why is it difficult for some students to take the SATs?
5. What does a truly self-reliant person do, according to Chapter V?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why it Christmas Eve so difficult for the student who writes Diary 113?
2. Why is it difficult for Gruwell to get permission to teach the students their senior year?
3. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
4. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
5. Why does a student mention that her/his mother said that "Silence gets you nowhere in life"?
6. Why are little kids bad in the projects?
7. Why does a student feel that "National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People" is stamped on her forehead?
8. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
9. What does the prom queen write about her life?
10. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)