|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(b) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(c) Because he moves so quickly.
(d) Because he is a slob.
2. Why do the students and Gruwell have to climb out the window of the school one night?
(a) Because they are not supposed to be in the building after hours.
(b) That is how they get into the school.
(c) So the alarms don't go off.
(d) Because there is a gang fight outside the front door.
3. Who says, "Earning happiness means doing good and working, not speculating and being lazy"?
(a) Miep Gies.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Zlata Filipovic.
(d) Anne Frank.
4. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, where do they wish to go next?
(a) The Library of Congress.
(b) The Smithsonian.
(c) Anne Frank's attic.
5. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
(a) "Silence gets you nowhere in life."
(b) "Only those who take advantage of opportunities in life succeed."
(c) "Success comes only to those who take advantage of opportunities."
(d) "A missed opportunity can never be made up."
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
2. Why does Gruwell feel guilty when she drives students home if they stay late after school?
3. Why is it difficult for some students to take the SATs?
4. What happens to Teres's father?
5. After Christmas 1997, what award do the students win?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
2. What does Gruwell do after the student's graduate?
3. Who is Peter Maass?
4. What do the Freedom Writers want readers of their book to do?
5. Why does reading "Catcher in the Rye" make a student begin to think about the consequences of suicide?
6. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
7. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
8. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
9. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
10. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)