|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What museum do the students visit in D.C.?
(a) National Gallery of Art.
(c) Holocaust Museum.
(d) Library of Congress.
2. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) She has to deal with practical matters of the trip.
(b) She is not sure that she wants to take another trip so soon.
(c) Their funds are getting low and they do not have as many sponsors any more.
(d) She is too tired.
3. Where do the Freedom Writers mentor students?
(a) Long Beach Elementary School.
(b) Newport Beach Elementary School.
(c) Butler Elementary School.
(d) Wilson Elementary School.
4. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Celeste Wiley.
(b) Lurma Rackley.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Rosa Parks.
5. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
(a) U. S. Secretary of Education.
(b) President of the United States.
(c) Their congressman.
(d) Their senator.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Christmas 1997, what do the students have to do to accept an award?
2. Why is the Guess? Company sponsoring a trip for some of the Freedom Writers?
3. What does a student want to tell a prisoner in West Virginia?
4. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
5. What does the student who used to play park league and Pop Warner football receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
2. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
3. Why is getting kicked off the basketball team eventually a positive thing for Joan?
4. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
5. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
6. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
7. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
8. What do the Freedom Writers want readers of their book to do?
9. In Diary 103, how many girls does the student know that go to college?
10. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)