|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the prom queen's native country?
2. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(b) Because he is a slob.
(c) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(d) Because he moves so quickly.
3. Why does a student's mother usually get twice as many presents on Christmas Eve as everyone else?
(a) Because her husband is sorry for the years he isn't there for the family.
(b) Because she has so many children.
(c) Christmas Eve is her birthday.
(d) She doesn't get many present as a child and her parents are trying to make up for it.
4. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
(a) Bring a list of black literature to the principal.
(b) The mother doen't do anything.
(c) Yell at the teacher.
(d) Go to the school board.
5. Who are Jopie and Lies?
(a) Anne Frank's parents.
(b) Anne Frank's aunt and uncle.
(c) Children from the family that hid the Franks during the war.
(d) Anne's best friends from school before the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
2. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
3. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
4. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
5. In Chapter V, what illness runs in a student's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
2. What magical event occurs at the Lincoln Memorial?
3. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
4. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
5. Why is it difficult for Gruwell to get permission to teach the students their senior year?
6. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
7. Why does a student feel that "National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People" is stamped on her forehead?
8. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
9. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
10. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)