|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
(a) NASA's Johnson Space Center.
(b) Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena.
2. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
(a) Because the student does not answer questions in class.
(b) Because the student says s/he is dyslexic.
(c) Because the student does not turn in homework.
(d) Because the student draws pictures rather than taking notes in class.
3. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
(a) Kanye West.
(b) Snoop Doggy Dogg.
(c) 50 Cent.
4. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
(a) Because the student does not like being anonymous.
(b) The student would rather write fiction than be reminded of events s/he wishes to suppress.
(c) Because the student does feel their writing is very good.
(d) Because the student thinks everyone should write their own book.
5. Besides moving forward, what are the Freedom Writers doing?
(a) Writing novels, poetry, and newspaper or magazine articles.
(b) Volunteering at the Museum of Tolerance.
(c) Pulling family members and friends along too.
(d) Serving as volunteers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a student say John Tu gives instead of handouts?
2. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
3. What program is created to teach tolerance to kids who feel as if they don't fit in?
4. What Christmas song is twisted during a sorority hazing?
5. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
2. Why is a student acting as receptionist in the classroom by Chapter VII?
3. Why does a student refer to choices s/he is making as if the student is a traveler in Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken"?
4. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
5. Who is a prisoner who writes the Freedom Writers from West Virginia?
6. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
7. Why did a student charge a Coke machine when s/he was young?
8. Why is it difficult for Gruwell to get permission to teach the students their senior year?
9. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
10. What circumstances lead to a student being offered a job from John Tu?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)