|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Christmas 1997, what award do the students win?
(a) Freedom Award.
(b) Mies Giep Award.
(c) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr., Award.
2. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
(a) Gruwell asks her if she comes again.
(b) Zlata is the inspiration for the latest writing project.
(c) Gruwell thanks her for coming to see the class.
(d) That Gruwell is going to Bosnia.
3. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
(a) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional football or not.
(b) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional soccer.
(c) The player is trying to decide whether to play professional basketball.
(d) The student is trying to decide whether to go to college or play minor league baseball.
4. Why do the students and Gruwell have to climb out the window of the school one night?
(a) So the alarms don't go off.
(b) That is how they get into the school.
(c) Because they are not supposed to be in the building after hours.
(d) Because there is a gang fight outside the front door.
5. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
(a) A person who does not work hard.
(b) A person who likes to party.
(c) A person who is hardworking.
(d) A person who is a homebody.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what motto do they chant?
2. When one of the juniors was twelve, how did her grandmother die?
3. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
4. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
5. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
2. Why it Christmas Eve so difficult for the student who writes Diary 113?
3. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
4. Why is it difficult for Gruwell to get permission to teach the students their senior year?
5. Since Europe is over a year away, what takes precedence in Gruwell's plans after graduation?
6. Who is Peter Maass?
7. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
8. Why is Gruwell scared sometimes when she drives students home?
9. How does Gruwell spend the summer of 1996?
10. What does the prom queen write about her life?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)