|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the diaries written anonymously?
(a) The school board says the students have to remain anonymous.
(b) The principal insisted that the students remain anonymous.
(c) The students are embarassed of their writing.
(d) To protect the students and show the universality of their experiences.
2. What is Sharaud's goal when he arrives in Gruwell's class?
(a) Play basketball.
(b) Make his preppy student teacher cry.
(c) Drop out of school.
(d) Do well in his studies.
3. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
(a) Private donors.
(b) She also works at the Marriott Hotel and Norstroms.
(c) The students and their parents pay.
(d) Gruwell has a trust fund.
4. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
(a) She cannot find another position.
(b) The teachers beg her to stay at Wilson High.
(c) She realizes her hypocrisy.
(d) Other jobs do not pay as well as Wilson High.
5. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
(a) Tears clothes that she tries on.
(b) Put lipstick on clothes she tries on.
(d) Meet a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
2. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
3. Who are the "Dream Team Moms"?
4. What does Zlata hope the Freedom Writers Diary will do?
5. What amazes a student about the bathrooms at the Century City Marriott?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is tagging?
2. As described in Chapter 1, why does a student get a gun to protect him/herself?
3. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
4. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
5. Why is a student excited to meet a Japanese man who was in an internment camp during World War I?
6. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
7. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
8. Who is Miep Gies?
9. What does Zlata mean when she says we cannot erase evil from the world, but can change the way we deal with it?
10. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)