|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
(a) The Oklahoma City bombing.
(b) The student's mother's trial for murder.
(c) A trial where the student is a witness.
(d) The trial of the student's brother for murder.
2. Who are the "Dream Team Moms"?
(a) Mothers of the football players.
(b) Mothers who adopt the class as their kids.
(c) Mothers who bake cookies for teachers.
(d) Mothers of the basketball players.
3. What is Sharaud's goal when he arrives in Gruwell's class?
(a) Drop out of school.
(b) Play basketball.
(c) Do well in his studies.
(d) Make his preppy student teacher cry.
4. When does Zlata meet the students of Wilson High School?
(a) December, 1997.
(b) September, 1998.
(c) March, 2006.
(d) March, 1996.
5. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
(a) Gruwell has a trust fund.
(b) Private donors.
(c) The students and their parents pay.
(d) She also works at the Marriott Hotel and Norstroms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
2. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
3. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
4. What does Zlata have in common with the students?
5. Who is the teacher of the students at Wilson High School?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
2. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
3. What does Zlata mean when she says we cannot erase evil from the world, but can change the way we deal with it?
4. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
5. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
6. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
7. Why does one student feel like Cinderella after a dinner at the Century City Marriott?
8. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
9. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
10. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)