|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
(b) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
(c) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(d) The Wave and Night.
2. What makes Tommy Jefferson, a football player, cry?
(a) Zlata's experience.
(b) Anne Frank's experience.
(c) His father's death.
(d) The death of a friend.
3. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
(a) Miep Gies.
(b) Steven Spielberg.
(c) Anne Frank.
(d) Zlata Filipovic.
4. How difficult is it for a student at Wilson to buy a gun?
(a) Difficult, because a gun is very expensive.
(b) Very difficult.
(c) It is as easy as buying bubble gum.
(d) It is impossible; no one sells a student a gun.
5. What does Zlata hope the Freedom Writers Diary will do?
(a) Inspire people to write to fight prejudice and to deal with events in a positive way.
(b) Help the Freedom Writers become successful writers.
(c) Make money so the Freedom Writers can pay for college.
(d) Help the families of the Freedom Writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
2. How old is Zlata when she speaks to the students?
3. What does one student do during a "three-week vacation" from school the spring of the freshman year?
4. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
5. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
3. Who is Miep Gies?
4. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
5. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
6. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
7. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
8. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
9. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
10. In Diary 46, why does a student's father dislike her best friend?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)