|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Gruwell not allowed to teach Sharaud and his classmates the following year?
(a) She asks to be transferred to a different class.
(b) She is going to a different high school.
(c) She doesn't have enough seniority.
(d) She does not do a very good job of teaching.
2. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
(a) He thinks Tommy is doing well in school.
(b) Most teachers do not bother to keep parents informed.
(c) Teachers doesn't usually call to say Tommy is doing well.
(d) A teacher never calls him before.
3. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
(b) Honored, proud, and amazed.
(c) Honored, but not interested.
(d) Frustrated and nervous.
4. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
(a) Because the character has a preppy school teacher also.
(b) Because either they, a family member, or a friend has been in jail.
(c) Because the character dislikes school also.
(d) Because they are the same race as the main character.
5. What is a four-letter word not in the students' vocabulary, according to Gruwell their sophomore year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the class split up their junior year?
2. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
3. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
4. Who is Miep Gies?
5. What does Zlata say about Erin Gruwell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when a student is in a liquor store buying candy?
2. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
3. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
4. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
5. Why does one student feel like Cinderella after a dinner at the Century City Marriott?
6. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
7. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
8. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
9. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
10. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)