|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
(a) Not being pretty.
(b) Not being handsome.
(c) Having a disfiguring scar.
(d) Being overweight.
2. Why does one student have to be out of school for a week or two and miss the beginning of the sophomore year?
(a) The student's mother dies.
(b) The student's father dies.
(c) He has to be in juvenile hall.
(d) He has to have sinus surgery.
3. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
(a) At his aunt's house.
(b) His church.
(c) Room 407.
(d) Room 203.
4. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
(a) Miep Gies.
(b) Zlata Filipovic.
(c) Steven Spielberg.
(d) Anne Frank.
5. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
(a) More concerned about her students.
(b) Boring like the other teachers.
(c) More interesting, like the other teachers.
(d) Less concerned about grades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
2. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
3. Who is Miep Gies?
4. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
5. Why does one student call the story "The Last Spin" a trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
2. Who is Gerda Seifer?
3. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
4. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
5. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
6. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
7. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
8. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
9. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
10. Why is a student excited to meet a Japanese man who was in an internment camp during World War I?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)