|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
2. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
(a) Losing a favorite employee.
(b) Finding the body of a little girl with other dead bodies waiting to be burned.
(c) Seeing Jews herded into cattle cars.
(d) Losing a good friend.
3. What does Zlata have in common with the students?
(a) They like the same rock bands.
(b) They have all lost parents.
(c) They are teenagers.
(d) They all have seen war.
4. In the fall of 1994, why does one student say s/he does not belong in Gruwell's class?
(a) Because there is a mix up in the schedule.
(b) Because the student is Latino.
(c) Because the student's test scores are high.
(d) Because the student is white.
5. What does one student say when she compares her father to John Tu?
(a) Tu is very rude to her.
(b) Tu is shorter than her father.
(c) Tu is taller than her father.
(d) That Tu gives her more attention in seven minutes than her dad has in seven years.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Zlata meet the students of Wilson High School?
2. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
3. Why does the class split up their junior year?
4. What types of students attend Wilson High?
5. How old is Zlata when she speaks to the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragic event makes the Freedom Writers realize how fortunate they are?
2. Why is Gruwell scared sometimes when she drives students home?
3. What journey begins for Gruwell as the book opens?
4. Why does one student feel like Cinderella after a dinner at the Century City Marriott?
5. Why does a student write that she is a loving girl and mention that she cries when she read "The Color Purple"?
6. Why is it so unusual that the Freedom Writers win the Spirit of Anne Frank Award?
7. Why does the Guess? Company wish to help the students get to New York City to accept an award?
8. Why does a student have trouble editing a story about an abortion?
9. Why does the character Celie in "The Color Purple" remind a student about her Uncle Joe?
10. What is tagging?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)