|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Zlata, what good came from Anne Frank's tragedy?
(a) Anne is known all around the world.
(b) Anne is responsible for helping to end the war.
(c) Anne's strength remains to lead and inspire.
(d) Anne never knew what happens to her family.
2. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
(a) That the student will never graduate.
(b) That she can tutor the student over the summer.
(c) That the student has to repeat the class next year.
(d) She believes in her.
3. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
(a) Donation jars at stores.
(b) A chili supper.
(c) A basketball tournament.
(d) A bake sale.
4. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
(a) Miep Gies.
(b) Zlata Filipovic.
(c) Steven Spielberg.
(d) Anne Frank.
5. What happened to one student before emigrating to the United States from Peru?
(a) The house next door was bombed.
(b) The student was injured in a car bombing.
(c) The student's school was bombed.
(d) The student's father was killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her thank you letter, what does Zlata tell the students not to forget?
2. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
3. Why are the diaries written anonymously?
4. What happens to a student when she runs away with her boyfriend?
5. Who is the teacher of the students at Wilson High School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Gerda Seifer?
2. Why does one student feel like Cinderella after a dinner at the Century City Marriott?
3. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
4. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
5. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
6. What does Zlata mean when she says we cannot erase evil from the world, but can change the way we deal with it?
7. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
8. Why is a student excited to meet a Japanese man who was in an internment camp during World War I?
9. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
10. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)