|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
(a) How people deal with what happens in their lives.
(b) Whether people are physically hurt or not.
(c) Whether people endure emotional crises because of what happened.
(d) Whether family members are there to help.
2. What event caused 168 innocent men, women and children to die?
(a) Race riots.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) An airplane crash.
(d) Oklahoma City bombing.
3. What is Sharaud's goal when he arrives in Gruwell's class?
(a) Make his preppy student teacher cry.
(b) Drop out of school.
(c) Play basketball.
(d) Do well in his studies.
4. How do many of the Wilson High Students get to school each day?
(a) They ride bikes.
(b) They take 2-3 buses.
(c) They walk.
(d) Their parents drive them.
5. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
(a) Tears clothes that she tries on.
(b) Meet a friend.
(c) Put lipstick on clothes she tries on.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
2. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
3. What event does Gruwell say puts some teachers at Wilson High over the edge?
4. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
5. Why are the diaries written anonymously?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
2. When they are in Washington, D.C., what do some students do when they see swastikas?
3. What do the Freedom Writers want readers of their book to do?
4. What does the prom queen write about her life?
5. What magical event occurs at the Lincoln Memorial?
6. Who is Gerda Seifer?
7. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
8. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
9. Why does a student mention that her/his mother said that "Silence gets you nowhere in life"?
10. Why does a student have to clean his/her mother's blood off the wall?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)