|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
(a) Being overweight.
(b) Having a disfiguring scar.
(c) Not being pretty.
(d) Not being handsome.
2. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
3. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
(a) Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, and Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo.
(b) The Royal Diaries and I Will Bear Witness.
(c) The Great Depression: A Diary and The Adderall Diaries.
(d) The Reagan Diaries and The Heroin Diaries.
4. What does one student say when she compares her father to John Tu?
(a) Tu is taller than her father.
(b) Tu is very rude to her.
(c) That Tu gives her more attention in seven minutes than her dad has in seven years.
(d) Tu is shorter than her father.
5. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
(a) The students and their parents pay.
(b) Gruwell has a trust fund.
(c) Private donors.
(d) She also works at the Marriott Hotel and Norstroms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a student when she runs away with her boyfriend?
2. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
3. After reading Zlata's Diary, what does the class want to do?
4. Why is Gruwell not allowed to teach Sharaud and his classmates the following year?
5. What does Zlata say about Erin Gruwell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
3. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
4. What is tagging?
5. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
6. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
7. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
8. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
9. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
10. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)