|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
(a) The Reagan Diaries and The Heroin Diaries.
(b) The Royal Diaries and I Will Bear Witness.
(c) Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, and Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo.
(d) The Great Depression: A Diary and The Adderall Diaries.
2. How old is Zlata when she speaks to the students?
3. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
(a) Three days before the war ended.
(b) When the war ended.
(c) Before the war in Bosnia began.
(d) After the war began in Bosnia.
4. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
(a) He thinks Tommy is doing well in school.
(b) Teachers doesn't usually call to say Tommy is doing well.
(c) A teacher never calls him before.
(d) Most teachers do not bother to keep parents informed.
5. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
(b) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
(c) The student is expelled from their old school.
(d) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
Short Answer Questions
1. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
2. When does Zlata meet the students of Wilson High School?
3. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
4. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
5. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
2. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
3. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
4. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
5. What do the students do when they play the peanut game?
6. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
7. What is tagging?
8. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
9. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
10. What does Zlata mean when she says we cannot erase evil from the world, but can change the way we deal with it?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)