|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a student remember after reading about women being molested in Bosnia?
(a) How her father's friend molested her.
(b) How her father molested her.
(c) How she was raped.
(d) How her uncle molested her.
2. What does one student realize after playing the Peanut Game?
(a) People can't live in harmony because they won't accept each other's skin color or beliefs.
(b) Gruwell has an interesting way of looking at life.
(c) People are different because of their experiences in life.
(d) Grwell makes some very odd comparisons to everyday life.
3. According to Zlata, what good came from Anne Frank's tragedy?
(a) Anne is responsible for helping to end the war.
(b) Anne's strength remains to lead and inspire.
(c) Anne never knew what happens to her family.
(d) Anne is known all around the world.
4. Who are the "Dream Team Moms"?
(a) Mothers of the basketball players.
(b) Mothers who adopt the class as their kids.
(c) Mothers of the football players.
(d) Mothers who bake cookies for teachers.
5. What are the students inspired to do after reading the diaries?
(a) Talk to their parents about improving their lives.
(b) Write their own diaries.
(c) Quit school.
(d) Write a screenplay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
2. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
3. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
4. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
5. How difficult is it for a student at Wilson to buy a gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
2. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
3. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
4. What journey begins for Gruwell as the book opens?
5. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
6. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
7. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
8. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
9. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
10. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)