|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one student realize after playing the Peanut Game?
(a) Grwell makes some very odd comparisons to everyday life.
(b) People are different because of their experiences in life.
(c) People can't live in harmony because they won't accept each other's skin color or beliefs.
(d) Gruwell has an interesting way of looking at life.
2. Who are the "Dream Team Moms"?
(a) Mothers of the basketball players.
(b) Mothers of the football players.
(c) Mothers who bake cookies for teachers.
(d) Mothers who adopt the class as their kids.
3. What does Zlata have in common with the students?
(a) They are teenagers.
(b) They like the same rock bands.
(c) They have all lost parents.
(d) They all have seen war.
4. In the spring of 1995, who offers to help take the students on a field trip?
(a) The principal.
(b) John Tu.
(c) Anne Frank.
(d) Other teachers.
5. Why does Gruwell throw out her carefully planned lessons in the fall of 1994?
(a) None of the students know what the Holocaust is.
(b) The lessons are not appropriate for the class.
(c) The students are not smart enough to handle the work.
(d) The lessons are geared toward white middle class students.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gruwell almost take another job the fall of 1995?
2. What does one student do during a "three-week vacation" from school the spring of the freshman year?
3. What does Zlata say about Erin Gruwell?
4. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
5. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
2. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
3. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
4. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
5. Why is a student excited to meet a Japanese man who was in an internment camp during World War I?
6. As described in Chapter 1, why does a student get a gun to protect him/herself?
7. What happens to a Croatian boy named Tony?
8. Who is Miep Gies?
9. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
10. What does Zlata think about the situation in Kosovo?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)