|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
(a) Losing a favorite employee.
(b) Seeing Jews herded into cattle cars.
(c) Finding the body of a little girl with other dead bodies waiting to be burned.
(d) Losing a good friend.
2. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) The Wave and Night.
(b) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
(c) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(d) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
3. What happened to one student before emigrating to the United States from Peru?
(a) The house next door was bombed.
(b) The student's school was bombed.
(c) The student was injured in a car bombing.
(d) The student's father was killed.
4. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
(a) He thinks Tommy is doing well in school.
(b) Most teachers do not bother to keep parents informed.
(c) Teachers doesn't usually call to say Tommy is doing well.
(d) A teacher never calls him before.
5. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
(b) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
(c) The student is expelled from their old school.
(d) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
2. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
3. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
4. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
5. To what does Gruwell compare the Capulets and Montagues in Romeo and Juliet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
2. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
3. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
4. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
5. Who is Miep Gies?
6. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
7. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
8. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
9. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
10. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)