|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Zlata's homeland?
2. In the fall of 1994, why does one student say s/he does not belong in Gruwell's class?
(a) Because the student is white.
(b) Because there is a mix up in the schedule.
(c) Because the student's test scores are high.
(d) Because the student is Latino.
3. After reading Zlata's Diary, what does the class want to do?
(a) Write diaries.
(b) Invite Zlata to come speak to the class.
(c) Go see Schindler's List.
(d) Go to Europe.
4. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
(a) At his aunt's house.
(b) Room 407.
(c) Room 203.
(d) His church.
5. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) The student is expelled from their old school.
(b) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
(c) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
(d) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gruwell throw out her carefully planned lessons in the fall of 1994?
2. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
3. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
4. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
5. To what does Gruwell compare the Capulets and Montagues in Romeo and Juliet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
2. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
3. Why does a student decide 'odd' is not a three-letter word, but a seven-letter word?
4. In Diary 46, why does a student's father dislike her best friend?
5. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
6. What is tagging?
7. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
8. Who is Miep Gies?
9. Why does one student decide she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thought she was?
10. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)