|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
(a) Zlata's teacher.
(b) Zlata's parents and her best friend, Mirna.
(c) No one, Zlata goes alone.
(d) Zlata grandparents.
2. Where does Gruwell student teaching?
(a) Newport Beach High School.
(b) Williams High School.
(c) Wilson High School.
(d) A high school in Los Angeles.
3. How do many of the Wilson High Students get to school each day?
(a) Their parents drive them.
(b) They ride bikes.
(c) They take 2-3 buses.
(d) They walk.
4. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
(a) One student is beaten until bones are broken and another student is humiliated.
(b) They beat someone up.
(c) They kill someone.
(d) They deface school property.
5. What important lesson does one student learn during her freshman year?
(a) People do change.
(b) That Gruwell is an extraordinary teacher.
(c) How to study.
(d) That school can be interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event caused 168 innocent men, women and children to die?
2. Why is Gruwell not allowed to teach Sharaud and his classmates the following year?
3. Why can't a student go to a movie with her best friend?
4. What amazes a student about the bathrooms at the Century City Marriott?
5. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
2. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
3. Why is Gruwell stereotyped by some of the other teachers?
4. What do the students do when they play the peanut game?
5. What happens to a Croatian boy named Tony?
6. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
7. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
8. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
9. Why is one student out of school for a week or two before beginning the sophomore year?
10. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)