|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Zlata meet the students of Wilson High School?
(a) March, 1996.
(b) September, 1998.
(c) March, 2006.
(d) December, 1997.
2. How do many of the Wilson High Students get to school each day?
(a) They take 2-3 buses.
(b) They walk.
(c) They ride bikes.
(d) Their parents drive them.
3. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
(a) She also works at the Marriott Hotel and Norstroms.
(b) Gruwell has a trust fund.
(c) The students and their parents pay.
(d) Private donors.
4. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
(a) The Royal Diaries and I Will Bear Witness.
(b) The Great Depression: A Diary and The Adderall Diaries.
(c) Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, and Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo.
(d) The Reagan Diaries and The Heroin Diaries.
5. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
(a) In a gated community.
(b) A safe neighborhood near the ocean.
(c) Near downtown Los Angeles.
(d) Near the projects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event caused 168 innocent men, women and children to die?
2. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
3. In the fall of 1994, why does one student say s/he does not belong in Gruwell's class?
4. What are the students inspired to do after reading the diaries?
5. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a tour through the Museum of Tolerance.
2. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
3. Why does Zlata highly respect and admire Gruwell?
4. Why did Zlata begin writing a diary and how did her diary evolve?
5. Why is the summer before the sophomore year the worst ever for one student?
6. What journey begins for Gruwell as the book opens?
7. Why does one student feel like Cinderella after a dinner at the Century City Marriott?
8. What parallel does Zlata see between herself and the Freedom Writers?
9. Because of the Read-a-Thon for Tolerance, why is Zlata invited to speak to the class?
10. As described in Chapter 1, why does a student get a gun to protect him/herself?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)