|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Gruwell say puts some teachers at Wilson High over the edge?
(a) When Gruwell's class startes getting good grades.
(b) When Gruwell's class puts on a play.
(c) When Gruwell's class goes to the school board.
(d) When Gruwell's class is invited to meet Spielberg.
2. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
(b) Tears clothes that she tries on.
(c) Meet a friend.
(d) Put lipstick on clothes she tries on.
3. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
(a) That she can tutor the student over the summer.
(b) She believes in her.
(c) That the student will never graduate.
(d) That the student has to repeat the class next year.
4. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
(a) They lose a limb due to infection.
(b) They become abusive and don't care if they hurt their families.
(c) They die.
(d) They are horribly disfigured.
5. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
(a) A teacher never calls him before.
(b) He thinks Tommy is doing well in school.
(c) Most teachers do not bother to keep parents informed.
(d) Teachers doesn't usually call to say Tommy is doing well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one student realize after playing the Peanut Game?
2. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
3. After reading Zlata's Diary, what does the class want to do?
4. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
5. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Renee Firestone's story affect one student?
2. Why does a student transfer from the Distinguished Scholars program to Gruwell's class?
3. Why is Zlata Filipovic pleased and honored to write a foreword for "The Freedom Writers Diary"?
4. Why is the word 'murder' a shadow hovering over a student's life the fall of 1995?
5. Why are some students not allowed to go to Medieval Times?
6. What is tagging?
7. What does Zlata mean when she says we cannot erase evil from the world, but can change the way we deal with it?
8. In Diary Two, why does a student wonder why he is in Gruwell's English class?
9. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of the semester in the spring of 1995?
10. As described in Chapter 1, why does a student get a gun to protect him/herself?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)