|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
(b) NASA's Johnson Space Center.
(d) Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena.
2. Why does Gruwell feel guilty when she drives students home if they stay late after school?
(a) She feels bad that she cannot take the students to school also.
(b) Where the students live is very unsafe compared to Gruwell's neighborhood.
(c) She feels bad to keep them at school so late.
(d) She feels bad that the students have to help with lesson plans.
3. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, where do they wish to go next?
(a) The Library of Congress.
(b) The Smithsonian.
(d) Anne Frank's attic.
4. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
(a) Bosnia, a First-Hand Persepective.
(b) The Bosnia War.
(c) Ground Zero.
(d) Bosnia: War or Religious Cleansing?
5. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
(a) A Hispanic student steals something from a Black student.
(b) A carton of milk is thrown.
(c) Someone takes a Black student's seat on the bus.
(d) Someone starts name calling.
6. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
(a) How a best friend died in a gang war.
(b) The gang the student belongs to.
(c) The student's abusive father.
(d) The books the student has read that influence him.
7. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
(a) Bring a list of black literature to the principal.
(b) The mother doen't do anything.
(c) Yell at the teacher.
(d) Go to the school board.
8. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
(b) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
(c) Volunteer with at-risk students.
(d) Write to the students.
9. Why do the students need a receptionist every class period?
(a) To help write letters.
(b) They are receiving so much mail.
(c) To teach them how to behave in certain social situations.
(d) They have so many visitors.
10. Why does Tu donate computers?
(a) Because there are no computers available at school.
(b) So every teacher at Wilson High has a computer in their classrooms.
(c) So no one recognizes the handwriting in diary entries.
(d) To set up a computer lab.
11. Why, a few weeks before graduation, does a student have to give up his dream of attending a prestigious technical school?
(a) His father is ill.
(b) He flunks several of his classes.
(c) His mother dies.
(d) He does not get a scholarship.
12. How does a mother of a student die of shortly before her Christmas Eve birthday?
(a) Raped and left for dead.
(c) Shot in the chest.
(d) Heroin overdose.
13. When the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what motto do they chant?
(a) Be free, dream.
(b) Freedom forever.
(c) Dreams make you free.
(d) Freedom Writers have a dream.
14. Why is a student amazed at being chosen to speak in front of Barbara Boxer, their senator?
(a) The student is deaf and speaks with sign language.
(b) The student does not have good grades.
(c) Because the student has done some very outrageous things over the years.
(d) The student has a speech impediment.
15. What award do the students receive from the American Jewish Committee?
(a) The Martin Luther King, Jr., Freedom Award.
(b) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(c) The Micah Award.
(d) Freedom For All Award.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
2. What happens to Teres's father?
3. Why does a student's mother usually get twice as many presents on Christmas Eve as everyone else?
4. How does Cheryl Best inspire a student?
5. Who wrote, "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)