|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What museum do the students visit in D.C.?
(a) Library of Congress.
(b) Holocaust Museum.
(d) National Gallery of Art.
2. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
(a) President of the United States.
(b) U. S. Secretary of Education.
(c) Their senator.
(d) Their congressman.
3. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
(a) A concert.
(b) Donations from wealthy donors.
(c) A bake sale.
(d) A basketball game.
4. Where do the Freedom Writers mentor students?
(a) Wilson Elementary School.
(b) Butler Elementary School.
(c) Newport Beach Elementary School.
(d) Long Beach Elementary School.
5. What award do the students receive from the American Jewish Committee?
(a) The Martin Luther King, Jr., Freedom Award.
(b) The Micah Award.
(c) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(d) Freedom For All Award.
6. In Chapter V, what illness runs in a student's family?
(a) Cancer of the liver.
(b) Congenital heart defects.
(c) Clinical depression.
(d) Cystic fibrosis.
7. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(b) The Color Purple.
(c) Catcher in the Rye.
(d) Scared Silent.
8. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
(a) Snoop Doggy Dogg.
(c) 50 Cent.
(d) Kanye West.
9. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
(a) All the awards they receive.
(b) John Tu's encouragement.
(c) Words of Anne Frank.
(d) The lessons learned in Gruwell's class.
10. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
(a) A person who is a homebody.
(b) A person who does not work hard.
(c) A person who likes to party.
(d) A person who is hardworking.
11. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
(a) Blacks for Freedom.
(b) Freedom Fighters.
(c) Riders for Black Rights.
(d) Freedom Riders.
12. What program is created to teach tolerance to kids who feel as if they don't fit in?
(a) Celebrating Diversity Through the Arts.
(b) Diversity Through Mentoring.
(c) Celebrating Diversity Through Literature.
(d) Celebrating Diversity Through Sports.
13. How does Cheryl Best inspire a student?
(a) The student realizes that college is possible for him/her.
(b) The student realizes s/he can go to medical school also.
(c) The student realizes that hard work makes up for a poor background.
(d) The student realizes you do not need a father figure to do well.
14. What happens to the computers after the students graduate?
(a) The computers are given to the Distinguished Scholars.
(b) The computers are moved to the media center.
(c) The computers are given to the 35 students with the highest grade point average.
(d) The computers are sent to an elementary school.
15. What happens when a student gives her/himself an F?
(a) The student is dropped from Gruwell's class.
(b) The student is expelled.
(c) Gruwell gets angry and says that if you fail, I fail.
(d) The student is sent to the principal's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
2. What is the prom queen's native country?
3. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
4. Who said, "The best method of overcoming your obstacles is the team method"?
5. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)