|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a student referring to when she says she is a loving girl, but there is pain in her heart?
(a) Her best friend died.
(b) She wishes she has a boyfriend.
(c) She is in an abusive relationship.
(d) Her mother is dying.
2. Who wrote, "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"?
3. Besides moving forward, what are the Freedom Writers doing?
(a) Serving as volunteers.
(b) Writing novels, poetry, and newspaper or magazine articles.
(c) Volunteering at the Museum of Tolerance.
(d) Pulling family members and friends along too.
4. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(b) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
(c) Because there isn't time.
(d) Because there aren't any good black writers.
5. What happens after a student drives John Tu to his car?
(a) Tu gives the student money for the ride.
(b) The student gets a flat tire.
(c) Tu offers the student a job.
(d) Tu tells the student to get a better car.
6. What happens to Teres's father?
(a) He overdoses on crack.
(b) He is killed in a drive-by shooting.
(c) He is shoved in front of a train.
(d) He is shot in the head.
7. In Chapter V, to where does a student take a road trip with her friends?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) San Francisco.
(d) Los Angeles.
8. Where do the Freedom Writers mentor students?
(a) Butler Elementary School.
(b) Wilson Elementary School.
(c) Long Beach Elementary School.
(d) Newport Beach Elementary School.
9. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
(a) Dr. Cohn and Karin Polacheck.
(b) Teachers at the high school.
(c) The teachers' union.
(d) John Tu.
10. What does the student who used to play park league and Pop Warner football receive?
(a) A scholarship to play basketball.
(b) A contract to play pro ball.
(c) A scholarship to play baseball.
(d) A full-ride scholarship to a PAC-10 school.
11. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
(a) To leave the gang.
(b) The road to college.
(c) To become a doctor.
(d) To graduate from high school.
12. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
(a) The students stay with private individuals.
(b) The students choose their roommates.
(c) Gruwell chooses who rooms with who.
(d) The students stay with holocaust survivors.
13. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
(a) Long Beach.
(d) Newport Beach.
14. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) The Color Purple.
(b) Catcher in the Rye.
(c) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(d) Scared Silent.
15. What do the Freedom Writers do after their first year in college?
(a) Visit South America.
(b) Tour Europe.
(c) Go to an impoverished country and build houses.
(d) Go to China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
2. What does Gruwell do the summer of 1996?
3. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
4. Why does a student have to be head of the household and worry about rent and car payments Senior year?
5. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)