|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a student want to tell a prisoner in West Virginia?
(a) That he must tell the judge he is innocent so he can be with his daughter.
(b) To write an apology letter to the family of the man he murdered.
(c) To think how he can be an influence even though he is in jail.
(d) To be on good behavior so he can get out soon.
2. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
(a) A person who is a homebody.
(b) A person who is hardworking.
(c) A person who likes to party.
(d) A person who does not work hard.
3. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
(a) President of the United States.
(b) U. S. Secretary of Education.
(c) Their senator.
(d) Their congressman.
4. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
(a) A person who works hard.
(b) A person who can't keep a secret.
(c) A person who gossips.
(d) A person who does not work hard.
5. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Celeste Wiley.
(b) Lurma Rackley.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Rosa Parks.
6. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
(a) That Gruwell is going to Bosnia.
(b) Gruwell thanks her for coming to see the class.
(c) Gruwell asks her if she comes again.
(d) Zlata is the inspiration for the latest writing project.
7. Why is it difficult for some students to take the SATs?
(a) Some parents cannot help complete applications and others cannot afford the application fee.
(b) They do not have the educational background to do well.
(c) The students have learning disabilities.
(d) They do not have transportation to get where the test is given.
8. What happens to Teres's father?
(a) He overdoses on crack.
(b) He is killed in a drive-by shooting.
(c) He is shoved in front of a train.
(d) He is shot in the head.
9. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
(b) Police officer.
(c) Soldier in a war.
10. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
(a) Kanye West.
(c) 50 Cent.
(d) Snoop Doggy Dogg.
11. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Malcom X.
(d) Eldredge Cleaver.
12. What does a truly self-reliant person do, according to Chapter V?
(a) Lean on family and friends for support.
(b) Not accept help from anyone.
(c) Find his weak link and strengthen it.
(d) Not rely on anyone.
13. When the students are speaking at an elementary school, what icebreaker question brings nearly everyone forward?
(a) "Who has had a family member murdered?"
(b) "Who has heard of Anne Frank?"
(c) "Who only has one parent?"
(d) "Has anyone seen someone get shot before?"
14. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
(a) To leave the gang.
(b) To become a doctor.
(c) To graduate from high school.
(d) The road to college.
15. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
(a) How a best friend died in a gang war.
(b) The gang the student belongs to.
(c) The student's abusive father.
(d) The books the student has read that influence him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a student say John Tu gives instead of handouts?
2. In Chapter V, to where does a student take a road trip with her friends?
3. How does one student describe Ritalin?
4. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
5. What does the student who used to play park league and Pop Warner football receive?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)