|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a truly self-reliant person do, according to Chapter V?
(a) Lean on family and friends for support.
(b) Not rely on anyone.
(c) Not accept help from anyone.
(d) Find his weak link and strengthen it.
2. What does Gruwell do the summer of 1996?
(a) Work at Nordstrom's and the Marriott.
(b) Look for a new job.
(c) Teach at National University and go to Europe.
(d) Teach at Cal State.
3. What is the prom queen's native country?
4. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
(a) Blacks for Freedom.
(b) Freedom Riders.
(c) Riders for Black Rights.
(d) Freedom Fighters.
5. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
(b) Write to the students.
(c) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
(d) Volunteer with at-risk students.
6. Although their destinations after high school are different, what is still the same for the Freedom Writers?
(a) They are mentoring kids from the projects.
(b) Their full-ride scholarships.
(c) They are all attending college.
(d) Their common goal.
7. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
(a) "A missed opportunity can never be made up."
(b) "Success comes only to those who take advantage of opportunities."
(c) "Silence gets you nowhere in life."
(d) "Only those who take advantage of opportunities in life succeed."
8. What happens to Teres's father?
(a) He overdoses on crack.
(b) He is shot in the head.
(c) He is shoved in front of a train.
(d) He is killed in a drive-by shooting.
9. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) She has to deal with practical matters of the trip.
(b) She is not sure that she wants to take another trip so soon.
(c) Their funds are getting low and they do not have as many sponsors any more.
(d) She is too tired.
10. After Christmas 1997, what award do the students win?
(a) Mies Giep Award.
(b) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr., Award.
(d) Freedom Award.
11. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Malcom X.
(b) Eldredge Cleaver.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
12. In Chapter V, what illness runs in a student's family?
(a) Clinical depression.
(b) Congenital heart defects.
(c) Cystic fibrosis.
(d) Cancer of the liver.
13. Why do the students sign an honor code?
(a) So there is not any further stealing of personal belongings.
(b) So there is not any further fighting.
(c) So no one embellishes or sensationalizes their stories.
(d) So there is not any further cheating on exams.
14. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
(a) Bring a list of black literature to the principal.
(b) Yell at the teacher.
(c) Go to the school board.
(d) The mother doen't do anything.
15. What happens to the computers after the students graduate?
(a) The computers are moved to the media center.
(b) The computers are given to the Distinguished Scholars.
(c) The computers are sent to an elementary school.
(d) The computers are given to the 35 students with the highest grade point average.
Short Answer Questions
1. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
2. Who said, "The best method of overcoming your obstacles is the team method"?
3. What happens after a student drives John Tu to his car?
4. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
5. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)