|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(b) Because he is a slob.
(c) Because he moves so quickly.
(d) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
2. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Their congressman.
(b) Their senator.
(c) President of the United States.
(d) U. S. Secretary of Education.
3. Why does Tu donate computers?
(a) Because there are no computers available at school.
(b) So every teacher at Wilson High has a computer in their classrooms.
(c) So no one recognizes the handwriting in diary entries.
(d) To set up a computer lab.
4. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
(a) The mother doen't do anything.
(b) Bring a list of black literature to the principal.
(c) Yell at the teacher.
(d) Go to the school board.
5. Why is the Guess? Company sponsoring a trip for some of the Freedom Writers?
(a) Because they donate twenty percent of their profits to needy causes.
(b) Because the founders are Jewish and had to flee Europe during the Holocaust.
(c) Because they graduated from Wilson High School.
(d) Because they are minority entrepreneurs and wish to help others succeed.
6. In Chapter V, to where does a student take a road trip with her friends?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) San Francisco.
(d) Los Angeles.
7. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
(c) NASA's Johnson Space Center.
(d) Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena.
8. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
(a) Because the student does feel their writing is very good.
(b) Because the student does not like being anonymous.
(c) The student would rather write fiction than be reminded of events s/he wishes to suppress.
(d) Because the student thinks everyone should write their own book.
9. What poem does a student write after realizing living in the ghetto and having brown skin does not mean you cannot be successful?
(a) You Say, They Say, We Say.
(b) So Say What You Will.
(c) They Say, I Say.
(d) Say it Isn't So.
10. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
(a) How he died from a knife wound.
(b) How he died from a brain tumor.
(c) How he died in a car accident.
(d) How he died from a shooting.
11. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
(a) He is a professional alcoholic.
(b) He is never home.
(c) He loves her mother very much.
(d) He works hard.
12. When the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what motto do they chant?
(a) Freedom Writers have a dream.
(b) Freedom forever.
(c) Dreams make you free.
(d) Be free, dream.
13. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
(a) A person who likes to party.
(b) A person who is hardworking.
(c) A person who does not work hard.
(d) A person who is a homebody.
14. What do the Freedom Writers do after their first year in college?
(a) Go to an impoverished country and build houses.
(b) Visit South America.
(c) Go to China.
(d) Tour Europe.
15. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
(a) Gruwell chooses who rooms with who.
(b) The students choose their roommates.
(c) The students stay with holocaust survivors.
(d) The students stay with private individuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who publishes the Freedom Writer's diaries?
2. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
3. How does Cheryl Best inspire a student?
4. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
5. How does a student feel after editing a story about an abortion?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)