|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
(a) The teachers' union.
(b) Teachers at the high school.
(c) Dr. Cohn and Karin Polacheck.
(d) John Tu.
2. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
(b) Snoop Doggy Dogg.
(c) Kanye West.
(d) 50 Cent.
3. What poem does a student write after realizing living in the ghetto and having brown skin does not mean you cannot be successful?
(a) So Say What You Will.
(b) They Say, I Say.
(c) You Say, They Say, We Say.
(d) Say it Isn't So.
4. Who publishes the Freedom Writer's diaries?
(d) Inner City Press.
5. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
(a) How he died in a car accident.
(b) How he died from a knife wound.
(c) How he died from a brain tumor.
(d) How he died from a shooting.
6. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
(c) Soldier in a war.
(d) Police officer.
7. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because there aren't any good black writers.
(b) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(c) Because there isn't time.
(d) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
8. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
(b) Volunteer with at-risk students.
(c) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
(d) Write to the students.
9. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
(a) A bake sale.
(b) Donations from wealthy donors.
(c) A basketball game.
(d) A concert.
10. One student has never been on a Freedom Writers trip before. Why does the student get to go to D.C.?
(a) Because someone donates the money so the student can go.
(b) Because the student no longer has to help with a sick brother.
(c) Because the student's father is in Mexico.
(d) Because the student finally has good grades.
11. How is money raised to get the students to college?
(a) A nonprofit organization is created.
(c) Basketball tournaments.
(d) Sell the rights to their diaries.
12. What is a student referring to when she says she is a loving girl, but there is pain in her heart?
(a) She is in an abusive relationship.
(b) Her mother is dying.
(c) Her best friend died.
(d) She wishes she has a boyfriend.
13. What happens when a student gives her/himself an F?
(a) The student is sent to the principal's office.
(b) The student is dropped from Gruwell's class.
(c) Gruwell gets angry and says that if you fail, I fail.
(d) The student is expelled.
14. Why does a student have to be head of the household and worry about rent and car payments Senior year?
(a) The student's father takes off with the families small bit of savings.
(b) The student's mother is ill and father is nowhere to be found.
(c) The student's parents are murdered.
(d) The student's cousin is murdered and parents leave the country.
15. What happens to Teres's father?
(a) He is killed in a drive-by shooting.
(b) He is shot in the head.
(c) He is shoved in front of a train.
(d) He overdoses on crack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
2. What Christmas song is twisted during a sorority hazing?
3. When the students are speaking at an elementary school, what icebreaker question brings nearly everyone forward?
4. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
5. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)