|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When one of the juniors was twelve, how did her grandmother die?
(a) From a fall down stairs.
(b) From burns allegedly inflicted by the student's father.
(c) From a heart attack.
(d) From a beating by the student's father.
2. What poem does a student write after realizing living in the ghetto and having brown skin does not mean you cannot be successful?
(a) You Say, They Say, We Say.
(b) Say it Isn't So.
(c) So Say What You Will.
(d) They Say, I Say.
3. Why does a student's mother usually get twice as many presents on Christmas Eve as everyone else?
(a) Because her husband is sorry for the years he isn't there for the family.
(b) Because she has so many children.
(c) Christmas Eve is her birthday.
(d) She doesn't get many present as a child and her parents are trying to make up for it.
4. Why do the students sign an honor code?
(a) So no one embellishes or sensationalizes their stories.
(b) So there is not any further fighting.
(c) So there is not any further cheating on exams.
(d) So there is not any further stealing of personal belongings.
5. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
(a) Because the student says s/he is dyslexic.
(b) Because the student draws pictures rather than taking notes in class.
(c) Because the student does not turn in homework.
(d) Because the student does not answer questions in class.
6. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Eldredge Cleaver.
(b) Malcom X.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Rosa Parks.
7. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
(a) A person who gossips.
(b) A person who does not work hard.
(c) A person who can't keep a secret.
(d) A person who works hard.
8. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Celeste Wiley.
(b) Lurma Rackley.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
9. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(b) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(c) Because he is a slob.
(d) Because he moves so quickly.
10. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
(a) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional football or not.
(b) The student is trying to decide whether to go to college or play minor league baseball.
(c) The player is trying to decide whether to play professional basketball.
(d) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional soccer.
11. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(b) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
(c) Because there aren't any good black writers.
(d) Because there isn't time.
12. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
(a) A person who is a homebody.
(b) A person who does not work hard.
(c) A person who is hardworking.
(d) A person who likes to party.
13. What happens when a student gives her/himself an F?
(a) The student is dropped from Gruwell's class.
(b) The student is expelled.
(c) The student is sent to the principal's office.
(d) Gruwell gets angry and says that if you fail, I fail.
14. What does the student who used to play park league and Pop Warner football receive?
(a) A scholarship to play basketball.
(b) A full-ride scholarship to a PAC-10 school.
(c) A contract to play pro ball.
(d) A scholarship to play baseball.
15. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
(c) Soldier in a war.
(d) Police officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is money raised to get the students to college?
2. What Christmas song is twisted during a sorority hazing?
3. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
4. One student has never been on a Freedom Writers trip before. Why does the student get to go to D.C.?
5. Why does a student say John Tu gives instead of handouts?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)