|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the students have a particular place they want to visit after walking down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) They always wanted to travel abroard.
(b) That is where their journey began.
(c) They want to see the national library.
(d) They know they may never return to Washington, D.C.
2. What award do the students receive from the American Jewish Committee?
(a) The Martin Luther King, Jr., Freedom Award.
(b) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(c) Freedom For All Award.
(d) The Micah Award.
3. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Write to the students.
(b) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
(c) Volunteer with at-risk students.
(d) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
4. What reporter does a student mention from the Los Angeles Times?
(a) Nancy Phillips.
(b) Nellie WIlliams.
(c) Anita Wright.
(d) Nancy Wride.
5. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
(a) Freedom Fighters.
(b) Freedom Riders.
(c) Riders for Black Rights.
(d) Blacks for Freedom.
6. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
(a) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional football or not.
(b) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional soccer.
(c) The student is trying to decide whether to go to college or play minor league baseball.
(d) The player is trying to decide whether to play professional basketball.
7. How does a student feel after editing a story about an abortion?
(a) That his girlfriend did not have an abortion.
(b) That he was with his girlfriend when she had her abortion.
(c) That no one has an abortion.
(d) That more girls make the choice to have an abortion.
8. What program is created to teach tolerance to kids who feel as if they don't fit in?
(a) Celebrating Diversity Through Sports.
(b) Diversity Through Mentoring.
(c) Celebrating Diversity Through Literature.
(d) Celebrating Diversity Through the Arts.
9. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
(a) To graduate from high school.
(b) To leave the gang.
(c) The road to college.
(d) To become a doctor.
10. How does one student describe Ritalin?
(a) It makes you dizzy like being on a carnival ride.
(b) It has the power to control like a lasso on a horse.
(c) It is like taking speed.
(d) It makes you drowsy.
11. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Celeste Wiley.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Lurma Rackley.
(d) Rosa Parks.
12. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because there isn't time.
(b) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
(c) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(d) Because there aren't any good black writers.
13. When the students are speaking at an elementary school, what icebreaker question brings nearly everyone forward?
(a) "Has anyone seen someone get shot before?"
(b) "Who only has one parent?"
(c) "Who has heard of Anne Frank?"
(d) "Who has had a family member murdered?"
14. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
(a) Teachers at the high school.
(b) Dr. Cohn and Karin Polacheck.
(c) The teachers' union.
(d) John Tu.
15. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) Scared Silent.
(b) The Color Purple.
(c) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(d) Catcher in the Rye.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
2. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
3. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
4. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
5. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)