|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
(c) Newport Beach.
(d) Long Beach.
2. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
(a) To become a doctor.
(b) The road to college.
(c) To leave the gang.
(d) To graduate from high school.
3. Why do the students and Gruwell have to climb out the window of the school one night?
(a) Because there is a gang fight outside the front door.
(b) So the alarms don't go off.
(c) That is how they get into the school.
(d) Because they are not supposed to be in the building after hours.
4. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
(a) Someone takes a Black student's seat on the bus.
(b) Someone starts name calling.
(c) A carton of milk is thrown.
(d) A Hispanic student steals something from a Black student.
5. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
(a) The gang the student belongs to.
(b) The student's abusive father.
(c) How a best friend died in a gang war.
(d) The books the student has read that influence him.
6. After Christmas 1997, what do the students have to do to accept an award?
(a) Submit their diaries.
(b) Mentor other students.
(c) Go to New York City.
(d) Fly to Washington, D.C..
7. Who says, "Earning happiness means doing good and working, not speculating and being lazy"?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Miep Gies.
(c) Zlata Filipovic.
(d) Anne Frank.
8. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) The Color Purple.
(b) Catcher in the Rye.
(c) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(d) Scared Silent.
9. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because he is a slob.
(b) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(c) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(d) Because he moves so quickly.
10. Why does a student get kicked off the basketball team this senior year?
(a) Her attitude.
(b) Drinking on school property.
(c) Arrested for doing drugs.
(d) Skipping practices.
11. Why does a student have to be head of the household and worry about rent and car payments Senior year?
(a) The student's mother is ill and father is nowhere to be found.
(b) The student's parents are murdered.
(c) The student's cousin is murdered and parents leave the country.
(d) The student's father takes off with the families small bit of savings.
12. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(b) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
(c) Because there aren't any good black writers.
(d) Because there isn't time.
13. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
(a) Police officer.
(c) Soldier in a war.
14. When the students are speaking at an elementary school, what icebreaker question brings nearly everyone forward?
(a) "Who has had a family member murdered?"
(b) "Has anyone seen someone get shot before?"
(c) "Who has heard of Anne Frank?"
(d) "Who only has one parent?"
15. How does one student describe Ritalin?
(a) It is like taking speed.
(b) It makes you dizzy like being on a carnival ride.
(c) It has the power to control like a lasso on a horse.
(d) It makes you drowsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a student's mother usually get twice as many presents on Christmas Eve as everyone else?
2. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
3. What museum do the students visit in D.C.?
4. What program is created to teach tolerance to kids who feel as if they don't fit in?
5. What happens when a student gives her/himself an F?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)