|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a student get kicked off the basketball team this senior year?
(a) Drinking on school property.
(b) Skipping practices.
(c) Arrested for doing drugs.
(d) Her attitude.
2. After Christmas 1997, what award do the students win?
(a) Mies Giep Award.
(b) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(c) Freedom Award.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr., Award.
3. Although their destinations after high school are different, what is still the same for the Freedom Writers?
(a) Their full-ride scholarships.
(b) They are all attending college.
(c) They are mentoring kids from the projects.
(d) Their common goal.
4. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
(a) Donations from wealthy donors.
(b) A basketball game.
(c) A concert.
(d) A bake sale.
5. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Malcom X.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Eldredge Cleaver.
(d) Rosa Parks.
6. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
(c) Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena.
(d) NASA's Johnson Space Center.
7. In Chapter V, to where does a student take a road trip with her friends?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Las Vegas.
(d) Los Angeles.
8. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
(a) A carton of milk is thrown.
(b) Someone takes a Black student's seat on the bus.
(c) Someone starts name calling.
(d) A Hispanic student steals something from a Black student.
9. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
(a) He loves her mother very much.
(b) He is never home.
(c) He works hard.
(d) He is a professional alcoholic.
10. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
(a) Freedom Riders.
(b) Freedom Fighters.
(c) Riders for Black Rights.
(d) Blacks for Freedom.
11. Why do the students and Gruwell have to climb out the window of the school one night?
(a) Because they are not supposed to be in the building after hours.
(b) Because there is a gang fight outside the front door.
(c) So the alarms don't go off.
(d) That is how they get into the school.
12. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Write to the students.
(b) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
(c) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
(d) Volunteer with at-risk students.
13. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
(a) The students choose their roommates.
(b) Gruwell chooses who rooms with who.
(c) The students stay with private individuals.
(d) The students stay with holocaust survivors.
14. Why do the students have a particular place they want to visit after walking down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) That is where their journey began.
(b) They want to see the national library.
(c) They always wanted to travel abroard.
(d) They know they may never return to Washington, D.C.
15. Who said, "The best method of overcoming your obstacles is the team method"?
(a) Colin Powell.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) Eldridge Cleaver.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
2. Where do the Freedom Writers mentor students?
3. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
4. One student has never been on a Freedom Writers trip before. Why does the student get to go to D.C.?
5. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)