|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gruwell feel guilty when she drives students home if they stay late after school?
(a) She feels bad that she cannot take the students to school also.
(b) She feels bad that the students have to help with lesson plans.
(c) She feels bad to keep them at school so late.
(d) Where the students live is very unsafe compared to Gruwell's neighborhood.
2. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
(a) Beauty by Robin McKinley.
(b) Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice.
(c) Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery.
(d) Dawn by V.C. Andrews.
3. When the students are speaking at an elementary school, what icebreaker question brings nearly everyone forward?
(a) "Who only has one parent?"
(b) "Has anyone seen someone get shot before?"
(c) "Who has heard of Anne Frank?"
(d) "Who has had a family member murdered?"
4. How does Cheryl Best inspire a student?
(a) The student realizes that hard work makes up for a poor background.
(b) The student realizes you do not need a father figure to do well.
(c) The student realizes that college is possible for him/her.
(d) The student realizes s/he can go to medical school also.
5. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
(a) He is a professional alcoholic.
(b) He loves her mother very much.
(c) He works hard.
(d) He is never home.
6. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
(a) The teachers' union.
(b) Dr. Cohn and Karin Polacheck.
(c) John Tu.
(d) Teachers at the high school.
7. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
(a) How he died from a shooting.
(b) How he died in a car accident.
(c) How he died from a brain tumor.
(d) How he died from a knife wound.
8. Why do the students need a receptionist every class period?
(a) To help write letters.
(b) They are receiving so much mail.
(c) They have so many visitors.
(d) To teach them how to behave in certain social situations.
9. What does the student who used to play park league and Pop Warner football receive?
(a) A scholarship to play baseball.
(b) A scholarship to play basketball.
(c) A contract to play pro ball.
(d) A full-ride scholarship to a PAC-10 school.
10. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
(a) Because the student does not like being anonymous.
(b) Because the student does feel their writing is very good.
(c) Because the student thinks everyone should write their own book.
(d) The student would rather write fiction than be reminded of events s/he wishes to suppress.
11. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
(a) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional soccer.
(b) The student is trying to decide whether to go to college or play minor league baseball.
(c) The player is trying to decide whether to play professional basketball.
(d) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional football or not.
12. In Chapter V, what illness runs in a student's family?
(a) Congenital heart defects.
(b) Cystic fibrosis.
(c) Clinical depression.
(d) Cancer of the liver.
13. Who said, "The best method of overcoming your obstacles is the team method"?
(a) Colin Powell.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) Eldridge Cleaver.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
14. Why do the students sign an honor code?
(a) So no one embellishes or sensationalizes their stories.
(b) So there is not any further stealing of personal belongings.
(c) So there is not any further fighting.
(d) So there is not any further cheating on exams.
15. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
(a) John Tu's encouragement.
(b) The lessons learned in Gruwell's class.
(c) Words of Anne Frank.
(d) All the awards they receive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
2. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
3. After Christmas 1997, what do the students have to do to accept an award?
4. What happens to Teres's father?
5. What do the Freedom Writers do after their first year in college?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)