|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
(a) He works hard.
(b) He loves her mother very much.
(c) He is never home.
(d) He is a professional alcoholic.
2. What happens to Teres's father?
(a) He is killed in a drive-by shooting.
(b) He is shot in the head.
(c) He is shoved in front of a train.
(d) He overdoses on crack.
3. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
(a) The mother doen't do anything.
(b) Bring a list of black literature to the principal.
(c) Yell at the teacher.
(d) Go to the school board.
4. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Celeste Wiley.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Lurma Rackley.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
5. What does the student who used to play park league and Pop Warner football receive?
(a) A scholarship to play basketball.
(b) A scholarship to play baseball.
(c) A contract to play pro ball.
(d) A full-ride scholarship to a PAC-10 school.
6. In the book, "Animal Farm", what is a Boxer?
(a) A person who does not work hard.
(b) A person who is hardworking.
(c) A person who is a homebody.
(d) A person who likes to party.
7. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
(a) To leave the gang.
(b) The road to college.
(c) To graduate from high school.
(d) To become a doctor.
8. After Christmas 1997, what award do the students win?
(a) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr., Award.
(c) Freedom Award.
(d) Mies Giep Award.
9. What Christmas song is twisted during a sorority hazing?
(a) Deck the Halls.
(b) White Christmas.
(c) Jingle Bells.
(d) Here Comes Santa Claus.
10. What happens when a student gives her/himself an F?
(a) The student is sent to the principal's office.
(b) The student is dropped from Gruwell's class.
(c) The student is expelled.
(d) Gruwell gets angry and says that if you fail, I fail.
11. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Their senator.
(b) President of the United States.
(c) U. S. Secretary of Education.
(d) Their congressman.
12. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
(a) Because the student does not like being anonymous.
(b) Because the student does feel their writing is very good.
(c) The student would rather write fiction than be reminded of events s/he wishes to suppress.
(d) Because the student thinks everyone should write their own book.
13. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
(a) Ground Zero.
(b) The Bosnia War.
(c) Bosnia, a First-Hand Persepective.
(d) Bosnia: War or Religious Cleansing?
14. Why do the students need a receptionist every class period?
(a) They have so many visitors.
(b) To teach them how to behave in certain social situations.
(c) They are receiving so much mail.
(d) To help write letters.
15. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
(a) Because the student says s/he is dyslexic.
(b) Because the student does not turn in homework.
(c) Because the student draws pictures rather than taking notes in class.
(d) Because the student does not answer questions in class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
2. Why does Gruwell feel guilty when she drives students home if they stay late after school?
3. What does a truly self-reliant person do, according to Chapter V?
4. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
5. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)