|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Freedom Writers do after their first year in college?
(a) Visit South America.
(b) Tour Europe.
(c) Go to China.
(d) Go to an impoverished country and build houses.
2. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because he is a slob.
(b) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(c) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(d) Because he moves so quickly.
3. What Christmas song is twisted during a sorority hazing?
(a) White Christmas.
(b) Deck the Halls.
(c) Jingle Bells.
(d) Here Comes Santa Claus.
4. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) Catcher in the Rye.
(b) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(c) Scared Silent.
(d) The Color Purple.
5. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Malcom X.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Eldredge Cleaver.
6. In Chapter V, to where does a student take a road trip with her friends?
(a) Las Vegas.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
7. What do the Freedom Writers want the readers of their book to do?
(a) Buy copies of the books and give them to students who need hope.
(b) Write to the students.
(c) Volunteer with at-risk students.
(d) Pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change.
8. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
(a) Yell at the teacher.
(b) Go to the school board.
(c) The mother doen't do anything.
(d) Bring a list of black literature to the principal.
9. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
(a) The Bosnia War.
(b) Bosnia, a First-Hand Persepective.
(c) Bosnia: War or Religious Cleansing?
(d) Ground Zero.
10. When the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what motto do they chant?
(a) Freedom Writers have a dream.
(b) Dreams make you free.
(c) Freedom forever.
(d) Be free, dream.
11. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
(a) Because the student thinks everyone should write their own book.
(b) Because the student does feel their writing is very good.
(c) The student would rather write fiction than be reminded of events s/he wishes to suppress.
(d) Because the student does not like being anonymous.
12. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, where do they wish to go next?
(b) Anne Frank's attic.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) The Smithsonian.
13. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
(a) Soldier in a war.
(d) Police officer.
14. What is the prom queen's native country?
15. Why is a student amazed at being chosen to speak in front of Barbara Boxer, their senator?
(a) The student does not have good grades.
(b) Because the student has done some very outrageous things over the years.
(c) The student is deaf and speaks with sign language.
(d) The student has a speech impediment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the student who used to play park league and Pop Warner football receive?
2. Why is the Guess? Company sponsoring a trip for some of the Freedom Writers?
3. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
4. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
5. How is money raised to get the students to college?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)