|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the prom queen's native country?
2. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
(a) The student's abusive father.
(b) The books the student has read that influence him.
(c) How a best friend died in a gang war.
(d) The gang the student belongs to.
3. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
(a) A person who gossips.
(b) A person who works hard.
(c) A person who does not work hard.
(d) A person who can't keep a secret.
4. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) Scared Silent.
(b) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(c) The Color Purple.
(d) Catcher in the Rye.
5. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
(a) Snoop Doggy Dogg.
(c) Kanye West.
(d) 50 Cent.
6. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Lurma Rackley.
(b) Celeste Wiley.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Rosa Parks.
7. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
(a) "Silence gets you nowhere in life."
(b) "Success comes only to those who take advantage of opportunities."
(c) "A missed opportunity can never be made up."
(d) "Only those who take advantage of opportunities in life succeed."
8. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
(a) Bosnia, a First-Hand Persepective.
(b) Bosnia: War or Religious Cleansing?
(c) The Bosnia War.
(d) Ground Zero.
9. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because there aren't any good black writers.
(b) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(c) Because there isn't time.
(d) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
10. Why do the students sign an honor code?
(a) So there is not any further stealing of personal belongings.
(b) So there is not any further fighting.
(c) So no one embellishes or sensationalizes their stories.
(d) So there is not any further cheating on exams.
11. Where do the Freedom Writers mentor students?
(a) Newport Beach Elementary School.
(b) Long Beach Elementary School.
(c) Wilson Elementary School.
(d) Butler Elementary School.
12. After Christmas 1997, what do the students have to do to accept an award?
(a) Submit their diaries.
(b) Mentor other students.
(c) Go to New York City.
(d) Fly to Washington, D.C..
13. Why do the students have a particular place they want to visit after walking down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) They know they may never return to Washington, D.C.
(b) That is where their journey began.
(c) They always wanted to travel abroard.
(d) They want to see the national library.
14. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
(a) The teachers' union.
(b) John Tu.
(c) Teachers at the high school.
(d) Dr. Cohn and Karin Polacheck.
15. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
(a) The students stay with holocaust survivors.
(b) Gruwell chooses who rooms with who.
(c) The students choose their roommates.
(d) The students stay with private individuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a student feel after editing a story about an abortion?
2. After Christmas 1997, what award do the students win?
3. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
4. What does a truly self-reliant person do, according to Chapter V?
5. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)