|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
(a) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional soccer.
(b) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional football or not.
(c) The player is trying to decide whether to play professional basketball.
(d) The student is trying to decide whether to go to college or play minor league baseball.
2. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
(a) Freedom Fighters.
(b) Riders for Black Rights.
(c) Blacks for Freedom.
(d) Freedom Riders.
3. What do the students do when they walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in the spring of 1997?
(a) They join hands and retrace the steps Martin Luther King Jr. walked.
(b) Begin singing a freedom song.
(c) Meet with their local senators.
(d) Light candles and make speeches about freedom and tolerance.
4. Who wrote, "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"?
5. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
(a) A Hispanic student steals something from a Black student.
(b) A carton of milk is thrown.
(c) Someone takes a Black student's seat on the bus.
(d) Someone starts name calling.
6. In Chapter V, what illness runs in a student's family?
(a) Congenital heart defects.
(b) Cystic fibrosis.
(c) Clinical depression.
(d) Cancer of the liver.
7. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
(a) The road to college.
(b) To graduate from high school.
(c) To leave the gang.
(d) To become a doctor.
8. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(b) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(c) Because he moves so quickly.
(d) Because he is a slob.
9. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
(b) Long Beach.
(d) Newport Beach.
10. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
(a) A bake sale.
(b) A basketball game.
(c) A concert.
(d) Donations from wealthy donors.
11. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
(a) How he died from a brain tumor.
(b) How he died from a knife wound.
(c) How he died from a shooting.
(d) How he died in a car accident.
12. In Chapter V, to where does a student take a road trip with her friends?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) Las Vegas.
(d) San Francisco.
13. What happens after a student drives John Tu to his car?
(a) Tu tells the student to get a better car.
(b) Tu gives the student money for the ride.
(c) Tu offers the student a job.
(d) The student gets a flat tire.
14. Although their destinations after high school are different, what is still the same for the Freedom Writers?
(a) They are all attending college.
(b) Their full-ride scholarships.
(c) They are mentoring kids from the projects.
(d) Their common goal.
15. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
(a) Because the student draws pictures rather than taking notes in class.
(b) Because the student does not answer questions in class.
(c) Because the student says s/he is dyslexic.
(d) Because the student does not turn in homework.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
2. Why at the Lincoln Monument does Gruwell begin to understand why moms cry at school plays and graduations?
3. When one of the juniors was twelve, how did her grandmother die?
4. After Christmas 1997, what do the students have to do to accept an award?
5. What happens to the computers after the students graduate?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)