|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although their destinations after high school are different, what is still the same for the Freedom Writers?
(a) They are all attending college.
(b) They are mentoring kids from the projects.
(c) Their common goal.
(d) Their full-ride scholarships.
2. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
(a) Gruwell asks her if she comes again.
(b) That Gruwell is going to Bosnia.
(c) Zlata is the inspiration for the latest writing project.
(d) Gruwell thanks her for coming to see the class.
3. After Christmas 1997, what award do the students win?
(a) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(b) Freedom Award.
(c) Mies Giep Award.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr., Award.
4. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
(a) A person who works hard.
(b) A person who gossips.
(c) A person who does not work hard.
(d) A person who can't keep a secret.
5. What reporter does a student mention from the Los Angeles Times?
(a) Nellie WIlliams.
(b) Anita Wright.
(c) Nancy Wride.
(d) Nancy Phillips.
6. How is money raised to get the students to college?
(b) A nonprofit organization is created.
(c) Basketball tournaments.
(d) Sell the rights to their diaries.
7. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
(a) Words of Anne Frank.
(b) John Tu's encouragement.
(c) All the awards they receive.
(d) The lessons learned in Gruwell's class.
8. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
(a) President of the United States.
(b) U. S. Secretary of Education.
(c) Their congressman.
(d) Their senator.
9. Why do the students sign an honor code?
(a) So there is not any further cheating on exams.
(b) So there is not any further stealing of personal belongings.
(c) So there is not any further fighting.
(d) So no one embellishes or sensationalizes their stories.
10. In Chapter V, to where does a student take a road trip with her friends?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Las Vegas.
11. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
(a) The road to college.
(b) To graduate from high school.
(c) To leave the gang.
(d) To become a doctor.
12. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) Catcher in the Rye.
(b) The Color Purple.
(c) Scared Silent.
(d) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
13. What does a student's mother do about a teacher who doesn't read black literature?
(a) The mother doen't do anything.
(b) Yell at the teacher.
(c) Go to the school board.
(d) Bring a list of black literature to the principal.
14. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(b) Because there isn't time.
(c) Because there aren't any good black writers.
(d) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
15. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
(a) The students stay with private individuals.
(b) The students stay with holocaust survivors.
(c) The students choose their roommates.
(d) Gruwell chooses who rooms with who.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
2. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
3. What does a student talk about at the diversity seminar?
4. Who challenges the Freedom Writers to not just talk, but "to walk the walk"?
5. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)