|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter V, what illness runs in a student's family?
(a) Cystic fibrosis.
(b) Clinical depression.
(c) Congenital heart defects.
(d) Cancer of the liver.
2. Who says, "Earning happiness means doing good and working, not speculating and being lazy"?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Anne Frank.
(c) Miep Gies.
(d) Zlata Filipovic.
3. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Malcom X.
(c) Eldredge Cleaver.
(d) Rosa Parks.
4. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Celeste Wiley.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) Lurma Rackley.
5. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because he is a slob.
(b) Because he moves so quickly.
(c) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(d) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
6. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
(a) Ground Zero.
(b) Bosnia: War or Religious Cleansing?
(c) The Bosnia War.
(d) Bosnia, a First-Hand Persepective.
7. What poem does a student write after realizing living in the ghetto and having brown skin does not mean you cannot be successful?
(a) So Say What You Will.
(b) They Say, I Say.
(c) You Say, They Say, We Say.
(d) Say it Isn't So.
8. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
(b) Scared Silent.
(c) The Color Purple.
(d) Catcher in the Rye.
9. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
(a) Because the student draws pictures rather than taking notes in class.
(b) Because the student does not turn in homework.
(c) Because the student says s/he is dyslexic.
(d) Because the student does not answer questions in class.
10. How does one student describe Ritalin?
(a) It makes you dizzy like being on a carnival ride.
(b) It is like taking speed.
(c) It makes you drowsy.
(d) It has the power to control like a lasso on a horse.
11. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
(a) Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice.
(b) Beauty by Robin McKinley.
(c) Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery.
(d) Dawn by V.C. Andrews.
12. What is the prom queen's native country?
13. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
(a) Police officer.
(c) Soldier in a war.
14. Who are Jopie and Lies?
(a) Children from the family that hid the Franks during the war.
(b) Anne's best friends from school before the war.
(c) Anne Frank's parents.
(d) Anne Frank's aunt and uncle.
15. How is money raised to get the students to college?
(b) A nonprofit organization is created.
(c) Basketball tournaments.
(d) Sell the rights to their diaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the students sign an honor code?
2. Who publishes the Freedom Writer's diaries?
3. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
4. Why is a student amazed at being chosen to speak in front of Barbara Boxer, their senator?
5. After the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, where do they wish to go next?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)