|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Freedom Writers remember when the pressure of their new lives gets too intense?
(a) The lessons learned in Gruwell's class.
(b) Words of Anne Frank.
(c) All the awards they receive.
(d) John Tu's encouragement.
2. Why do the students and Gruwell have to climb out the window of the school one night?
(a) Because there is a gang fight outside the front door.
(b) So the alarms don't go off.
(c) Because they are not supposed to be in the building after hours.
(d) That is how they get into the school.
3. What happens after a student drives John Tu to his car?
(a) Tu tells the student to get a better car.
(b) The student gets a flat tire.
(c) Tu offers the student a job.
(d) Tu gives the student money for the ride.
4. In the book "Animal Farm", what is a Molly?
(a) A person who gossips.
(b) A person who does not work hard.
(c) A person who works hard.
(d) A person who can't keep a secret.
5. When the students walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, what motto do they chant?
(a) Dreams make you free.
(b) Freedom forever.
(c) Be free, dream.
(d) Freedom Writers have a dream.
6. What is the prom queen's native country?
7. To whom does the class give a copy of their diaries when in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Their congressman.
(b) Their senator.
(c) U. S. Secretary of Education.
(d) President of the United States.
8. How does a mother of a student die of shortly before her Christmas Eve birthday?
(a) Raped and left for dead.
(b) Heroin overdose.
(d) Shot in the chest.
9. What Christmas song is twisted during a sorority hazing?
(a) White Christmas.
(b) Here Comes Santa Claus.
(c) Jingle Bells.
(d) Deck the Halls.
10. What happens to Teres's father?
(a) He is shoved in front of a train.
(b) He is killed in a drive-by shooting.
(c) He is shot in the head.
(d) He overdoses on crack.
11. Whose album cover does the class analyze?
(a) Snoop Doggy Dogg.
(b) Kanye West.
(c) 50 Cent.
12. What is different about rooming arrangements when the Freedom Writers go to New York?
(a) The students choose their roommates.
(b) The students stay with holocaust survivors.
(c) Gruwell chooses who rooms with who.
(d) The students stay with private individuals.
13. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
(a) Because the student does not like being anonymous.
(b) Because the student does feel their writing is very good.
(c) Because the student thinks everyone should write their own book.
(d) The student would rather write fiction than be reminded of events s/he wishes to suppress.
14. Why does a student's mother usually get twice as many presents on Christmas Eve as everyone else?
(a) She doesn't get many present as a child and her parents are trying to make up for it.
(b) Because her husband is sorry for the years he isn't there for the family.
(c) Because she has so many children.
(d) Christmas Eve is her birthday.
15. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(b) Because there isn't time.
(c) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
(d) Because there aren't any good black writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why at the Lincoln Monument does Gruwell begin to understand why moms cry at school plays and graduations?
2. Who wrote, "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"?
3. Why is a student amazed at being chosen to speak in front of Barbara Boxer, their senator?
4. What poem does a student write after realizing living in the ghetto and having brown skin does not mean you cannot be successful?
5. What does a student want to tell a prisoner in West Virginia?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)