|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What award do the students receive from the American Jewish Committee?
(a) The Micah Award.
(b) Freedom For All Award.
(c) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(d) The Martin Luther King, Jr., Freedom Award.
2. What is the name of the book that has Celie as the main character?
(a) Catcher in the Rye.
(b) The Color Purple.
(c) Scared Silent.
(d) Their Eyes Were Watching God.
3. Where is Gruwell the day before the junior year begins?
(a) Newport Beach.
(b) Long Beach.
4. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
(a) Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery.
(b) Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice.
(c) Beauty by Robin McKinley.
(d) Dawn by V.C. Andrews.
5. What does a truly self-reliant person do, according to Chapter V?
(a) Not accept help from anyone.
(b) Not rely on anyone.
(c) Find his weak link and strengthen it.
(d) Lean on family and friends for support.
6. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
(a) Bosnia, a First-Hand Persepective.
(b) Bosnia: War or Religious Cleansing?
(c) Ground Zero.
(d) The Bosnia War.
7. What do the students do when they walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in the spring of 1997?
(a) Light candles and make speeches about freedom and tolerance.
(b) Meet with their local senators.
(c) They join hands and retrace the steps Martin Luther King Jr. walked.
(d) Begin singing a freedom song.
8. How does one student describe Ritalin?
(a) It is like taking speed.
(b) It makes you drowsy.
(c) It makes you dizzy like being on a carnival ride.
(d) It has the power to control like a lasso on a horse.
9. What happens after a student drives John Tu to his car?
(a) Tu offers the student a job.
(b) The student gets a flat tire.
(c) Tu gives the student money for the ride.
(d) Tu tells the student to get a better car.
10. What is a student referring to when she says she is a loving girl, but there is pain in her heart?
(a) She is in an abusive relationship.
(b) She wishes she has a boyfriend.
(c) Her mother is dying.
(d) Her best friend died.
11. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) She is not sure that she wants to take another trip so soon.
(b) Their funds are getting low and they do not have as many sponsors any more.
(c) She is too tired.
(d) She has to deal with practical matters of the trip.
12. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
(a) He is never home.
(b) He loves her mother very much.
(c) He works hard.
(d) He is a professional alcoholic.
13. What reporter does a student mention from the Los Angeles Times?
(a) Nellie WIlliams.
(b) Nancy Wride.
(c) Anita Wright.
(d) Nancy Phillips.
14. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Eldredge Cleaver.
(b) Malcom X.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
15. Why at the Lincoln Monument does Gruwell begin to understand why moms cry at school plays and graduations?
(a) She can't find one of the students.
(b) She is worried about getting everyone back on the buses.
(c) She is not looking forward to losing the students after they graduated.
(d) She is so proud of the Freedom Writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What program is created to teach tolerance to kids who feel as if they don't fit in?
2. What is the prom queen's native country?
3. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
4. What does Gruwell do the summer of 1996?
5. How is money raised to get the students to college?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)