|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
(a) A bake sale.
(b) A concert.
(c) A basketball game.
(d) Donations from wealthy donors.
2. Besides moving forward, what are the Freedom Writers doing?
(a) Serving as volunteers.
(b) Writing novels, poetry, and newspaper or magazine articles.
(c) Pulling family members and friends along too.
(d) Volunteering at the Museum of Tolerance.
3. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because he moves so quickly.
(b) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(c) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(d) Because he is a slob.
4. What does a truly self-reliant person do, according to Chapter V?
(a) Not rely on anyone.
(b) Lean on family and friends for support.
(c) Find his weak link and strengthen it.
(d) Not accept help from anyone.
5. Why does a student get kicked off the basketball team this senior year?
(a) Drinking on school property.
(b) Skipping practices.
(c) Her attitude.
(d) Arrested for doing drugs.
6. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
(a) How he died from a shooting.
(b) How he died from a brain tumor.
(c) How he died in a car accident.
(d) How he died from a knife wound.
7. In Chapter V, what illness runs in a student's family?
(a) Cancer of the liver.
(b) Cystic fibrosis.
(c) Congenital heart defects.
(d) Clinical depression.
8. What does Gruwell tell Zlata on the phone spring of 1996?
(a) Gruwell thanks her for coming to see the class.
(b) Gruwell asks her if she comes again.
(c) That Gruwell is going to Bosnia.
(d) Zlata is the inspiration for the latest writing project.
9. Why do the students have a particular place they want to visit after walking down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial?
(a) They always wanted to travel abroard.
(b) That is where their journey began.
(c) They know they may never return to Washington, D.C.
(d) They want to see the national library.
10. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
(a) Because the student says s/he is dyslexic.
(b) Because the student does not answer questions in class.
(c) Because the student does not turn in homework.
(d) Because the student draws pictures rather than taking notes in class.
11. One student has never been on a Freedom Writers trip before. Why does the student get to go to D.C.?
(a) Because the student's father is in Mexico.
(b) Because someone donates the money so the student can go.
(c) Because the student no longer has to help with a sick brother.
(d) Because the student finally has good grades.
12. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
(a) Lurma Rackley.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Celeste Wiley.
13. Why do the students need a receptionist every class period?
(a) They have so many visitors.
(b) They are receiving so much mail.
(c) To help write letters.
(d) To teach them how to behave in certain social situations.
14. What is a student referring to when she says she is a loving girl, but there is pain in her heart?
(a) Her mother is dying.
(b) She wishes she has a boyfriend.
(c) Her best friend died.
(d) She is in an abusive relationship.
15. What article by Peter Maass does a student read his/her sophomore year?
(a) Bosnia: War or Religious Cleansing?
(b) Ground Zero.
(c) The Bosnia War.
(d) Bosnia, a First-Hand Persepective.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "The best method of overcoming your obstacles is the team method"?
2. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
3. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
4. Why, a few weeks before graduation, does a student have to give up his dream of attending a prestigious technical school?
5. How does a student feel after editing a story about an abortion?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)