|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a junior student say about her stepfather during the fall semester?
(a) He loves her mother very much.
(b) He is never home.
(c) He is a professional alcoholic.
(d) He works hard.
2. What does a student say after not taking the opportunity to sing to Jopie and Lies?
(a) "Only those who take advantage of opportunities in life succeed."
(b) "Success comes only to those who take advantage of opportunities."
(c) "A missed opportunity can never be made up."
(d) "Silence gets you nowhere in life."
3. A student who wants to be a aeronautical engineer gets to go to _______.
(b) Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena.
(c) NASA's Johnson Space Center.
4. What were Rosa Parks and the other blacks called who rode buses to fight racism?
(a) Blacks for Freedom.
(b) Freedom Fighters.
(c) Freedom Riders.
(d) Riders for Black Rights.
5. In Chapter V, to where does a student take a road trip with her friends?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) Las Vegas.
(d) San Francisco.
6. Besides moving forward, what are the Freedom Writers doing?
(a) Volunteering at the Museum of Tolerance.
(b) Writing novels, poetry, and newspaper or magazine articles.
(c) Serving as volunteers.
(d) Pulling family members and friends along too.
7. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
(a) Because the student does not answer questions in class.
(b) Because the student says s/he is dyslexic.
(c) Because the student draws pictures rather than taking notes in class.
(d) Because the student does not turn in homework.
8. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Eldredge Cleaver.
(c) Malcom X.
(d) Rosa Parks.
9. Who wrote, "Who so should be a man, must be a nonconformist"?
10. Why does a student's mother usually get twice as many presents on Christmas Eve as everyone else?
(a) She doesn't get many present as a child and her parents are trying to make up for it.
(b) Because her husband is sorry for the years he isn't there for the family.
(c) Christmas Eve is her birthday.
(d) Because she has so many children.
11. Who challenges the Freedom Writers to not just talk, but "to walk the walk"?
(a) Connie Cheung.
(b) Erin Gruwell.
(c) John Tu.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
12. What happens to Teres's father?
(a) He is shoved in front of a train.
(b) He overdoses on crack.
(c) He is shot in the head.
(d) He is killed in a drive-by shooting.
13. Why is the Guess? Company sponsoring a trip for some of the Freedom Writers?
(a) Because they graduated from Wilson High School.
(b) Because they donate twenty percent of their profits to needy causes.
(c) Because they are minority entrepreneurs and wish to help others succeed.
(d) Because the founders are Jewish and had to flee Europe during the Holocaust.
14. What novel inspires one of the student's to try to write her own book?
(a) Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery.
(b) Dawn by V.C. Andrews.
(c) Beauty by Robin McKinley.
(d) Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice.
15. What do the students do when they walk down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in the spring of 1997?
(a) Meet with their local senators.
(b) Begin singing a freedom song.
(c) They join hands and retrace the steps Martin Luther King Jr. walked.
(d) Light candles and make speeches about freedom and tolerance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cheryl Best inspire a student?
2. Why doesn't Gruwell cheer when students get excited about making another trip after touring the Lincoln Memorial?
3. What road less traveled does a student decide to take Senior year?
4. Why do the students and Gruwell have to climb out the window of the school one night?
5. What museum do the students visit in D.C.?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)