|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does a student compare him/herself to when the student says "I've probably witnessed more dead bodies than a ______________."
(a) Police officer.
(b) Soldier in a war.
2. What happens to the computers after the students graduate?
(a) The computers are given to the Distinguished Scholars.
(b) The computers are moved to the media center.
(c) The computers are sent to an elementary school.
(d) The computers are given to the 35 students with the highest grade point average.
3. Who publishes the Freedom Writer's diaries?
(b) Inner City Press.
4. What happens when a student gives her/himself an F?
(a) The student is expelled.
(b) The student is dropped from Gruwell's class.
(c) Gruwell gets angry and says that if you fail, I fail.
(d) The student is sent to the principal's office.
5. What happens to Teres's father?
(a) He is killed in a drive-by shooting.
(b) He is shoved in front of a train.
(c) He is shot in the head.
(d) He overdoses on crack.
6. Why does a student say John Tu gives instead of handouts?
7. Why does a teacher say they do not read black literature in class?
(a) Because the teacher prefers to read literature by Hispanics.
(b) Because there aren't any good black writers.
(c) Because it all has sex, fornication, drugs, and cussing.
(d) Because there isn't time.
8. Why is a student amazed at being chosen to speak in front of Barbara Boxer, their senator?
(a) The student does not have good grades.
(b) Because the student has done some very outrageous things over the years.
(c) The student is deaf and speaks with sign language.
(d) The student has a speech impediment.
9. Why does Tu donate computers?
(a) So every teacher at Wilson High has a computer in their classrooms.
(b) So no one recognizes the handwriting in diary entries.
(c) To set up a computer lab.
(d) Because there are no computers available at school.
10. Why does a student's mother usually get twice as many presents on Christmas Eve as everyone else?
(a) Because she has so many children.
(b) Because her husband is sorry for the years he isn't there for the family.
(c) She doesn't get many present as a child and her parents are trying to make up for it.
(d) Christmas Eve is her birthday.
11. How is money raised to get the students to college?
(a) A nonprofit organization is created.
(b) Basketball tournaments.
(d) Sell the rights to their diaries.
12. Although their destinations after high school are different, what is still the same for the Freedom Writers?
(a) They are all attending college.
(b) Their full-ride scholarships.
(c) Their common goal.
(d) They are mentoring kids from the projects.
13. What do the Freedom Writers do after their first year in college?
(a) Go to China.
(b) Visit South America.
(c) Tour Europe.
(d) Go to an impoverished country and build houses.
14. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
(a) The student is trying to decide whether to go to college or play minor league baseball.
(b) The player is trying to decide whether to play professional basketball.
(c) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional football or not.
(d) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional soccer.
15. How does a student feel after editing a story about an abortion?
(a) That no one has an abortion.
(b) That more girls make the choice to have an abortion.
(c) That his girlfriend did not have an abortion.
(d) That he was with his girlfriend when she had her abortion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What civil rights activist do the Freedom Writers meet days before the second college semester begins?
2. Why is one student not excited about making a book of events from their lives?
3. Why does Gruwell feel guilty when she drives students home if they stay late after school?
4. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
5. Where do the Freedom Writers mentor students?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)