|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What program is created to teach tolerance to kids who feel as if they don't fit in?
(a) Celebrating Diversity Through the Arts.
(b) Celebrating Diversity Through Literature.
(c) Diversity Through Mentoring.
(d) Celebrating Diversity Through Sports.
2. What award do the students receive from the American Jewish Committee?
(a) The Micah Award.
(b) Spirit of Anne Frank Award.
(c) Freedom For All Award.
(d) The Martin Luther King, Jr., Freedom Award.
3. Who says, "Little black boys and black girls are able to join hands with little white boys and white girls"?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Rosa Parks.
(c) Eldredge Cleaver.
(d) Malcom X.
4. Why does a student call her mother's boyfriend a tornado?
(a) Because after he hits, their apartment and the student's mother look like they've been in a tornado.
(b) Because he is a slob.
(c) Because he is a runner and runs quickly.
(d) Because he moves so quickly.
5. What museum do the students visit in D.C.?
(a) Holocaust Museum.
(c) National Gallery of Art.
(d) Library of Congress.
6. During the diversity seminar, what does a student remember about how his/her brother died during his/her sophomore year?
(a) How he died in a car accident.
(b) How he died from a shooting.
(c) How he died from a knife wound.
(d) How he died from a brain tumor.
7. Why do the students need a receptionist every class period?
(a) They have so many visitors.
(b) To teach them how to behave in certain social situations.
(c) To help write letters.
(d) They are receiving so much mail.
8. How is money raised for a trip to Washington, D.C.?
(a) Donations from wealthy donors.
(b) A bake sale.
(c) A basketball game.
(d) A concert.
9. Why does a student get kicked off the basketball team this senior year?
(a) Skipping practices.
(b) Drinking on school property.
(c) Her attitude.
(d) Arrested for doing drugs.
10. Where do the Freedom Writers mentor students?
(a) Long Beach Elementary School.
(b) Butler Elementary School.
(c) Newport Beach Elementary School.
(d) Wilson Elementary School.
11. What is the prom queen's native country?
12. Why is a student asking the question, "To sign or not to sign"?
(a) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional soccer.
(b) The student is trying to decide whether to go to college or play minor league baseball.
(c) The player is trying to decide whether to play professional basketball.
(d) The student is trying to decide whether to play professional football or not.
13. What happens after a student drives John Tu to his car?
(a) Tu offers the student a job.
(b) Tu tells the student to get a better car.
(c) Tu gives the student money for the ride.
(d) The student gets a flat tire.
14. Besides moving forward, what are the Freedom Writers doing?
(a) Writing novels, poetry, and newspaper or magazine articles.
(b) Serving as volunteers.
(c) Volunteering at the Museum of Tolerance.
(d) Pulling family members and friends along too.
15. What starts a series of fights between Hispanics and Blacks at school during the fall of 1996?
(a) Someone takes a Black student's seat on the bus.
(b) A Hispanic student steals something from a Black student.
(c) A carton of milk is thrown.
(d) Someone starts name calling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who publishes the Freedom Writer's diaries?
2. Who helps Gruwell get permission to teach the seniors?
3. Why does a student have to be head of the household and worry about rent and car payments Senior year?
4. How does a student feel after editing a story about an abortion?
5. Why does a teacher call the diary writer of entry 70 lazy?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)