|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the fall of 1994, why does one student say s/he does not belong in Gruwell's class?
(a) Because the student is Latino.
(b) Because the student is white.
(c) Because the student's test scores are high.
(d) Because there is a mix up in the schedule.
2. What is Sharaud's goal when he arrives in Gruwell's class?
(a) Do well in his studies.
(b) Play basketball.
(c) Drop out of school.
(d) Make his preppy student teacher cry.
3. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
(a) When the war ended.
(b) Three days before the war ended.
(c) Before the war in Bosnia began.
(d) After the war began in Bosnia.
4. Why are some students not allowed to go to the Medieval Times Restaurant?
(a) Their haircuts.
(b) Their attitudes.
(c) They flunk the test.
(d) Their clothes.
5. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
(a) Because her grandmother encouraged her to do so.
(b) Because her teacher assigned diary writing as a school project.
(c) As a place to keep secrets from her parents.
(d) As a place to record her childhood.
6. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
(a) A basketball tournament.
(b) Donation jars at stores.
(c) A bake sale.
(d) A chili supper.
7. Why is Gruwell not allowed to teach Sharaud and his classmates the following year?
(a) She doesn't have enough seniority.
(b) She is going to a different high school.
(c) She asks to be transferred to a different class.
(d) She does not do a very good job of teaching.
8. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
(a) Zlata grandparents.
(b) Zlata's teacher.
(c) No one, Zlata goes alone.
(d) Zlata's parents and her best friend, Mirna.
9. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
10. What does Zlata hope the Freedom Writers Diary will do?
(a) Make money so the Freedom Writers can pay for college.
(b) Inspire people to write to fight prejudice and to deal with events in a positive way.
(c) Help the Freedom Writers become successful writers.
(d) Help the families of the Freedom Writers.
11. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
(a) The Royal Diaries and I Will Bear Witness.
(b) The Reagan Diaries and The Heroin Diaries.
(c) The Great Depression: A Diary and The Adderall Diaries.
(d) Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, and Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo.
12. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
(a) Because she does not want to see him as often.
(b) Because she is becoming interested in another guy.
(c) Because she can never stab herself over a guy.
(d) Because she sees things in him she does not like.
13. Who is Miep Gies?
(a) A friend of Zlata Filipovic.
(b) A teacher at Wilson High.
(c) The woman who kept Anne Frank alive in the attic.
(d) Director of the Museum of Tolerance.
14. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
(a) Because they are the same race as the main character.
(b) Because the character has a preppy school teacher also.
(c) Because the character dislikes school also.
(d) Because either they, a family member, or a friend has been in jail.
15. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
(a) Her parents were dead, but her siblings were in Renee's barracks.
(b) Her father was dead, but her mother was in Renee's barracks.
(c) She could be reunited with her family in the crematorium.
(d) Her family was transferred to another camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
2. Why are the diaries written anonymously?
3. Why can't a student go to a movie with her best friend?
4. To what does Gruwell compare the Capulets and Montagues in Romeo and Juliet?
5. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)