|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
(a) Otherwise, they do not graduate from high school.
(b) Otherwise, they never go to college.
(c) Otherwise, they do not live to thirty years of age.
(d) Otherwise, history repeats with their children.
2. What does Zlata have in common with the students?
(a) They all have seen war.
(b) They are teenagers.
(c) They have all lost parents.
(d) They like the same rock bands.
3. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
(a) Not being pretty.
(b) Having a disfiguring scar.
(c) Not being handsome.
(d) Being overweight.
4. What does a student remember after reading about women being molested in Bosnia?
(a) How her uncle molested her.
(b) How her father's friend molested her.
(c) How her father molested her.
(d) How she was raped.
5. What are the students inspired to do after reading the diaries?
(a) Write their own diaries.
(b) Write a screenplay.
(c) Quit school.
(d) Talk to their parents about improving their lives.
6. What happened to one student before emigrating to the United States from Peru?
(a) The student's school was bombed.
(b) The student's father was killed.
(c) The house next door was bombed.
(d) The student was injured in a car bombing.
7. Why does the class split up their junior year?
(a) The school board is not happy with Gruwell's methods.
(b) Gruwell may be leaving.
(c) Other teachers are saying Gruwell doesn't haven't enough seniority to pick students.
(d) The principal wants to split up the class.
8. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
(b) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
(c) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(d) The Wave and Night.
9. What happens to a student's friends a year ago, when the student was a freshman?
(a) Killed in a gang fight.
(b) Killed trying to commit a robbery.
(c) Sent to juvenile hall.
(d) Put in prison.
10. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
(a) Because the student is overweight.
(b) Because the student broke an arm.
(c) Because the student has cystic fibrosis.
(d) Because the student has asthma.
11. In Diary One, how long does the student give Gruwell before she quits?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A month.
12. What event does Gruwell say puts some teachers at Wilson High over the edge?
(a) When Gruwell's class goes to the school board.
(b) When Gruwell's class puts on a play.
(c) When Gruwell's class is invited to meet Spielberg.
(d) When Gruwell's class startes getting good grades.
13. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
(a) They die.
(b) They lose a limb due to infection.
(c) They become abusive and don't care if they hurt their families.
(d) They are horribly disfigured.
14. Why is Gruwell not allowed to teach Sharaud and his classmates the following year?
(a) She doesn't have enough seniority.
(b) She asks to be transferred to a different class.
(c) She does not do a very good job of teaching.
(d) She is going to a different high school.
15. What does one student say when she compares her father to John Tu?
(a) That Tu gives her more attention in seven minutes than her dad has in seven years.
(b) Tu is shorter than her father.
(c) Tu is very rude to her.
(d) Tu is taller than her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of students attend Wilson High?
2. Why does one student call the story "The Last Spin" a trip?
3. What happens to a student when she runs away with her boyfriend?
4. What does Zlata hope the Freedom Writers Diary will do?
5. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)