|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
(a) They beat someone up.
(b) One student is beaten until bones are broken and another student is humiliated.
(c) They kill someone.
(d) They deface school property.
2. What types of students attend Wilson High?
(a) Mostly hispanics.
(b) Mostly caucasian students.
(c) Rich kids and poor kids from the projects.
(d) Mostly blacks.
3. Where does Gruwell student teaching?
(a) A high school in Los Angeles.
(b) Wilson High School.
(c) Williams High School.
(d) Newport Beach High School.
4. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
5. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
(a) Otherwise, they do not live to thirty years of age.
(b) Otherwise, they never go to college.
(c) Otherwise, history repeats with their children.
(d) Otherwise, they do not graduate from high school.
6. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
(a) Near the projects.
(b) In a gated community.
(c) A safe neighborhood near the ocean.
(d) Near downtown Los Angeles.
7. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
(a) No one, Zlata goes alone.
(b) Zlata's teacher.
(c) Zlata's parents and her best friend, Mirna.
(d) Zlata grandparents.
8. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
(a) How to get out of the country.
(b) How to write diaries.
(c) How to protect themselves.
(d) What a bomb sounded like and what it was like to have no home.
9. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
(a) Not being pretty.
(b) Having a disfiguring scar.
(c) Not being handsome.
(d) Being overweight.
10. When does Zlata meet the students of Wilson High School?
(a) March, 2006.
(b) September, 1998.
(c) December, 1997.
(d) March, 1996.
11. What is so special about the buses students rode in with Zlata and Mirna?
(a) The buses are air conditioned, have televisions, seat lights, and bathrooms.
(b) They are driven by bus drivers in tuxedoes.
(c) Each student has their own seat.
(d) There are no broken windows or torn seats.
12. What does one student say when she compares her father to John Tu?
(a) Tu is shorter than her father.
(b) Tu is very rude to her.
(c) Tu is taller than her father.
(d) That Tu gives her more attention in seven minutes than her dad has in seven years.
13. What is Sharaud's goal when he arrives in Gruwell's class?
(a) Do well in his studies.
(b) Play basketball.
(c) Make his preppy student teacher cry.
(d) Drop out of school.
14. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(b) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
(c) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
(d) The Wave and Night.
15. Why does one student apologize in Diary 50?
(a) Because the student has a fight with a best friend.
(b) Because the student is taking crystal meth.
(c) Because the student is an alcoholic.
(d) Because the student shoplifts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zlata's diary become?
2. What happens to a student when she runs away with her boyfriend?
3. What is a four-letter word not in the students' vocabulary, according to Gruwell their sophomore year?
4. What are the students inspired to do after reading the diaries?
5. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)