|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
(a) What a bomb sounded like and what it was like to have no home.
(b) How to write diaries.
(c) How to get out of the country.
(d) How to protect themselves.
2. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
(a) That the student has to repeat the class next year.
(b) That she can tutor the student over the summer.
(c) That the student will never graduate.
(d) She believes in her.
3. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
(a) There is one ordeal after the other from race riots to walkouts.
(b) The principal has new restrictions.
(c) She is not allowed to stay after school.
(d) The school board does not allow field trips.
4. What does one student realize after meeting the diversity panelists?
(a) That the panelists overcome many hardships.
(b) That anything is possible.
(c) The student does not have anything in common with the diversity panelists.
(d) Other people have difficult lives also.
5. What important lesson does one student learn during her freshman year?
(a) That school can be interesting.
(b) People do change.
(c) How to study.
(d) That Gruwell is an extraordinary teacher.
6. What secret is "Little Miss Goodie Goodie" hiding?
(a) That she is doing drugs.
(b) That she is pregnant.
(c) That she is a closet drinker.
(d) That she killed another student.
7. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
(a) Whether people are physically hurt or not.
(b) Whether people endure emotional crises because of what happened.
(c) How people deal with what happens in their lives.
(d) Whether family members are there to help.
8. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
(a) Her parents were dead, but her siblings were in Renee's barracks.
(b) Her family was transferred to another camp.
(c) She could be reunited with her family in the crematorium.
(d) Her father was dead, but her mother was in Renee's barracks.
9. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
(b) The Wave and Night.
(c) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(d) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
10. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
(a) Room 407.
(b) His church.
(c) At his aunt's house.
(d) Room 203.
11. Why does one student call the story "The Last Spin" a trip?
(a) It is a very unbelievable story.
(b) The student has never heard of the Montagues and Capulets before.
(c) It is a very funny story.
(d) This student has never before read anything in school that related to everyday life.
12. What is the perfect Cinderella story for one student?
(a) To be prom queen.
(b) To have a date for the prom.
(c) To have a boyfriend like John Tu.
(d) To have her father be a dad.
13. What event does Gruwell say puts some teachers at Wilson High over the edge?
(a) When Gruwell's class puts on a play.
(b) When Gruwell's class startes getting good grades.
(c) When Gruwell's class is invited to meet Spielberg.
(d) When Gruwell's class goes to the school board.
14. In Diary One, how long does the student give Gruwell before she quits?
(a) One day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) Three days.
15. How difficult is it for a student at Wilson to buy a gun?
(a) It is as easy as buying bubble gum.
(b) Difficult, because a gun is very expensive.
(c) Very difficult.
(d) It is impossible; no one sells a student a gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
2. What is Sharaud's goal when he arrives in Gruwell's class?
3. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
4. What is a four-letter word not in the students' vocabulary, according to Gruwell their sophomore year?
5. Where is Zlata's homeland?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)