|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Tommy Jefferson, a football player, cry?
(a) The death of a friend.
(b) Anne Frank's experience.
(c) Zlata's experience.
(d) His father's death.
2. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
(a) Because they are the same race as the main character.
(b) Because the character dislikes school also.
(c) Because either they, a family member, or a friend has been in jail.
(d) Because the character has a preppy school teacher also.
3. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
(a) The Great Depression: A Diary and The Adderall Diaries.
(b) The Reagan Diaries and The Heroin Diaries.
(c) The Royal Diaries and I Will Bear Witness.
(d) Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, and Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo.
4. Where is Zlata's homeland?
5. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
(a) Otherwise, they do not graduate from high school.
(b) Otherwise, history repeats with their children.
(c) Otherwise, they do not live to thirty years of age.
(d) Otherwise, they never go to college.
6. When does Zlata meet the students of Wilson High School?
(a) March, 1996.
(b) March, 2006.
(c) December, 1997.
(d) September, 1998.
7. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
(a) As a place to record her childhood.
(b) As a place to keep secrets from her parents.
(c) Because her grandmother encouraged her to do so.
(d) Because her teacher assigned diary writing as a school project.
8. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
(a) She is now able to travel.
(b) She was given some influence in the world.
(c) She was able to become a famous writer.
(d) She was able to finish school.
9. What book relates to the life of a student who lives in an interment camp?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Hoop Dreams.
(c) Durango Street.
(d) Farewell to Manzanar.
10. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
(a) A trial where the student is a witness.
(b) The trial of the student's brother for murder.
(c) The Oklahoma City bombing.
(d) The student's mother's trial for murder.
11. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
(a) At his aunt's house.
(b) Room 203.
(c) Room 407.
(d) His church.
12. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
(a) What a bomb sounded like and what it was like to have no home.
(b) How to protect themselves.
(c) How to get out of the country.
(d) How to write diaries.
13. Who is Miep Gies?
(a) Director of the Museum of Tolerance.
(b) A friend of Zlata Filipovic.
(c) The woman who kept Anne Frank alive in the attic.
(d) A teacher at Wilson High.
14. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) The student is expelled from their old school.
(b) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
(c) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
(d) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
15. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
(a) Because the student is overweight.
(b) Because the student has cystic fibrosis.
(c) Because the student has asthma.
(d) Because the student broke an arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event caused 168 innocent men, women and children to die?
2. What event does Gruwell say puts some teachers at Wilson High over the edge?
3. What does one student say when she compares her father to John Tu?
4. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
5. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)