|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
(a) He thinks Tommy is doing well in school.
(b) Teachers doesn't usually call to say Tommy is doing well.
(c) Most teachers do not bother to keep parents informed.
(d) A teacher never calls him before.
2. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
(a) Steven Spielberg.
(b) Zlata Filipovic.
(c) Anne Frank.
(d) Miep Gies.
3. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
(a) She also works at the Marriott Hotel and Norstroms.
(b) Private donors.
(c) Gruwell has a trust fund.
(d) The students and their parents pay.
4. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
(a) Put lipstick on clothes she tries on.
(c) Meet a friend.
(d) Tears clothes that she tries on.
5. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
6. What makes Tommy Jefferson, a football player, cry?
(a) The death of a friend.
(b) Anne Frank's experience.
(c) Zlata's experience.
(d) His father's death.
7. Why does one student apologize in Diary 50?
(a) Because the student has a fight with a best friend.
(b) Because the student is taking crystal meth.
(c) Because the student shoplifts.
(d) Because the student is an alcoholic.
8. In the spring of 1995, who offers to help take the students on a field trip?
(a) The principal.
(b) Anne Frank.
(c) John Tu.
(d) Other teachers.
9. Why does Gruwell throw out her carefully planned lessons in the fall of 1994?
(a) The lessons are not appropriate for the class.
(b) None of the students know what the Holocaust is.
(c) The lessons are geared toward white middle class students.
(d) The students are not smart enough to handle the work.
10. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
(a) They die.
(b) They are horribly disfigured.
(c) They lose a limb due to infection.
(d) They become abusive and don't care if they hurt their families.
11. What does one student realize after meeting the diversity panelists?
(a) The student does not have anything in common with the diversity panelists.
(b) That the panelists overcome many hardships.
(c) Other people have difficult lives also.
(d) That anything is possible.
12. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
(a) Zlata grandparents.
(b) No one, Zlata goes alone.
(c) Zlata's parents and her best friend, Mirna.
(d) Zlata's teacher.
13. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
(a) Her father was dead, but her mother was in Renee's barracks.
(b) Her family was transferred to another camp.
(c) Her parents were dead, but her siblings were in Renee's barracks.
(d) She could be reunited with her family in the crematorium.
14. When does Zlata meet the students of Wilson High School?
(a) September, 1998.
(b) December, 1997.
(c) March, 2006.
(d) March, 1996.
15. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) The student is expelled from their old school.
(b) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
(c) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
(d) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Zlata when she speaks to the students?
2. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
3. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
4. What does one student realize after playing the Peanut Game?
5. What secret is "Little Miss Goodie Goodie" hiding?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)