|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gruwell almost take another job the fall of 1995?
(a) The attitudes of the principal and school board.
(b) The students' behavior last year.
(c) The apathy of her students.
(d) The attitudes of the other teachers.
2. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
(a) After the war began in Bosnia.
(b) When the war ended.
(c) Three days before the war ended.
(d) Before the war in Bosnia began.
3. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
4. What types of students attend Wilson High?
(a) Mostly hispanics.
(b) Rich kids and poor kids from the projects.
(c) Mostly blacks.
(d) Mostly caucasian students.
5. How does one student testify at a murder trial?
(a) The student lies.
(b) The student tells the truth.
(c) The student confesses to the crime.
(d) The student takes the fifth.
6. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
(a) They deface school property.
(b) They kill someone.
(c) One student is beaten until bones are broken and another student is humiliated.
(d) They beat someone up.
7. Who is the teacher of the students at Wilson High School?
(a) Emilie Gridwell.
(b) Elise Gonzalez.
(c) Erin Gruwell.
(d) Anne Frank.
8. What is so special about the buses students rode in with Zlata and Mirna?
(a) The buses are air conditioned, have televisions, seat lights, and bathrooms.
(b) There are no broken windows or torn seats.
(c) They are driven by bus drivers in tuxedoes.
(d) Each student has their own seat.
9. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
(a) At his aunt's house.
(b) Room 407.
(c) His church.
(d) Room 203.
10. What does Zlata say about Erin Gruwell?
(a) Gruwell is respected and liked by all her fellow teachers.
(b) Gruwell should move on to a different high school.
(c) Gruwell is lucky to have such a talented group of students.
(d) Gruwell serves as parent, friend, advocate, and teacher.
11. In Diary One, how long does the student give Gruwell before she quits?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) One day.
(d) A month.
12. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
(a) Because her teacher assigned diary writing as a school project.
(b) As a place to keep secrets from her parents.
(c) As a place to record her childhood.
(d) Because her grandmother encouraged her to do so.
13. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
(a) Being overweight.
(b) Having a disfiguring scar.
(c) Not being pretty.
(d) Not being handsome.
14. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
(a) Honored, proud, and amazed.
(c) Frustrated and nervous.
(d) Honored, but not interested.
15. Why does the class split up their junior year?
(a) The school board is not happy with Gruwell's methods.
(b) Other teachers are saying Gruwell doesn't haven't enough seniority to pick students.
(c) Gruwell may be leaving.
(d) The principal wants to split up the class.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Zlata, what good came from Anne Frank's tragedy?
2. What happens to a student when she runs away with her boyfriend?
3. Why does one student apologize in Diary 50?
4. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
5. What does one student realize after meeting the diversity panelists?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)