|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
(a) Because she sees things in him she does not like.
(b) Because she is becoming interested in another guy.
(c) Because she does not want to see him as often.
(d) Because she can never stab herself over a guy.
2. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
(a) They lose a limb due to infection.
(b) They die.
(c) They become abusive and don't care if they hurt their families.
(d) They are horribly disfigured.
3. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
(a) Boring like the other teachers.
(b) More concerned about her students.
(c) More interesting, like the other teachers.
(d) Less concerned about grades.
4. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) The student is expelled from their old school.
(b) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
(c) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
(d) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
5. What makes Tommy Jefferson, a football player, cry?
(a) His father's death.
(b) Anne Frank's experience.
(c) The death of a friend.
(d) Zlata's experience.
6. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
(a) Her father was dead, but her mother was in Renee's barracks.
(b) Her family was transferred to another camp.
(c) She could be reunited with her family in the crematorium.
(d) Her parents were dead, but her siblings were in Renee's barracks.
7. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
(a) The Oklahoma City bombing.
(b) The trial of the student's brother for murder.
(c) The student's mother's trial for murder.
(d) A trial where the student is a witness.
8. What is the perfect Cinderella story for one student?
(a) To have a boyfriend like John Tu.
(b) To have a date for the prom.
(c) To be prom queen.
(d) To have her father be a dad.
9. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
10. What does Zlata hope the Freedom Writers Diary will do?
(a) Help the families of the Freedom Writers.
(b) Make money so the Freedom Writers can pay for college.
(c) Help the Freedom Writers become successful writers.
(d) Inspire people to write to fight prejudice and to deal with events in a positive way.
11. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
(a) Most teachers do not bother to keep parents informed.
(b) He thinks Tommy is doing well in school.
(c) Teachers doesn't usually call to say Tommy is doing well.
(d) A teacher never calls him before.
12. How does Zlata respond when asked if she is Croatian, Muslim or Serbian?
(a) She says that she is a human being.
(b) She says that she is Croatian.
(c) She says that she is Serbian.
(d) She says that she is Muslim.
13. Why does one student apologize in Diary 50?
(a) Because the student has a fight with a best friend.
(b) Because the student shoplifts.
(c) Because the student is taking crystal meth.
(d) Because the student is an alcoholic.
14. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
(b) Tears clothes that she tries on.
(c) Put lipstick on clothes she tries on.
(d) Meet a friend.
15. According to Zlata, what good came from Anne Frank's tragedy?
(a) Anne is known all around the world.
(b) Anne is responsible for helping to end the war.
(c) Anne's strength remains to lead and inspire.
(d) Anne never knew what happens to her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gruwell throw out her carefully planned lessons in the fall of 1994?
2. What important lesson does one student learn during her freshman year?
3. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
4. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
5. What are Zlata and one of the students both wearing when they meet?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)