|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book relates to the life of a student who lives in an interment camp?
(a) Hoop Dreams.
(b) Farewell to Manzanar.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Durango Street.
2. To what does Gruwell compare the Capulets and Montagues in Romeo and Juliet?
(a) The Black and Hispanic gangs in Long Beach.
(b) The Latino and Asian gangs in Long Beach.
(c) The preppy students and the Asian students.
(d) The Black and Asian gangs in Long Beach.
3. Why does one student apologize in Diary 50?
(a) Because the student shoplifts.
(b) Because the student is an alcoholic.
(c) Because the student has a fight with a best friend.
(d) Because the student is taking crystal meth.
4. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(b) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
(c) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
(d) The Wave and Night.
5. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
(a) Losing a good friend.
(b) Seeing Jews herded into cattle cars.
(c) Finding the body of a little girl with other dead bodies waiting to be burned.
(d) Losing a favorite employee.
6. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
(b) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
(c) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
(d) The student is expelled from their old school.
7. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
(a) After the war began in Bosnia.
(b) Three days before the war ended.
(c) When the war ended.
(d) Before the war in Bosnia began.
8. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
(a) How to get out of the country.
(b) What a bomb sounded like and what it was like to have no home.
(c) How to write diaries.
(d) How to protect themselves.
9. What important lesson does one student learn during her freshman year?
(a) People do change.
(b) That school can be interesting.
(c) How to study.
(d) That Gruwell is an extraordinary teacher.
10. Who are the "Dream Team Moms"?
(a) Mothers of the football players.
(b) Mothers who adopt the class as their kids.
(c) Mothers who bake cookies for teachers.
(d) Mothers of the basketball players.
11. What does a student remember after reading about women being molested in Bosnia?
(a) How her father's friend molested her.
(b) How she was raped.
(c) How her father molested her.
(d) How her uncle molested her.
12. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
(a) Otherwise, history repeats with their children.
(b) Otherwise, they never go to college.
(c) Otherwise, they do not graduate from high school.
(d) Otherwise, they do not live to thirty years of age.
13. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
(a) Less concerned about grades.
(b) More interesting, like the other teachers.
(c) Boring like the other teachers.
(d) More concerned about her students.
14. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
(a) Because the student broke an arm.
(b) Because the student has cystic fibrosis.
(c) Because the student has asthma.
(d) Because the student is overweight.
15. Why does one student have to be out of school for a week or two and miss the beginning of the sophomore year?
(a) He has to have sinus surgery.
(b) The student's mother dies.
(c) He has to be in juvenile hall.
(d) The student's father dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zlata's diary become?
2. How does Zlata respond when asked if she is Croatian, Muslim or Serbian?
3. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
4. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
5. In Diary One, how long does the student give Gruwell before she quits?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)