|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
(a) Being overweight.
(b) Not being handsome.
(c) Having a disfiguring scar.
(d) Not being pretty.
2. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
(a) Otherwise, they do not live to thirty years of age.
(b) Otherwise, they never go to college.
(c) Otherwise, history repeats with their children.
(d) Otherwise, they do not graduate from high school.
3. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
(a) Zlata Filipovic.
(b) Steven Spielberg.
(c) Anne Frank.
(d) Miep Gies.
4. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
(a) Three days before the war ended.
(b) After the war began in Bosnia.
(c) Before the war in Bosnia began.
(d) When the war ended.
5. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
(a) Because she is becoming interested in another guy.
(b) Because she can never stab herself over a guy.
(c) Because she sees things in him she does not like.
(d) Because she does not want to see him as often.
6. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
(a) How to protect themselves.
(b) How to get out of the country.
(c) How to write diaries.
(d) What a bomb sounded like and what it was like to have no home.
7. Why can't a student go to a movie with her best friend?
(a) They don't have any money.
(b) They can't go without an adult chaperone.
(c) Because the friend is white.
(d) The movie is rated R.
8. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
(a) Because her teacher assigned diary writing as a school project.
(b) As a place to keep secrets from her parents.
(c) Because her grandmother encouraged her to do so.
(d) As a place to record her childhood.
9. What happened to one student before emigrating to the United States from Peru?
(a) The student's school was bombed.
(b) The house next door was bombed.
(c) The student was injured in a car bombing.
(d) The student's father was killed.
10. Who is the teacher of the students at Wilson High School?
(a) Elise Gonzalez.
(b) Anne Frank.
(c) Erin Gruwell.
(d) Emilie Gridwell.
11. To what does Gruwell compare the Capulets and Montagues in Romeo and Juliet?
(a) The Black and Asian gangs in Long Beach.
(b) The preppy students and the Asian students.
(c) The Latino and Asian gangs in Long Beach.
(d) The Black and Hispanic gangs in Long Beach.
12. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
(b) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
(c) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
(d) The student is expelled from their old school.
13. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
(a) The principal has new restrictions.
(b) She is not allowed to stay after school.
(c) The school board does not allow field trips.
(d) There is one ordeal after the other from race riots to walkouts.
14. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
(a) Donation jars at stores.
(b) A chili supper.
(c) A basketball tournament.
(d) A bake sale.
15. In Diary Six, how does a student lose many of his friends?
(a) The friends drop out of school.
(b) In an undeclared war.
(c) Because the friends don't want to see the student any more.
(d) The friends are put in juvenile dentention.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one student realize after playing the Peanut Game?
2. How does Zlata respond when asked if she is Croatian, Muslim or Serbian?
3. What does Zlata hope the Freedom Writers Diary will do?
4. What are the students inspired to do after reading the diaries?
5. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)