|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
(a) She cannot find another position.
(b) The teachers beg her to stay at Wilson High.
(c) Other jobs do not pay as well as Wilson High.
(d) She realizes her hypocrisy.
2. What are the only kind of heroes one 15-year-old is familiar with before reading about Anne Frank?
(a) Super heroes in tights.
(b) Civil Rights leaders.
(c) Good teachers.
(d) Gang leaders.
3. Who are the "Dream Team Moms"?
(a) Mothers who adopt the class as their kids.
(b) Mothers who bake cookies for teachers.
(c) Mothers of the football players.
(d) Mothers of the basketball players.
4. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
(a) Whether people are physically hurt or not.
(b) How people deal with what happens in their lives.
(c) Whether family members are there to help.
(d) Whether people endure emotional crises because of what happened.
5. Why does the class split up their junior year?
(a) Gruwell may be leaving.
(b) The principal wants to split up the class.
(c) Other teachers are saying Gruwell doesn't haven't enough seniority to pick students.
(d) The school board is not happy with Gruwell's methods.
6. What secret is "Little Miss Goodie Goodie" hiding?
(a) That she is a closet drinker.
(b) That she killed another student.
(c) That she is doing drugs.
(d) That she is pregnant.
7. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
(a) How to write diaries.
(b) How to get out of the country.
(c) How to protect themselves.
(d) What a bomb sounded like and what it was like to have no home.
8. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
(a) Zlata's parents and her best friend, Mirna.
(b) No one, Zlata goes alone.
(c) Zlata grandparents.
(d) Zlata's teacher.
9. What are the students inspired to do after reading the diaries?
(a) Write a screenplay.
(b) Quit school.
(c) Write their own diaries.
(d) Talk to their parents about improving their lives.
10. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
(a) That the student will never graduate.
(b) That she can tutor the student over the summer.
(c) That the student has to repeat the class next year.
(d) She believes in her.
11. In Diary One, how long does the student give Gruwell before she quits?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One day.
(c) Three days.
(d) A month.
12. After reading Zlata's Diary, what does the class want to do?
(a) Go to Europe.
(b) Invite Zlata to come speak to the class.
(c) Write diaries.
(d) Go see Schindler's List.
13. What book relates to the life of a student who lives in an interment camp?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Durango Street.
(c) Hoop Dreams.
(d) Farewell to Manzanar.
14. What happens to a student's friends a year ago, when the student was a freshman?
(a) Put in prison.
(b) Killed trying to commit a robbery.
(c) Sent to juvenile hall.
(d) Killed in a gang fight.
15. What amazes a student about the bathrooms at the Century City Marriott?
(a) There is an attendant in the bathroom.
(b) The bathrooms have real towels, no trash on the floor, and no stall doors missing.
(c) There is a bathroom for whites and one for other races.
(d) You have to pay a quarter to use the bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Tommy Jefferson, a football player, cry?
2. What does one student realize after meeting the diversity panelists?
3. Why does Gruwell throw out her carefully planned lessons in the fall of 1994?
4. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
5. According to Zlata, what good came from Anne Frank's tragedy?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)