|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
(a) There is one ordeal after the other from race riots to walkouts.
(b) The principal has new restrictions.
(c) The school board does not allow field trips.
(d) She is not allowed to stay after school.
2. What event does Gruwell say puts some teachers at Wilson High over the edge?
(a) When Gruwell's class is invited to meet Spielberg.
(b) When Gruwell's class puts on a play.
(c) When Gruwell's class startes getting good grades.
(d) When Gruwell's class goes to the school board.
3. To what does Gruwell compare the Capulets and Montagues in Romeo and Juliet?
(a) The Latino and Asian gangs in Long Beach.
(b) The preppy students and the Asian students.
(c) The Black and Asian gangs in Long Beach.
(d) The Black and Hispanic gangs in Long Beach.
4. How old is Zlata when she speaks to the students?
5. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
(a) Because she sees things in him she does not like.
(b) Because she can never stab herself over a guy.
(c) Because she is becoming interested in another guy.
(d) Because she does not want to see him as often.
6. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
(a) A basketball tournament.
(b) Donation jars at stores.
(c) A bake sale.
(d) A chili supper.
7. Why does one student apologize in Diary 50?
(a) Because the student is taking crystal meth.
(b) Because the student shoplifts.
(c) Because the student is an alcoholic.
(d) Because the student has a fight with a best friend.
8. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
(a) How people deal with what happens in their lives.
(b) Whether family members are there to help.
(c) Whether people endure emotional crises because of what happened.
(d) Whether people are physically hurt or not.
9. Who is Miep Gies?
(a) A teacher at Wilson High.
(b) The woman who kept Anne Frank alive in the attic.
(c) Director of the Museum of Tolerance.
(d) A friend of Zlata Filipovic.
10. What book relates to the life of a student who lives in an interment camp?
(a) Hoop Dreams.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Durango Street.
(d) Farewell to Manzanar.
11. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
(a) A safe neighborhood near the ocean.
(b) In a gated community.
(c) Near the projects.
(d) Near downtown Los Angeles.
12. Why does one student call the story "The Last Spin" a trip?
(a) The student has never heard of the Montagues and Capulets before.
(b) This student has never before read anything in school that related to everyday life.
(c) It is a very unbelievable story.
(d) It is a very funny story.
13. What does one student realize after meeting the diversity panelists?
(a) That anything is possible.
(b) The student does not have anything in common with the diversity panelists.
(c) That the panelists overcome many hardships.
(d) Other people have difficult lives also.
14. What is so special about the buses students rode in with Zlata and Mirna?
(a) The buses are air conditioned, have televisions, seat lights, and bathrooms.
(b) Each student has their own seat.
(c) They are driven by bus drivers in tuxedoes.
(d) There are no broken windows or torn seats.
15. Why is the student in Diary Three at Wilson?
(a) The student is expelled from their old school.
(b) The student's parents arrange a transfer.
(c) It is either Wilson or boot camp.
(d) Wilson is the closest school to the student's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the diaries written anonymously?
2. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
3. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
4. What does Zlata hope the Freedom Writers Diary will do?
5. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)