|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the perfect Cinderella story for one student?
(a) To have a boyfriend like John Tu.
(b) To be prom queen.
(c) To have a date for the prom.
(d) To have her father be a dad.
2. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
(a) She cannot find another position.
(b) She realizes her hypocrisy.
(c) The teachers beg her to stay at Wilson High.
(d) Other jobs do not pay as well as Wilson High.
3. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
(a) Donation jars at stores.
(b) A chili supper.
(c) A bake sale.
(d) A basketball tournament.
4. According to Zlata, what good came from Anne Frank's tragedy?
(a) Anne is responsible for helping to end the war.
(b) Anne never knew what happens to her family.
(c) Anne's strength remains to lead and inspire.
(d) Anne is known all around the world.
5. What is so special about the buses students rode in with Zlata and Mirna?
(a) They are driven by bus drivers in tuxedoes.
(b) Each student has their own seat.
(c) The buses are air conditioned, have televisions, seat lights, and bathrooms.
(d) There are no broken windows or torn seats.
6. In her thank you letter, what does Zlata tell the students not to forget?
(a) To keep reading about heroes.
(b) The strength and power to do things is in them.
(c) To raise money for Bosnia.
(d) She keeps in touch by writing.
7. In the spring of 1995, who offers to help take the students on a field trip?
(a) John Tu.
(b) The principal.
(c) Other teachers.
(d) Anne Frank.
8. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
(a) More interesting, like the other teachers.
(b) More concerned about her students.
(c) Boring like the other teachers.
(d) Less concerned about grades.
9. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
(a) Room 407.
(b) His church.
(c) At his aunt's house.
(d) Room 203.
10. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) The Wave and Night.
(b) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(c) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
(d) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
11. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
(a) Not being pretty.
(b) Being overweight.
(c) Having a disfiguring scar.
(d) Not being handsome.
12. What important lesson does one student learn during her freshman year?
(a) How to study.
(b) That school can be interesting.
(c) That Gruwell is an extraordinary teacher.
(d) People do change.
13. Why does the class split up their junior year?
(a) The principal wants to split up the class.
(b) Gruwell may be leaving.
(c) Other teachers are saying Gruwell doesn't haven't enough seniority to pick students.
(d) The school board is not happy with Gruwell's methods.
14. How difficult is it for a student at Wilson to buy a gun?
(a) It is as easy as buying bubble gum.
(b) Difficult, because a gun is very expensive.
(c) Very difficult.
(d) It is impossible; no one sells a student a gun.
15. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
(a) Her father was dead, but her mother was in Renee's barracks.
(b) She could be reunited with her family in the crematorium.
(c) Her family was transferred to another camp.
(d) Her parents were dead, but her siblings were in Renee's barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zlata say about Erin Gruwell?
2. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
3. What amazes a student about the bathrooms at the Century City Marriott?
4. What are the only kind of heroes one 15-year-old is familiar with before reading about Anne Frank?
5. What does Zlata hope the Freedom Writers Diary will do?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)