|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
(a) Because the character has a preppy school teacher also.
(b) Because either they, a family member, or a friend has been in jail.
(c) Because they are the same race as the main character.
(d) Because the character dislikes school also.
2. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
(a) The student's mother's trial for murder.
(b) The Oklahoma City bombing.
(c) A trial where the student is a witness.
(d) The trial of the student's brother for murder.
3. How does one student testify at a murder trial?
(a) The student takes the fifth.
(b) The student lies.
(c) The student tells the truth.
(d) The student confesses to the crime.
4. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
(a) As a place to keep secrets from her parents.
(b) Because her teacher assigned diary writing as a school project.
(c) As a place to record her childhood.
(d) Because her grandmother encouraged her to do so.
5. What happens to a student when she runs away with her boyfriend?
(a) She goes to live with a relative far away from the boyfriend.
(b) She is homeschooled for awhile.
(c) Her parents ground her and transfer her to Wilson High.
(d) She is sent to juvenile hall.
6. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
(a) That the student will never graduate.
(b) That the student has to repeat the class next year.
(c) She believes in her.
(d) That she can tutor the student over the summer.
7. After reading Zlata's Diary, what does the class want to do?
(a) Invite Zlata to come speak to the class.
(b) Go see Schindler's List.
(c) Write diaries.
(d) Go to Europe.
8. Why are the diaries written anonymously?
(a) The principal insisted that the students remain anonymous.
(b) The school board says the students have to remain anonymous.
(c) To protect the students and show the universality of their experiences.
(d) The students are embarassed of their writing.
9. Why is Gruwell not allowed to teach Sharaud and his classmates the following year?
(a) She asks to be transferred to a different class.
(b) She does not do a very good job of teaching.
(c) She doesn't have enough seniority.
(d) She is going to a different high school.
10. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
(a) She also works at the Marriott Hotel and Norstroms.
(b) The students and their parents pay.
(c) Gruwell has a trust fund.
(d) Private donors.
11. What makes studying Camelot and King Arthur more interesting for the students?
(a) Making swords.
(b) Dressing up in medieval costumes.
(c) The opportunity to go to the Medieval Times restaurant.
(d) Creating a movie about King Arthur.
12. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
(a) Three days before the war ended.
(b) After the war began in Bosnia.
(c) When the war ended.
(d) Before the war in Bosnia began.
13. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
(a) Near the projects.
(b) In a gated community.
(c) Near downtown Los Angeles.
(d) A safe neighborhood near the ocean.
14. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
(a) She is now able to travel.
(b) She was able to finish school.
(c) She was able to become a famous writer.
(d) She was given some influence in the world.
15. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
(a) Zlata Filipovic.
(b) Miep Gies.
(c) Steven Spielberg.
(d) Anne Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gruwell almost take another job the fall of 1995?
2. What are Zlata and one of the students both wearing when they meet?
3. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
4. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
5. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)