|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Zlata, what good came from Anne Frank's tragedy?
(a) Anne is known all around the world.
(b) Anne's strength remains to lead and inspire.
(c) Anne is responsible for helping to end the war.
(d) Anne never knew what happens to her family.
2. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
(a) Because she can never stab herself over a guy.
(b) Because she sees things in him she does not like.
(c) Because she does not want to see him as often.
(d) Because she is becoming interested in another guy.
3. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
(a) Because either they, a family member, or a friend has been in jail.
(b) Because the character dislikes school also.
(c) Because they are the same race as the main character.
(d) Because the character has a preppy school teacher also.
4. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) The Wave and Night.
(b) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
(c) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(d) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
5. Why is one student not able to play sports, climb gym ropes, swing, or do a pull-up?
(a) Because the student broke an arm.
(b) Because the student is overweight.
(c) Because the student has asthma.
(d) Because the student has cystic fibrosis.
6. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
(a) She is not allowed to stay after school.
(b) There is one ordeal after the other from race riots to walkouts.
(c) The principal has new restrictions.
(d) The school board does not allow field trips.
7. What happens to a student's friends a year ago, when the student was a freshman?
(a) Killed in a gang fight.
(b) Put in prison.
(c) Sent to juvenile hall.
(d) Killed trying to commit a robbery.
8. What does one student say when she compares her father to John Tu?
(a) That Tu gives her more attention in seven minutes than her dad has in seven years.
(b) Tu is taller than her father.
(c) Tu is shorter than her father.
(d) Tu is very rude to her.
9. What is so special about the buses students rode in with Zlata and Mirna?
(a) Each student has their own seat.
(b) They are driven by bus drivers in tuxedoes.
(c) There are no broken windows or torn seats.
(d) The buses are air conditioned, have televisions, seat lights, and bathrooms.
10. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
(a) Zlata grandparents.
(b) Zlata's parents and her best friend, Mirna.
(c) Zlata's teacher.
(d) No one, Zlata goes alone.
11. In Diary Six, how does a student lose many of his friends?
(a) In an undeclared war.
(b) Because the friends don't want to see the student any more.
(c) The friends are put in juvenile dentention.
(d) The friends drop out of school.
12. Who are the "Dream Team Moms"?
(a) Mothers of the basketball players.
(b) Mothers who adopt the class as their kids.
(c) Mothers who bake cookies for teachers.
(d) Mothers of the football players.
13. What are two books mentioned in the forward that the students read in class?
(a) Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, and Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo.
(b) The Great Depression: A Diary and The Adderall Diaries.
(c) The Reagan Diaries and The Heroin Diaries.
(d) The Royal Diaries and I Will Bear Witness.
14. Why are some students not allowed to go to the Medieval Times Restaurant?
(a) Their clothes.
(b) Their attitudes.
(c) They flunk the test.
(d) Their haircuts.
15. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
(a) She was able to become a famous writer.
(b) She was given some influence in the world.
(c) She was able to finish school.
(d) She is now able to travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
2. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
3. What happened to one student before emigrating to the United States from Peru?
4. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
5. What event does Gruwell say puts some teachers at Wilson High over the edge?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)