|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the perfect Cinderella story for one student?
(a) To have a boyfriend like John Tu.
(b) To be prom queen.
(c) To have a date for the prom.
(d) To have her father be a dad.
2. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
(a) To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
(b) The Wave and Night.
(c) Twelve Angry Men and Durango Street.
(d) Durango Street and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl.
3. After reading Zlata's Diary, what does the class want to do?
(a) Write diaries.
(b) Go see Schindler's List.
(c) Go to Europe.
(d) Invite Zlata to come speak to the class.
4. What feelings does Zlata have when asked to write the forward?
(b) Frustrated and nervous.
(c) Honored, proud, and amazed.
(d) Honored, but not interested.
5. What makes Tommy Jefferson, a football player, cry?
(a) His father's death.
(b) Anne Frank's experience.
(c) Zlata's experience.
(d) The death of a friend.
6. Why are some students not allowed to go to the Medieval Times Restaurant?
(a) Their clothes.
(b) Their haircuts.
(c) They flunk the test.
(d) Their attitudes.
7. What does a student compare O.J. Simpson's trial to?
(a) The trial of the student's brother for murder.
(b) The Oklahoma City bombing.
(c) A trial where the student is a witness.
(d) The student's mother's trial for murder.
8. Who is the teacher of the students at Wilson High School?
(a) Emilie Gridwell.
(b) Erin Gruwell.
(c) Elise Gonzalez.
(d) Anne Frank.
9. Why can't a student go to a movie with her best friend?
(a) The movie is rated R.
(b) Because the friend is white.
(c) They don't have any money.
(d) They can't go without an adult chaperone.
10. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
(a) Being overweight.
(b) Having a disfiguring scar.
(c) Not being pretty.
(d) Not being handsome.
11. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
(a) They kill someone.
(b) They deface school property.
(c) They beat someone up.
(d) One student is beaten until bones are broken and another student is humiliated.
12. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
(a) Because her grandmother encouraged her to do so.
(b) Because her teacher assigned diary writing as a school project.
(c) As a place to keep secrets from her parents.
(d) As a place to record her childhood.
13. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
(a) How to write diaries.
(b) How to protect themselves.
(c) How to get out of the country.
(d) What a bomb sounded like and what it was like to have no home.
14. Who is Miep Gies?
(a) The woman who kept Anne Frank alive in the attic.
(b) A friend of Zlata Filipovic.
(c) Director of the Museum of Tolerance.
(d) A teacher at Wilson High.
15. Why can most of the class relate to the main character in the book Durango Street?
(a) Because either they, a family member, or a friend has been in jail.
(b) Because the character has a preppy school teacher also.
(c) Because they are the same race as the main character.
(d) Because the character dislikes school also.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gruwell throw out her carefully planned lessons in the fall of 1994?
2. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
3. What types of students attend Wilson High?
4. Why does one student have to be out of school for a week or two and miss the beginning of the sophomore year?
5. What did Zlata's diary become?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)