|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Diary Six, how does a student lose many of his friends?
(a) The friends are put in juvenile dentention.
(b) In an undeclared war.
(c) The friends drop out of school.
(d) Because the friends don't want to see the student any more.
2. What makes Tommy Jefferson, a football player, cry?
(a) Anne Frank's experience.
(b) Zlata's experience.
(c) The death of a friend.
(d) His father's death.
3. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
(a) Because she does not want to see him as often.
(b) Because she is becoming interested in another guy.
(c) Because she can never stab herself over a guy.
(d) Because she sees things in him she does not like.
4. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
(a) They die.
(b) They become abusive and don't care if they hurt their families.
(c) They are horribly disfigured.
(d) They lose a limb due to infection.
5. What is so special about the buses students rode in with Zlata and Mirna?
(a) There are no broken windows or torn seats.
(b) They are driven by bus drivers in tuxedoes.
(c) Each student has their own seat.
(d) The buses are air conditioned, have televisions, seat lights, and bathrooms.
6. What book relates to the life of a student who lives in an interment camp?
(a) Durango Street.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Farewell to Manzanar.
(d) Hoop Dreams.
7. What are the students inspired to do after reading the diaries?
(a) Talk to their parents about improving their lives.
(b) Write their own diaries.
(c) Write a screenplay.
(d) Quit school.
8. How old is Zlata when she speaks to the students?
9. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
(a) Because her grandmother encouraged her to do so.
(b) As a place to keep secrets from her parents.
(c) Because her teacher assigned diary writing as a school project.
(d) As a place to record her childhood.
10. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
(a) No one, Zlata goes alone.
(b) Zlata grandparents.
(c) Zlata's teacher.
(d) Zlata's parents and her best friend, Mirna.
11. What does one student realize after playing the Peanut Game?
(a) People can't live in harmony because they won't accept each other's skin color or beliefs.
(b) People are different because of their experiences in life.
(c) Grwell makes some very odd comparisons to everyday life.
(d) Gruwell has an interesting way of looking at life.
12. What is a four-letter word not in the students' vocabulary, according to Gruwell their sophomore year?
13. Why is Tommy's father surprised when Gruwell calls him?
(a) He thinks Tommy is doing well in school.
(b) Teachers doesn't usually call to say Tommy is doing well.
(c) A teacher never calls him before.
(d) Most teachers do not bother to keep parents informed.
14. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
(a) A safe neighborhood near the ocean.
(b) In a gated community.
(c) Near downtown Los Angeles.
(d) Near the projects.
15. Why are the diaries written anonymously?
(a) To protect the students and show the universality of their experiences.
(b) The school board says the students have to remain anonymous.
(c) The principal insisted that the students remain anonymous.
(d) The students are embarassed of their writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring of 1995, who offers to help take the students on a field trip?
2. Why does one student apologize in Diary 50?
3. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
4. After reading Zlata's Diary, what does the class want to do?
5. What is Sharaud's goal when he arrives in Gruwell's class?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)