|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to one student before emigrating to the United States from Peru?
(a) The student was injured in a car bombing.
(b) The student's father was killed.
(c) The student's school was bombed.
(d) The house next door was bombed.
2. The beginning of the sophomore year, what does a transfer student wish Gruwell is like?
(a) Boring like the other teachers.
(b) Less concerned about grades.
(c) More concerned about her students.
(d) More interesting, like the other teachers.
3. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
(a) Near the projects.
(b) Near downtown Los Angeles.
(c) In a gated community.
(d) A safe neighborhood near the ocean.
4. What is so special about the buses students rode in with Zlata and Mirna?
(a) There are no broken windows or torn seats.
(b) They are driven by bus drivers in tuxedoes.
(c) Each student has their own seat.
(d) The buses are air conditioned, have televisions, seat lights, and bathrooms.
5. How difficult is it for a student at Wilson to buy a gun?
(a) It is impossible; no one sells a student a gun.
(b) Difficult, because a gun is very expensive.
(c) Very difficult.
(d) It is as easy as buying bubble gum.
6. What important lesson does one student learn during her freshman year?
(a) People do change.
(b) How to study.
(c) That school can be interesting.
(d) That Gruwell is an extraordinary teacher.
7. What secret is "Little Miss Goodie Goodie" hiding?
(a) That she is a closet drinker.
(b) That she is doing drugs.
(c) That she killed another student.
(d) That she is pregnant.
8. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
(a) Meet a friend.
(b) Tears clothes that she tries on.
(c) Put lipstick on clothes she tries on.
9. What does a student remember after reading about women being molested in Bosnia?
(a) How she was raped.
(b) How her father molested her.
(c) How her father's friend molested her.
(d) How her uncle molested her.
10. According to Zlata, what is important about what happens to people?
(a) How people deal with what happens in their lives.
(b) Whether people endure emotional crises because of what happened.
(c) Whether family members are there to help.
(d) Whether people are physically hurt or not.
11. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
(a) Because she can never stab herself over a guy.
(b) Because she does not want to see him as often.
(c) Because she is becoming interested in another guy.
(d) Because she sees things in him she does not like.
12. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
(a) The principal has new restrictions.
(b) She is not allowed to stay after school.
(c) There is one ordeal after the other from race riots to walkouts.
(d) The school board does not allow field trips.
13. Who goes with Zlata to meet the students?
(a) Zlata grandparents.
(b) Zlata's teacher.
(c) No one, Zlata goes alone.
(d) Zlata's parents and her best friend, Mirna.
14. What does Zlata say about Erin Gruwell?
(a) Gruwell should move on to a different high school.
(b) Gruwell is respected and liked by all her fellow teachers.
(c) Gruwell serves as parent, friend, advocate, and teacher.
(d) Gruwell is lucky to have such a talented group of students.
15. Why does Gruwell almost take another job the fall of 1995?
(a) The students' behavior last year.
(b) The apathy of her students.
(c) The attitudes of the principal and school board.
(d) The attitudes of the other teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one student compare in his/her life to the Peanut Game?
2. What are two books about teens in crisis that are read the fall of 1995?
3. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
4. What event caused 168 innocent men, women and children to die?
5. In the fall of 1994, why does one student say s/he does not belong in Gruwell's class?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)