|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Zlata start writing a diary?
(a) As a place to keep secrets from her parents.
(b) As a place to record her childhood.
(c) Because her teacher assigned diary writing as a school project.
(d) Because her grandmother encouraged her to do so.
2. What makes studying Camelot and King Arthur more interesting for the students?
(a) The opportunity to go to the Medieval Times restaurant.
(b) Making swords.
(c) Creating a movie about King Arthur.
(d) Dressing up in medieval costumes.
3. In her thank you letter, what does Zlata tell the students not to forget?
(a) The strength and power to do things is in them.
(b) To keep reading about heroes.
(c) To raise money for Bosnia.
(d) She keeps in touch by writing.
4. Why does one student have to be out of school for a week or two and miss the beginning of the sophomore year?
(a) He has to be in juvenile hall.
(b) He has to have sinus surgery.
(c) The student's father dies.
(d) The student's mother dies.
5. When Renee Firestone, a Holocaust survivor, asked a Gestapo agent if she could see her family again, what did she learn?
(a) Her parents were dead, but her siblings were in Renee's barracks.
(b) Her family was transferred to another camp.
(c) Her father was dead, but her mother was in Renee's barracks.
(d) She could be reunited with her family in the crematorium.
6. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
(a) Near downtown Los Angeles.
(b) In a gated community.
(c) Near the projects.
(d) A safe neighborhood near the ocean.
7. Why can't a student go to a movie with her best friend?
(a) They don't have any money.
(b) Because the friend is white.
(c) They can't go without an adult chaperone.
(d) The movie is rated R.
8. How difficult is it for a student at Wilson to buy a gun?
(a) It is as easy as buying bubble gum.
(b) It is impossible; no one sells a student a gun.
(c) Difficult, because a gun is very expensive.
(d) Very difficult.
9. How does Gruwell get money for new books, guest speakers, and field trips?
(a) She also works at the Marriott Hotel and Norstroms.
(b) Gruwell has a trust fund.
(c) The students and their parents pay.
(d) Private donors.
10. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
(a) Other jobs do not pay as well as Wilson High.
(b) The teachers beg her to stay at Wilson High.
(c) She realizes her hypocrisy.
(d) She cannot find another position.
11. What are Zlata and one of the students both wearing when they meet?
(a) Gap sweatshirts.
(b) Aeropostale Ts.
(c) Doc Martens.
(d) Abercrombie & Fitch jeans.
12. In the fall of 1994, why does one student say s/he does not belong in Gruwell's class?
(a) Because there is a mix up in the schedule.
(b) Because the student is white.
(c) Because the student's test scores are high.
(d) Because the student is Latino.
13. How does Zlata respond when asked if she is Croatian, Muslim or Serbian?
(a) She says that she is a human being.
(b) She says that she is Muslim.
(c) She says that she is Serbian.
(d) She says that she is Croatian.
14. How far do two students go to be accepted into a gang and a sorority?
(a) They beat someone up.
(b) One student is beaten until bones are broken and another student is humiliated.
(c) They kill someone.
(d) They deface school property.
15. Who is the teacher of the students at Wilson High School?
(a) Elise Gonzalez.
(b) Erin Gruwell.
(c) Anne Frank.
(d) Emilie Gridwell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another word for 'odd' according to one of the students?
2. What are the students inspired to do after reading the diaries?
3. According to Zlata, what good came from Anne Frank's tragedy?
4. Why does the class split up their junior year?
5. Who is coming to speak to the class immediately after Gerda Seifer?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)