|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the fathers of the diversity panelist and the student who are sent to internment camps?
(a) They lose a limb due to infection.
(b) They die.
(c) They become abusive and don't care if they hurt their families.
(d) They are horribly disfigured.
2. Why is Gruwell frustrated at the beginning of Spring, 1995 semester?
(a) There is one ordeal after the other from race riots to walkouts.
(b) The school board does not allow field trips.
(c) The principal has new restrictions.
(d) She is not allowed to stay after school.
3. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
(a) Otherwise, history repeats with their children.
(b) Otherwise, they never go to college.
(c) Otherwise, they do not live to thirty years of age.
(d) Otherwise, they do not graduate from high school.
4. What is so special about the buses students rode in with Zlata and Mirna?
(a) There are no broken windows or torn seats.
(b) The buses are air conditioned, have televisions, seat lights, and bathrooms.
(c) Each student has their own seat.
(d) They are driven by bus drivers in tuxedoes.
5. What event caused 168 innocent men, women and children to die?
(a) Oklahoma City bombing.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) An airplane crash.
(d) Race riots.
6. Since war also came to Kosovo, what did almost all young Yugoslavians know?
(a) What a bomb sounded like and what it was like to have no home.
(b) How to write diaries.
(c) How to get out of the country.
(d) How to protect themselves.
7. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
(a) Before the war in Bosnia began.
(b) After the war began in Bosnia.
(c) Three days before the war ended.
(d) When the war ended.
8. After reading Romeo and Juliet, why does a student realize she is not as in love with her boyfriend as she thinks she is?
(a) Because she can never stab herself over a guy.
(b) Because she sees things in him she does not like.
(c) Because she does not want to see him as often.
(d) Because she is becoming interested in another guy.
9. What happens to a student when she runs away with her boyfriend?
(a) Her parents ground her and transfer her to Wilson High.
(b) She is sent to juvenile hall.
(c) She goes to live with a relative far away from the boyfriend.
(d) She is homeschooled for awhile.
10. How does one student testify at a murder trial?
(a) The student confesses to the crime.
(b) The student tells the truth.
(c) The student lies.
(d) The student takes the fifth.
11. What incident made Schindler try to save every Jew he could?
(a) Seeing Jews herded into cattle cars.
(b) Losing a favorite employee.
(c) Losing a good friend.
(d) Finding the body of a little girl with other dead bodies waiting to be burned.
12. Who is the teacher of the students at Wilson High School?
(a) Emilie Gridwell.
(b) Elise Gonzalez.
(c) Erin Gruwell.
(d) Anne Frank.
13. What did Zlata's diary become?
(a) A way to communicate with her friends.
(b) A way to get out of doing schoolwork.
(c) A list of all the atrocities of the war.
(d) A type of therapy to deal with everything that was going on with the war.
14. In Diary One, how long does the student give Gruwell before she quits?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One day.
(c) A month.
(d) Three days.
15. When does Zlata meet the students of Wilson High School?
(a) September, 1998.
(b) March, 1996.
(c) December, 1997.
(d) March, 2006.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret is "Little Miss Goodie Goodie" hiding?
2. In Diary Six, how does a student lose many of his friends?
3. Why does one student call the story "The Last Spin" a trip?
4. Why can't a student go to a movie with her best friend?
5. What good came out of Zlata's bad situation?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)