|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Gruwell compare the Capulets and Montagues in Romeo and Juliet?
(a) The Black and Hispanic gangs in Long Beach.
(b) The Black and Asian gangs in Long Beach.
(c) The Latino and Asian gangs in Long Beach.
(d) The preppy students and the Asian students.
2. What is the perfect Cinderella story for one student?
(a) To be prom queen.
(b) To have a boyfriend like John Tu.
(c) To have her father be a dad.
(d) To have a date for the prom.
3. What does a student remember after reading about women being molested in Bosnia?
(a) How her father's friend molested her.
(b) How she was raped.
(c) How her uncle molested her.
(d) How her father molested her.
4. What is a four-letter word not in the students' vocabulary, according to Gruwell their sophomore year?
5. What does Zlata say about Erin Gruwell?
(a) Gruwell serves as parent, friend, advocate, and teacher.
(b) Gruwell is respected and liked by all her fellow teachers.
(c) Gruwell is lucky to have such a talented group of students.
(d) Gruwell should move on to a different high school.
6. What happens to a student's friends a year ago, when the student was a freshman?
(a) Sent to juvenile hall.
(b) Killed trying to commit a robbery.
(c) Put in prison.
(d) Killed in a gang fight.
7. How do many of the Wilson High Students get to school each day?
(a) They ride bikes.
(b) Their parents drive them.
(c) They walk.
(d) They take 2-3 buses.
8. Why does the class split up their junior year?
(a) Gruwell may be leaving.
(b) The school board is not happy with Gruwell's methods.
(c) The principal wants to split up the class.
(d) Other teachers are saying Gruwell doesn't haven't enough seniority to pick students.
9. In Diary One, how long does the student give Gruwell before she quits?
(a) Three days.
(b) A month.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
10. Why does Zlata believe it is so important for the Freedom Writers to overcome their circumstances?
(a) Otherwise, they do not live to thirty years of age.
(b) Otherwise, history repeats with their children.
(c) Otherwise, they do not graduate from high school.
(d) Otherwise, they never go to college.
11. What does a student who is a "goodie two shoes" do when shopping with her parents?
(a) Put lipstick on clothes she tries on.
(c) Meet a friend.
(d) Tears clothes that she tries on.
12. How do Gruwell and the students raise money for food and medical supplies for Bosnian kids?
(a) Donation jars at stores.
(b) A chili supper.
(c) A bake sale.
(d) A basketball tournament.
13. In Diary Six, how does a student lose many of his friends?
(a) The friends drop out of school.
(b) The friends are put in juvenile dentention.
(c) In an undeclared war.
(d) Because the friends don't want to see the student any more.
14. In what kind of neighborhood is Wilson High School located?
(a) In a gated community.
(b) A safe neighborhood near the ocean.
(c) Near the projects.
(d) Near downtown Los Angeles.
15. What does Gruwell tell the student with a 0.5 GPA?
(a) That the student has to repeat the class next year.
(b) She believes in her.
(c) That the student will never graduate.
(d) That she can tutor the student over the summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does one student have to be out of school for a week or two and miss the beginning of the sophomore year?
2. Why doesn't Gruwell take another teaching job in the fall of 1995?
3. When did Zlata begin writing her diary?
4. In her thank you letter, what does Zlata tell the students not to forget?
5. In the fall of 1995, where is home for a student and his mother who are evicted from their apartment?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)