* The foreward is written by Zlata Filipovic who wrote a diary about her life as a child and teenager during the Bosnian War.
* Filipovic urges the Freedom Writers to continue to write, create, and fight stereotypes.
* She compares her life in Bosnia to the everyday lives of the Freedom Writers.
* Filipovic congratulates the students for breaking the cycle of violence in their lives.
* She congratulates Erin Gruwell, their teacher, for making a difference in the students' lives.
* Filipovic did not, at first, see the parallels between her experiences and the lives of the Freedom Writers.
* Filipovic is a major inspiration to the students on an intellectual and emotional level.
Chapter 1, Freshman Year - Fall 1994
* Erin Gruwell explains how she comes to Wilson High School in Long Beach, California, as a student teacher.
* A caricature of one of the students and the class's ignorance of the holocaust causes...
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)