|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Goolrick do in the early morning the day following his mother's death?
(a) Builds a cabinet.
(b) Leaves town.
(d) Robs a bank.
2. What does the green and blue dress symbolize to Goolrick?
(b) The end of marriage.
(c) Lost perfection.
3. To what does Goolrick compare his time at the hospital?
(a) The first few weeks of college.
(c) The first weeks of grade school.
4. What is wrong with Aunt Dodo?
(a) She is paralyzed.
(b) She is mentally handicapped.
(c) She is deaf.
(d) She is blind.
5. What did Goolrick read to his brother's wife in the church?
(a) The Bible.
(d) Newspaper articles.
6. What does Goolrick do to steady his nerves that evening?
(d) Does drugs.
7. Why did this person survive?
(a) The air conditioning in the room was high enough to slow breathing.
(b) The car died before it reached the cliff.
(c) The air conditioning in the room was high enough to slow heartbeat.
(d) The air conditioning in the room was high enough to congeal the blood.
8. What does Goolrick note about people in comas?
(a) They are not attractive.
(b) They look like they are sleeping.
(c) They talk a lot.
(d) They are attractive.
9. What does Goolrick suffer from?
10. What was mother known for?
(a) Her smile.
(b) Her kindness.
(c) Her wit.
(d) Her artistic ability.
11. What did mother make at the end of month when they were short on money?
(a) Welsh rarebit.
(b) Grilled cheese.
(c) Cabbage soup.
(d) Poached salmon.
12. What does Goolrick do on his thirty-fifth birthday?
(a) He overdoses.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He slits his wrist.
(d) He drives his car off a cliff.
13. What was one of the rules for Goolrick's mother?
(a) She never drank or served rum.
(b) She never drank water.
(c) She never served rabbit.
(d) She never ate meat.
14. Why is Goolrick happy the door is always locked?
(a) It keeps his family from bothering him.
(b) It keeps people out.
(c) It keeps him in.
(d) It feels like a prison.
15. How long did Goolrick spend high, having random anonymous sexual encounters before he was suicidal?
(a) Three years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of their game?
2. What seems surprising to Goolrick about the differences in human beings?
3. What did Goolrick's parents bring with them when they came down for brother's surgery?
4. What did the eighteen year old boy who lived in the neighborhood want that had belonged to Goolrick's father?
5. Who saves Goolrick's life by calling him one night, unexpectedly?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)