|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the other person try suicide?
(a) He slits his wrists and his throat.
(b) She overdosed.
(c) He drove his car off a cliff.
(d) She tried to hang herself.
2. What does Goolrick do in the early morning the day following his mother's death?
(a) Robs a bank.
(b) Leaves town.
(c) Builds a cabinet.
3. What does Goolrick do to steady his nerves that evening?
(b) Does drugs.
4. How does she suggest they win at the game against the other patients?
(a) They should hit from side to side to tire them.
(b) They should tackle the smallest.
(c) They should hit the same side to confuse them.
(d) They should simply to to hit as far as possible.
5. What does Goolrick note men and women had in his childhood?
(a) Cocktails and hairdos.
(b) Cocktails and music.
(c) Drugs and rock and roll.
(d) Hairdos and nice clothing.
6. What does Mother need to stop doing in order to get well?
(a) Using drugs.
(b) Taking aspirin.
7. What is wrong with Aunt Dodo?
(a) She is blind.
(b) She is deaf.
(c) She is paralyzed.
(d) She is mentally handicapped.
8. Why is the psychiatrist in the hospital?
(a) She is an addict.
(b) She is a doctor.
(c) She is violent.
(d) She is suicidal.
9. What did mother often eat for breakfast?
(b) Cottage cheese.
10. What does brother ask about when he finally wakes from his coma?
(a) His daughter.
(b) The Women's Wimbledon.
(c) His parents.
(d) His wife.
11. Why did Goolrick's parents summon him home one Christmas to scream at him?
(a) He went insane.
(b) He flunked out of college.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He wrote a book about the family.
12. To what does Goolrick compare his time at the hospital?
(b) The first weeks of grade school.
(d) The first few weeks of college.
13. Why did Goolrick's mother and father die?
(a) They were in a car accident.
(b) They smoked too much.
(c) They suffered from colitis.
(d) They drank too much.
14. What ruined mother's blue and green striped dress?
(b) A cigarette burn.
(c) A tear.
(d) A stain.
15. What happens when Goolrick's left arm is too damaged to cut?
(a) He starts on the right.
(b) He cuts his legs
(c) He cuts his torso.
(d) He cuts his scalp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the other person's suicide attempt do for Goolrick?
2. What second operation did brother have that could have rendered him "a zombie" according to mother?
3. What did grandfather do in response to Dodo's problem?
4. What primary emotion does Goolrick find himself feeling following his father's death?
5. What caused Goolrick to end his relationship with his male lover?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)