|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Goolrick do on his thirty-fifth birthday?
(a) He slits his wrist.
(b) He overdoses.
(c) He hangs himself.
(d) He drives his car off a cliff.
2. How many hands are in Goolrick's hallucination about suicide?
3. How long did Goolrick spend high, having random anonymous sexual encounters before he was suicidal?
(a) Three years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
4. What does Goolrick note about the young man in the glass room?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is talkative.
(c) He is deep in despair.
(d) He is violent.
5. What seems surprising to Goolrick about the differences in human beings?
(a) They can be so mundane.
(b) They can be so cruel.
(c) They can be so similar.
(d) They can be so vastly different.
6. What did Goolrick's godfather's wife bring to the family following Father's death?
(a) A ham.
(d) A new car.
7. Why is Goolrick a star in the hospital?
(a) He is a movie star.
(b) He is a writer.
(c) His cuts are very deep.
(d) He is handsome.
8. What did each person have to do each morning in the hospital?
(a) Get dressed.
(b) Run a mile.
(c) Take a shower.
(d) Feed the birds.
9. What game were the patients required to play each day?
10. Why did this person survive?
(a) The air conditioning in the room was high enough to slow heartbeat.
(b) The air conditioning in the room was high enough to slow breathing.
(c) The car died before it reached the cliff.
(d) The air conditioning in the room was high enough to congeal the blood.
11. What does Teddy call to inform the family about?
(a) Brother's death.
(b) Mother's illness.
(c) Father's illness.
(d) Sister's house burning down.
12. What did mother make at the end of month when they were short on money?
(a) Poached salmon.
(b) Cabbage soup.
(c) Grilled cheese.
(d) Welsh rarebit.
13. What does Goolrick inadvertently put on his mother's wound?
(c) Icy Hot.
14. What does Mother need to stop doing in order to get well?
(b) Using drugs.
(c) Taking aspirin.
15. At what age did Goolrick begin having suicidal thoughts?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Goolrick do every night when he returns to his apartment in New York?
2. Why did Goolrick's mother and father die?
3. What does Dodo try to get Goolrick to do to her?
4. What does the other person's suicide attempt do for Goolrick?
5. How old was Goolrick's brother when he had an aneurysm?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)