|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Steele say has been the source of many problems?
2. In what did Steele say racism affected his college campus?
3. How does black advancement relate to individual responsibility, as said by Steele?
4. How did Steele say blacks tolerate those who had different views from them of what it meant to be black?
5. After speaking to some of students, what does Steele learn is the true, underlying reason for campus racism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Steele say the black movement affects race relations?
2. Chapter 8 says that blacks use their race in what way?
3. What was the dilemma Steele faced with regard to affirmative action and his children's education?
4. Did Steele say that racial identity throughout the 60's changed? If so, how?
5. How did Steele say the status change of poor blacks affected the status of middle class blacks?
6. Growing up in the middle class, was Steele viewed differently from the way middle class were generally viewed? What term was given to the middle class?
7. What opinion of blacks did Steele pen whites generally have?
8. According to Steele, how do objective correlatives affect blacks?
9. What did Steele's judgment say is blacks' general response to positive opportunities?
10. How does emotional vulnerability affect blacks, in Steele's opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rather than doing away with insecurity, Steele noted many blacks respond to the anti-self mindset with denial. What do they deny? What is an example of something they would say or do to exhibit this denial?
Essay Topic 2
Steele mentioned the struggle for racial power is really a struggle for innocence. How do whites portray this innocence? How do blacks portray this innocence? Give specific examples mentioned in the book. How do the two racial groups believe the acquisition of innocence would benefit their own races?
Essay Topic 3
How did Steele say an inferior complex from discrimination leads to aggression and low self-esteem in blacks? How does this mentally and emotionally affect them? How does this mentally and emotionally affect whites?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)