|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In line with Steele's philosophy, moving away from racial preferences would do what in the black community?
2. What did Steele say has been the source of many problems?
3. What did Steele mention happened to black racial identity throughout the 60's?
4. How does black advancement relate to individual responsibility, as said by Steele?
5. How did the status of poor blacks change, according to Steele's view?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Steele, how do objective correlatives affect blacks?
2. How did Steele say the black movement affects race relations?
3. What is one association that Steele said blacks need to avoid?
4. How did Steele describe enemy-memory and how did he say it affects oppression?
5. Growing up in the middle class, was Steele viewed differently from the way middle class were generally viewed? What term was given to the middle class?
6. Did Steele say that racial identity throughout the 60's changed? If so, how?
7. What are the middle class values that Steele mentioned in Chapter 6?
8. What did Steele say are the two factors that make up white guilt?
9. How did Steele mention affirmative action can be viewed as a barrier to black progress?
10. Chapter 8 says that blacks use their race in what way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a youth, what was Steele's experience with the black power movement? How did it affect the way he thinks today? What are some of the positives and negatives that Steele mentioned about the movement? How did Steele say individualism relates to the collective attitude of the movement?
Essay Topic 2
What is the black power movement? What type of people did Steele say were generally a part of the movement? Did it affect blacks in a positive and / or negative way? How did it affect whites? What about society as a whole? Is the movement still in effect today? If so, in what ways. If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Steele said that integration shock produces a new form of segregation that takes three forms. What are those three forms? Define each form. What did Steele say eradicating these forms of segregation would lead to for blacks?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)