|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steele define 'objective correlative'?
2. How do blacks often perform on campus socially and academically, as per Steele's viewpoint?
3. Chapter 5 said, in terms of race relations, blacks had a choice between two ways to address the issue. What way did the chapter say blacks and whites agreed was best for blacks?
4. Following Steele's philosophy, how many factors make up white guilt?
5. Growing up, Steele was in the middle class and was often viewed as what by poor blacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Steele's mind, what would moving away from racial preference do to the black community with regard to power?
2. What opinion of blacks did Steele pen whites generally have?
3. How did Steele say the status change of poor blacks affected the status of middle class blacks?
4. How does Steele believe affirmative action relates to racism?
5. From Steele's experience, how do blacks from the poor class receive middle class blacks?
6. What did Steele's judgment say is blacks' general response to positive opportunities?
7. How did Steele say whites use 'escapism'?
8. Growing up in the middle class, was Steele viewed differently from the way middle class were generally viewed? What term was given to the middle class?
9. What does Steele think encouraged blacks to start the black movement?
10. How did Steele describe enemy-memory and how did he say it affects oppression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Steele define racial vulnerability? How does it affect the politics, clothing style and dance of blacks? Do blacks generally acknowledge this vulnerability? If so, how? Does racial vulnerability affect the way blacks respond to their problems?
Essay Topic 2
What is the response that Steele notes when he spoke to white students about campus racial tension? What do their responses reveal about their internal feelings of race relations?
Essay Topic 3
Steele said that integration shock produces a new form of segregation that takes three forms. What are those three forms? Define each form. What did Steele say eradicating these forms of segregation would lead to for blacks?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)