|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As per Steele, as a result of the social policy change due to the black power movement, what was the status of race relations?
2. What did Steele say is the purpose of affirmative action?
3. What did Steele say many blacks do with positive opportunities?
4. What is Steele's view of how whites generally respond to positive opportunities?
5. Steele believed that middle class blacks had to maintain how many sides of themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Steele say the status change of poor blacks affected the status of middle class blacks?
2. What does Steele think encouraged blacks to start the black movement?
3. What did Steele say are the two factors that make up white guilt?
4. How does emotional vulnerability affect blacks, in Steele's opinion?
5. What shift did Steele notice on his college campus with regard to ethnic conflict?
6. What are the middle class values that Steele mentioned in Chapter 6?
7. Chapter 8 says that blacks use their race in what way?
8. According to Steele, how do objective correlatives affect blacks?
9. Growing up in the middle class, was Steele viewed differently from the way middle class were generally viewed? What term was given to the middle class?
10. How did Steele say whites use 'escapism'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Steele say about enemy-memory? What is it? How does a defensive attitude result from it? How does it affect the progress of those who practice it?
Essay Topic 2
How did Steele define 'objective correlative'? What racial group did he say is surrounded by 'objective correlatives? What do these correlatives produce? What example did Steele give of 'objective correlatives'? How did this example affect civil rights leadership?
Essay Topic 3
How did Steele say an inferior complex from discrimination leads to aggression and low self-esteem in blacks? How does this mentally and emotionally affect them? How does this mentally and emotionally affect whites?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)