|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Steele's attitude say is true of racial discrimination?
(a) It was necessary in order to keep order in America.
(b) It was a political ploy, but never actually happened in America.
(c) Some blacks claim racial discrimination in situations where it is not true.
(d) It is no longer practiced in America.
2. What is Steele's son's name?
(d) Shelby III.
3. Who was Steele's editor for The Content of Our Character?
(a) Bob Jones.
(b) Tom Smith.
(c) Bill White.
(d) Bill Thomas.
4. What did Steele say about the main problem between races in America?
(a) Problems between races is essential to the stability of a country.
(b) They will easily be resolved with time.
(c) They are not just different in race, but compete in power.
(d) There are no problems between races, it's just a political ploy.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how many of his friends was Steele sipping chardonnay with?
6. Steele said the only way to solve racial problems is to focus on what?
(a) Moral consciousness.
(b) Ethical consciousness.
(c) Racial consciousness.
(d) Sexual consciousness.
7. Steele said that blacks do not know how to do what?
(a) Forgive the racial tensions of the past.
(b) Ignore the racial tensions of the past.
(c) Accept individuals from other races.
(d) Be free.
8. Steele said what of 'black anger'?
(a) It flatters white power.
(b) It is productive to the black race.
(c) It frightens whites.
(d) It changes the stereotypes of the black race.
9. What is Steele often accused of being?
10. On college campuses, blacks many times engage in what type of behavior, in Steele's view?
11. What did Steele say is the driving force when one gives utmost attention to race?
12. What type of self-proclaimed identity did Steele say he developed as a result of feeling of inferior?
13. In terms of 'creating a black identity', what did Steele say is something that blacks engage in?
(b) Compensatory grandiosity.
14. What president did Chapter 1 say Steele agrees with on many issues?
(a) George Bush, Sr.
(b) Ronald Reagan.
(c) Bill Clinton.
(d) Jimmy Carter.
15. Methods of creating a black identity is also known as what, said Steele?
(a) Themes of recomposition.
(b) Themes of recommendations.
(c) Themes of reconciliation.
(d) Themes of recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rather than doing away with racial insecurities, what type of state did Steele say many blacks fall into?
2. In terms of responding to racial insecurity, what did Steele comment blacks do with regard to names for themselves?
3. Steele stated that although some of his life experiences may be different from other races, what is true?
4. When one rejects responsibility, what does Steele say that individual is also rejecting?
5. According to Steele's outlook, what controls how blacks react to their problems?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)