|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Steele, what do blacks many times 'overrate their sense of'?
2. For blacks, what is a method of handling freedom, per Steele's thoughts?
(a) Creating a black American identity.
(b) Acting like it doesn't exist.
(c) Writing and publicly performing songs that promote the freedom.
(d) Believing it exists but blacks are not entitled to it.
3. Complete Steele's statement. 'Race indeed remains a source of white ____.'
4. When someone uses their race to avoid addressing how he / she really feels about something, the person is engaging in what, said Steele?
(a) Racial expression.
5. What nickname did Chapter 4 say some blacks are given when they strive for achievement?
6. It's Steele's belief that what creates a false reality for blacks?
(a) Denying shame.
(b) 'Acting white'.
(c) Affirmation from few whites.
(d) Graduating from college.
7. What does Steele say is the first step to pursuing power?
(a) Violently protesting it.
(b) Convincing oneself that he / she is entitled to it.
(c) Engaging in formal training to make sure he / she can handle the power.
(d) Conquering the victim.
8. In Steele's opinion, why do blacks avoid 'important opportunities'?
(a) They are never in a position to engage in 'important opportunities'.
(b) They do not want to run the risk of failing.
(c) Other races forbid them from doing so.
(d) They do not avoid 'important opportunities'.
9. At the conclusion of the introduction, who did Steele thank?
(a) His agent.
(b) His dog.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His parents.
10. Rather than doing away with racial insecurities, what type of state did Steele say many blacks fall into?
(c) Deep fear.
11. Who was Steele's editor for The Content of Our Character?
(a) Bob Jones.
(b) Bill White.
(c) Bill Thomas.
(d) Tom Smith.
12. How did Steele say blacks should address the methods of creating the black identity?
(a) Avoid them all.
(b) Avoid some and implement others according to what the white race tells them is right.
(c) Implement them all.
(d) Avoid some and implement others according to what they believe is right.
13. What does Steele say is one of the downfalls of the 'black identity'?
(a) It lessens the number of religious institutions.
(b) It does not accept people of other races in social settings.
(c) It does not promote individuality.
(d) It encourages segregation of schools.
14. Steele's view said that vulnerability affects what aspects of black life?
(a) Politics, clothing styles and dance.
(b) Politics ONLY.
(c) Politics and clothing ONLY.
(d) Clothing styles and dance ONLY.
15. Whose independence is said by Steele to be oppressed by the black identity?
(a) Individualistic whites.
(b) Individualistic blacks.
(c) Those who live under the 'white identity'.
(d) All mankind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, which is a method mentioned in Chapter 4 of creating a black identity?
2. In terms of responding to racial insecurity, what did Steele comment blacks do with regard to names for themselves?
3. Steele's daughter's name is which of the following?
4. What type of barrier did Steele say is the most powerful barrier blocking black progress?
5. According to Steele, what two ways do blacks generally handle the feeling of powerlessness?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)