|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Recoloring of Campus Life, Student Racism, Academic Pluralism, and the End of a Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Steele say that many say is the purpose of affirmative action?
(a) Increase discrimination.
(b) Fight against subtle discrimination.
(c) Keep discrimination at its current state.
(d) Prove there never was the issue of discrimination.
2. In how many ways did Steele say shock manifests as segregation?
3. Steele believed that middle class blacks had to maintain how many sides of themselves?
4. In Steele's opinion, in order to be effective, what must white guilt give way to?
(b) Perceived care, but not necessarily genuine.
(c) White guilt must not give way to anything.
(d) Genuine concern.
5. In what way did Steele say 'black innocence affects society and the government?
(a) It doesn't affect society or government.
(b) It only affects the black community and allows it to feel superior.
(c) It requires them to implement change.
(d) It only affects the white community and makes it feel inferior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dealing with doubt does what for blacks, in Steele's estimation?
2. What legislation passed when the black power movement began?
3. What did Steele mention happened to black racial identity throughout the 60's?
4. What topic of discussion did Steele and his friends 'suddenly' bring up?
5. Many blacks have chosen to feel what way, according to Steele?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)