|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Recoloring of Campus Life, Student Racism, Academic Pluralism, and the End of a Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Steele say Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. encouraged blacks to do?
(a) 'Act white'.
(b) Only hang around black people.
(c) Work twice as hard.
(d) Live out the stereotypes placed on them.
2. In Steele's opinion, why do blacks avoid 'important opportunities'?
(a) They are never in a position to engage in 'important opportunities'.
(b) Other races forbid them from doing so.
(c) They do not want to run the risk of failing.
(d) They do not avoid 'important opportunities'.
3. It's Steele's belief that in what types of areas do blacks many times withhold effort?
(a) All areas in life.
(b) Areas where whites do not typically succeed.
(c) Areas where they do not typically succeed.
(d) Areas where they typically succeed.
4. In what state does Steele work?
(a) New York.
5. Chapter 6 says that blacks should not be made to believe that their progress depends on whom?
(a) Their individual selves.
(b) The black group.
(c) The government.
(d) The white group.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Steele, what do blacks many times 'overrate their sense of'?
2. Whose independence is said by Steele to be oppressed by the black identity?
3. It's Steele's belief that what creates a false reality for blacks?
4. As per Steele, as a result of the social policy change due to the black power movement, what was the status of race relations?
5. What legislation passed when the black power movement began?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)