|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, The Memory of Enemies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason for the accusation against Steele in Chapter 2?
(a) Because he is a part of the middle class.
(b) Because he has openly made racial slurs against whites.
(c) Because he has openly made racial slurs against blacks.
(d) Because he cannot articulate his opinions.
2. What did Steele say has been the source of many problems?
(a) Many focus on the goals and means of affirmative action.
(b) Many focus on the goals of affirmative action rather than the means of it.
(c) Many do not focus on the goals or means of affirmative action.
(d) Many focus on the means of affirmative action rather than the goals of it.
3. Steele said the only way to solve racial problems is to focus on what?
(a) Racial consciousness.
(b) Sexual consciousness.
(c) Moral consciousness.
(d) Ethical consciousness.
4. In what did Steele say racism affected his college campus?
(a) It was very apparent between members of different races.
(b) It was only a problem between black students and white faculty.
(c) It was only a problem between white students and black faculty.
(d) Members of the black race were racist against each other due to differing shades of color.
5. How do blacks often perform on campus socially and academically, as per Steele's viewpoint?
(a) Socially and academically, they perform well.
(b) They are socially active but perform poorly academically.
(c) They are socially inactive but perform well academically.
(d) Socially and academically they perform poorly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of self-proclaimed identity did Steele say he developed as a result of feeling of inferior?
2. In what state does Steele work?
3. What does Steele say is the first step to pursuing power?
4. In what type of setting did Steele experience discrimination and therefore the feeling of inferiority?
5. What prompted Steele to begin writing his first book?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)