|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, The Memory of Enemies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When one rejects responsibility, what does Steele say that individual is also rejecting?
(b) A base of power.
(d) A sense of pride.
2. Of the following, which is a method mentioned in Chapter 4 of creating a black identity?
3. According to Chapter 2, many blacks are afraid to do what?
(a) Compete against whites for jobs.
(b) Talk about slavery.
(c) Declare pride for their race.
(d) Expand their lives.
4. What did Steele say is the Supreme Court's stance on racial preferences?
(a) It is moving away from it.
(b) It is continuing to practice it.
(c) It never thought of racial preference as a vital part of society; and therefore never practiced it.
(d) Although it doesn't believe it is a vital part of society, it feels obligated to practice it.
5. Steele said social policies shout not be aimed at what?
(a) Gender preferences.
(b) Racial preferences.
(c) Age preferences.
(d) Religious preferences.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Steele's mind, what undermines the struggles for freedom?
2. What did Steele say has become synonymous with color?
3. Prior to what decade did Steele say middle class blacks often distinguished themselves from poor blacks?
4. According to Chapter 6, what is an important quality of middle class citizens?
5. What did Steele say is the purpose of affirmative action?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)