|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, The Memory of Enemies.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Steele say he noticed on his college campus with regard to ethnic conflict?
(a) There had been a new awareness of it.
(b) It caused him to miss may days of class.
(c) Everyone new it was there, but no one ever talked about it.
(d) Ethnic conflict was never an issue for their campus.
2. In what state does Steele work?
(d) New York.
3. With regard to racial insecurity, blacks prove this by portraying what type of attitude about black pride, according to Steele?
(a) They hate it, but act like they are very fond of it.
(b) They are obsessed with it and make that well-known.
(c) They secretly love it, but act as if they hate it.
(d) They hate it.
4. Chapter 6 says that blacks should not be made to believe that their progress depends on whom?
(a) The white group.
(b) The government.
(c) Their individual selves.
(d) The black group.
5. What did Steele say is the purpose of affirmative action?
(a) Keep discrimination at its current state.
(b) Prove there never was the issue of discrimination.
(c) Increase discrimination.
(d) Decrease discrimination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Steele's view of how whites generally respond to positive opportunities?
2. Methods of creating a black identity is also known as what, said Steele?
3. On college campuses, blacks many times engage in what type of behavior, in Steele's view?
4. In what year did the black power movement begin to rise?
5. What type of shock did Steele say individuals are said to be a part of when in mixed-race situations?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)