|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Recoloring of Campus Life, Student Racism, Academic Pluralism, and the End of a Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the university setting, who did Steele verbalize would not tell blacks what they think of their scholarships and not expect them to perform?
(a) Educators and administrators.
(c) Educators ONLY.
(d) Administrators ONLY.
2. What did Steele say Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. encouraged blacks to do?
(a) Live out the stereotypes placed on them.
(b) Work twice as hard.
(c) 'Act white'.
(d) Only hang around black people.
3. What did Steele say is true of white guilt?
(a) Only descendants of slave owners experience this emotion.
(b) It is openly practiced by all whites.
(c) There is no reason for it.
(d) The exhibition of racial anger by blacks is a factor of white guilt.
4. Not demanding blacks to perform in a university setting is a type of what, as per Steele?
5. Since the black power movement, what did Steele say much of social policy, with respect to blacks, was geared toward?
(a) Increased racist acts against blacks.
(b) Increased racist acts against whites.
(c) Black redemption.
(d) White redemption.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steele define the self-descriptions that justify one's fears?
2. According to Chapter 5, what do whites want to get rid of?
3. Chapter 5 said, in terms of race relations, blacks had a choice between two ways to address the issue. What way did the chapter say blacks and whites agreed was best for blacks?
4. What type of shock did Steele say individuals are said to be a part of when in mixed-race situations?
5. What group of students did Steele penned often feels inferior?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)