|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Recoloring of Campus Life, Student Racism, Academic Pluralism, and the End of a Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What legislation passed when the black power movement began?
(a) Civil Rights Act.
(b) National Banking Act.
(c) Housing and Urban Development Act.
(d) Residence Act.
2. Of the following, what is a factor of white guilt, per Steele's way of thinking?
(a) The fact that statistically, many blacks are uneducated.
(b) The fact that statistically, many blacks are poor.
(c) Just being a member of the white race.
(d) Understanding of ill-gotten advantage.
3. In what did Steele say racism affected his college campus?
(a) It was very apparent between members of different races.
(b) It was only a problem between black students and white faculty.
(c) It was only a problem between white students and black faculty.
(d) Members of the black race were racist against each other due to differing shades of color.
4. According to Chapter 2, many blacks are afraid to do what?
(a) Declare pride for their race.
(b) Expand their lives.
(c) Compete against whites for jobs.
(d) Talk about slavery.
5. According to Steele, when an individual is tired of thinking in racial terms, he / she is said to have which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Emotional vulnerability is a source of what for blacks, according to Steele?
2. When someone uses their race to avoid addressing how he / she really feels about something, the person is engaging in what, said Steele?
3. What do many blacks say Steele has failed to recognize?
4. Following Steele's philosophy, how many factors make up white guilt?
5. What profession did Chapter 2 say Steele worked in?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)