|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, The Recoloring of Campus Life, Student Racism, Academic Pluralism, and the End of a Dream.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When someone uses their race to avoid addressing how he / she really feels about something, the person is engaging in what, said Steele?
(d) Racial expression.
2. In Steele's mind, what undermines the struggles for freedom?
(a) Accepting defeat.
(b) Advancing from being poor to the middle class.
(c) Having Chinese friends, as a black person.
(d) Living in predominantly white neighborhoods.
3. What did Steele say is true of white guilt?
(a) Only descendants of slave owners experience this emotion.
(b) The exhibition of racial anger by blacks is a factor of white guilt.
(c) It is openly practiced by all whites.
(d) There is no reason for it.
4. How does Steele define the self-descriptions that justify one's fears?
5. What do many blacks say Steele has failed to recognize?
(a) Priority of the black race.
(b) Priority of the white race.
(c) Superiority of the white race.
(d) Superiority of the black race.
Short Answer Questions
1. Steele articulated, whites 'discharging their duties to blacks however they can' is known as what?
2. Following Steele's philosophy, how many factors make up white guilt?
3. In what year did the black power movement begin to rise?
4. In addition to the students, who did Steele say is responsible for racial conflicts on campus?
5. What did Steele say has become synonymous with color?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)