|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Patrick Geddes from?
2. What kind of streets does the author of "Of Cooperation in Site Planning, and How Common Enjoyment Benefits the Individual" argue have reduced urban overcrowding?
3. Who does the author of "The Black Underclass" criticize for their fear to confront the issues of the poor black community?
4. Who wrote "Future Directions for Urban Government in Britain and America"?
5. What does the author of "Public Parks and the Enlargement of Towns" write advanced a democratic society, taking pressure off of different classes by giving them an area that they can all enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ebenezer Howard propose for urban developers? Which articles are his?
2. Where does the study take place in "Kinship and Community"? Who conducted it?
3. What picture of the urban poor is depicted in "The Black Underclass"?
4. What would the outer and inner city contain in "Urbanism as a Way of Life"?
5. What does Patrick Geddes describe in "City Survey for Town Planning Purposes, of Municipalities and Government"?
6. What did the authors of "Kinship and Community" find in interviews with the residents? What happened after they relocated?
7. What are Saskia Sassen's views on development? What article discusses this?
8. What does Gerry Stoker define regime theory as in "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
9. What case studies are presented in "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
10. What plans and theories are presented in "A Contemporary City"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Levittown depicted in "Levittown and America" and the vision of Saskia in "A New Geography of Centers and Margins: Summary and Implications." How do the authors differ in their theories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the city models and theories presented by Ian McHarg and Dolores Hayden. How would each of the authors propose to improve urban development?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe John Mollenkopf and the theories and ideas presented in "How to Study Urban Political Power." What are the two groups of researchers described in the article?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)