|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Kinship and Community" and "Keeping Themselves to Themselves"?
2. When was conservative icon Charles Murray born?
3. What did Ebenezer Howard call the central area in his Utopian cities in "Author's Introduction" and "The Town-Country Magnet"?
4. Who wrote "Place and Production in the Global Economy"?
5. In "Future Directions for Urban Government in Britain and America," the author discusses the developments in the U.S. and U.K. for the past how many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis Mumford write about urban development? Which article did he contribute?
2. What ideas do Frank S. So and Judith Getzel present in the anthology?
3. What picture of the urban poor is depicted in "The Black Underclass"?
4. What is detailed in "Broadacre City: A New Community Plan"?
5. What would the outer and inner city contain in "Urbanism as a Way of Life"?
6. What negative aspects of poverty does Oscar Lewis describe?
7. What does Gerry Stoker define regime theory as in "Regime Theory and Urban Politics"?
8. What does Oscar Lewis write about in the anthology? What are his theories?
9. What questions are posed in John Mollenkopf's "How to Study Urban Political Power"?
10. What does John Kasarda concluted in "The Jobs-Skills Mismatch"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe authors Charles Murray and Burton Pike. How did Charles Murray rise to "icon" status? What politics does he represent? How do the authors differ in their vision?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the city models and theories presented by Ian McHarg and Dolores Hayden. How would each of the authors propose to improve urban development?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and define the following terms: discipline, interdisciplinary, urban planning and research, and compartmentalization. How are each of these related in the Introduction and Prologue?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)