|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "What is a City?" first published?
2. In comparing U.S. and U.K. governments in "Future Directions for Urban Government in Britain and America," the author concludes the American system is more what?
3. According to the author of "Public Parks and the Enlargement of Towns," parks combat vice and what?
4. Who wrote "Public Parks and the Enlargement of Towns"?
5. In "How to Study Urban Political Power," the author writes that there have been two groups of researchers studying city politics: the pluralists, and who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Saskia Sassen's views on development? What article discusses this?
2. What picture of the urban poor is depicted in "The Black Underclass"?
3. What is detailed in "Broadacre City: A New Community Plan"?
4. What does Oscar Lewis write about in the anthology? What are his theories?
5. What questions are posed in John Mollenkopf's "How to Study Urban Political Power"?
6. Where does the study take place in "Kinship and Community"? Who conducted it?
7. What plans and theories are presented in "A Contemporary City"?
8. What does Patrick Geddes describe in "City Survey for Town Planning Purposes, of Municipalities and Government"?
9. How does John Mollenkopf define structuralists and pluralists in "How to Study Urban Political Power"?
10. What ideas do Frank S. So and Judith Getzel present in the anthology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss authors Michael Young and Peter Willmott and British area of Bethnal Green. During what period did the authors study the area?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the three models presented by Louis Wirth in "Urbanism as a Way of Life." Which of these models do they most relate to or prefer? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ideas in "Nature in the Metropolis" and "What Would a Non-Sexist City Be Like? Speculations on Housing, Urban Design, and Human Work." How do the goals of these articles relate to one another?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)