|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose "thoughtful prescriptions for urban poverty" are discussed by LeGate in "How to Study Cities"?
2. V. Gordon Childe writes in "The Urban Revolution" that the three revolutions separating the major eras are the urban, the industrial and what?
3. Engels writes that it is what that has crammed the people into squalor in "The Great Towns"?
4. Who introduces urban history in the article "New Perspectives on American History"?
5. Who is the second editor listed in the Introduction from the Editors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many Americans lived in urban areas in 1960, according to Kingsley Davis? How did this change?
2. What led to the publication of "The Design of Spaces"? What does this study entail?
3. What environment does Engels describe in "The Great Towns"? Where does his analysis take place?
4. What city does Pirenne discuss in "Cities and European Civilization"? How does he describe it?
5. In Friedrich Engels' "The Great Towns," how does the author describe the other side of the river? What does he blame for the urban congestion?
6. What type of dwelling and community is described in "Levittown and America"? What does the author conclude?
7. Describe author Kingsley Davis. What works is he most well-known for?
8. How many selections are in The City Reader? How were they chosen, according to Richard LeGates?
9. How does H.D.F. Kitto define "polis" in "The Polis"?
10. How does "The Urbanization of the Human Population" explain urbanization in relation to human development?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the careers and theories of H.D.F. Kitto and Henri Pirenne and the works "The Polis," "City Origins" and "Cities and European Civilization." How do Kitto's and Pirenne's visions differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the changes and developments in urbanization through the Middle Ages as described in "The Urbanization of the Human Population." Who is the author of this work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Levittown depicted in "Levittown and America" and the vision of Saskia in "A New Geography of Centers and Margins: Summary and Implications." How do the authors differ in their theories?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)