|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author excerpted in The City Reader is recognized as an expert in the social science discipline of history, according to "How to Study Cities"?
2. When was "The Growth of the City: An Introduction to a Research Project" first published?
3. When did Friedrich Engels produce The Communist Manifesto with Karl Marx?
4. What city's civilization does V. Gordon Childe describe from 3000-2000 B.C. in "The Urban Revolution"?
5. Who was a Moroccan Berber Islamic scholar and traveller who is known for the account of his travels and excursions called the Rihla?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe author Kingsley Davis. What works is he most well-known for?
2. What metaphor does Christopher Alexander make in "A City is Not a Tree"?
3. What led to the publication of "The Design of Spaces"? What does this study entail?
4. What impact did the feudal system have on production, according to "The Urbanization of the Human Population"? When did production levels change?
5. What is the subject of the essay "The Uses of Sidewalks: Safety"? What assertions does the author claim?
6. What was Davis' conclusion about the patterns of urbanization in "The Urbanization of the Human Population"?
7. What works of W.E.B. Dubois are in the collection? What does Dubois center on in his writing?
8. What type of dwelling and community is described in "Levittown and America"? What does the author conclude?
9. What are examples of "boundaries" as defined by Kevin Lynch? What are nodes?
10. What city is described in John Brinckerhoff Jackson's "The Almost Perfect Town"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and career of Friedrich Engels and his vision of urbanization in "The Great Towns." How did Engels' socialist viewpoint reflect in his vision of urbanization?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the city models and theories presented by Ian McHarg and Dolores Hayden. How would each of the authors propose to improve urban development?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Levittown depicted in "Levittown and America" and the vision of Saskia in "A New Geography of Centers and Margins: Summary and Implications." How do the authors differ in their theories?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)