|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does John Brinckerhoff Jackson describe in "The Almost Perfect Town"?
2. What urban sociologist did extensive field research in Black ghettos of Chicago?
3. When was "The Uses of Sidewalks: Safety" first published?
4. Rather than using the traditional three ages of Stone, Bronze and Iron, V. Gordon Childe writes that development is better seen as occurring in the Paleolithic, Neolithic, urban, and what eras?
5. Who was the author of the essay "The Growth of the City: An Introduction to a Research Project"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many selections are in The City Reader? How were they chosen, according to Richard LeGates?
2. When did Ernest W. Burgess describe the process of expansion through zones? Why did it occur?
3. What was Davis' conclusion about the patterns of urbanization in "The Urbanization of the Human Population"?
4. Henri Pirenne's "City Origins" and "Cities and European Civilization" each discuss cities in slightly different ways. What is the first article in reference to?
5. What is the subject of the essay "The Uses of Sidewalks: Safety"? What assertions does the author claim?
6. How did open spaces become a part of urbanization, according to H.D.F. Kitto? From what culture did they arise?
7. What does Richard LeGates discuss in terms of discipline within academia in the Introduction?
8. What city is described in John Brinckerhoff Jackson's "The Almost Perfect Town"?
9. How is The City Reader structured as an anthology?
10. What works of W.E.B. Dubois are in the collection? What does Dubois center on in his writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Levittown depicted in "Levittown and America" and the vision of Saskia in "A New Geography of Centers and Margins: Summary and Implications." How do the authors differ in their theories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ideas in "Nature in the Metropolis" and "What Would a Non-Sexist City Be Like? Speculations on Housing, Urban Design, and Human Work." How do the goals of these articles relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
Describe authors Lewis Mumford and Louis Wirth. What is Mumford's vision of the urban experience? How does this differ from Louis Wirth's?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)