|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Havilland reveal to McAllister about Sheng Chou Yang?
2. In addition to being the Foreign Service Officer, who is Alexander Conklin?
3. Which of the following is not obtained by Webb during his shopping trip?
4. What does the calligraphy on the green van read?
5. Who is Raymond Havilland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions between Catherine Staples and Marie in Chapter 14.
2. What does Webb learn about the city of Macau from various characters in Chapter 13?
3. What do Webb's actions in Wu Song's warehouse tell the reader?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why does Webb now disagree with his wife, believing that he is indeed a killer?
5. Describe David Webb's distrust of the U.S. government.
6. Summarize the situation in Macau that is revealed to Webb in Chapter 3.
7. Why is it important for Webb to contact the conspirators rather than the other way around?
8. What does Panov discover when he calls the State Department after first learning about Marie's disappearance from David Webb?
9. What is the "big picture" purpose of the assassination in Chapter 1?
10. What does the organization of the assassin's plan tell the reader about the intention of this assassination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Webb and McAllister.
Part 1) How are they alike? How are they different?
Part 2) How is knowledge from books different from knowledge from experience?
Part 3) How did Webb's and McAllister's characters portray this difference?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine Staples and Marie are the only two significant female characters in the novel.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Catherine and Marie. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) List specific events from the book where Catherine and Marie have an impact on others.
Part 3) How do Marie and Catherine affect the plot and tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and explain the significance of one of the action scenes in the novel (e.g., Webb's chasing the impostor to the airfield, Marie's escaping from Yao Ming, etc.)
Part 1) Why did you select this scene, and how did this scene enhance the novel's sense of suspense?
Part 2) What was resolved or made more complicated by the scene?
Part 3) What significance does this scene have for Webb/Bourne?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)