|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does McAllister receive in the opening scene of Chapter 14?
2. After a prostitute hands Webb's note from the Kam-pek casino to a man who Webb then subdues in an alley, who does the man reveal he is to meet the next night?
3. Which of the following helps Webb locate the taipan with whom he is supposed to meet?
4. To where does the cabaret assassin flee?
5. What does the calligraphy on the green van read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe McAllister's state of mind when he leaves Webb in Chapter 3, and why is this important?
2. Describe the interactions between Catherine Staples and Marie in Chapter 14.
3. Describe the character of Alexander Conklin.
4. Describe Webb's state of mind at the end of Chapter 7.
5. Why is the oath of silence is so important to Ambassador Havilland?
6. What does the organization of the assassin's plan tell the reader about the intention of this assassination?
7. What does Panov discover when he calls the State Department after first learning about Marie's disappearance from David Webb?
8. Discuss Webb's preparations for his trip to Hong Kong.
9. What does Webb learn about the city of Macau from various characters in Chapter 13?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why does Webb now disagree with his wife, believing that he is indeed a killer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select two characters that are connected in some way in the novel. Analyze the importance of their relationship with one another and the novel.
Part 1) Which two characters are you planning to discuss, and what is their relationship in the novel? How is this relationship important?
Part 2) What role does each play in the conflict? How do these characters relate with one another?
Part 3) How would the absence of these characters affect the novel?
Essay Topic 2
As the protagonist, David Webb is set up to be the hero of the novel.
Part 1) Provide a definition for the term "hero."
Part 2) Do you feel Webb is a hero? Why or why not? Cite examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Imagery and writing style play a big role in writing suspense novels. Describe examples of imagery you found to be most effective and impressive, and discuss their significance to the novel.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)