|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which hotel does Webb reserve a second room?
2. Which of the following helps Webb locate the taipan with whom he is supposed to meet?
3. For what is "Delta" is a codename?
4. To aid in his cover, from where does Bourne pretend to be when he enters the city of Macau?
5. To serve as a distraction in the cabaret, what action does one customer take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Webb learn from the contact Jiang Yu at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. Why might the CIA and State Department have chosen McAllister as the link to David Webb?
3. Discuss Webb's preparations for his trip to Hong Kong.
4. What might the narrow hallways and inner offices throughout the first two chapters symbolize?
5. How does Webb utilize the Assistant Manager and clerk at the hotel?
6. Why might Webb want to find out about Medusa after his wife first disappears?
7. How does Webb locate the wealthy Asian taipan?
8. Describe David Webb's distrust of the U.S. government.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why does Webb now disagree with his wife, believing that he is indeed a killer?
10. Describe the character of Alexander Conklin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both internal and external conflicts drive this story as Webb seeks his independence from the people controlling him.
Part 1) Describe the internal and external conflicts Webb encounters in this novel.
Part 2) How does Webb attempt to save his independence in this novel?
Part 3) Do you think Webb will every truly be independent? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Catherine Staples and Marie are the only two significant female characters in the novel.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Catherine and Marie. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) List specific events from the book where Catherine and Marie have an impact on others.
Part 3) How do Marie and Catherine affect the plot and tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Character analysis is critical to literary analysis. Conduct a thorough character analysis of the protagonist, David Webb.
Part 1) Describe Webb's physical, emotional, and intellectual traits.
Part 2) How do Webb's traits affect reader interest in the novel?
Part 3) If you could change one character trait about David Webb, what would it be, and why? How would this change affect the outcome of the novel?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)