|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, the United States learns that Sheng is planning something. What is it that Sheng is planning?
2. When on the radio, what does Marie encourage Webb to do?
3. With what does Webb threaten the taipan if he fails to allow Webb to speak with Marie if Webb captures the impostor Bourne?
4. Which of the following helps Webb locate the taipan with whom he is supposed to meet?
5. From what disease does David Webb suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting and mood of Chapter 1.
2. What does Webb learn from the contact Jiang Yu at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. By chapter 12, what events from previous chapters suggest that Marie is a strong and resourceful character?
4. What is the importance of the meeting between Webb and McAllister in Chapter 3?
5. By the end of Chapter 13, how has Webb's character changed from the beginning of the novel?
6. Summarize the situation in Macau that is revealed to Webb in Chapter 3.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why does Webb now disagree with his wife, believing that he is indeed a killer?
8. Why is the oath of silence is so important to Ambassador Havilland?
9. How does Webb utilize the Assistant Manager and clerk at the hotel?
10. Why might the CIA and State Department have chosen McAllister as the link to David Webb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human rights are violated throughout this novel. Discuss your feelings about human rights.
Part 1) Define human rights.
Part 2) Cite examples from this novel where human rights are violated.
Part 3) How do these violations maintain readers' interest and/or drive the novel's conflict? Use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Select two characters that are connected in some way in the novel. Analyze the importance of their relationship with one another and the novel.
Part 1) Which two characters are you planning to discuss, and what is their relationship in the novel? How is this relationship important?
Part 2) What role does each play in the conflict? How do these characters relate with one another?
Part 3) How would the absence of these characters affect the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and explain the significance of one of the action scenes in the novel (e.g., Webb's chasing the impostor to the airfield, Marie's escaping from Yao Ming, etc.)
Part 1) Why did you select this scene, and how did this scene enhance the novel's sense of suspense?
Part 2) What was resolved or made more complicated by the scene?
Part 3) What significance does this scene have for Webb/Bourne?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)