|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Webb meet the third contact in Chapter 13?
2. After Panov calms Webb down, what does the State Department tellPanov?
3. What does Bourne recall as he anticipates attacking the men at the campfire?
4. When speaking with Marie at a football game, how does Webb state he would kill someone like himself?
5. After the attack in the cabaret, who do the police discover is one of the victims?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the narrow hallways and inner offices throughout the first two chapters symbolize?
2. Describe the character of Alexander Conklin.
3. What does Panov discover when he calls the State Department after first learning about Marie's disappearance from David Webb?
4. What does Webb learn about the city of Macau from various characters in Chapter 13?
5. Describe Webb's state of mind when he returns home and finds the ransom note.
6. Why might Webb want to find out about Medusa after his wife first disappears?
7. How does Webb utilize the Assistant Manager and clerk at the hotel?
8. Describe David Webb's distrust of the U.S. government.
9. What clue from Marie's story does McAllister discover from the Treadstone-71 file?
10. What is the "big picture" purpose of the assassination in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character analysis is critical to literary analysis. Conduct a thorough character analysis of the protagonist, David Webb.
Part 1) Describe Webb's physical, emotional, and intellectual traits.
Part 2) How do Webb's traits affect reader interest in the novel?
Part 3) If you could change one character trait about David Webb, what would it be, and why? How would this change affect the outcome of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How and why is Sheng compared to Hitler and other cruel rulers? Compare and contrast Sheng's character with the cruel rulers cited in the story. Which ruler does Sheng resemble most? Cite examples to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Webb and McAllister.
Part 1) How are they alike? How are they different?
Part 2) How is knowledge from books different from knowledge from experience?
Part 3) How did Webb's and McAllister's characters portray this difference?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)