|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Panov calms Webb down, what does the State Department tellPanov?
2. For what purpose is the house in Victoria Peak used?
3. In the arcade, Webb's second call is to whom?
4. Why does Yao Ming claim to have kidnapped Marie?
5. What does Ballantyne reveal to Staples about the story McAllister has told Staples?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Webb locate the wealthy Asian taipan?
2. What does Panov discover when he calls the State Department after first learning about Marie's disappearance from David Webb?
3. Why is the oath of silence is so important to Ambassador Havilland?
4. What does Webb's reaction to receiving Marie's note tell the reader about the couple's relationship?
5. Discuss Webb's preparations for his trip to Hong Kong.
6. What clue from Marie's story does McAllister discover from the Treadstone-71 file?
7. Describe the Frenchman's affiliation with the impostor Bourne.
8. Describe McAllister's state of mind when he leaves Webb in Chapter 3, and why is this important?
9. Describe Webb's state of mind when he returns home and finds the ransom note.
10. By chapter 12, what events from previous chapters suggest that Marie is a strong and resourceful character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it better to trust or be trusted? Develop your response quoting instances from this novel to support your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Marie is a strong character throughout most of the novel. How does the author depict her as strong and influential, while at the same time describing her with traditional feminine characteristics? How would you label Marie?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the debating strategies between Catherine Staples and Raymond Havilland in their discussion as to why Marie has to be turned over to the government.
Part 1) With whom do you agree regarding this argument, and why?
Part 2) Debate one side of this argument from either the viewpoint of Staples or Havilland.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)