|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their meeting in Chapter 2, what does Havilland reveal to McAllster about Jason Bourne?
2. In Chapter 1, during the fire and subsequent chaos in the cabaret, who does the assassin kill?
3. While in the French restaurant on Causeway Bay, about whom does Jiang Yu give Webb details about contacting?
4. With what does Webb threaten the taipan if he fails to allow Webb to speak with Marie if Webb captures the impostor Bourne?
5. In Chapter 1, how does the assassin arrive at the cabaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the change in perspective the reader is shown in McAllister's character in Chapter 35.
2. What does Marie find strange about Staples' behavior as she awaits Catherine's return?
3. What is revealed at the opening of Chapter 11 through the meeting with the large Asian?
4. Describe the setting and mood of Chapter 1.
5. What is the significance of the meeting between Webb, all the men, and Marie at the opening of Chapter 33?
6. How does Webb convince Marie that it must be him to go on the mission to confront Sheng?
7. Why might Webb want to find out about Medusa after his wife first disappears?
8. Describe Webb's state of mind when he returns home and finds the ransom note.
9. What does Webb's reaction to receiving Marie's note tell the reader about the couple's relationship?
10. What is the "big picture" purpose of the assassination in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagery and writing style play a big role in writing suspense novels. Describe examples of imagery you found to be most effective and impressive, and discuss their significance to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Character analysis is critical to literary analysis. Conduct a thorough character analysis of the protagonist, David Webb.
Part 1) Describe Webb's physical, emotional, and intellectual traits.
Part 2) How do Webb's traits affect reader interest in the novel?
Part 3) If you could change one character trait about David Webb, what would it be, and why? How would this change affect the outcome of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and explain the significance of the night of the great blade.
Part 1) What suspense does this scene add to the novel?
Part 2) How is this similar to, or different from, what you would have expected from Sheng?
Part 3) What significance does this scene have for Webb/Bourne?
This section contains 1,904 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)