Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to serving as a "watchdog" for the meeting between McAllister and Havilland in Chapter 2, who is John Reilly?
2. Which statement best describes Webb's limo driver?
3. To what does the term <i>Zhongguo ren<i> refer?
4. In Chapter 2, for which of the following does the CIA believe Beijing will blame the United States?
5. Where does Webb meet the third contact in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Webb use his skills to "arrange" a meeting with the impostor Bourne?
2. Describe McAllister's state of mind when he leaves Webb in Chapter 3, and why is this important?
3. What does Panov discover when he calls the State Department after first learning about Marie's disappearance from David Webb?
4. Why does Webb not kill the impostor Bourne immediately?
5. Why might the CIA and State Department have chosen McAllister as the link to David Webb?
6. Discuss Webb's preparations for his trip to Hong Kong.
7. What can the reader infer about the McAllister character from his actions upon hearing the news of Marie's escape from the hospital?
8. Which Webb/Bourne identity ultimately kills Sheng at the meeting in the clearing?
9. Summarize the interaction between Nelson and Staples at their meeting at the opening of Chapter 17.
10. Do you agree with Marie's thinking that Webb's memories of Burma are healthy?
Describe and explain the significance of one of the action scenes in the novel (e.g., Webb's chasing the impostor to the airfield, Marie's escaping from Yao Ming, etc.)
Part 1) Why did you select this scene, and how did this scene enhance the novel's sense of suspense?
Part 2) What was resolved or made more complicated by the scene?
Part 3) What significance does this scene have for Webb/Bourne?
Is it better to trust or be trusted? Develop your response quoting instances from this novel to support your reasons.
Imagery and writing style play a big role in writing suspense novels. Describe examples of imagery you found to be most effective and impressive, and discuss their significance to the novel.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)