|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is "Delta" is a codename?
2. After the attack in the cabaret, who do the police discover is one of the victims?
3. As Marie realizes the government is behind Webb's recruitment, how does she feel?
4. While at the football game, about what does Webb complain?
5. After a prostitute hands Webb's note from the Kam-pek casino to a man who Webb then subdues in an alley, who does the man reveal he is to meet the next night?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 13, how has Webb's character changed from the beginning of the novel?
2. What clue from Marie's story does McAllister discover from the Treadstone-71 file?
3. What is the "big picture" purpose of the assassination in Chapter 1?
4. What might the narrow hallways and inner offices throughout the first two chapters symbolize?
5. Why is McAllister pleased with Webb's meeting with the supposed taipan, Yao Ming?
6. What is Conklin's and Webb's plan?
7. Do you agree with Marie's thinking that Webb's memories of Burma are healthy?
8. Describe McAllister's state of mind when he leaves Webb in Chapter 3, and why is this important?
9. Describe the setting and mood of Chapter 1.
10. Describe the interactions between Catherine Staples and Marie in Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marie is a strong character throughout most of the novel. How does the author depict her as strong and influential, while at the same time describing her with traditional feminine characteristics? How would you label Marie?
Essay Topic 2
Both internal and external conflicts drive this story as Webb seeks his independence from the people controlling him.
Part 1) Describe the internal and external conflicts Webb encounters in this novel.
Part 2) How does Webb attempt to save his independence in this novel?
Part 3) Do you think Webb will every truly be independent? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Select two characters that are connected in some way in the novel. Analyze the importance of their relationship with one another and the novel.
Part 1) Which two characters are you planning to discuss, and what is their relationship in the novel? How is this relationship important?
Part 2) What role does each play in the conflict? How do these characters relate with one another?
Part 3) How would the absence of these characters affect the novel?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)