|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yao Ming claim to have kidnapped Marie?
2. After he arrives by train in Kowloon, what does Webb discover the impostor Bourne has that matches something old of Webb's?
3. When on the radio, what does Marie encourage Webb to do?
4. Where are the taipan's wife and her lover assassinated?
5. Who does the assassin responsible for the deaths in the cabaret turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting and mood of Chapter 1.
2. Do you agree with Marie's thinking that Webb's memories of Burma are healthy?
3. What clue from Marie's story does McAllister discover from the Treadstone-71 file?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why does Webb now disagree with his wife, believing that he is indeed a killer?
5. Summarize the situation in Macau that is revealed to Webb in Chapter 3.
6. What is the "big picture" purpose of the assassination in Chapter 1?
7. What does Webb learn about the city of Macau from various characters in Chapter 13?
8. What is the importance of the meeting between Webb and McAllister in Chapter 3?
9. Describe the character of Alexander Conklin.
10. Describe the Frenchman's affiliation with the impostor Bourne.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and explain the significance of one of the action scenes in the novel (e.g., Webb's chasing the impostor to the airfield, Marie's escaping from Yao Ming, etc.)
Part 1) Why did you select this scene, and how did this scene enhance the novel's sense of suspense?
Part 2) What was resolved or made more complicated by the scene?
Part 3) What significance does this scene have for Webb/Bourne?
Essay Topic 2
Marie is a strong character throughout most of the novel. How does the author depict her as strong and influential, while at the same time describing her with traditional feminine characteristics? How would you label Marie?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the ways in which communications and technologies have changed in the past 15 years.
Part 1) What role did technology play in this novel?
Part 2) In Webb's life, how did the use of technology affect him and his abilities during his missions?
Part 3) Is technology always a good thing?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)