|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which school accepts Christine?
2. How do the other customers react to Christine's knuckle rapping?
3. Who wins the Most Original prize in the contest?
4. Why do the solicitors change their minds about helping to save the shop?
5. What gift does Christine really want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Gamart's visit to the library in late October.
2. How is Florence being affected by Christine? How is Florence affecting Christine?
3. What are Florence's feelings as she boards the bus?
4. What happens on a the first really cold evening of September? How does this affect the relationship between Florence and Christine?
5. For what reasons does Milo North feel that Florence has not yet placed the novel Lolita in her shop? Are his reasons valid? Support your answer with details.
6. List three suggestions that Mr. Thornton gives Florence.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 6, why does Florence feel that it would be in Christine's best interest to quit her job at the shop? Why does Florence not ask her to leave?
8. Why does Florence offer to help Christine with her studies? Why does Florence decide this is a bad idea?
9. Why is it appropriate that the fields are underwater as Florence leaves Hardborough?
10. Besides offering to help Christine with her exam, how does Florence show concern for Christine in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the presence of the "rapper" throughout the story in the Old House. What is the importance of the poltergeist to the story? Without the spirit's presence, would the story change significantly?
Essay Topic 2
As Florence prepares to open the bookshop is it doomed to fail? Why or why not? What does Florence overlook throughout her entire business experience?
Essay Topic 3
Christine Gipping is given a lot of responsibility for a ten year old when Florence hires her as a shop helper. Discuss the responsibilities which have been entrusted to Christine. Using specific events, what are the results of Christine's authority in the shop?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)