|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alerts Florence to a storm?
2. Why has Florence been invited to the society party?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5, who tells Florence that one of the Gipping girls will be visiting the shop?
4. At the beginning of the story, what does Hardborough lack?
5. What does Mr. Deben say to Florence at the kissing-gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during "ten minutes on a Tuesday morning the the end of March?"
2. What statement does Mr. Keble make that is an insult to Florence Green's intelligence? How does she react?
3. Why are the books arranged to the front of the shelves?
4. Florence Green is facing a major decision about using her inheritance to open the bookshop. What factors must she consider before she decides the action she should take?
5. How do the people in the town use the information about the oyster shed to feel powerful?
6. At the gathering, Is Lord Gosfield vocal about his support for Violet Gamart? Give appropriate details to support your answer.
7. Does Christine take her new job as book shop helper seriously? Give appropriate examples to support your answer.
8. What previous bookseller event does Mr. Brundish disclose in a note to Florence?
9. Names are sometimes symbolic. How is Hardborough, the town's name, used as a symbol?
10. Who is Ivy Welford? How does she interact with Florence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violet Gamart visits the Old House six months after it is opened for business.What are the possible reasons for her waiting so long to stop by? How might these reasons advance her plans to have the Old House closed?
Essay Topic 2
Christine Gipping is given a lot of responsibility for a ten year old when Florence hires her as a shop helper. Discuss the responsibilities which have been entrusted to Christine. Using specific events, what are the results of Christine's authority in the shop?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, after seeing the heron and the eel struggle, Florence Green makes a mental note that both of the creatures seemed as if they had "taken on too much." Compare or contrast her observation with the reality of her experience in the Old House.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)