|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, what does Hardborough lack?
2. In what year did Florence meet her future husband?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5, who is upset about another business opening nearby his own establishment?
4. Who believes that Mrs. Green has the "ability to chance some 'unlikely' things"?
5. How old is the "Old House?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wants to prevent Florence from moving into the Old House and opening a shop? Why?
2. Why is Mr. Gill's letter, in a sense, threatening to Florence?
3. At the gathering, Is Lord Gosfield vocal about his support for Violet Gamart? Give appropriate details to support your answer.
4. Why are the books arranged to the front of the shelves?
5. Why is this meal appropriate for a resident of Hardborough?
6. Who is Ivy Welford? How does she interact with Florence?
7. Why is Florence not hosting a grand opening for The Old House Bookshop?
8. Why is Milo North glad that Florence is visiting him?
9. Does Christine take her new job as book shop helper seriously? Give appropriate examples to support your answer.
10. What does Florence realize at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the story, Florence is trusting of the good in people. Using at least three examples, explore how her misplaced trust has been the undoing of her dream.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, after seeing the heron and the eel struggle, Florence Green makes a mental note that both of the creatures seemed as if they had "taken on too much." Compare or contrast her observation with the reality of her experience in the Old House.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Raven befriends Florence Green throughout the story.
1) Discuss specific events in the story that demonstrate his role as Florence's friend.
2) Do conversations between Florence and Raven affect her actions? Support with details.
3) Is Raven sometimes meddlesome in Florence's affairs? Support with details.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)