|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invented the independent tea room?
2. How will guests salute this flower upon entering the space?
3. Okakura uses this tale to illustrate what?
4. Okakura relates what Taoist tale?
5. What is it important to remember about this art?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is non-symmetry and non-repetition important?
2. Describe the attitude of "Flower Masters" towards flowers.
3. How was the Cult of Flowers developed? What is this cult?
4. Why might it be difficult for Westerners to appreciate Japanese architecture?
5. What is done with these selected flowers?
6. What story does Okakura tell? What is the problem with the instrument in the book?
7. How did Rikyu's life come to an end?
8. What do tea-masters think of life?
9. What is a Sukiya?
10. Do humans deserve flowers, according to the author? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three eras of tea.
Part 1) What are the three main tea eras? Describe each of them and explain how each of them come to be? How are they connected?
Part 2) How does each era reflect the Japanese culture of the time? Does the tea era influence the culture or does the culture influence the tea era? Explain.
Part 3) How does art in America today reflect life? How has American art evolved to be what it is today?
Essay Topic 2
Okakura laments modern art appreciation.
Part 1) Describe modern art appreciation from Okakura's point of view. Why does he lament it? How does it compare to older forms of art appreciation?
Part 2) Do you agree with Okakura? Why or why not? Do you believe that everything was better in the past? Why or why not?
Part 3) What improvements have taken place in modern times? What about modern life do you see as an improvement from the past? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Japanese under Emperor Meiji in the second half of the 19th century were pursuing efforts to modernize.
Part 1) Describe these efforts. Why was modernization important? How did this modernization affect Japanese culture?
Part 2) How does the author feel about modernization in Japan? Why does he feel this way? What does he do regarding modernization? How does this book support his beliefs regarding modernization?
Part 3) How has modernization affected various cultures? Is modernization good? Why or why not? How has modernization affected the U.S.? How has it affected your own community and life? Do you see this as a positive thing? Why or why not?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)