|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A masterpiece viewed in this way becomes what?
2. To truly appreciate art, one must do what?
3. Art masters are _________ for their art lives in those who can appreciate it.
4. Who created the art of flower arrangement?
5. What is the name of the tea room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might it be difficult for Westerners to appreciate Japanese architecture?
2. Describe the inside of a tea room.
3. How did Rikyu's life come to an end?
4. Do humans deserve flowers, according to the author? Explain.
5. Why is the tea room intended to be barren?
6. How are art masters immortal?
7. Who was Rikyu? What problem existed between him and Hideyoshi?
8. How can one truly appreciate art?
9. What do tea-masters think of life?
10. How have tea-masters furthered art in Japan? What else have they influenced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three eras of tea.
Part 1) What are the three main tea eras? Describe each of them and explain how each of them come to be? How are they connected?
Part 2) How does each era reflect the Japanese culture of the time? Does the tea era influence the culture or does the culture influence the tea era? Explain.
Part 3) How does art in America today reflect life? How has American art evolved to be what it is today?
Essay Topic 2
Man has a very long history with flowers.
Part 1) Describe man's long history with flowers. Why might flowers be important to man? How are flowers attractive to man?
Part 2) What is the Cult of Flowers? How does it reflect Japanese culture and philosophy? How is it connected to teaism?
Part 3) Describe the Western use of flowers. Do Westerners have respect for flowers? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Humans have demonstrated that they are unworthy of the flower.
Part 1) How have humans demonstrated this? Is the flower unique to being mistreated by man? Explain.
Part 2) How does the Cult of Flowers try to go against this fact? Do Americans treat flowers with respect? Why or why not?
Part 3) Are humans worthy of anything? Why or why not?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)