|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through consecrated meditation, what can be attained?
2. The Japanese under ______________________in the second half of the 19th century were pursuing efforts to modernize.
3. What is this book considered?
4. Many Japanese treated heirlooms and traditional art as what?
5. What does Taoism say about right and wrong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three main tea eras? How are these eras significant?
2. How does Zennism oppose Buddhism?
3. Describe Okakura's education.
4. Who began modernization in Japan? What did modernization do to Japan, according to the author?
5. What did Fenollosa and Okakura do together? How and why did their travels together end?
6. Who was Lu Wu? What were his beliefs about tea?
7. What are Taoist beliefs? How did this affect the feelings toward authority and laws?
8. Why is there so much fuss about tea?
9. What is said about THE BOOK OF TEA and tea at the end of the chapter?
10. Will the West ever truly understand the East? Why or why not? What stereotypes have formed? Are these stereotypes breaking down? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tea is art and requires a tea master to bring out its "noblest qualities."
Part 1) How is tea art? What are the requirements for something to be a work of art, according to the author? What are tea's noble qualities?
Part 2) How does a tea master bring out the "noblest qualities" in tea? What else is a tea master capable of? How have tea masters helped to shape Japanese culture?
Part 3) What is an American art form? Who has been instrumental in the evolution of this art form?
Essay Topic 2
Man has a very long history with flowers.
Part 1) Describe man's long history with flowers. Why might flowers be important to man? How are flowers attractive to man?
Part 2) What is the Cult of Flowers? How does it reflect Japanese culture and philosophy? How is it connected to teaism?
Part 3) Describe the Western use of flowers. Do Westerners have respect for flowers? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Stereotypes exist for both the West and the East.
Part 1) Describe stereotypes of each. How have these stereotypes come about? How do they affect the relationships between the East and the West?
Part 2) What does the writing of this book reveal about the stereotypes between the East and the West? What does this reveal about the author's feelings towards the West?
Part 3) What stereotypes exist in your own community? How do these stereotypes come about? How do they affect relationships between various groups in your community? How do these stereotypes affect you?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)