|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many did not accept efforts of modernization. There are several _________________________ documented from this time period, and many more scholars and others who attempted to preserve the old culture resisted modernization.
2. What does Zennism mean?
3. What is paramount to the state?
4. Lu Wu could be considered what?
5. The Boiled Tea era used tea as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Whipped Tea era and the Boiled Tea era different?
2. Who was Lu Wu? What were his beliefs about tea?
3. What is the history of Taoism and tea?
4. Who began modernization in Japan? What did modernization do to Japan, according to the author?
5. Is it appropriate for Westerners to learn tea's origin and how it is used elsewhere? Why or why not?
6. Describe Okakura's education.
7. What are Taoist beliefs? How did this affect the feelings toward authority and laws?
8. When did tea first arrive in the Western world? Who brought it?
9. What did the two men do once they parted ways?
10. Why is there so much fuss about tea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stereotypes exist for both the West and the East.
Part 1) Describe stereotypes of each. How have these stereotypes come about? How do they affect the relationships between the East and the West?
Part 2) What does the writing of this book reveal about the stereotypes between the East and the West? What does this reveal about the author's feelings towards the West?
Part 3) What stereotypes exist in your own community? How do these stereotypes come about? How do they affect relationships between various groups in your community? How do these stereotypes affect you?
Essay Topic 2
Tea masters have done much for Japanese culture.
Part 1) What have tea masters done for Japanese culture? How has this influence come about?
Part 2) What influence has Japanese culture, and essentially the tea master, had on Western culture? How has Western culture also influenced Eastern culture? Is this blending of cultures good? Why or why not?
Part 3) Who influences the culture in the U.S.? How are U.S. citizens, and the West as a whole, affected by this influence?
Essay Topic 3
The tea room, or Sukiya, is a simple cottage.
Part 1) Give a full description of a tea room, or Sukiya. What has influenced the design of a Sukiya? How has the Sukiya evolved over time? Why?
Part 2) Describe the Japanese tea ceremony. How are the design of the tea room and the service that takes place within connected?
Part 3) What structures exist in our culture that serve some sort of religious or ritualistic purpose? How is the ritual tied to the design of the structure?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)