|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okakura was born in 1862 to whom?
2. He studied under a Harvard-educated American, Ernest Fenollosa, who was instrumental in _________________ Westernization in Japan.
3. It is unfortunate that Taoism and Zennism, which are so intimately linked to Teaism, have had no very good translations for who to digest properly?
4. Tea was known in China since when?
5. It is said that a man named Kwanyin presented to his master Lao Tzu tea in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three distinct sides of Okakura?
2. What is said about THE BOOK OF TEA and tea at the end of the chapter?
3. What is teaism?
4. For what is tea known?
5. What is the chief contribution of Taoism to Asiatic life? Describe this.
6. Will the West ever truly understand the East? Why or why not? What stereotypes have formed? Are these stereotypes breaking down? Why or why not?
7. How are the Whipped Tea era and the Boiled Tea era different?
8. Did all Japanese accept modern, Western attitudes and behaviors? How do you know this?
9. What was the opinion of tea?
10. How does Zennism oppose Buddhism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Okakura relates the Taoist tale of the Harp.
Part 1) Describe this tale. Why does Okakura relate this tale? How is it tied to Japanese culture? What does it reinforce?
Part 2) Describe a Western tale. What does it reveal about Western culture? How do the Eastern and Western tales compare?
Part 3) How do these tales illustrate the differences in Eastern and Western culture and thinking? How might they aid in building relations between the East and the West?
Essay Topic 2
Stereotypes exist for both the West and the East.
Part 1) Describe stereotypes of each. How have these stereotypes come about? How do they affect the relationships between the East and the West?
Part 2) What does the writing of this book reveal about the stereotypes between the East and the West? What does this reveal about the author's feelings towards the West?
Part 3) What stereotypes exist in your own community? How do these stereotypes come about? How do they affect relationships between various groups in your community? How do these stereotypes affect you?
Essay Topic 3
Taoism and tea are connected.
Part 1) What is Taoism? How is Taoism connected to tea? How have they each influenced the other? What else is connected to tea?
Part 2) How have tea rooms and tea ceremonies been influenced by various philosophies and religions? How is this influence seen even in Western tea culture?
Part 3) How is religion and philosophy tied to American culture? How important is religion to our country's past, present, and future?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)