|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the flower withers?
(a) The plant is thrown into the water.
(b) The plant is thrown away.
(c) The plant is carefully buried.
(d) The plant is burned.
2. What are the invention of tea masters?
(a) Many dishes.
(b) Many silk flowers.
(c) Many other art forms.
(d) Many tea cups.
3. He gave his precious utensils out to guests, shattered the tea bowl into fragments, and then took his own life by doing what?
(a) Drinking poison.
(b) Jumping into the sea.
(c) Stabbing himself in the stomach.
(d) Shooting himself in the head.
4. Flowers and trees are selected how?
(a) Very hastily.
(b) Very quickly.
(c) Very carefully.
(d) Very slowly.
5. Of what did he sing?
(a) Nature, beauty, war, and many other aspects of life.
(b) Love and war.
(d) Peace and harmony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invented the independent tea room?
2. The guests must hunch down to enter the ______________ door.
3. Many things were all consciously ______________, especially during the tea ceremony.
4. The art of flower arrangement began with whom?
5. Flowers selected in this manner are placed on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Okakura illustrate this attitude towards life?
2. How have tea-masters furthered art in Japan? What else have they influenced?
3. How can one truly appreciate art?
4. What is a Sukiya?
5. How was the Cult of Flowers developed? What is this cult?
6. What is done with these selected flowers?
7. Who is Pai Ya? What does he do with the instrument?
8. Do humans deserve flowers, according to the author? Explain.
9. What do tea-masters think of life?
10. Describe the inside of a tea room.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)