|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Okakura could be brilliant but also ________________; visionary but suffering from cultural myopia, arrogant and pedantic but sentimental.
2. This imagery is reflected in many arts, such as the martial art of ____________ which emphasizes absorbing the enemy's blows in order to exhaust him.
3. What has been beneficial to this "religion of aestheticism?"
(a) Japan's connection with China.
(b) Japan's isolation.
(c) Japan's influence on the continent.
(d) Japan's Buddhist beliefs.
4. Taoism emphasizes what?
(a) Unity and balance.
(b) Simplicity and peace.
(c) Wholeness and totality.
(d) Love and kindness.
5. What do Taoists think about organized religion?
(a) It should be required.
(b) It should be made suspect.
(c) It should be law.
(d) It should be respected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What represents a harmonious synthesis of these personalities?
2. What is another side?
3. In what century was a man named Lu Wu born?
4. Fenollosa left to curate what museum?
5. Who has developed a whole host of bizarre and incorrect stereotypes for Asians?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Whipped Tea era and the Boiled Tea era different?
2. When did tea first arrive in the Western world? Who brought it?
3. How does Zennism oppose Buddhism?
4. What is the history of Taoism and tea?
5. What did Fenollosa and Okakura do together? How and why did their travels together end?
6. Who began modernization in Japan? What did modernization do to Japan, according to the author?
7. What did the two men do once they parted ways?
8. Who was Lu Wu? What were his beliefs about tea?
9. What is the chief contribution of Taoism to Asiatic life? Describe this.
10. What is said about THE BOOK OF TEA and tea at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)