|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Are stereotypes breaking down with modernization?
(a) Only at first.
(b) Only slightly.
2. What is one of these sides?
(a) The great student.
(b) The great painter.
(c) The great artisan.
(d) The great scholar.
3. When was this power of tea shown?
(a) By the late-1500s.
(b) By the late-1600s.
(c) By the late-1700s.
(d) By the late-1400s.
4. What is the word for the "religion of aestheticism," which has grown up around tea in Japanese culture?
5. Tao, translated literally, means what?
(a) A Light.
(b) A Path.
(c) A Peace.
(d) A God.
6. Fenollosa left to curate what museum?
(a) The Boston Museum.
(b) The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
(c) The Guggenheim.
(d) The MoMa.
7. Taoism emphasizes what?
(a) Love and kindness.
(b) Wholeness and totality.
(c) Simplicity and peace.
(d) Unity and balance.
8. ____________ and tea are connected in legend.
9. Tea requires who to bring out its "noblest qualities?"
(a) A tea chef.
(b) A tea artist.
(c) A tea master.
(d) A tea leader.
10. Taoism and its successor, _____________, represent an individualistic trend in Southern Chinese thought.
11. With what is Taoism is mostly concerned?
(a) "Personal change" and what takes place in the self.
(b) "Conformity of the group" and unity within a community.
(c) "Earthly change" and spiritual growth.
(d) "Cosmic change" and the infinite nature of the universe.
12. This imagery is reflected in many arts, such as the martial art of ____________ which emphasizes absorbing the enemy's blows in order to exhaust him.
13. Lao Tzu's famous metaphor for this train of thought is what?
(a) The vacuum.
(c) The hole.
(d) The dance.
14. Lu Wu, in this book, describes what aspects of tea?
15. Many did not accept efforts of modernization. There are several _________________________ documented from this time period, and many more scholars and others who attempted to preserve the old culture resisted modernization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Would the state fund Okakura's school?
2. Emperor Huei Tsung lavished much wealth on the attainment of rare species of tea, and declared which tea to be the most rare and best?
3. Is there a mechanical method for making tea?
4. The person in #60 combined teaism with Confucianism, Taoism, and what other religion?
5. Okakura again emphasizes that tea can do what for a culture?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)