Short Answer Key
1. The Japanese under ______________________in the second half of the 19th century were pursuing efforts to modernize.
2. Modernization came with a price, namely, the destruction of what?
The 'old' or traditional way of Japanese living.
3. Many did not accept efforts of modernization. There are several _________________________ documented from this time period, and many more scholars and others who attempted to preserve the old culture resisted modernization.
4. Okakura was born in 1862 to whom?
A silk merchant.
5. He studied at an English-language university, and was fluent in what three languages?
Chinese, English, and Japanese.
6. He studied under a Harvard-educated American, Ernest Fenollosa, who was instrumental in _________________ Westernization in Japan.
7. Many Japanese treated heirlooms and traditional art as what?
Little more than junk.
8. Fenollosa and Okakura went around Asia, doing what?
Finding art and other...
This section contains 2,230 words|
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)