1. The Japanese under ______________________in the second half of the 19th century were pursuing efforts to modernize.
2. Modernization came with a price, namely, the destruction of what?
The 'old' or traditional way of Japanese living.
3. Many did not accept efforts of modernization. There are several _________________________ documented from this time period, and many more scholars and others who attempted to preserve the old culture resisted modernization.
4. Okakura was born in 1862 to whom?
A silk merchant.
5. He studied at an English-language university, and was fluent in what three languages?
Chinese, English, and Japanese.
This section contains 3,790 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)