1. The Japanese under ______________________in the second half of the 19th century were pursuing efforts to modernize.
(a) Emperor Itoku.
(b) Emperor Meiji.
(c) Emperor Suizei.
(d) Emperor Jimmu.
2. Modernization came with a price, namely, the destruction of what?
(a) The 'old' or traditional way of Japanese living.
(b) The health of the Japanese people.
(c) The welfare system in Japan.
(d) The power of the empire.
3. Many did not accept efforts of modernization. There are several _________________________ documented from this time period, and many more scholars and others who attempted to preserve the old culture resisted modernization.
4. Okakura was born in 1862 to whom?
(a) A factory worker.
(b) A professor.
(c) A potter.
(d) A silk merchant.
5. He studied at an English-language university, and was fluent in what three languages?
(a) English, French, and Japanese.
(b) Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
(c) Chinese, French, and Japanese.
(d) Chinese, English, and Japanese.
This section contains 3,790 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)