|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of mistake does Crimond tell Jean he wants to avoid?
2. Which two characters have agreed to marry?
3. What does Tamar say she feels responsible for doing?
4. What does Gulliver do with the snail he finds in the trains?
5. Whose sister recognizes Gerard in the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have Duncan and Jean promised each other they will try to achieve?
2. Why is Jean happy Duncan has been unfaithful to her?
3. Why does Tamar decide to reconcile with her mother?
4. Why does Gerard vow to take care of Rose?
5. How has Christianity helped Tamar?
6. What do Rose and Gerard regret when they leave each other?
7. How has Duncan's character changed?
8. What are Jean and Duncan keeping from each other?
9. What news does Duncan hear from Crimond?
10. How does Jenkin die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote the Book and the Brotherhood in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)