|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have agreed to marry?
2. Where has Gerard just left when he rings Jenkin at lunchtime?
3. Who are experiencing problems with their relationship?
4. What member of Lily's family does she say possessed a power over snails?
5. What are the color of Crimond's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Christianity helped Tamar?
2. What does Crimond's treatment of Jean and his proposal to Rose say about his character?
3. What do Rose and Gerard regret when they leave each other?
4. How does Tamar confront her mother?
5. What news does Duncan hear from Crimond?
6. Why is Jean happy Duncan has been unfaithful to her?
7. What do Rose and Gerard think about past events?
8. What is Crimond's real reason for challenging Duncan to a game of Russian Roulette?
9. What are Jean and Duncan keeping from each other?
10. What news does Jean hear about Duncan from Tamar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings.
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1980s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the novel express the changes Britain was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1980s Britain?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)