|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gerard visit to talk about past events?
2. What kind of game does Crimond propose him and Duncan play?
3. Who does Crimond write a short note to?
4. Where has Gerard just left when he rings Jenkin at lunchtime?
5. Where does Gerard want go on holiday with Jenkin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jenkin die?
2. In what way is Jean and Duncan's marriage doomed?
3. What is Crimond's real reason for challenging Duncan to a game of Russian Roulette?
4. What do Rose and Gerard regret when they leave each other?
5. What do Gerard and Rose say about Crimond's book?
6. What news does Duncan hear from Crimond?
7. Why are Duncan and Jean finding life together difficult?
8. What does Lily confide in Rose about snails?
9. What news does Jean hear about Duncan from Tamar?
10. How has Duncan's character changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against Marxism? What are Murdoch's opinions on Marxism and how does she express them? Do you agree or disagree with Murdoch?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Crimond's life as a writer affects one of the following areas in his life:
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)