|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gulliver think he has come to rely on Lily for?
2. What does Crimond propose to Rose?
3. What city do Jean and Duncan live in?
4. What problem do Rose and Gerard try to solve?
5. Where does Jenkin say he is going on holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jean happy Duncan has been unfaithful to her?
2. How does Duncan react to Jenkin's death?
3. In what way is Jean and Duncan's marriage doomed?
4. Why does Rose refuse to marry Crimond?
5. How has Christianity helped Tamar?
6. Why are Duncan and Jean finding life together difficult?
7. What news does Duncan hear from Crimond?
8. How does Jenkin die?
9. What does Crimond's treatment of Jean and his proposal to Rose say about his character?
10. Why does Gerard vow to take care of Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Crimonds's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end:
1. What did Crimond hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Crimond's ideas about life?
3. How has Crimond's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against Marxism? What are Murdoch's opinions on Marxism and how does she express them? Do you agree or disagree with Murdoch?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)