|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Gulliver complete his degree?
2. What subject does Jenkin teach?
3. What kind of course did Violet do to get a better job?
4. What did Tamar suffer from when she was 16?
5. Who is the first speaker at the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jean and Crimond's relationship affecting Duncan?
2. What does Tamar confess to Jenkin?
3. What happens at Lily's house when first Tamar and then Gulliver visits her?
4. Why are Jenkin and Gerard worried for Jean's safety?
5. Why are the group worried about Jean?
6. What is the matter with Tamar at the reading party?
7. Why does Crimond and Jean's plan go wrong?
8. Why do the group decide to support Crimond?
9. What does Gerard propose to Jenkin when Jenkin tells him Crimond has finished his book?
10. Why is Crimond suspicious of Tamar when she visits Jean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against Marxism? What are Murdoch's opinions on Marxism and how does she express them? Do you agree or disagree with Murdoch?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Murdoch develop her story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)