|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gulliver detest Crimond?
2. What does Crimond say Tamar came as?
3. What was the name of Sinclair's dog?
4. Who does Gerard think of as his enemy?
5. Who does Jean promise Crimond she won't see again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jean decide to leave Duncan for the second time?
2. What does Gerard propose to Jenkin when Jenkin tells him Crimond has finished his book?
3. What is Gulliver and Lily's relationship at the beginning?
4. Why is Crimond suspicious of Tamar when she visits Jean?
5. How do Duncan and Jean reconcile?
6. How is Jean and Crimond's relationship affecting Duncan?
7. Why are the group worried about Jean?
8. How does Crimond respond to Jean's impassioned speech?
9. What happens in the meeting between the brotherhood and Crimond?
10. Why is Jean worried for Crimond when he finishes his book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid-1980s British society:
1. Teenage pregnancy.
2. The need to find the right person.
3. Losing sight of one's beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1980s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the novel express the changes Britain was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1980s Britain?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)