|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rose say Jean once stood on her head in?
2. What is Crimond writing about?
3. Who does Crimond think sent Tamar?
4. What does Crimond say Tamar came as?
5. Who is the first speaker at the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crimond respond to Jean's impassioned speech?
2. How do Crimond and Jean plan to kill themselves?
3. What happens in the meeting between the brotherhood and Crimond?
4. Why is Crimond suspicious of Tamar when she visits Jean?
5. How is Jean and Crimond's relationship affecting Duncan?
6. What is Gulliver and Lily's relationship at the beginning?
7. How does Rose help Jean when she arrives at her house injured?
8. How do Duncan and Jean reconcile?
9. What does Gerard and Crimond discuss during their meeting about Crimond's book?
10. Why does Tamar finally agree to give up her studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Crimond's life as a writer affects one of the following areas in his life:
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Marxist's life:
1) What are Marxists and how do they view life?
2) What influence have Marxists had on popular culture?
3) How does the author express both the negative and positive aspects of Marxism in the novel?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)