|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean tell Tamar she must learn to do?
2. Who does Crimond think sent Tamar?
3. What kind of books does Rose say Gerard recommends?
4. What does Jean say she is living upon while she is with Crimond?
5. What does Rose say Crimond wants to destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gerard propose to Jenkin when Jenkin tells him Crimond has finished his book?
2. Why does Jean decide to leave Duncan for the second time?
3. Why are Jenkin and Gerard worried for Jean's safety?
4. What does Crimond want to do now he has completed his book?
5. How does Crimond respond to Jean's impassioned speech?
6. Why are the group worried about Jean?
7. Why does Violet want Tamar to give up her studies?
8. What happens in the meeting between the brotherhood and Crimond?
9. What does Gerard and Crimond discuss during their meeting about Crimond's book?
10. Why does Crimond and Jean's plan go wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid-1980s British society:
1. Teenage pregnancy.
2. The need to find the right person.
3. Losing sight of one's beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Duncan and Crimond:
1. What is their relationship to each other?
2. How are their ideas different?
3. How do their differences in opinion prove to be destructive?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)