|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Theft" why did the thief enter the main character's apartment?
(a) To have breakfast.
(b) To check the radiator.
(c) To clean.
(d) To visit.
2. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin,", how old is Richard?
3. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," why is the mother nervous to see the father?
(a) She has not told him of the death.
(b) She doesn't like him.
(c) She no longer loves him.
(d) She is always nervous.
4. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what color is the guitar?
5. In "The Other Woman" what is about to happen in the storyteller's life?
(a) He will attend a funeral.
(b) He will soon be married.
(c) He will become a priest.
(d) He will soon be divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "My Dead Brother Comes to America"?
2. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what happens to Richard?
3. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what has the father gotten for all the children?
4. In "The Hitch-Hikers" where does Tom Harris take the men?
5. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the family do after they are all in the new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," do you think the main character is mentally ill? Why?
2. How do you perceive the fiancee in "The Other Woman"?
3. In "The Country Husband" how does Julia make herself happy?
4. In "Wild Plums" why did the young girl want to pick plums?
5. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the father do to show he cares for his family?
6. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what does the wife do to hurt her husband?
7. When "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin" and "The Country Husband" were first published, how controversial was the subject matter?
8. In "That In Aleppo Once..." who is V.?
9. In "My Dead Brother comes to America," why do the authorities hesitate to let the family off the ship?
10. Why do you think the murderers in "The Killers" belittle the restaurant patrons and take them hostage? Was this necessary?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)