|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Theft" what is the main character doing when the thief enters her apartment?
(b) Talking on the telephone.
(c) Taking a bath.
2. In "The Country Husband" what event happens at the beginning of the story?
(a) Someone dies.
(b) Two people get married.
(c) A plane crashes.
(d) A house burns down.
3. In "That in Aleppo Once..." whom does the narrator find on the boat?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The grocer.
(c) His wife.
(d) His dog.
4. In "Theft" what is stolen?
(a) A watch.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A purse.
5. In "The Hitch-Hikers" who receives the guitar in the end?
(a) The motel owner.
(c) A little black boy.
(d) Tom Harris.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," why is the mother nervous to see the father?
2. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what happens to Richard?
3. In "Theft" what does the main character try to give the thief?
4. In "The Other Woman," in front of whom does the storyteller cry?
5. In "The Other Woman" the storyteller receives a letter from his fiancee. What does the letter say?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin" a story about coming of age?
2. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the father do to show he cares for his family?
3. Why do you think the murderers in "The Killers" belittle the restaurant patrons and take them hostage? Was this necessary?
4. In "The Killers" why doesn't the author tell the reader why Ole Anderson is going to be murdered?
5. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what does the wife do to hurt her husband?
6. Describe the marriage between Julia and Francis in "The Country Husband."
7. In "The Country Husband" what does Francis' recollection of the maid add to the story?
8. In "The Other Woman" do you think that the man truly loved his wife?
9. In "My Dead Brother comes to America," why do the authorities hesitate to let the family off the ship?
10. In "That in Aleppo Once..." do you think the wife ever actually existed?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)