|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Wild Plums" why does the narrator's father visit the Slump property?
(a) To go pluming.
(b) To collect rent.
(c) To retrieve his plow.
(d) To arrange his daughter's marriage.
2. In "The Country Husband" Francis had been in the __________.
(d) Air Force.
3. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin,", how old is Richard?
4. In "Wild Plums" who asks the young girl to go pluming?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(d) The Slump family.
5. In "The Killers" what is the name of the location that the first part of the story takes place?
(a) Pershing Middle School.
(c) St. Mary's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Killers" where does the first part of the story take place?
2. In "The Other Woman" what important recognition has the storyteller received?
3. In "Christmas Gift" why does Sill enter the store?
4. In "That in Aleppo Once..." to whom are the letters written?
5. Who wrote "The Hitch-Hikers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Richard compassionate in "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin"?
2. When "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin" and "The Country Husband" were first published, how controversial was the subject matter?
3. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," do you think the main character is mentally ill? Why?
4. In "That in Aleppo Once..." do you think the wife ever actually existed?
5. In "My Dead Brother comes to America," why do the authorities hesitate to let the family off the ship?
6. Why do you think the murderers in "The Killers" belittle the restaurant patrons and take them hostage? Was this necessary?
7. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the father do to show he cares for his family?
8. In "Wild Plums" why do the narrator's parents not want her to pick plums?
9. Describe the evidence that the family in "Christmas Gift" are second-class citizens.
10. Why do you think that Francis becomes obsessed with the babysitter in "A Country Husband"?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)