|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Christmas Gift" what does the storekeeper give the boy?
(b) A spitwad.
(c) A sandwich.
2. In "The Other Woman" where does the other woman work?
(a) At a gas station.
(b) An office.
(c) A school.
(d) At a cigar store.
3. Who wrote "The Other Woman"?
(a) John Smith.
(b) Sherwood Anderson.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Maya Angelou.
4. In "Theft" what is stolen?
(b) A purse.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A watch.
5. Who wrote "The Country Husband"?
(a) John Cheever.
(b) John Updike.
(c) Dorothy Parker.
(d) Jean Stanford.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Theft" what reason does the thief give for stealing?
2. In "The Country Husband" Francis responds rudely to a neighbor. What was she trying to talk to him about?
3. In "Christmas Gift" who is having a baby?
4. In "Christmas Gift" who gives the boy a cigarette?
5. Who wrote "Theft"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author chose to have a narrator listening to a friend tell a story in "The Other Woman"?
2. In "Christmas Gift" what is the gift?
3. In the end of, "That in Aleppo Once..." why is the narrator unhappy?
4. In "Wild Plums" why did the young girl want to pick plums?
5. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the father do to show he cares for his family?
6. How do you perceive the fiancee in "The Other Woman"?
7. In "The Second Tree from the Corner," what are Mr. Trexler's bizarre thoughts?
8. In "That in Aleppo Once..." do you think the wife ever actually existed?
9. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does the guitar mean to each of the characters?
10. Describe how the sister acts around Richard in "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin."
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)