|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Country Husband" whom does Francis recognize at his neighbor's house?
(a) The maid.
(b) The babysitter.
(c) The butler.
(d) The guest of honor.
2. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what instrument does the sister play?
3. In "The Other Woman" what is about to happen in the storyteller's life?
(a) He will soon be married.
(b) He will attend a funeral.
(c) He will become a priest.
(d) He will soon be divorced.
4. In "The Other Woman" where does the other woman work?
(a) A school.
(b) At a gas station.
(c) An office.
(d) At a cigar store.
5. In "The Killers" why do the two men want to kill Ole Anderson?
(a) The reader is not told.
(b) Ole is a Communist.
(c) Ole owes money to his bookie.
(d) Ole killed their brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "That in Aleppo Once..." the narrator immigrates to ____________.
2. In "The Country Husband" Francis responds rudely to a neighbor. What was she trying to talk to him about?
3. In "The Country Husband" Clayton Thomas is engaged to _______________.
4. In "The Country Husband" who listens to Francis tell about the event that has just happened?
5. Who wrote "Christmas Gift"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Country Husband" how does Julia make herself happy?
2. How is "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin" a story about coming of age?
3. Why do you think that Francis becomes obsessed with the babysitter in "A Country Husband"?
4. In "The Country Husband" what does Francis' recollection of the maid add to the story?
5. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," do you think the main character is mentally ill? Why?
6. In "Christmas Gift" what is the gift?
7. In "The Second Tree from the Corner," what are Mr. Trexler's bizarre thoughts?
8. In the end of, "That in Aleppo Once..." why is the narrator unhappy?
9. Why do you think the murderers in "The Killers" belittle the restaurant patrons and take them hostage? Was this necessary?
10. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does Harris do to try to help the hitch-hikers?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)