|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the last section called "Test the Spirits?"
2. What disease did the author's childhood friend have?
3. What of the author's shift in this section?
4. What does Hermanito hate about Pachita?
5. What important part of the plot happens during this section of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Pachita's healing amazing to the people that witness them?
2. According to Johanna, why is it so easy for many people to be misled by occultism.
3. What important character is Johanna introduced to after she joins the Light and Power House?
4. What other advice does the author offer to people who are lost and seeking God?
5. What happens to many Christian and community leaders?
6. Is Johanna the only person who believes there is evil lurking in Hermanito's work?
7. While operating on Johanna's friend, David, what happens to Hermanito?
8. Why does arguing with the author seem useless?
9. How does the tone shift in this section of the novel?
10. Who suggests that Johanna go abroad to take time for herself? What does she find on her travels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Compare the author's birth parents to Os Guinness and Shelia Bird.
2. How do the two couples impact Johanna's life?
3. How does accepting Os and Shelia into her life, forever change Johanna's relationship with her parents?
Essay Topic 2
1. Compare the characters of Damon and Beck.
2. How are they similar and different from one another?
3. Why do you think the author chose to use pseudonyms for both characters?
4. Explain the term literary "foil." How does the author establish Damon and Beck to be foils for one another?
Essay Topic 3
It seems as though it is very difficult for Johanna to become close to men. Finally, after meeting her husband, she finds peace in a relationship. Describe her relationships with the following men below:
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)