|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hermanito?
2. After one operation, what could the author see in Hermanito?
3. As the chapter ends, what is Johanna richer with?
4. What does Johanna think that the operations are?
5. What is a pseudonym?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johanna determine that her old beliefs are incorrect?
2. Why does arguing with the author seem useless?
3. How should believers test their community leaders and religious leaders?
4. What important character is Johanna introduced to after she joins the Light and Power House?
5. As the book closes, what does the author ultimately claim to know?
6. As Johanna opens herself into learning more about Christianity, who does she distance herself from?
7. How is this chapter different from the rest of the book?
8. How does the tone shift in this section of the novel?
9. What triggers Johanna into her feeling of uncertainty about the Mind Control group?
10. How did Pachita and Hermanito first come together into their practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. In order to become closer to God, Johanna believes she must give up many things. Name some of the things that Johanna gives up.
2. Why does she think it is essential for her to give up things she enjoys. In her mind, how does it make her closer to God?
3. Do you agree with Johanna's new beliefs? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are extremely distinct style and tone shifts throughout Johanna's narrative.
1. State the four different styles that Johanna shifts between.
2. What sections have which tones associated with them?
3. How does Johanna weave her tale but also concisely change the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1. Compare North Carolina Chapel Hill to Wesleyan College.
2. Why does Johanna choose to switch universities?
3. Does changing schools improve Johanna's life? How does the torture of Johanna continue on throughout her time at both universities?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)