|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Name another presence of the occult in everyday lives.
2. During Johanna's friend's operation, how does Hermanito save him?
3. What does Johanna reveal herself to be?
4. What do pastors have a duty to do for their communities?
5. What is the importance of the title "New Foundation?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pachita and Hermanito first come together into their practice?
2. As Johanna continues to work with Pachita, who does Johanna feel she is having difficulty connecting with?
3. What is the "inner witness" that the author present to the reader?
4. What other advice does the author offer to people who are lost and seeking God?
5. What are demons particularly happy to offer to humans?
6. How can the inner witness be infallible?
7. Who suggests that Johanna go abroad to take time for herself? What does she find on her travels?
8. What triggers Johanna into her feeling of uncertainty about the Mind Control group?
9. While with the Mind Control group, what does Johanna think that Hermanito's surgeries are?
10. How does the tone shift in this section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johanna attempts to present herself as a true prophet by giving the reader several ways in which he can rid himself from occult-like practices.
1. List the suggested methods.
2. Do you believe their is validity in this method?
3. By giving the reader these guidelines, what is Johanna professing knowledge of?
Essay Topic 2
There are extremely distinct style and tone shifts throughout Johanna's narrative.
1. State the four different styles that Johanna shifts between.
2. What sections have which tones associated with them?
3. How does Johanna weave her tale but also concisely change the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1. Compare the characters of Damon and Beck.
2. How are they similar and different from one another?
3. Why do you think the author chose to use pseudonyms for both characters?
4. Explain the term literary "foil." How does the author establish Damon and Beck to be foils for one another?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)