|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the 3rd test in confirming whether or not someone is an occultist?
2. What is Johanna finally confronted with during book?
3. How does Johanna's tone change in the last section of the book?
4. When the author is around Hermanito, who does she feel is protecting her?
5. What does Hermanito hate about Pachita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who suggests that Johanna go abroad to take time for herself? What does she find on her travels?
2. What does the author believe is a sign of the End of Times?
3. How does Johanna determine that her old beliefs are incorrect?
4. How did Pachita and Hermanito first come together into their practice?
5. According to Johanna, why is it so easy for many people to be misled by occultism.
6. How should believers test their community leaders and religious leaders?
7. What triggers Johanna into her feeling of uncertainty about the Mind Control group?
8. While operating on Johanna's friend, David, what happens to Hermanito?
9. As the book closes, what does the author ultimately claim to know?
10. As the chapter "Signs and Wonders" begins, what worries Johanna's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The struggle between God and Satan are two major parts of Christianity and the focus of the book.
1. How does the author characterize Satan?
2. How is God characterized?
3. Explain how God and Satan are balancing forces at work throughout the universe everyday.
Essay Topic 2
1. Explain the Mind Control program.
2. Who runs the program and what characters are vital to the organizations?
3. Discuss the dual nature of the name "Mind Control."
4. Does the name of the group lead the reader to assume they have other interests than helping humanity?
Essay Topic 3
There are extremely distinct style and tone shifts throughout Johanna's narrative.
1. State the four different styles that Johanna shifts between.
2. What sections have which tones associated with them?
3. How does Johanna weave her tale but also concisely change the tone of the novel?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)