|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first step to freeing one's self from the occult?
2. What does Johanna's test prove?
3. How did another well known author feel about Hermanito/ Pachtia?
4. By the end of the chapter, what is she solely focusing on?
5. After one operation, what could the author see in Hermanito?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Pachita's healing amazing to the people that witness them?
2. While operating on Johanna's friend, David, what happens to Hermanito?
3. How does Johanna determine that her old beliefs are incorrect?
4. How is this chapter different from the rest of the book?
5. How does the tone shift in this section of the novel?
6. Who suggests that Johanna go abroad to take time for herself? What does she find on her travels?
7. How did Pachita and Hermanito first come together into their practice?
8. What important character is Johanna introduced to after she joins the Light and Power House?
9. Why is the title of the section, "Exodus," symbolic?
10. While with the Mind Control group, what does Johanna think that Hermanito's surgeries are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Compare North Carolina Chapel Hill to Wesleyan College.
2. Why does Johanna choose to switch universities?
3. Does changing schools improve Johanna's life? How does the torture of Johanna continue on throughout her time at both universities?
Essay Topic 2
It seems as though it is very difficult for Johanna to become close to men. Finally, after meeting her husband, she finds peace in a relationship. Describe her relationships with the following men below:
Essay Topic 3
1. Compare the characters of Damon and Beck.
2. How are they similar and different from one another?
3. Why do you think the author chose to use pseudonyms for both characters?
4. Explain the term literary "foil." How does the author establish Damon and Beck to be foils for one another?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)