|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Hermanito chosen Pachita?
2. What is Johanna finally confronted with during book?
3. Why is the very last section called "The Means of Freedom?"
4. What disease did the author's childhood friend have?
5. What has Johanna removed from her life as New Foundation ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to many Christian and community leaders?
2. What makes Pachita's healing amazing to the people that witness them?
3. While operating on Johanna's friend, David, what happens to Hermanito?
4. How does the tone shift in this section of the novel?
5. While with the Mind Control group, what does Johanna think that Hermanito's surgeries are?
6. What does the author believe is a sign of the End of Times?
7. As the book closes, what does the author ultimately claim to know?
8. Upon returning to the United States, what groups does Johanna begin to join?
9. Why does arguing with the author seem useless?
10. According to Johanna, why is it so easy for many people to be misled by occultism.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Compare North Carolina Chapel Hill to Wesleyan College.
2. Why does Johanna choose to switch universities?
3. Does changing schools improve Johanna's life? How does the torture of Johanna continue on throughout her time at both universities?
Essay Topic 2
There are extremely distinct style and tone shifts throughout Johanna's narrative.
1. State the four different styles that Johanna shifts between.
2. What sections have which tones associated with them?
3. How does Johanna weave her tale but also concisely change the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Johanna attempts to establish Hermanito as an evil, angered, and manipulative entity. How does Hermanito manipulate the following people below?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)