|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the atmosphere of the beginning of the book?
(a) Fun and whimsical.
(b) Mysterious and confused.
(c) Stormy, dark and oppressive.
(d) Light and airy.
2. What does the author introduce Damon to in the chapter, Damon?
(a) Her mother and father.
(b) Her friend Beck.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Tiresias and Mephistopheles.
3. Eventually, what is Johanna suggesting of the theater?
(a) The theater has great deals on movies.
(b) The theater is a kind of occult practice.
(c) The theater is a comforting place.
(d) The theater is a sanctuary.
4. What does Dr. Carlos think of Tom and his Mind Control program?
(a) He greatly respects the whole program.
(b) Dr. Carlos is delusional.
(c) Tom is attempting to steal Pachita's power.
(d) The doctor thinks they are not being respectful of Pachita.
5. What do her encounters with spirits mean for the author?
(a) Manifestations of her connection with the spirit world.
(b) Her dead aunt's way of staying in touch.
(c) She feels as though she is going insane.
(d) Evil spirits looking to ruin her life.
6. What theater was the author performing in DC?
(a) Ford's Theatre.
(b) The Met.
(c) JFK Performing Arts Center.
(d) Shakespeare Theater Company.
7. Where does the author usually encounter fretful spirits?
(a) In her home town.
(b) At school.
(c) In theater buildings.
(d) In graveyards.
8. Where does Johanna's father find the mind control program?
(a) An ad in a magazine.
(b) In the newspaper.
(c) Through a church.
(d) On the internet.
9. What gets the author through her childhood and adulthood?
(a) Her family's support.
(b) Her fascination with acting.
(c) The feeling of comfort from the crucifix.
(d) Her close group of friends.
10. Does the author have many happy memories of being with her family as a child?
(a) No, her parents were very cruel to their children.
(b) Yes she does but she feels as though something is missing.
(c) No, she could not stand being around her sister.
(d) Yes, but only with her sister.
11. What are the names of Johanna's two new male friends?
(a) Eric and Jason.
(b) Tom and Carlos.
(c) Stanley and Tom.
(d) Damon and Beck.
12. Why does Johanna become depressed?
(a) Her mother has died.
(b) Darker spirits are very attracted to her and will not leave her be.
(c) Damon does not return her feelings.
(d) Her sister has run away from home.
13. What effects do crucifixes and crosses have on the author?
(a) They provide calmness in her chaotic life.
(b) They stir up angry feelings.
(c) She is confused by the crucifix.
(d) She does not notice them.
14. Who is Mephistopheles?
(a) A town in Mexico.
(b) Another name for God.
(c) A statue given to the author by her Mother.
(d) An evil force present in Johanna's life.
15. Brainwashing is ________.
(a) Changing your mind of your own free will.
(b) A coercive technique used to change beliefs.
(c) A spiritual meditation.
(d) Flushing your brain with fluids.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Mind Control program advertise itself to the public?
2. Who are Johanna and Tom confronted by as they pull up to the house they are to visit?
3. What is her snake's names?
4. What flourished during the author's time at Wesleyan?
5. What was present in the author's family situation before she was born?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)