|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is present on Pachita's alter?
(a) St Joseph.
(b) A picture of her mother.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) Cuauhtemoc, an Aztec warrior.
2. What is the only true source of inspiration for true faith?
(a) Religious leaders.
(b) Spiritual Guides.
(c) The Koran.
(d) The Bible.
3. In "The Encounter," what literary device is used many times?
4. How does the Mind Control program advertise itself to the public?
(a) A religion.
(b) A new way of thinking about life.
(c) A way to join forces with God.
(d) It offered relief from mental troubles and improved mental capacity.
5. This _____ is the story of experiences with the ____.
(a) Narrative; mind controllers.
(b) Tale; illusionists.
(c) Story; soldiers.
(d) Narrative; occult.
6. What is Cuauhtemoc?
(a) An Aztec prince.
(b) Johanna's guardian.
(c) A god that Pachita worships.
(d) Tom's foreign cousin.
7. What does Beck help the author through?
(a) Horrifying experiences with evil spirits.
(b) Discovering God.
(c) Recovery from her attack.
(d) Her thesis project.
8. Eventually, what is Johanna suggesting of the theater?
(a) The theater is a comforting place.
(b) The theater is a sanctuary.
(c) The theater is a kind of occult practice.
(d) The theater has great deals on movies.
9. Why does Johanna end her relationship with Beck?
(a) She does not love Beck.
(b) Johanna's father intensely dislikes Beck.
(c) Beck is too involved in his studies.
(d) Beck cheats on her.
10. Who is Mephistopheles?
(a) Another name for God.
(b) A statue given to the author by her Mother.
(c) A town in Mexico.
(d) An evil force present in Johanna's life.
11. What is Tom's philosophy in teaching Mind Control?
(a) Participants can become aware of their potential to protect humanity.
(c) Not everyone is gifted enough to practice.
(d) It is an art.
12. What does Pachita keep on her alter?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A statue of the devil.
(c) A clock.
(d) A Bible.
13. Does the author have many happy memories of being with her family as a child?
(a) No, she could not stand being around her sister.
(b) No, her parents were very cruel to their children.
(c) Yes, but only with her sister.
(d) Yes she does but she feels as though something is missing.
14. Where is Wesleyan located?
(c) New York City.
15. What are these beings?
(a) Creations of Johanna's imagination.
(b) They do not actually exist.
(c) Large, overwhelming beings.
(d) Very small, ruddy looking creatures.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author what does Pachita attempt to disguise her work as?
2. What are the names of Johanna's two new male friends?
3. How does the author feel when Jesus appears to her?
4. What effects do crucifixes and crosses have on the author?
5. What does the author believe she has found after so many years of darkness?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)