|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Josiah Franklin took his first wife and three children to America where they had how many more?
2. Franklin's final competition was Bradford, who not only had a print shop, but ran what?
(a) A stationary shop.
(b) An unreliable postal service.
(c) A shipping business.
(d) The Pony Express service.
3. What was the title of the pamphlet Franklin wrote about paper money, a raging debate at the time?
(a) "The Necessityand Benefits of Paper Currency."
(b) "The Nature and Necessity of Paper Currency."
(c) "The Ten Reasons Justifying Paper Currency."
(d) "The Need for Paper Currency."
4. Franklin's family had to hide their religion in England in what manner?
(a) Read the English Bible in secrecy.
(b) Held baptisms in secrecy.
(c) Read the Lutheran hymnal in secrecy.
(d) Held prayer sessions in secrecy.
5. When Franklin returned to Philadelphia, the former governor did what?
(a) Approached him, apologized profusely.
(b) Turned and walked away.
(c) Passed by without a word.
(d) Ducked into the nearest shop on the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Josiah and his second wife had how many children?
2. In reading his autobiography, one can see that Franklin fell into what category?
3. Why did the Governor of New York show an interest in meeting young Franklin upon his arrival this second time?
4. Franklin noted the oldest son being apprenticed in a smithing trade was a tradition that went how far back?
5. What was it Franklin discovered in the end regarding his virtues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Franklin's opinion of what he termed "seeming magnitude" of undertakings?
2. What happened upon Franklin's initial arrival in London with promises of assistance from Governor Keith?
3. What relationship did Franklin establish with Deborah Read?
4. What did Franklin have to say about his almanac?
5. What was Franklin's education during his youth?
6. Why did Keimer start his newspaper?
7. What were the advantages of Franklin being a member of JUNTO?
8. What was the result of some farmers' request as Franklin's militia prepared to leave the territory?
9. What did Franklin confess he would have done regarding the details of his story but lacked the talent to accomplish?
10. What was Franklin's connection with the study of electricity?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)