|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Franklin borrowed books from a shop which later inspired him to do what?
(a) Open a public library system in America.
(b) Open a bookshop in Philadelphia.
(c) Open a bookshop in New York City.
(d) Open a private library in Philadelphia.
2. Franklin noted he was honest about his achievements without being falsely humble or arrogant and stipulated he would have changed some details to look better but did not for what reason?
(a) He lacked the writing talent.
(b) He sought facts, not fiction.
(c) His life was too well known.
(d) He wanted the truth known.
3. What did his new employer seek of Franklin?
(a) Obtain new printing customers.
(b) Expand the print shop.
(c) Put his print shop back in order.
(d) Obtain government work orders.
4. His father told him he might consider helping him out if Franklin did what?
(a) Worked in the printing trade for several more years.
(b) Earned his passage back to Philadelphia.
(c) Saved a good portion of what he needed.
(d) Earned half the cost of his business first.
5. Franklin considered Ralph a good friend, but an expensive one who did what?
(a) Used Franklin's name to get a job and cheated him.
(b) Refused to get a job and cheated Franklin.
(c) Got a job without Franklin's aid but cheated him.
(d) Lived a lavish life and cheated Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reading his autobiography, one can see that Franklin fell into what category?
2. These three elements Franklin discovered as essential to a happy individual became what for him?
3. Franklin dated and nearly married a woman, until her family forbade their courtship when they decided what?
4. Which co-worker convinced Franklin to hold on a little longer with his new employer?
5. What did Franklin learn about Governor Keith's letters of credit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Franklin address what he termed "natural passions"?
2. What problem did Franklin encounter with a community beer till at Watt's?
3. What did Franklin confess he would have done regarding the details of his story but lacked the talent to accomplish?
4. What did Franklin interject regarding religion at this point?
5. What did Franklin explain to his son, William, in his opening?
6. Who was James Ralph and what was his relationship with Franklin?
7. What happened upon Franklin's initial arrival in London with promises of assistance from Governor Keith?
8. What took place upon Franklin's return to Boston in hopes of gaining his father's consent?
9. What were the advantages of Franklin being a member of JUNTO?
10. Franklin was a perfectionist and approached the thirteen virtues in what fashion?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)