|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was it Franklin discovered in the end regarding his virtues?
(a) He had mastered some virtues but not all.
(b) He was as virtuous as a human could be.
(c) He was not perfect and would never achieve perfection.
(d) He was not perfect and did not wish to be.
2. What did a contact advised Franklin to do?
(a) Get a job with "The London Times".
(b) Get a job working as a journalist.
(c) Get a job and learn about printing.
(d) Return to the United States.
3. What did Franklin hope would result when he included his collection of virtues in his autobiography?
(a) They "may follow my virtues and achieve the reward."
(b) They "may follow the example and spare themselves regret."
(c) They "may follow the example and reap the benefit."
(d) They "may follow my example or similar virtues guidance."
4. Franklin saw nothing wrong with a little boasting, especially if he did what first?
(a) Announced he was being proud.
(b) Thanked God for the vanity.
(c) Stipulated he was being honest.
(d) Qualified that he was bragging first.
5. Collins broke his word to Franklin several times, but when did the pair become estranged?
(a) When he sold Collins' books.
(b) After he threw Collins from a carriage.
(c) When he beat Collins.
(d) After he threw Collins overboard from a boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Franklin learn about Governor Keith's letters of credit?
2. His father told him he might consider helping him out if Franklin did what?
3. Who was it Franklin provided his virtues list for?
4. Franklin believed in God and attended church how frequently?
5. Subscribers signed a promissory note and agreed to pay what for any book they did not return?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Franklin find Keimer had fared during his 18-month absence in London?
2. Why did Keimer start his newspaper?
3. What did Franklin explain to his son, William, in his opening?
4. What was Franklin's opinion of what he termed "seeming magnitude" of undertakings?
5. What happened when Franklin set to resume his relationship with Miss Read?
6. What observation did Franklin make of those in public affairs?
7. What was Franklin's education during his youth?
8. Who was James Ralph and what was his relationship with Franklin?
9. Why did Franklin return to America following his initial stay in England?
10. What happened when Meredith's father did not pay as he agreed for Franklin's business?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)