|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
2. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
3. After the death of Benedict, how many years does the anonymous author credit Ceolfrith with presiding over both monasteries simultaneously?
4. Who does the anonymous author claim presided over the monastery before Ceolfrith joined it?
5. What does the anonymous author report appeared before the traveling party after it had finished singing on its way back to its boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
2. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
3. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
4. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
5. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
6. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
7. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
8. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
9. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
10. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" has a significantly different tone than do the other accounts from the books in "The Age of Bede." Identify the nature of that difference and, using D.H. Farmer's introduction, support the reasons for those differences from that text.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)