|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
2. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
3. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
4. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
5. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
2. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
3. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
4. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
5. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
6. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
7. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
8. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
9. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
10. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
Essay Topic 2
Wilfrid gained acclaim with his debate on the "Easter Question" with Bishop Colman. His presentation, which was Rome's view on when Easter should be celebrated, also preceded the opposition that came against his various offices through his career. Using observations made in D.H. Farmer's introduction and information from "The Life of Wilfrid," identify why Wilfrid's position might have motivated opposition to his leadership throughout England and explain the long-term consequences to the observation Christian holidays, especially Easter.
Essay Topic 3
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)