|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
2. To where does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan traveled after he took a series of three day fasts that lasted 40 days?
3. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
4. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
5. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
2. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
3. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
4. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
5. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
6. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
7. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
8. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
9. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
10. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 2
"The Life of Bede" is a record of efforts of Christians to introduce their faith to pagans in the British Isles. How did the efforts of the early Christian monks and clergymen of the British Isles helped to shape the institutions of Western Civilization? Use examples from the book and connect what you know of current culture to those examples.
Essay Topic 3
Ceolfrith, Eosterwin, Sigfrith, and Hwaetbehrt all made different contributions to the Abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow. Choose two of the abbots and detail a contribution each made to the abbey and how the separate contributions worked together to strengthen the mission of the abbeys.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)