|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was the letter addressed?
2. To where had Bredan's son fled to live the life of a hermit with other monks, according to the story recorded by the anonymous author?
3. What was announced to Brendan's party would come after seven years from the announcement by the fallen angels, according to the anonymous author?
4. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
5. What was Benedict's council to those who visited him while he suffered his illness, according to Bede?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 2
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" has a significantly different tone than do the other accounts from the books in "The Age of Bede." Identify the nature of that difference and, using D.H. Farmer's introduction, support the reasons for those differences from that text.
Essay Topic 3
Identify three events in "The Life of Cuthbert" that are historically reasonable and coinciding miraculous or mystical events that occurred during those events. Use the intermingling of history with the miraculous to establish a pattern that can define Bede's purpose for writing "The Life of Cuthbert." Was it to entertain, teach, evangelize, or is there another purpose that you see.
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)