|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice did Ceolfrith pass on to the monks who joined him in building the new monastery?
2. Where was the monastery that the anonymous author report Ceolfrith joined?
3. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
4. In the story the anonymous writer recorded Brendan told, what did Brendan say his son's name was?
5. In what book from the Bible does Bede claim Benedict took comfort during nights he could not sleep during his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
2. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
3. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
4. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
5. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
6. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
7. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
8. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
9. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
10. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilfrid gained acclaim with his debate on the "Easter Question" with Bishop Colman. His presentation, which was Rome's view on when Easter should be celebrated, also preceded the opposition that came against his various offices through his career. Using observations made in D.H. Farmer's introduction and information from "The Life of Wilfrid," identify why Wilfrid's position might have motivated opposition to his leadership throughout England and explain the long-term consequences to the observation Christian holidays, especially Easter.
Essay Topic 2
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" has a significantly different tone than do the other accounts from the books in "The Age of Bede." Identify the nature of that difference and, using D.H. Farmer's introduction, support the reasons for those differences from that text.
Essay Topic 3
Bede was monk at Jarrow during the late 7th and early 8th centuries. He is known as the "Father of English History." Give details of how Bede's personal service directed his choice of figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the influence these figures had on the region in which they served.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)