|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
2. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
3. What monastery construction on the north bank of Wear was funded by Benedict, according to Bede?
4. How does the anonymous author claim Brendan's party finally arrived to the island they had been seeking?
5. Who does the anonymous author claim provided Brendan's traveling party with food as it left this island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
2. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
3. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
4. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
5. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
6. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
7. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
8. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
9. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
10. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the accounts presented in "The Age of Bede" contain more fantastical events than others. All are considered histories. Pick the account you find most similar to the way historical accounts are written today and describe the similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Cuthbert, Wilfrid, and Benedict are three Church leaders who had great influence on the foundation of Christianity in Europe and the Western Hemisphere. Identify one achievement by each of this men that have had a long standing influence in the practice or doctrine of Western Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
"The Life of Bede" is a record of efforts of Christians to introduce their faith to pagans in the British Isles. How did the efforts of the early Christian monks and clergymen of the British Isles helped to shape the institutions of Western Civilization? Use examples from the book and connect what you know of current culture to those examples.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)