|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Ceolfrith preside over the responsibilities appointed to him by Benedict?
2. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
3. Who was chosen by the monks to serve as abbot in Ceolfrith's absence, according to the anonymous author?
4. To whose honor was the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build dedicated, according to the anonymous author?
5. After Brendan said he and his son landed the boat in which they took their trip, how long did they walk on the island before without reaching the furthest shore from their landing, according to the anonymous writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
2. How long were Brendan and his party out to sea before they ran out of food after they departed their first destination, according to the anonymous writer?
3. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
4. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
5. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
6. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
7. Who did Ceolfrith allow the monks to choose as abbot for the monasteries at Jarrow and Wearmouth as he prepared to take a pilgrimage to Rome, according to Bede?
8. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
9. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
10. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the accounts presented in "The Age of Bede" contain more fantastical events than others. All are considered histories. Pick the account you find most similar to the way historical accounts are written today and describe the similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Wilfrid gained acclaim with his debate on the "Easter Question" with Bishop Colman. His presentation, which was Rome's view on when Easter should be celebrated, also preceded the opposition that came against his various offices through his career. Using observations made in D.H. Farmer's introduction and information from "The Life of Wilfrid," identify why Wilfrid's position might have motivated opposition to his leadership throughout England and explain the long-term consequences to the observation Christian holidays, especially Easter.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)