|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the anonymous author infer to be Ceolfrith's method of avoiding the plague that took the lives of many monks?
2. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
3. Who had prophesied that Brendan would die upon his return to his monastery, according to the anonymous author?
4. After the guide brought them to a vast hall with couches and water to wash their feet, what does the anonymous writer report that Brendan said?
5. Who confirmed the choice of Ceolfrith's replacement, according to Bede?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
2. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
3. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
4. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
5. Who did Ceolfrith allow the monks to choose as abbot for the monasteries at Jarrow and Wearmouth as he prepared to take a pilgrimage to Rome, according to Bede?
6. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
7. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
8. How long were Brendan and his party out to sea before they ran out of food after they departed their first destination, according to the anonymous writer?
9. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
10. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 2
Wilfrid gained acclaim with his debate on the "Easter Question" with Bishop Colman. His presentation, which was Rome's view on when Easter should be celebrated, also preceded the opposition that came against his various offices through his career. Using observations made in D.H. Farmer's introduction and information from "The Life of Wilfrid," identify why Wilfrid's position might have motivated opposition to his leadership throughout England and explain the long-term consequences to the observation Christian holidays, especially Easter.
Essay Topic 3
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)