|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who donated the land for Benedict to build a monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
2. How does the anonymous author claim Brendan's party finally arrived to the island they had been seeking?
3. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
4. What did some of the monks who buried Ceolfrith take to Rome on his behalf, according to the anonymous author?
5. At what age does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history claim he became a monk?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
2. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
3. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
4. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
5. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
6. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
7. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
8. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
9. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
10. Who did Benedict chose as abbot for the monastery at Wearmouth, according to Bede?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Farmer characterizes Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" as a hagiography that borrows from previously written biographies and legends of Cuthbert. Using Bede's "Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow" as a barometer for Bede's pure style for reporting historical fact, identify three examples from "The Life of Cuthbert" that can be assumed to be borrowed from previous legends and biographies and explain your choices with examples comparing "The Life of Cuthbert" with "The lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
Essay Topic 2
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
Essay Topic 3
Stephanus reports several episodes during which Wilfrid's service is challenged and his life is even threatened. Choose one of those events and identify the cause of the challenge, how Wilfrid dealt with the challenge, how he was delivered from the challenge, and the eventual consequences of the challenge to Wilfrid and those who brought it.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)