|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what abbey does Bede report Benedict named Eosterwine?
2. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
3. How long does the Anonymous writer claim Brendan and his party traveled before they ran out of food after they left the destination to which they traveled after the 40 days of fasting?
4. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
5. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
2. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
3. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
4. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
5. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
6. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
7. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
8. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
9. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
10. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify three events in "The Life of Cuthbert" that are historically reasonable and coinciding miraculous or mystical events that occurred during those events. Use the intermingling of history with the miraculous to establish a pattern that can define Bede's purpose for writing "The Life of Cuthbert." Was it to entertain, teach, evangelize, or is there another purpose that you see.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 3
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)