Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where had Bredan's son fled to live the life of a hermit with other monks, according to the story recorded by the anonymous author?
2. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
3. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
4. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
5. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
Essay Topic 1
Wilfrid gained acclaim with his debate on the "Easter Question" with Bishop Colman. His presentation, which was Rome's view on when Easter should be celebrated, also preceded the opposition that came against his various offices through his career. Using observations made in D.H. Farmer's introduction and information from "The Life of Wilfrid," identify why Wilfrid's position might have motivated opposition to his leadership throughout England and explain the long-term consequences to the observation Christian holidays, especially Easter.
Essay Topic 2
"The Life of Bede" is a record of efforts of Christians to introduce their faith to pagans in the British Isles. How did the efforts of the early Christian monks and clergymen of the British Isles helped to shape the institutions of Western Civilization? Use examples from the book and connect what you know of current culture to those examples.
Essay Topic 3
In his travels Ceolfrith dealt with several kings on the British Isles and in Europe. Choose two of these kings and detail the type of relationship Ceolfrith had with them. How did Ceolfrith's relationships with these kings benefit or hinder his ministry with the abbeys of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)