|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
2. Who does Bede write about as the abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow?
3. After Brendan said he and his son landed the boat in which they took their trip, how long did they walk on the island before without reaching the furthest shore from their landing, according to the anonymous writer?
4. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
5. Who does Bede report provided the land for St. Peter's Monastery?
Essay Topic 1
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" is a book of allegory and fantasy. Choose two characters or episodes from the book that can have allegorical significance with regard to Christian doctrine.
Essay Topic 2
Stephanus reports several episodes during which Wilfrid's service is challenged and his life is even threatened. Choose one of those events and identify the cause of the challenge, how Wilfrid dealt with the challenge, how he was delivered from the challenge, and the eventual consequences of the challenge to Wilfrid and those who brought it.
Essay Topic 3
Bede was monk at Jarrow during the late 7th and early 8th centuries. He is known as the "Father of English History." Give details of how Bede's personal service directed his choice of figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the influence these figures had on the region in which they served.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)