|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was named to rule the monastery shortly before Ceolfrith joined it, according to the anonymous author?
2. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
3. What skill was brought from France to Britain as a result of the construction of the monastery in Northumbria, according to Bede?
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
5. What does the anonymous writer claim came into view after the ship ran out of food?
Essay Topic 1
Identify three events in "The Life of Cuthbert" that are historically reasonable and coinciding miraculous or mystical events that occurred during those events. Use the intermingling of history with the miraculous to establish a pattern that can define Bede's purpose for writing "The Life of Cuthbert." Was it to entertain, teach, evangelize, or is there another purpose that you see.
Essay Topic 2
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" is a book of allegory and fantasy. Choose two characters or episodes from the book that can have allegorical significance with regard to Christian doctrine.
Essay Topic 3
Eddius Stephanus was a contemporary of Wilfrid, and he constructed "The Life of Wilfrid" from the time he spent in service to Wilfrid. Find three examples from the book that illustrate Stephanus's involvement in the events in the book and from your examination detail what you believe to be Stephanus's role in his work with Wilfrid.
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)