|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
2. How did the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith came to study for the priesthood?
3. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
5. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 2
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" has a significantly different tone than do the other accounts from the books in "The Age of Bede." Identify the nature of that difference and, using D.H. Farmer's introduction, support the reasons for those differences from that text.
Essay Topic 3
Wilfrid performed several miracles throughout the time he grew in stature and faced challenges from opponents. Find two such miracles and detail how they affirmed his Christian devotion and stood as signs to others that God was guarding his ministry.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)