Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where had Bredan's son fled to live the life of a hermit with other monks, according to the story recorded by the anonymous author?
2. To what cause does Bede claim Benedict devoted himself after he traveled to Rome to visit the tombs of the Apostles?
3. From whom did Bede claim Benedict bought the unique collection during his fifth trip to Rome?
4. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
5. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
Essay Topic 1
"The Life of Bede" is a record of efforts of Christians to introduce their faith to pagans in the British Isles. How did the efforts of the early Christian monks and clergymen of the British Isles helped to shape the institutions of Western Civilization? Use examples from the book and connect what you know of current culture to those examples.
Essay Topic 2
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" is a book of allegory and fantasy. Choose two characters or episodes from the book that can have allegorical significance with regard to Christian doctrine.
Essay Topic 3
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)