|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Brendan chastise his fellow travelers for putting their flasks into streams running from the island to quench their thirst, according to the anonymous writer?
2. Why does the anonymous author claim that King Egfrith donated the resources for building another church and monastery?
3. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
4. What does Bede trace as Eosterwine's relationship to Benedict?
5. How many monks did the anonymous author report Ceolfrith took with him to complete the new construction that King Egfrith sponsored?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
2. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
3. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
4. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
5. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
6. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
7. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
8. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
9. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
10. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" is a book of allegory and fantasy. Choose two characters or episodes from the book that can have allegorical significance with regard to Christian doctrine.
Essay Topic 2
Eddius Stephanus was a contemporary of Wilfrid, and he constructed "The Life of Wilfrid" from the time he spent in service to Wilfrid. Find three examples from the book that illustrate Stephanus's involvement in the events in the book and from your examination detail what you believe to be Stephanus's role in his work with Wilfrid.
Essay Topic 3
Identify three events in "The Life of Cuthbert" that are historically reasonable and coinciding miraculous or mystical events that occurred during those events. Use the intermingling of history with the miraculous to establish a pattern that can define Bede's purpose for writing "The Life of Cuthbert." Was it to entertain, teach, evangelize, or is there another purpose that you see.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)