|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
2. On what date does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith boarded a ship to cross the sea to Gaul?
3. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
4. What condition does Bede write affected Sigfrith during his service as abbot?
5. Where does the anonymous author report Ceolfrith was buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
2. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
3. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
4. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
5. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
6. Who did Ceolfrith allow the monks to choose as abbot for the monasteries at Jarrow and Wearmouth as he prepared to take a pilgrimage to Rome, according to Bede?
7. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
8. How long were Brendan and his party out to sea before they ran out of food after they departed their first destination, according to the anonymous writer?
9. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
10. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" is a book of allegory and fantasy. Choose two characters or episodes from the book that can have allegorical significance with regard to Christian doctrine.
Essay Topic 2
The monasteries in Wearmouth and Jarrow stand as monuments to Benedict's leadership qualities. Find three examples from Bede's "Lives of the Abbots . . ." that demonstrate Benedict's leadership qualities, his foresightedness, and his devotion to establish the Church on the British Isles on firm doctrinal ground. Explain how his management style and efforts would be effective for leaders in current times.
Essay Topic 3
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)