|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
2. To where does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan traveled after he took a series of three day fasts that lasted 40 days?
3. To where did Brendan's son invite him to travel, according to the anonymous writer?
4. What was the method that Bede writes Ceolfrith chose for a new abbot to be chosen to replace him?
5. Who did Bede report was chosen to replace Ceolfrith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides orthodox practices in Roman Catholicism, what does Bede credit Benedict with bringing back to England from his several pilgrimages to Rome?
2. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
3. For what cause did the anonymous writer report that Brendan selected 14 monks?
4. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
5. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
6. How did Ceolfrith's training under Abbot Botulf influence his life as a church leader, according to the anonymous author?
7. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
8. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
9. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
10. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his travels Ceolfrith dealt with several kings on the British Isles and in Europe. Choose two of these kings and detail the type of relationship Ceolfrith had with them. How did Ceolfrith's relationships with these kings benefit or hinder his ministry with the abbeys of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 2
Farmer characterizes Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" as a hagiography that borrows from previously written biographies and legends of Cuthbert. Using Bede's "Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow" as a barometer for Bede's pure style for reporting historical fact, identify three examples from "The Life of Cuthbert" that can be assumed to be borrowed from previous legends and biographies and explain your choices with examples comparing "The Life of Cuthbert" with "The lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
Essay Topic 3
Ceolfrith made pilgrimages to Rome and Europe with Benedict. Detail two contributions to British Christianity that Ceolfrith assisted Benedict bringing from their pilgrimages, and explain how those contributions have helped to shape Christian thoughts and practices today.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)