|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the anonymous author credit with providing master builders for the monastery that Ceolfrith helped to build?
2. To whom was the letter addressed?
3. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
4. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
5. Whose death was Ceolfrith compared in the letter from Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
2. How did a hermit named Paul claim he received his food while he was on a journey to his final resting place, according to the anonymous writer?
3. Who did Benedict chose as abbot for the monastery at Wearmouth, according to Bede?
4. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
5. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
6. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
7. How long were Brendan and his party out to sea before they ran out of food after they departed their first destination, according to the anonymous writer?
8. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
9. How did the abbot at Wearmouth die while Benedict was on a pilgrimage to Rome according to Bede?
10. Who did Bede record the monks at Wearmouth had chosen as the replacement for the abbot chosen by Benedict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eddius Stephanus was a contemporary of Wilfrid, and he constructed "The Life of Wilfrid" from the time he spent in service to Wilfrid. Find three examples from the book that illustrate Stephanus's involvement in the events in the book and from your examination detail what you believe to be Stephanus's role in his work with Wilfrid.
Essay Topic 2
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 3
Wilfrid gained acclaim with his debate on the "Easter Question" with Bishop Colman. His presentation, which was Rome's view on when Easter should be celebrated, also preceded the opposition that came against his various offices through his career. Using observations made in D.H. Farmer's introduction and information from "The Life of Wilfrid," identify why Wilfrid's position might have motivated opposition to his leadership throughout England and explain the long-term consequences to the observation Christian holidays, especially Easter.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)