|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Benedict and Sigfrith able to meet with each other shortly before they died from their illnesses, according to Bede?
2. When does the anonymous author record Brendan's traveling party landed on the island?
3. What quote does the anonymous author of Ceolfrith's history use to advise readers of his work?
4. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
5. After Brendan said he and his son landed the boat in which they took their trip, how long did they walk on the island before without reaching the furthest shore from their landing, according to the anonymous writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith took when he decided he was too old to be a good example to his followers?
2. What challenge does the anonymous writer report came to Ceolfrith and Benedict after the plague claimed the lives of many monks and Abbot Eosterwine while they were on a pilgrimage to Rome?
3. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
4. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
5. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
6. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
7. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
8. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
9. What was the first trip that Brendan and his 14 monks took after a series of thee-day fasts over 40 days according to the anonymous writer?
10. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his service in ministry, Wilfrid won the support of various influential figures in the Church and politics. Find one such example of a Christian leader supporting his ministry and another of a political leader supporting him. Compare what made the two figures come to the support of Wilfrid, how the support validated his ministry, and how it benefited those whom Wilfrid served.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith made pilgrimages to Rome and Europe with Benedict. Detail two contributions to British Christianity that Ceolfrith assisted Benedict bringing from their pilgrimages, and explain how those contributions have helped to shape Christian thoughts and practices today.
Essay Topic 3
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)