|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form did fallen angels take on Brendan's journey, according to the anonymous author?
2. What example does the anonymous author claim that Ceolfrith took from his brother Cynefrith?
3. What custom arose from the burial of Ceolfrith?
4. What did Bede report Benedict brought back to Britain after his third trip to Rome?
5. What does the anonymous author report Brendan's traveling party found during the walks around the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Bede note that Benedict chose as abbot for the new monastery he built at Jarrow?
2. Why does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith accompanied Benedict on a trip to Rome?
3. What did the bird tell Brendan was their punishment from God for their sin, according to the anonymous writer?
4. Why did Bede claim that Benedict passed on the land that King Oswiu awarded him as a thane of Oswiu's kingdom?
5. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
6. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
7. What manual trade does Bede report Benedict brought to England during construction of the monastery at the north bank at the mouth of the Wear River?
8. When an island sailed away from Brendan's party, how did God explain the event to Brendan, according to the anonymous writer?
9. What did a bird tell Brendan that his flock actually was, according to the anonymous writer?
10. How far does the anonymous writer claim Ceolfrith got on his last pilgrimage to Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
Essay Topic 2
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
Essay Topic 3
"The Voyage of St. Brendan" is a book of allegory and fantasy. Choose two characters or episodes from the book that can have allegorical significance with regard to Christian doctrine.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)