|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the anonymous writer record God sent to be the guide of Brendan's traveling party after they landed on the island?
2. How was the light for the island provided in the story the anonymous writer recorded from Brendan?
3. What apostle and New Testament book does the anonymous author on the history of Ceolfrith cite as his inspiration for writing the book.
4. What does Bede report came of King Egfrid during Benedict's journey?
5. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the accounts presented in "The Age of Bede" contain more fantastical events than others. All are considered histories. Pick the account you find most similar to the way historical accounts are written today and describe the similarities.
Essay Topic 2
Benedict's plans for the monasteries helped to construct helped to bring innovations in both Christian and construction practices. Identify an innovation from each field that he introduced to England through the abbeys at Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 3
The monasteries in Wearmouth and Jarrow stand as monuments to Benedict's leadership qualities. Find three examples from Bede's "Lives of the Abbots . . ." that demonstrate Benedict's leadership qualities, his foresightedness, and his devotion to establish the Church on the British Isles on firm doctrinal ground. Explain how his management style and efforts would be effective for leaders in current times.
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)