|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon their second meeting of the creatures who were fallen angels, what was announced to Brendan and his party, according to the anonymous author?
2. What was Brendan's warning as they left the island?
3. What foundation does Bede credit Benedict with beginning?
4. What did the anonymous author report that Brendan said a rocky island that had no sand on its beach actually was?
5. How does Bede claim Sigfrid came to be promoted from deacon to abbot after Eosterwine's left his abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the anonymous writer of "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith" claim he wrote the book?
2. Who does Bede claim endorsed the choice of the monks of Jarrow and Wearmouth?
3. Who does the anonymous author claim chose Ceolfrith to become a priest?
4. For what does the anonymous writer claim that Brendan was renowned?
5. Who provided the land for which a church and monastery could be built by Ceolfrith and Benedict according to the anonymous writer?
6. Where did Benedict learn his practice of Christianity, according to Bede?
7. Who does the anonymous writer claim served as Brendan's party's guide for finding food after they had run out the first time on their trip?
8. When Benedict and Sigrith were confined to their beds due to illness, what responsibility does the anonymous writer report Benedict passed to Ceolfrith?
9. What did the anonymous writer report to be surrounding Judas Iscariot when Brendan's party came upon him?
10. In what practice did Ceolfrith train new monks and priests, according to the anonymous writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bede makes an account of miracles throughout "The Life of Cuthbert." Choose three of the miracles from Bede's record and compare them to similar miracles from the Bible. Based upon your study make an assessment of whether or not the miracles occurred as Bede reported or if Bede was creating a story to attract pagans to convert to Christianity. Use text from "The Life of Cuthbert" to support your view.
Essay Topic 2
In his travels Ceolfrith dealt with several kings on the British Isles and in Europe. Choose two of these kings and detail the type of relationship Ceolfrith had with them. How did Ceolfrith's relationships with these kings benefit or hinder his ministry with the abbeys of Wearmouth and Jarrow.
Essay Topic 3
Ceolfrith decided his age was preventing him from conducting effective ministry. Review the decision he made regarding this recognition and explain how his actions regarding his recognition is a consistent reflection of actions he made regarding his ministry throughout his life.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)