|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(b) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(c) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(d) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
2. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(d) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
3. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(b) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(c) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(d) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
4. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(b) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(c) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(d) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
5. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Brendan.
(c) St. Benedict.
(d) St. Ceolfrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
2. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
3. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
4. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
5. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)