|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
2. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
(b) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(c) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(d) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
3. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
(a) He traveled to villages to preach the way of truth.
(b) He ministered to them directly by showing them a life of Christian integrity.
(c) He chastised them with harsh sermons.
(d) He secluded himself and prayed fervently for their integrity.
4. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(d) Iambic Pentameter.
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(b) They had no affect on the bishops.
(c) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(d) They diminished the influence of bishops.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
4. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
5. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)