|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
(a) Wilfrid had no doubt about the power of Christ and was impressed by the faith of the mother.
(b) Wilfrid knew that such a miracle would bring many pagans to Christ.
(c) Wilfrid sought to use the miracle to affirm the power of Christ in the village that was back sliding.
(d) Wilfrid used the miracle to frighten off pagans who were gathering to kill him.
2. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
(a) The history of the Maccabees.
(b) The Psalms.
(d) The Navigato.
3. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(d) History, fact, and economic theory.
4. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The family.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The Clergy.
(d) The government.
5. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
2. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
3. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
4. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
5. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)