|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being corrupt with indulgences.
(b) Being too stiff in worship services.
(c) Being too strict with moral limits.
(d) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
2. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(b) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(c) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(d) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
3. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(b) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(c) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(b) The healing mysteries of faith.
(c) The miraculous power of prayer.
(d) The quest for paradise on earth.
5. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Biscop Baducing.
(d) Bishop Agilberht.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
4. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
5. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)