|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) Water he blessed.
(b) Prayer and fasting.
(c) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(d) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
2. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
(a) He prayed over a pile of stones used in the construction and the pile was not exhausted until the church was completed.
(b) He healed through prayer a workman who fell from working on the highest part of the walls in the church.
(c) He prayed for God's provision of favorable weather and the project did not lose a day due to foul weather.
(d) He prayed for the health of the workers and all of them kept their health throughout the project.
3. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
4. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
5. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(b) St. John the Evangelist.
(c) The Gospel of Luke.
(d) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
2. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
3. To what biblical story does Stephanus compare the event that preceded the battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
5. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)