|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(c) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(d) "The Navigatio".
2. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
(a) The importance of miracles in identifying saints.
(b) The parallels between Yom Kippur and Christmas.
(c) The specific day upon which to celebrate Easter.
(d) The role of icons in affirming faith.
3. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Clergy.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The government.
(d) The family.
4. What sign does Stephanus claim was sent to prove that God intended Wilfred to be a saint?
(a) God brought defeat to kings who opposed him.
(b) God sent an angel to protect the monastery at Oundle.
(c) The seas were calmed after storms shiprwrecked his party.
(d) He brought a baby back from death.
5. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(c) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
2. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
3. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
4. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
5. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)