|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Aldgisi.
(b) King Dagobert.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Perctarit.
2. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(b) His maternal grandfather.
(c) A three-year-old child.
(d) A solemn old man.
3. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Bishop Baducing.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(d) Boniface the archdeacon.
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(b) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(c) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(d) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
5. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(b) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(c) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(d) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
2. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
3. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
4. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)