|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Stephanus claim Wilfrid accused English bishops prior to his journey to Gaul?
(a) Being too strict with moral limits.
(b) Being too stiff in worship services.
(c) Being similar in ideology to Celts.
(d) Being corrupt with indulgences.
2. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(b) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
3. Where did Stephanus report Wilfrid first settled after being chased from his see?
4. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
5. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(b) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(c) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(d) Brendan, an Irish monk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
2. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
3. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
4. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
5. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)