|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
(b) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(c) At the monastery at Melrose.
(d) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
2. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
(a) Because he knew that God had certainly heard the prayers of the monks praying for him.
(b) Because he knew that God would provide him strength to carry out ministry.
(c) Because he desired to be an inspiration to those in need.
(d) Because he did not want to neglect the responsibility God had put before him.
3. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Hunting and adventuring.
(b) Games and carefree play.
(c) Reading and writing.
(d) Praying and Chanting.
4. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
5. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
(b) Archbishop Berhtrwald.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) Pope Agatho and the Holy Synod.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
4. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)