|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign does Stephanus claim that God used to indicate that Wilfrid would serve him in the future?
(a) Birds gathered to sing praises to God as Wilfrid was born.
(b) A fiery demon was chased from his village by a torrent provided by God.
(c) An angel disguised as a horseman helped with Wilfrid's delivery.
(d) The house where he was being born caught fire but was not consumed.
2. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a dog.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By an eagle.
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Ceolfrith.
(b) St. Benedict.
(c) St. Patrick.
(d) St. Brendan.
4. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
(a) Wilfrid had no doubt about the power of Christ and was impressed by the faith of the mother.
(b) Wilfrid sought to use the miracle to affirm the power of Christ in the village that was back sliding.
(c) Wilfrid used the miracle to frighten off pagans who were gathering to kill him.
(d) Wilfrid knew that such a miracle would bring many pagans to Christ.
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(d) Iambic Pentameter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
4. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
5. To what office did Stephanus claim Agilberht ordained Wilfrid?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)