|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(b) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
(c) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(d) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(b) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(c) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(d) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
3. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Criticism and pessimism.
(b) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(c) Doctrine and legalism.
(d) Judgementalism and piety.
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(c) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(d) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the wicked queen who Stephanus wrote persecuted the church and martyred nine bishops?
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
3. Where does Stephanus claim peace was achieved between Wilfrid and his enemies?
4. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
5. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)