|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Ecgfrith.
(b) King Perctarit.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Aldgisi.
2. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "Lives of the Abbots."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
3. To whom did Stephanus address his record of the "Life of Wilfrid"?
(a) To Boniface, the archdeacon who introduced him to the pope.
(b) To his father.
(c) To Bishop Agilberht who ordained him to the priesthood.
(d) Acca, his Bishop, and Tatberht, his Abbot.
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(d) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
5. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
(b) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(c) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(d) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
3. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
4. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
5. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)