|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(b) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(c) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
2. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
(a) Bishop Agilberht.
(b) Archbishop Dalfinus.
(c) Biscop Baducing.
(d) Queen Eanfled's cousin, King Erconberht of Kent.
3. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(d) "The Navigatio".
4. What was Wilfrid's destination when he left his home, according to Stephanus?
(a) The home of Biscop Baducing.
(b) King Oswiu's queen, Eanfled, to whom he was recommended by noblemen he served in his father's house.
(c) Archbishop Dalfinus who hoped to adopt him as a son.
(d) The home of King Erconberht of Kent.
5. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Clergy.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The family.
(d) The government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
2. What miracle does Stephanus report that Wilfrid performed during the construction of the church at Hexham?
3. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
4. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
5. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)