|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Perctarit.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Dagobert.
(d) King Aldgisi.
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(d) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
3. What does Stephanus claim was the King's response to the request that Wilfrid be sent to the duke?
(a) He sent back a message that he had already executed Wilfrid to buy him time to escape.
(b) He tore up the scroll upon which the request was written in the audience of his court.
(c) He promptly captured Wilfrid and sent him back to the petitioner, but God spared Wilfrid the condemnation.
(d) The king ignored the request.
4. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
(a) Boniface the archdeacon.
(b) Bishop Colman.
(c) Bishop Baducing.
(d) Archbishop Dalfinus.
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(b) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(c) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(d) The village doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
3. Who was finally found to travel to St. Peter's with Wilfrid, according to Stephanus?
4. Who kept Wilfrid until Stephanus claimed he could meet with suitable travelers as he began his journey to St. Peter's see?
5. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)