|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their sloth.
(b) With their works.
(c) With their ill-gotten gains.
(d) With the coarse language.
2. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(b) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(c) Water he blessed.
(d) Prayer and fasting.
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(b) Iambic Pentameter.
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Criticism and pessimism.
(b) Judgementalism and piety.
(c) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(d) Doctrine and legalism.
5. According to Stephanus, how did the expansion of the Kingdom that Wilfrid advised expand his authority as Bishop?
(a) Wilfrid became bishop over the Saxons, British, Scots, and Picts.
(b) Wilfrid became wealthier from the expansion of the kingdom and used his wealth to buy support from Rome.
(c) Wilfrid used the expansion of the kingdom to claim more lands for the church.
(d) Wilfrid was recognized by Rome as a powerful Bishop of England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephanus claim influenced Ecgfrith to drive Wilfrid from his see?
2. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
3. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
4. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
5. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)