|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(b) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(c) He invented the scarecrow.
(d) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(d) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
3. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The family.
(d) The Clergy.
4. Who gave Wilfrid the monastery at Ripon according to Stephanus?
(a) King Oswiu.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) Bishop Winfrid.
5. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
2. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
3. Who does Stephanus claim introduced Wilfrid to the Pope?
4. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
5. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)