|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
2. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Hereberht, the hermit.
(c) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(d) Benedict Biscop.
3. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(b) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(c) He healed himself of a lame leg.
(d) He healed a sick boy near death.
4. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
(b) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
(c) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
(d) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
5. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(b) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(d) Bishop Colman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
3. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)