|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He was appointed Bishop.
(b) He became an usher in the Holy See.
(c) He became a priest.
(d) He became a hermit.
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(b) They had no affect on the bishops.
(c) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(d) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
3. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(b) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(c) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(d) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
4. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
(b) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(c) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(d) He drank the water from a cup.
5. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
(d) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Stephanus report Wilfrid's traveling companion leave him after they started their journey to St. Peter's?
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
5. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)