|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the reasons that Stephanus gave for Wilfrid deciding to bring a dead child back to life in the village of On Tiddanufri?
(a) Wilfrid knew that such a miracle would bring many pagans to Christ.
(b) Wilfrid used the miracle to frighten off pagans who were gathering to kill him.
(c) Wilfrid sought to use the miracle to affirm the power of Christ in the village that was back sliding.
(d) Wilfrid had no doubt about the power of Christ and was impressed by the faith of the mother.
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(b) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(c) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(d) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
3. After his debate with Bishop Colman won him acclaim, what does Stephanus report came of Wilfrid?
(a) Wilfrid was elected to the episcopacy.
(b) Wilfrid became a Bishop.
(c) Wilfrid was appointed abbot.
(d) Wilfrid was ordained as a priest.
4. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
(a) The Priest Herefrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what issue did Wilfrid debate Bishop Colman according to Stephanus?
2. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
3. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
4. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
5. Which duke of Theodoric petitioned the king over the land Wilfrid where was preaching to have Wilfrid sent to him dead or alive, according to Stephanus?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)