|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The healing mysteries of faith.
(b) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(c) The miraculous power of prayer.
(d) The quest for paradise on earth.
2. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) A fawn.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A dog.
(d) Two otters.
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(b) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(c) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(d) They had no affect on the bishops.
5. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) A local abbot.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
2. When Wilfrid's ship had run aground on the English shore and was surrounded by pagans, what event does Stephanus report occurred that preceded a battle between Wilfrid's party and the pagans?
3. Who does Stephanus report led a synod which was actually a trap to take the properties that were under Wilfrid's authority?
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
5. Who does Stephanus report restored Wilfrid to his see?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)