|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(b) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Knights.
(b) The Holy Priesthood.
(c) The Royal Order.
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 120.
(b) About 200.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 20.
4. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
5. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The quest for paradise on earth.
(b) The healing mysteries of faith.
(c) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(d) The miraculous power of prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
4. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)