|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The miraculous power of prayer.
(b) The quest for paradise on earth.
(c) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(d) The healing mysteries of faith.
2. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Melrose.
(b) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(c) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(d) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(d) Iambic Pentameter.
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
3. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
4. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
5. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)