|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 120.
(b) About 210.
(c) About 20.
(d) About 200.
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(d) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
3. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(d) Brendan, an Irish monk.
4. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(c) Columba of Iona.
5. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) History, fact, and economic theory.
(b) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(c) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(d) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
3. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
5. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)