|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(b) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(c) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(d) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "Lives of the Abbots."
4. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(b) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
(c) At the monastery at Melrose.
(d) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(b) They had no affect on the bishops.
(c) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(d) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
2. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
4. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
5. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)