|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(d) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(b) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(c) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(d) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
4. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(b) Columba of Iona.
5. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(b) The Holy Knights.
(c) The Holy Priesthood.
(d) The Royal Order.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
4. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)