|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The regional bishop.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) A local abbot.
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(b) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(c) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(d) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
3. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) History, fact, and economic theory.
(b) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(c) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(d) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
4. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(c) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
5. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(b) The Holy Knights.
(c) The Holy Priesthood.
(d) The Royal Order.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
2. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
3. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
4. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
5. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)