|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Benedict.
(b) St. Patrick.
(c) St. Ceolfrith.
(d) St. Brendan.
2. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "Lives of the Abbots."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(b) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(c) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
(d) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 120.
(b) About 200.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 20.
Short Answer Questions
1. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
3. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
4. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
5. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)