|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Nobility.
(b) The government.
(c) The Clergy.
(d) The family.
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(b) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
3. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(d) History, fact, and economic theory.
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(b) The quest for paradise on earth.
(c) The healing mysteries of faith.
(d) The miraculous power of prayer.
5. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Political battles against corrupt kings.
(b) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(c) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(d) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)