|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(c) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
2. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government.
(b) The Nobility.
(c) The family.
(d) The Clergy.
3. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) Eddius Stephanus.
(b) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
5. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(a) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(b) Bishop Colman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
3. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
4. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)