|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The healing mysteries of faith.
(b) The miraculous power of prayer.
(c) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(d) The quest for paradise on earth.
2. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) A local abbot.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The regional bishop.
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(d) Political battles against corrupt kings.
4. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(b) Columba of Iona.
5. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(b) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(c) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(d) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
3. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
4. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)