|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(c) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(d) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
2. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Melrose.
(b) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
(c) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(d) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
3. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
(a) The mystical accounting of miracles.
(b) The colorful detail with which the ancient times are reported.
(c) The accurate history of various leaders in the region.
(d) The ideals and the scale of values of "The Age of Bede's" great men.
4. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(c) Bishop Colman.
(d) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 20.
(b) About 120.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 200.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
2. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
4. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)