|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The family.
(b) The government.
(c) The Nobility.
(d) The Clergy.
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and Ireland.
(b) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(c) Rome and Ireland.
(d) England and France.
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 200.
(b) About 120.
(c) About 20.
(d) About 210.
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(b) History, fact, and economic theory.
(c) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(d) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
5. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
(a) The Holy Knights.
(b) The Holy Priesthood.
(d) The Royal Order.
Short Answer Questions
1. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
2. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)