|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(b) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
(c) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(d) At the monastery at Melrose.
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) Rome and Ireland.
(b) England and France.
(c) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(d) England and Ireland.
3. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The regional bishop.
(b) The Cardinals.
(c) The Pope.
(d) A local abbot.
4. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(a) Iambic Pentameter.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
2. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
4. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
5. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)