|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Brendan.
(b) St. Patrick.
(c) St. Ceolfrith.
(d) St. Benedict.
2. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
3. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The sixth and seventh A.D.
(b) The fourth and fifth B.C.
(c) The sixth and seventh B.C.
(d) The fifth and sixth A.D.
4. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and France.
(b) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(c) England and Ireland.
(d) Rome and Ireland.
5. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(d) Political battles against corrupt kings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
3. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)