|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 20.
(b) About 200.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 120.
2. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(c) "Lives of the Abbots."
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid."
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Benedict.
(b) St. Ceolfrith.
(c) St. Brendan.
(d) St. Patrick.
4. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They had no affect on the bishops.
(b) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(c) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(d) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
5. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(b) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(d) Bishop Colman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
2. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
4. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
5. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)