|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and Ireland.
(b) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(c) Rome and Ireland.
(d) England and France.
2. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(d) Iambic Pentameter.
3. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(b) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(c) They had no affect on the bishops.
(d) They diminished the influence of bishops.
4. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
5. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(d) History, fact, and economic theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
3. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
4. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
5. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)