|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(b) They had no affect on the bishops.
(c) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(d) They diminished the influence of bishops.
3. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and France.
(b) Rome and Ireland.
(c) Ireland and The Netherlands.
(d) England and Ireland.
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(c) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(d) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Navigatio".
(b) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(d) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
2. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
4. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
5. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)