|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The family.
(b) The government.
(c) The Nobility.
(d) The Clergy.
2. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(b) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
(c) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(d) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
3. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
(a) The Cardinals.
(b) A local abbot.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The regional bishop.
4. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(a) Iambic Pentameter.
5. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(d) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
2. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
3. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
4. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
5. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)