|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(b) Eddius Stephanus.
(d) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
2. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
3. What institution does Farmer suggest was responsible for the growth of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The Clergy.
(b) The family.
(c) The government.
(d) The Nobility.
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The healing mysteries of faith.
(b) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(c) The quest for paradise on earth.
(d) The miraculous power of prayer.
5. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(a) Iambic Pentameter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
2. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
3. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
4. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
5. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)