Eight Week Quiz D
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Eddius Stephanus: Life of Wilfred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
(a) Physical battles against pagans seeking to dismantle Christian influences.
(b) Economic battles against land owners who sought land on which churches were built.
(c) Spiritual battles against invisible diabolical enemies.
(d) Political battles against corrupt kings.
2. Who granted Wilfrid to preach in his first destination after being chased from his see?
(a) King Perctarit.
(b) King Ecgfrith.
(c) King Aldgisi.
(d) King Dagobert.
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(d) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
4. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(b) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(c) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(d) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
5. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(b) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(c) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(d) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Wilfrid when Stephanus reported he left home to seek the kingdom of Heaven?
2. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
3. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
4. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
5. Who was the king who Stephanus reported to follow Wilfrid's guidance to win victories over the Picts and Mercia?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)