|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A three-year-old child.
(b) His maternal grandfather.
(c) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(d) A solemn old man.
2. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 200.
(b) About 210.
(c) About 120.
(d) About 20.
3. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) Christians of who were served by his ministry.
(b) Christians of future generations.
(c) His father.
(d) Bishop Eadfrid.
4. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) The Gospel of Luke.
(b) St. John the Evangelist.
(c) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
(d) The Epistles of St. Peter.
5. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
2. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
5. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)