|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He invented the scarecrow.
(b) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(c) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(d) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
2. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The healing mysteries of faith.
(b) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(c) The quest for paradise on earth.
(d) The miraculous power of prayer.
3. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(b) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(c) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(d) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
4. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(b) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(c) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(d) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
5. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
(a) Reading and writing.
(b) Games and carefree play.
(c) Praying and Chanting.
(d) Hunting and adventuring.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
2. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
3. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
5. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)