|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
(b) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(c) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(d) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(b) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(c) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(d) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
3. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(c) "The Navigatio".
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid".
4. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(b) He drank the water from a cup.
(c) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
(d) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(b) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(c) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(d) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
2. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
3. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
4. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
5. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)