|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(b) History, fact, and economic theory.
(c) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(d) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
2. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(d) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
3. Who does Farmer credit with writing the earliest "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) An anonymous monk from Lindisfarne.
(c) Eddius Stephanus.
4. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(b) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
(c) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(d) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
5. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
(c) Enfleda, Queen of Northumbria.
(d) Bishop Colman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
2. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
3. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)