|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(a) Iambic Pentameter.
2. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(b) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(c) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(d) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
3. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
(a) The miraculous power of prayer.
(b) The cleansing influence of virtue.
(c) The quest for paradise on earth.
(d) The healing mysteries of faith.
4. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
5. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(b) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
(c) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(d) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
2. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
3. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
4. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
5. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)