|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He invented the scarecrow.
(b) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
(c) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(d) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
2. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(b) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(c) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(d) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
3. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
(b) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
(c) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
(d) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
4. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) St. John the Evangelist.
(b) The Gospel of Luke.
(c) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(d) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
5. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(c) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(d) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
2. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
3. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
4. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
5. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)