|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(c) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(d) "The Navigatio".
2. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The fifth and sixth A.D.
(b) The sixth and seventh B.C.
(c) The sixth and seventh A.D.
(d) The fourth and fifth B.C.
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) His maternal grandfather.
(b) A solemn old man.
(c) A three-year-old child.
(d) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
5. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
(c) Columba of Iona.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
2. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
4. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
5. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)