|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
2. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Ceolfrith.
(b) St. Benedict.
(c) St. Patrick.
(d) St. Brendan.
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(b) Iambic Pentameter.
4. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(b) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
(c) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(d) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Benedict Biscop.
(b) Hereberht, the hermit.
(c) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
2. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
3. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
4. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)