|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(b) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(c) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(d) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They had no affect on the bishops.
(b) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(c) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(d) They diminished the influence of bishops.
3. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(a) Iambic Pentameter.
4. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(b) Eddius Stephanus.
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(c) Benedict Biscop.
(d) Hereberht, the hermit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
2. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
3. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
4. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
5. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)