|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(b) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(c) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(d) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
2. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(c) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(d) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Ceolfrith.
(b) St. Benedict.
(c) St. Brendan.
(d) St. Patrick.
4. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The sixth and seventh A.D.
(b) The sixth and seventh B.C.
(c) The fifth and sixth A.D.
(d) The fourth and fifth B.C.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Navigatio".
(b) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(c) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid".
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
3. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
4. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
5. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)