|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(b) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
(c) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(d) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
2. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
(a) England and Ireland.
(b) England and France.
(c) Rome and Ireland.
(d) Ireland and The Netherlands.
3. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
(a) He invented the scarecrow.
(b) He said, "God will banish your souls to condemnation should you be robbing from His anointed."
(c) He kept a week-long prayer and fast to appeal to God to deliver his crops from the offending birds.
(d) He said, ". . . If God has given you permission, then do as He bade you: if not, be off with you, . . ."
4. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They had no affect on the bishops.
(b) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(c) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(d) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
5. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
(a) Bishop Eadfrid.
(b) His father.
(c) Christians of who were served by his ministry.
(d) Christians of future generations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
2. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
3. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
4. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
5. To what book does Bede refer for support of other angels who rode on horseback?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)