|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) Water he blessed.
(b) A salve brought to him by two otters.
(c) Prayer and fasting.
(d) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
2. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(b) "The History of Abbot Ceolfrith."
(c) "The Life of Cuthbert."
(d) "Lives of the Abbots."
3. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
(a) He brought a sheriff's wife back to life.
(b) He healed a sick boy near death.
(c) He calmed a wind that had nearly blown rafts carrying monks to sea with his prayers.
(d) He healed himself of a lame leg.
4. Why did Bede address his prologue to its named recipient?
(a) To assure future Christians that the church was founded by men of reliable virtue.
(b) To affirm he virtues of Cuthbert to those whom he served.
(c) So the reader would know that the work was undertaken in compliance with the Bishop's wishes.
(d) To show his father that his devotion was being manifested in good works.
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 20.
(b) About 200.
(c) About 120.
(d) About 210.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
2. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
3. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
4. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
5. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)