|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
(b) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
(c) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
(d) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
(a) He received wood from birds and animals to provide for a fire.
(b) He fed the village a healthy stew made from nothing but a pot of water and three round stones.
(c) With prayer he cured a boy that was dying.
(d) He healed a blind man who shared his bread with them.
4. Why did a demon leave the wife of Sheriff Hildmer as he and Cuthbert approached his home, according to Bede?
(a) The demon could not stand the approaching of the Holy Spirit that resided in Cuthbert.
(b) The angels that always walked ahead of Cuthbert battled the angels as the wife of the sheriff slept.
(c) Because the demon realized that God would come at Cuthbert's call.
(d) Because Cuthbert had prayed that God would remove the demon before the Sheriff had returned to his home.
5. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
2. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
4. How many texts does D.H. Farmer report in the Introduction comprise "The Age of Bede"?
5. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)