|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 20.
(b) About 200.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 120.
2. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(d) Eddius Stephanus.
3. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
(b) History, fact, and economic theory.
(c) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(d) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
4. What was the quote from the Psalms that Bede used to support God's hand in the event?
(a) "A wise son accepts his father's discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke."
(b) "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings Thou has perfected praise."
(c) "I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."
(d) "When you walk about they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you."
5. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(b) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(c) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
(d) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
2. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
3. What official does Farmer report presided over the community of monks?
4. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
5. Who did Bede report reviewed and revised his work?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)