|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(d) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
2. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
(a) Prayer and fasting.
(b) Water he blessed.
(c) A poltice delivered to him by an angel on horseback.
(d) A salve brought to him by two otters.
3. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(c) Benedict Biscop.
(d) Hereberht, the hermit.
4. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By an eagle.
(b) By a dog.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By a fawn.
5. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Brendan.
(b) St. Ceolfrith.
(c) St. Benedict.
(d) St. Patrick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
2. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
3. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
4. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
5. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)