|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(c) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
2. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
(a) Two otters.
(b) A fawn.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A dog.
3. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
4. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(b) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(c) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
(d) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
5. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 200.
(b) About 20.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 120.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
2. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
3. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
4. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
5. Who does Farmer claim enabled Wilfred to travel to visit other churches through Europe?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)