|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the body of Cuthbert buried, according to Bede's record?
(a) In the catacombs of Wearmouth monastery.
(b) In the pasture that he kept during his time as a hermit.
(c) In a stone coffin on the right side of the altar in the church of the Blessed Apostle Peter.
(d) At the bottom of the lake where he kept many prayer vigils.
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Brendan.
(b) St. Ceolfrith.
(c) St. Patrick.
(d) St. Benedict.
4. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
(a) Fact, fantasy, and literary borrowing.
(b) Intrigue, sound doctrine, and drama.
(c) History, fact, and economic theory.
(d) Fantasy, doctrine, and mystery.
5. How does Bede claim Christian converts profaned their faith in Chapter 9?
(a) With their ill-gotten gains.
(b) With their sloth.
(c) With the coarse language.
(d) With their works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of battles does Farmer report the church leaders in "The Age of Bede" fought?
2. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
3. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
4. How did Cuthbert respond to converts who were falling away from the faith, according to Bede?
5. What does Bede report Cuthbert used to cure a sick servant to a bodyguard of King Ecgfrith?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)