|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
(a) They strengthened the bishops by collecting indulgences for them.
(b) They diminished the influence of bishops.
(c) The provided the channels for bishops to influence the population.
(d) They had no affect on the bishops.
2. Which Old Testament prophet does Bede first quote in the first paragraph of Chapter One?
3. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
(a) The government would raise taxes to support the construction of monasteries.
(b) Clergy would evangelize pagans who would give to support the construction of monasteries.
(c) Nobles would provide land and funding for construction of monasteries.
(d) When a family would convert to Christianity, it would remain together as a group and convert their homes into monasteries.
4. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
(a) By a dog.
(b) By a fawn.
(c) By two otters.
(d) By an eagle.
5. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
(a) The Sacraments, baptism, and confession.
(b) Monasticism and the primacy of the spiritual.
(c) The presbytery and the Holy Roman Empire.
(d) Indulgences, monasticism, and chanting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
2. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
3. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
4. Why was Cuthbert inspired to rise from his sickbed in Chapter 8, according to Bede?
5. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)