|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Brendan's most important monasteries, according to Farmer?
(a) Clonfert, Annadown, Inishadroum, and Ardfert.
(b) Northumbria, Whitby, Inishadroum, and Jarrow.
(c) Wearmouth, Jarrow, Lindisfarne, and Melrose.
(d) Annadown, Christendom, Confert, and Melrose.
2. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A three-year-old child.
(b) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(c) A solemn old man.
(d) His maternal grandfather.
3. What does Bede claim Cuthbert did to convert water to wine as he stayed at a convent in Tyne?
(a) He spent a night's prayer vigil in a nearby lake.
(b) He performed a wedding and asked for God's provisions over the reception.
(c) He drank the water from a cup.
(d) He dipped the hem of his garment in a cask of water.
4. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
(a) At the monastery at St. Maximin.
(b) At the monastery at Wearmouth.
(c) At the monastery at Melrose.
(d) At the monastery at Inishadroum.
5. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The sixth and seventh A.D.
(b) The fifth and sixth A.D.
(c) The sixth and seventh B.C.
(d) The fourth and fifth B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Bede write the prologue to his "Life of Cuthbert"?
2. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
3. What term does Farmer use to identify a community of monks?
4. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
5. What effect did abbots in Ireland have on the influence of bishops, according to Farmer?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)