|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Farmer claim to be the name of the author of the "Navigatio"?
(b) Eddius Stephanus.
2. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
(a) He became an usher in the Holy See.
(b) He was appointed Bishop.
(c) He became a priest.
(d) He became a hermit.
3. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(b) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
(c) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(d) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
4. After he listened to the chastisement, what does Bede report to be Cuthbert's response?
(a) He began studying writing more seriously to produce works fit for public consumption.
(b) He began working harder on his chants to serve the worship needs of his town.
(c) He forsook foolish games immediately and showed himself to be more mature and earnest.
(d) He stopped spending so much time adventuring and devoted himself more seriously to studying the Bible.
5. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(b) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
(c) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
(d) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
2. What miracle did Cuthbert perform when he brought the Holy Ghost to a village that could only provide tents for him and his retinue?
3. Farmer asserts that the "Navigatio" is a fascinating mixture of what?
4. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
5. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)