|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
(b) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(c) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(d) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
2. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) Hereberht, the hermit.
(b) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(c) Benedict Biscop.
3. What were two things that Bede said he avoided in the prologue?
(a) Ambiguity and hair-splitting.
(b) Criticism and pessimism.
(c) Judgementalism and piety.
(d) Doctrine and legalism.
4. How was Cuthbert's Friday fast broken on one occasion at the vesper's hour according to Bede?
(a) An angel disgused as an old man fixed him a meal of rice and cakes.
(b) Birds brought him bread from a far land.
(c) Otters brought him a meal of fish from the sea.
(d) Cuthbert's horse pulled on a straw from the roof where he rested that was connected to a bundle of food from God.
5. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) The village doctor.
(b) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(c) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(d) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
2. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
3. Which cleric does Farmer identify as coming from Northumbria and trained at Melrose?
4. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
5. For what two countries does Farmer claim "The Age of Bede" to be an important source of early Christian Church history?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)