|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What text does Bede report that Boisil recommended to Cuthbert?
(a) St. John the Evangelist.
(b) The Gospel of Luke.
(c) The Epistles of St. Peter.
(d) The Epistle of St. James, the brother of Jesus.
2. Which of the works in "The Age of Bede" does Farmer claim was popular during the Middle Ages?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid."
(b) "Voyage of St. Brendan."
(c) " The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow."
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert."
3. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(b) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
(c) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(d) The village doctor.
4. What came of a phantom fire that came upon a village while Bede reports that Cuthbert was teaching on the distractions of the devil?
(a) They disappeared into thin air as Cuthbert prayed.
(b) An angel extinguished the flames with a mighty blow of his trumpet.
(c) God brought a torrent of rain that extinguished the phantom.
(d) Strong winds blew the fires away as soon as Cuthbert prayed for deliverance.
5. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Cuthbert".
(b) "The Navigatio".
(c) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(d) "The Life of Wilfrid".
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Farmer, each of the saints profiled in "The Age of Bede" were pioneers of what important church institutions?
2. Why does Farmer credit this institution with the spread of monasteries in Ireland?
3. Where does Farmer claim that the earliest surviving manuscript of "Navigatio" was written?
4. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
5. What does Farmer report came of Cuthbert after he spent many years in a monastery?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)