|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
(a) Iambic Pentameter.
2. Which Northumbrian cleric does Farmer record as being trained in Lindisfarne?
3. Who does Farmer report to be the earliest monk of the British Isles?
(a) Brendan, an Irish monk.
(b) Benedict, a Roman bishop.
(c) Cuthbert, a hermit of Lindisfarne.
(d) Ceolfrith, a monk of Wearmouth.
4. Who does Bede report gave Cuthbert a cure for a tumor on his knee?
(a) An angel dressed in white riding a horse.
(b) An angel carrying a gold trumpet.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) Three strangers who were travelling through his town.
5. What was the result of the prayers Cuthbert led while he and two brethren were stranded during a sea voyage without provisions?
(a) God ended the storm and provided a passing ship to carry them to their destination.
(b) They were provided with dolphin meat and calm seas.
(c) Angels mended their ship while the two brethren slept and Cuthbert kept a prayer vigil.
(d) A whale came to deliver them to their destination.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Latin manuscripts of this document does Farmer claim still exists?
2. What animal does Bede claim ministered to Cuthbert after he spent a night in prayer in the water off the sea shore?
3. What does Farmer claim draws readers across the ages to the lives profiled in "The Age of Bede"?
4. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
5. How does Bede claim Cuthbert kept birds from eating the barley crop he grew as he lived in isolation as a monk?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)