|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, The Anonymous History of Abbot Ceolfrith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Irish apostle, according to Farmer, became famous for the founding of the Bobbio and Saint-Gall monasteries.
2. Who welcomed Ceolfrith in Gaul, according to the anonymous author?
(a) King Hilperic.
(b) King Aldfrid.
(c) King Ecgfrith.
(d) King Egfrid.
3. Who does Bede claim first chastised Cuthbert for his idleness and his indulgences?
(a) A neighbor who caught him in a prank.
(b) His maternal grandfather.
(c) A solemn old man.
(d) A three-year-old child.
4. What does Farmer claim to be the document that the earliest monk wrote?
(a) "The Life of Wilfrid".
(b) "The Navigatio".
(c) "The Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow".
(d) "The Life of Cuthbert".
5. To whom did Cuthbert prophesy his own death, according to Bede?
(a) The residents on the island Lindisfarne.
(b) Hereberht, the hermit.
(c) Benedict Biscop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unique collection does Bede write that Benedict brought to England from his fifth trip to Rome?
2. In what literary form does Farmer claim Bede's "Life of Cuthbert" is written?
3. From what royal family does Bede claim Benedict descended?
4. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
5. How many total years does the anonymous author report that Ceolfrith ruled separately over the monasteries of St. Peter and St. Paul?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)