Four Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Bede, Life of Cuthbert.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The saints who are detailed in "The Age of Bede" lived in what two centuries according to Farmer?
(a) The fourth and fifth B.C.
(b) The sixth and seventh A.D.
(c) The fifth and sixth A.D.
(d) The sixth and seventh B.C.
2. What does Bede claim came of the person to whom Cuthbert prophesied his death?
(a) Cuthbert blessed him and he lived many years after receiving the prophesy.
(b) He was made abbot of lindisfarne.
(c) He died at the same time as Cuthbert.
(d) He passed the story of Cuthbert's death to Bede.
3. How many years does Farmer claim had passed before the biography of Brendan had first appeared?
(a) About 20.
(b) About 200.
(c) About 210.
(d) About 120.
4. Whose record of Cuthbert's death did Bede use?
(a) Herefrith, a devout priest and abbot of Lindisfarne.
(b) Wilfrid who asked Bede to take a pilgrimage with him to Rome.
(c) Benedict who was a close friend of Cuthbert.
(d) Hwaetbehrt who succeeded him as abbot.
5. What principal apostle of Ireland does Farmer claim encouraged monasticism for men and women?
(a) St. Patrick.
(b) St. Benedict.
(c) St. Brendan.
(d) St. Ceolfrith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first miracle that Bede reports that Cuthbert performed?
2. Which document by Bede, according to Farmer, acts as a biography and a local history?
3. What did Bede claim to be Cuthbert's preoccupation when he was still eight years old?
4. What does Farmer identify as the basic theme of the "Navigatio"?
5. As Cuthbert was traveling with a boy during a preaching tour in Chapter 12, how did Bede report that Cuthbert prophesied their food would be provided?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)