|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jefferson step down as secretary of state?
2. When was the Consular Convention with France that Jefferson discussed in a letter to Adams?
3. What was Jefferson's opinion of Adams' philosophy of government, in Chapter 8?
4. How interested in politics were Adams and Jefferson later in life?
5. What year was the "revolution" that the differences in the rival parties were leading to, in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Federalist party and the Republican party had some common goals, but different ideas about how to achieve them.
1) Explain the main positions of the Federalist party, its members, and their view of America.
2) Explain the main positions of the Republican party, its members, and their view of America.
2) Analyze the philosophical differences of Adams and Jefferson and the parties they represented.
Essay Topic 2
The whale fishery market was an area that Adams and Jefferson focused on during their diplomacy.
1) Describe the whale-fishery markets before, during, and after the Revolution.
2) Explain why the whale-fishery market and its products were important to Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the approach that Adams and Jefferson used in dealing with the whale-fishery market and how trade was restored.
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Paine's Rights of Man divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion and political views.
1) Explain Paine's message in Rights of Man and its relevance to that time in history.
2) Describe the events that added to the divide between Adams and Jefferson in their opinions of Rights of Man.
3) Analyze the reasons behind the views of Adams and Jefferson and what they indicated for both of their individual political positions.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)