|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adams and Jefferson blame Napoleon for?
2. In Chapter 10, how was Jefferson's outlook on the future dealings with aristocracy?
3. What caused Adams to be angry with Jefferson before they reconciled?
4. What aspects of history did Adams and Jefferson emphasize in their letters?
5. What was Dr. Rush's view of the estrangement of Adams and Jefferson?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adams and Jefferson refer to their illnesses in the 1818 letters?
2. How did Jefferson respond to Adams' analysis of aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
3. What interests did Adams and Jefferson have in the later years of their correspondence?
4. How did Adams and Jefferson describe the world in their later letters?
5. What tested the friendship of Adams and Jefferson in 1813?
6. How did Adams and Jefferson approach political topics in their renewed correspondence?
7. What did Adams send to Jefferson to renew their correspondence in 1812?
8. How did Abigail resume her correspondence with Jefferson?
9. Who won the elections where Adams and Jefferson faced each other, and what did Adams do after hearing the results of the second election, in Chapter 7?
10. How was Adams' political work misinterpreted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ways that Jefferson became involved with education, the design that he had for public school systems and universities, and the subjects that he and Adams thought should be taught. Also, provide a comparison of their idea of education and the current educational system of the country.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle the development of the representative style of government, why Adams and Jefferson wanted the American people to understand how it worked, and how their reflection of Independence and American Revolution included the preservation of certain documents that would ensure the continued prosperity of the United States.
Essay Topic 3
As diplomats, Adams and Jefferson tried to negotiate an association with Britain and France, with much different results.
1) Describe the intent of the negotiations with Britain and France.
2) Explain the reasons why Britain and France had a different view of their negotiations with Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the effect that France and Britain had on the development of trade and commerce in the United States.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)