|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite the Wars, what did Adams and Jefferson think about the century?
2. Where did Jefferson live after retiring from the secretary of state position?
3. Who stopped the correspondence, at the end of Chapter 8?
4. How many pieces of "Homespun" did Adams send in a letter to Jefferson?
5. Why did the friendship between Adams and Jefferson begin to strain severely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference of opinion did Adams and Jefferson have about Thomas Paine's Rights of Man?
2. Why was Adams skeptical and concerned about aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
3. Who was Dr. Rush and why did he help Adams and Jefferson reconcile their differences?
4. What opinions did Adams and Jefferson have about the post-war conditions, in Chapter 12?
5. Who won the elections where Adams and Jefferson faced each other, and what did Adams do after hearing the results of the second election, in Chapter 7?
6. How did Adams and Jefferson describe the world in their later letters?
7. In Chapter 10, which source of information did Adams inform Jefferson he had given up and why?
8. Why did Jefferson write to Adams after the election?
9. What were Adams and Jefferson trying preserve, at the end of Chapter 11?
10. What interests did Adams and Jefferson have in the later years of their correspondence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ways that Jefferson became involved with education, the design that he had for public school systems and universities, and the subjects that he and Adams thought should be taught. Also, provide a comparison of their idea of education and the current educational system of the country.
Essay Topic 2
As diplomats, Adams and Jefferson tried to negotiate an association with Britain and France, with much different results.
1) Describe the intent of the negotiations with Britain and France.
2) Explain the reasons why Britain and France had a different view of their negotiations with Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the effect that France and Britain had on the development of trade and commerce in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict in the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson, including an analysis of their actions before and after the election, and how the letters were used to display their disagreements.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)