|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age was Jefferson before the first academic session began at the University of Virginia?
2. How many differences were resolved between the Adamses and Jefferson, by the end of Chapter 8?
3. What year did the letters in Chapter 9 begin?
4. Overall, how did Adams and Jefferson view the world?
5. When did Jefferson establish the University of Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which aspects of the country and its foundation did Adams and Jefferson think it was important for the American people to understand?
2. What did Adams and Jefferson think about the century's impact on human nature?
3. Which of Jefferson's actions upset the Adamses, in Chapter 8?
4. Why was Adams skeptical and concerned about aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
5. Who won the elections where Adams and Jefferson faced each other, and what did Adams do after hearing the results of the second election, in Chapter 7?
6. How did Jefferson become involved with education in Virginia?
7. What tested the friendship of Adams and Jefferson in 1813?
8. Why did Abigail write to Jefferson in 1804?
9. What interests did Adams and Jefferson have in the later years of their correspondence?
10. In Chapter 10, which source of information did Adams inform Jefferson he had given up and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the aspects of aristocracy, why it was considered a threat to freedom, and the outlook of Adams and Jefferson on the ways to limit aristocracy.
Essay Topic 2
The whale fishery market was an area that Adams and Jefferson focused on during their diplomacy.
1) Describe the whale-fishery markets before, during, and after the Revolution.
2) Explain why the whale-fishery market and its products were important to Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the approach that Adams and Jefferson used in dealing with the whale-fishery market and how trade was restored.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ways that Jefferson became involved with education, the design that he had for public school systems and universities, and the subjects that he and Adams thought should be taught. Also, provide a comparison of their idea of education and the current educational system of the country.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)