|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which month was the last letter in Chapter 10 written?
2. What was Dr. Rush's view of the estrangement of Adams and Jefferson?
3. How did Adams and Jefferson remember their revolutionary days in their later letters?
4. When was the last letter in Chapter 8 written?
5. Which documents did Adams and Jefferson want to preserve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interests did Adams and Jefferson have in the later years of their correspondence?
2. How did Jefferson respond to Adams' analysis of aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
3. What opinions did Adams and Jefferson have about the post-war conditions, in Chapter 12?
4. How did Jefferson become involved with education in Virginia?
5. Why was Adams skeptical and concerned about aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
6. How was Adams' political work misinterpreted?
7. What did Adams and Jefferson think about the century's impact on human nature?
8. When did Adams and Jefferson pass away, and what thoughts did they have about their lives?
9. What did Adams realize about aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
10. Who was Dr. Rush and why did he help Adams and Jefferson reconcile their differences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writing styles of Adams and Jefferson revealed a lot about both individuals and the times in which they lived.
1) Describe the writing style, handwriting, spellings, grammar, and phrasing in the letters.
2) Explain the advantages and/or disadvantages of the writing style in the 1700s/1800s.
3) Analyze the current writing styles, and the similarities and changes in the English language of now and when Adams and Jefferson corresponded.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict in the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson, including an analysis of their actions before and after the election, and how the letters were used to display their disagreements.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the extent of the diplomatic experiences of Adams and Jefferson, including the effect the experiences had on their future political views and positions.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)