|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adams and Jefferson think about their past differences later in life?
2. What was Dr. Rush's view of the estrangement of Adams and Jefferson?
3. Based on Adams' explanation, when did aristocracies exist?
4. Which state's Compromise of 1820 concerned Adams and Jefferson, in Chapter 12?
5. How did Adams and Jefferson remember their revolutionary days in their later letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Adams skeptical and concerned about aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
2. Which of Jefferson's actions upset the Adamses, in Chapter 8?
3. When did Adams and Jefferson pass away, and what thoughts did they have about their lives?
4. What did Adams send to Jefferson to renew their correspondence in 1812?
5. Which aspects of the country and its foundation did Adams and Jefferson think it was important for the American people to understand?
6. How did Jefferson become involved with education in Virginia?
7. How did Adams and Jefferson refer to their illnesses in the 1818 letters?
8. How did Adams and Jefferson approach political topics in their renewed correspondence?
9. How did Adams and Jefferson find their financial situations later in their lives?
10. How did Jefferson respond to Adams' analysis of aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the extent of the diplomatic experiences of Adams and Jefferson, including the effect the experiences had on their future political views and positions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the interference of Britain with the interference of the Barbary pirates in the trade of the United States with other countries.
Essay Topic 3
The writing styles of Adams and Jefferson revealed a lot about both individuals and the times in which they lived.
1) Describe the writing style, handwriting, spellings, grammar, and phrasing in the letters.
2) Explain the advantages and/or disadvantages of the writing style in the 1700s/1800s.
3) Analyze the current writing styles, and the similarities and changes in the English language of now and when Adams and Jefferson corresponded.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)