|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Consular Convention with France that Jefferson discussed in a letter to Adams?
2. What did Jefferson do to upset the Adamses?
3. What year did the letters in Chapter 9 begin?
4. What was the number of letters exchanged by Adams and Jefferson by 1820?
5. When was the last letter in Chapter 8 written?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, which source of information did Adams inform Jefferson he had given up and why?
2. How was Adams' political work misinterpreted?
3. What suggestions for education were discussed, in Chapter 12?
4. What interests did Adams and Jefferson have in the later years of their correspondence?
5. How did Adams and Jefferson approach political topics in their renewed correspondence?
6. How did the correspondence of 1804 stop?
7. Why did Jefferson write to Adams after the election?
8. How did Abigail resume her correspondence with Jefferson?
9. Why did Abigail write to Jefferson in 1804?
10. What did Adams realize about aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the perceived "radical" element in the views of Adams and Jefferson, the source of the label, their opinions of moderates of the time, and the reasons supporting their views. Also, provide an analysis of how the meaning of the term "radical" has been applied to other people or issues in the country.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the extent of the diplomatic experiences of Adams and Jefferson, including the effect the experiences had on their future political views and positions.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of friendship in The Adams-Jefferson Letters and how the friendship of Adams and Jefferson endured through time, tests, and silence.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)