|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which month was the last letter in Chapter 10 written?
2. Despite the Wars, what did Adams and Jefferson think about the century?
3. Where did Jefferson live after retiring from the secretary of state position?
4. Which role did Adams and Jefferson think education had in government?
5. Based on Adams' explanation, when did aristocracies exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Adams and Jefferson think about the century's impact on human nature?
2. When did Adams and Jefferson pass away, and what thoughts did they have about their lives?
3. How did Adams and Jefferson find their financial situations later in their lives?
4. What did Adams send to Jefferson to renew their correspondence in 1812?
5. What suggestions for education were discussed, in Chapter 12?
6. Why did Abigail write to Jefferson in 1804?
7. What were Adams and Jefferson trying preserve, at the end of Chapter 11?
8. How did Adams and Jefferson refer to their illnesses in the 1818 letters?
9. How did Abigail resume her correspondence with Jefferson?
10. How did the correspondence of 1804 stop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Paine's Rights of Man divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion and political views.
1) Explain Paine's message in Rights of Man and its relevance to that time in history.
2) Describe the events that added to the divide between Adams and Jefferson in their opinions of Rights of Man.
3) Analyze the reasons behind the views of Adams and Jefferson and what they indicated for both of their individual political positions.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the aspects of aristocracy, why it was considered a threat to freedom, and the outlook of Adams and Jefferson on the ways to limit aristocracy.
Essay Topic 3
The whale fishery market was an area that Adams and Jefferson focused on during their diplomacy.
1) Describe the whale-fishery markets before, during, and after the Revolution.
2) Explain why the whale-fishery market and its products were important to Adams and Jefferson.
3) Analyze the approach that Adams and Jefferson used in dealing with the whale-fishery market and how trade was restored.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)