|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspects of history did Adams and Jefferson emphasize in their letters?
2. Who stopped the correspondence, at the end of Chapter 8?
3. Which professional school subjects were included, in the letters of Chapter 12?
4. Which one of the following was not included in the description of Dr. Rush?
5. When was the Consular Convention with France that Jefferson discussed in a letter to Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Adams and Jefferson refer to their illnesses in the 1818 letters?
2. How was Adams' political work misinterpreted?
3. How did Jefferson become involved with education in Virginia?
4. Who won the elections where Adams and Jefferson faced each other, and what did Adams do after hearing the results of the second election, in Chapter 7?
5. What did Adams realize about aristocracy, in Chapter 10?
6. When did Adams and Jefferson pass away, and what thoughts did they have about their lives?
7. How did Adams and Jefferson approach political topics in their renewed correspondence?
8. Why did Abigail write to Jefferson in 1804?
9. How did Abigail resume her correspondence with Jefferson?
10. What opinions did Adams and Jefferson have about the post-war conditions, in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abigail Adams was a key person in the life of John Adams and his correspondence with Jefferson.
1) Describe three characteristics of Abigail that distinguished her from other women during that time.
2) Explain why Abigail was admired by many of the people living in her time.
3) Analyze Abigail's contributions to the country and Adams' correspondence with Jefferson.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the irony in the European response to the Barbary piracy, including the reasons for it, and the difference in the way the United States responded to the same threat, as well as the past and present differences in the U.S. and Europe.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of friendship in The Adams-Jefferson Letters and how the friendship of Adams and Jefferson endured through time, tests, and silence.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)