|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alarmed Adams and Jefferson about the looting by the Barbary States?
(a) The lack of solutions to stop it.
(b) The Europeans' encouragement of it.
(c) The lack of awareness of it.
(d) The Europeans' tolerance of it.
2. When was Adams released from his position as diplomat?
(a) Fall of 1788.
(b) Fall of 1789.
(c) Spring of 1789.
(d) Spring of 1788.
3. When did Adams think material improvements were changing people?
(a) Before the War of 1812.
(b) Both during and after the War of 1812.
(c) During the War of 1812.
(d) After the War of 1812.
4. When did Adams and Jefferson meet to talk about a new loan for the U.S.?
(a) Early 1789.
(b) Late 1789.
(c) Late 1788.
(d) Early 1788.
5. Why was the whale fishery lowered during the War of Independence?
(a) Its supplies were limited.
(b) Its supplies were unavailable.
(c) Its markets shrank.
(d) Its markets expanded too quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vergennes lend to the U.S.?
2. When did Richard Henry Lee propose the resolution that Congress should secede from Britain?
3. Where was Jefferson the governor?
4. What did Adams and Jefferson use to support their positions in the letters?
5. What was the name of Jefferson's daughter that was sent to England to study with Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were Adams and Jefferson during the Federal Convention, and what was their opinion of it?
2. How did Adams and Jefferson describe the world in their later letters?
3. What tested the friendship of Adams and Jefferson in 1813?
4. What was the irony of the European position on the Barbary pirates?
5. What were Adams and Jefferson trying preserve, at the end of Chapter 11?
6. Which aspects of the country and its foundation did Adams and Jefferson think it was important for the American people to understand?
7. What was Jefferson's opinion of the Algerian government and why?
8. How and why did Adams leave his position as diplomat in London?
9. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's appointment as a diplomat in France?
10. How did Adams develop a positive association with the Dutch, in Chapter 2?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)