|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
(a) January, 1774.
(b) February, 1774.
(c) January, 1775.
(d) February, 1775.
2. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
(a) They resented Britain's politics.
(b) They resented Britain's policies with the U.S.
(c) They resented Britain's navigation acts.
(d) They resented Britain's economic acts.
3. How was Jefferson received in the England court as he tried to secure a commercial treaty?
4. Where was Jefferson the governor?
5. What things did Jefferson think governed Algiers?
(a) Money and fear.
(b) Fear and cowardice.
(c) Money, fear, and cowardice.
(d) Money and cowardice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age was Jefferson when he met Adams?
2. Where did Adams go to help secure formal recognition of American independence?
3. In 1784, how much experience did Adams have in diplomacy?
4. What did Adams caution Jefferson about at the end of Chapter 3?
5. How many times did Jefferson mention Cosway in his letters to Abigail Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the U.S. lose a strategic link to France in 1787?
2. How did whale-oil fishery become an issue again in 1788?
3. Why did Adams move to London and what reaction did he receive from the British?
4. What was Jefferson's opinion of the Algerian government and why?
5. Why are the Federalists no longer a political party?
6. How did Adams respond to a meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
7. Which concerns did Adams and Jefferson have about Independence and liberty at the end of Chapter 1?
8. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's appointment as a diplomat in France?
9. What caused Adams and Jefferson to focus on the whale fishery markets, in Chapter 3?
10. What role did Abigail Adams have in the letters?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)