|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Adams when he met Jefferson?
(a) Thirty nine.
(b) Thirty two.
(c) Thirty four.
(d) Thirty seven.
2. When did Jefferson join Adams and Benjamin Franklin in France?
3. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
(a) Speaker of the house.
(b) Secretary of state.
(c) Chief advisor.
(d) Secretary of Treasury.
4. Where did Adams observe Jefferson's presidency?
(a) New York.
5. What alarmed Adams and Jefferson about the looting by the Barbary States?
(a) The lack of awareness of it.
(b) The Europeans' tolerance of it.
(c) The Europeans' encouragement of it.
(d) The lack of solutions to stop it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Adams and Jefferson have little tolerance for moderates?
2. Why was the whale fishery lowered during the War of Independence?
3. When did Jefferson return to France in Chapter 4 and begin writing to Adams again?
4. What happened to the interest payments on the debt that America had acquired during the war to France?
5. When did Adams and Jefferson work well together at the Continental Congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of Adams' loan negotiations with the Dutch?
2. How were Adams and Jefferson described in the Introduction?
3. What role did Abigail Adams have in the letters?
4. How did Adams respond to a meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
5. Why were Adams and Jefferson considered to be radical by some people, in Chapter 1?
6. Why did Jefferson stop writing to Abigail, in Chapter 5?
7. Which two options did Adams and Jefferson give to Congress about dealing with the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
8. What did Adams caution Jefferson about, at the end of Chapter 3?
9. Which difficulties did Adams and Jefferson have in negotiating with Britain, and how did they respond to them?
10. How and why did Adams leave his position as diplomat in London?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)