|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
2. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
(a) They resented Britain's politics.
(b) They resented Britain's economic acts.
(c) They resented Britain's navigation acts.
(d) They resented Britain's policies with the U.S.
3. What impressed Adams about Jefferson?
(a) His writing ability.
(b) His oratorical ability and temperament.
(c) His writing ability and temperament.
(d) His oratorical ability.
4. Why did Adams and Jefferson have little tolerance for moderates?
(a) They thought the moderates were trying to stop the war.
(b) They thought the moderates did not love liberty enough.
(c) They thought the moderates were wrong about every issue.
(d) They thought the moderates were dangerous to the country.
5. At Adams' request, what did Jefferson send during negotiations with the Portuguese?
(a) A list of three commodities that could be exchanged.
(b) A vague list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(c) A list of two commodities that could be exchanged.
(d) A detailed list of commodities that could be exchanged.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Adams the Commissioner to France?
2. How long were Adams and Jefferson apart before they met on August 7th of 1784?
3. What year was the treaty between Algeria and the U.S.?
4. Which years were the letters written that are included in Chapter 1?
5. What was the name of Jefferson's daughter that was sent to England to study with Abigail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the irony of the European position on the Barbary pirates?
2. Why did Adams move to London and what reaction did he receive from the British?
3. Which concerns did Adams and Jefferson have about their diplomatic negotiations, in Chapter 3?
4. How did whale-oil fishery become an issue again in 1788?
5. What was Adams' opinion of Jefferson's presidency?
6. How was the Constitution written?
7. How did Adams and Jefferson meet?
8. For which qualities did Adams and Jefferson respect each other?
9. Which difficulties did Adams and Jefferson have in negotiating with Britain, and how did they respond to them?
10. What did Adams caution Jefferson about, at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)