|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Abigail's correspondence with Jefferson resume?
(a) Abigail added a postscript to one of her husband's letters.
(b) Abigail wrote Jefferson a letter separate from her husband's letters.
(c) Adams informed Jefferson in a letter to resume writing to his wife.
(d) Jefferson wrote Abigail a letter.
2. As Adams recognized, where did aristocracies exist?
(a) Most places.
(b) Only certain places.
(c) Not very many places.
(d) All places.
3. Overall, how did Adams and Jefferson view the world?
(a) As generating equal amounts of pleasure and pain.
(b) As generating more pleasure than pain.
(c) As generating pleasure in order to replace pain.
(d) As generating only pleasure.
4. What year was the "revolution" that the differences in the rival parties were leading to, in Chapter 8?
5. What year did Adams and Jefferson become sick?
6. How many abdications did Napoleon have?
7. Why were few letters written between Adams and Jefferson early in their association?
(a) They preferred conversations.
(b) They did not have much to say.
(c) They did not know each other's addresses.
(d) They spoke with each other frequently.
8. What was Dr. Rush's view of the estrangement of Adams and Jefferson?
(a) He thought it was necessary for the two to become better friends.
(b) He thought it was most likely irreconcilable.
(c) He thought it was a tragedy.
(d) He thought it was necessary for the two to understand each other better.
9. How many letters were exchanged between Adams and Jefferson between 1796 and 1801?
(a) A couple.
(d) A few.
10. When did Adams think even an aristocracy of virtue could be corrupted?
(a) If elected or unelected.
(b) If elected for long periods of time.
(c) If elected.
(d) If elected for short periods of time.
11. Besides the depression, what type of problems were Adams and Jefferson following in England during the post-war world after 1815?
(a) Social, economic, and political.
12. Why did the friendship between Adams and Jefferson begin to strain severely?
(a) They were writing too many letters.
(b) They were not writing enough letters.
(c) They were in disagreement over the country's overall direction.
(d) They were members of different parties.
13. What did Adams discover that tested his friendship with Jefferson, after their correspondence had resumed?
(a) Criticisms that Jefferson had suppoorted months earlier.
(b) Criticisms that Jefferson had supported years earlier.
(c) Criticisms that Jefferson had made years earlier.
(d) Criticisms that Jefferson had made months earlier.
14. What year did both Adams and Jefferson pass away?
15. What assumption was the starting point of Adams' work about political theory?
(a) Laws were not irreversible.
(b) Laws were irreversible.
(c) Politicians were not self-interested.
(d) Politicians were self-interested.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Thomas Paine's published works divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion?
2. Which of the following did Adams give up in order to focus on the classics?
3. How often did Adams and Jefferson write as they aged?
4. What aspects of history did Adams and Jefferson emphasize in their letters?
5. What was Jefferson's opinion of Adams' philosophy of government, in Chapter 8?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)