|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dr. Rush do in an attempt to convince Adams and Jefferson to begin corresponding again?
(a) He wrote letters only to Jefferson.
(b) He wrote letters to the other friends of Adams and Jefferson.
(c) He wrote letters to both Adams and Jefferson.
(d) He wrote letters only to Adams.
2. What was taking place because of the influence of Adams, Jefferson, and the American Revolution?
(a) Representative government was the only style used in Europe.
(b) Representative government was spreading in Europe and other countries.
(c) Representative government was spreading in Europe.
(d) Representative government was spreading in countries outside of Europe.
3. How many letters were exchanged between Adams and Jefferson between 1796 and 1801?
(a) A couple.
(d) A few.
4. Which one of the following was not included in the description of Dr. Rush?
(a) Writing teacher for both Adams and Jefferson.
(b) Well known doctor.
(c) Mutual friend of Adams and Jefferson.
(d) Signer of the Declaration.
5. What was Jefferson's opinion of Adams' philosophy of government, in Chapter 8?
(a) That he was too complicated.
(b) That he was too elitist.
(c) That he was too vague.
(d) That he was not an elitist.
6. What did Jefferson do to upset the Adamses?
(a) He released Callendar from prison.
(b) He gave Callendar a loan.
(c) He gave Callendar a job.
(d) He transferred Callendar to a better prison.
7. Which month was the last letter in Chapter 10 written?
8. How did Adams and Jefferson think the conditions were in the eighteenth century?
(a) Improved in some ways.
(b) Changed drastically.
(c) Improved for all.
(d) Changed slightly.
9. When did Adams think even an aristocracy of virtue could be corrupted?
(a) If elected for short periods of time.
(b) If elected.
(c) If elected for long periods of time.
(d) If elected or unelected.
10. Which political concern did Adams have, in Chapter 10?
(a) How to end aristocracy.
(b) How to change aristocracy.
(c) How to discourage aristocracy.
(d) How to control aristocracy.
11. What did Jefferson think the electorate had the ability to select?
(a) The wise and experienced.
(b) The good and experienced.
(c) The good, wise, and experienced.
(d) The good and wise.
12. Which year was the last letter in Chapter 11 written?
13. How did Jefferson consider Adams' midnight appointments?
(a) He was unaware of them.
(b) He was furious.
(c) He understood them.
(d) He appreciated them.
14. During the time that Jefferson served as secretary of state, how many letters did he write to Adams about foreign policy?
15. What happened to the letter that Jefferson wrote to congratulate Adams when the election was over, before the results were known?
(a) It was read by Adams quickly.
(b) It was never mailed.
(c) It was lost in the mail.
(d) It was intercepted by Madison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adams and Jefferson think their age would help?
2. How did Abigail's correspondence with Jefferson resume?
3. How did Adams and Jefferson remember their revolutionary days in their later letters?
4. What war was ongoing as Adams and Jefferson began to write to each other again?
5. What year were the letters in Chapter 10 written?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)