|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did Adams and Jefferson write as they aged?
(c) Every day.
(d) Once a week.
2. What year were the letters in Chapter 10 written?
3. Which one of the following was not included in the description of Dr. Rush?
(a) Mutual friend of Adams and Jefferson.
(b) Writing teacher for both Adams and Jefferson.
(c) Signer of the Declaration.
(d) Well known doctor.
4. When did Jefferson step down as secretary of state?
5. Which role did Adams and Jefferson think education had in government?
(a) They thought education was the main ingredient of good government.
(b) They thought good government was impossible without education.
(c) They thought good government could exist permanently without education.
(d) They thought education was essential to good government.
6. Which of the following did Adams give up in order to focus on the classics?
7. What year did Adams and Jefferson become sick?
8. What aspects of history did Adams and Jefferson emphasize in their letters?
(a) The philosophical aspects.
(b) The political aspects.
(c) The economical aspects.
(d) The psychological aspects.
9. When did the letters of 1820 begin?
10. Which year did Adams and Jefferson battle each other for the presidency?
11. As Adams recognized, where did aristocracies exist?
(a) Only certain places.
(b) All places.
(c) Not very many places.
(d) Most places.
12. What did Adams do in response to Jefferson's presidential win?
(a) He appointed a number of Federalists to office before Jefferson became president.
(b) He appointed one Federalist to office before Jefferson became president.
(c) He appointed a number of Federalists to office while Jefferson was president.
(d) He appointed one Federalist to office while Jefferson was President.
13. Overall, how did Adams and Jefferson view the world?
(a) As generating more pleasure than pain.
(b) As generating only pleasure.
(c) As generating equal amounts of pleasure and pain.
(d) As generating pleasure in order to replace pain.
14. Along with languages, math, natural science, medicine, and philosophy, what other subjects did the letters recommend for universities?
(a) Law, government, and political economy.
(b) Government and political economy.
(c) Government and law.
(d) Law and political economy.
15. Which professional school subjects were included, in the letters of Chapter 12?
(a) Military and naval skill, architecture, fine arts, and accounting.
(b) Military and naval skill, architecture, fine arts, and agriculture.
(c) Military and naval skill, astronomy, fine arts, and agriculture.
(d) Military and naval skill, architecture, geology, and agriculture.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned in a letter, which office did John Quincy Adams have before being removed by Jefferson?
2. What did Dr. Rush do in an attempt to convince Adams and Jefferson to begin corresponding again?
3. What was the number of letters exchanged by Adams and Jefferson by 1820?
4. How long did Dr. Rush try to reconcile Adams and Jefferson?
5. Which future system(s) did Jefferson have high hopes for?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)