|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Adams recognized, where did aristocracies exist?
(a) Most places.
(b) Only certain places.
(c) All places.
(d) Not very many places.
2. Based on Adams' explanation, when did aristocracies exist?
(a) In the present.
(b) In the past.
(c) In specific times of the past.
(d) In all times.
3. What year did Adams and Jefferson become sick?
4. During the time that Jefferson served as secretary of state, how many letters did he write to Adams about foreign policy?
5. How did Jefferson consider Adams' midnight appointments?
(a) He appreciated them.
(b) He understood them.
(c) He was unaware of them.
(d) He was furious.
6. How did Adams and Jefferson approach politics in their letters, in Chapter 9?
(a) They did not discuss it at all.
(b) They mostly tried to avoid it.
(c) They only tried to avoid it in the initial letters after the correspondence has resumed.
(d) They discussed it frequently.
7. Which of Thomas Paine's published works divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion?
(a) The Crisis Papers.
(b) Rights of Man.
(c) Common Sense.
(d) Agrarian Justice.
8. When was the first letter written that resumed the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson?
(a) January 1.
(b) December 31.
(c) July 4.
(d) November 24.
9. How did Adams live on his salary throughout his later years?
(b) Exceptionally well.
(c) Fairly well.
(d) Slightly better than average.
10. Why were few letters written between Adams and Jefferson early in their association?
(a) They did not know each other's addresses.
(b) They did not have much to say.
(c) They preferred conversations.
(d) They spoke with each other frequently.
11. What year was the "revolution" that the differences in the rival parties were leading to, in Chapter 8?
12. What did Jefferson think the electorate had the ability to select?
(a) The wise and experienced.
(b) The good and wise.
(c) The good, wise, and experienced.
(d) The good and experienced.
13. Which year was the last letter in Chapter 11 written?
14. Which future system(s) did Jefferson have high hopes for?
(a) Neither public education nor science.
(b) Public education, but not science.
(c) Public education and science.
(d) Science, but not public education.
15. What was Jefferson's response to Abigail's correspondence, in Chapter 8?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was surprised.
(c) He was not surprised.
(d) He was happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month did Jefferson's daughter pass away?
2. When did Adams think even an aristocracy of virtue could be corrupted?
3. When was the Consular Convention with France that Jefferson discussed in a letter to Adams?
4. What did Adams and Jefferson blame Napoleon for?
5. What year were the letters in Chapter 10 written?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)