|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Adams and Jefferson blame Napoleon for?
(a) The commercial interests of other countries.
(b) The commercial interests of the North and South.
(c) The political interests of the West.
(d) The political interests of the East.
2. What assumption was the starting point of Adams' work about political theory?
(a) Laws were irreversible.
(b) Politicians were not self-interested.
(c) Laws were not irreversible.
(d) Politicians were self-interested.
3. How did Adams and Jefferson think the conditions were in the eighteenth century?
(a) Improved in some ways.
(b) Changed drastically.
(c) Improved for all.
(d) Changed slightly.
4. What age was Jefferson before the first academic session began at the University of Virginia?
5. How many letters were exchanged between Adams and Jefferson between 1796 and 1801?
(b) A couple.
(d) A few.
6. What did Dr. Rush do in an attempt to convince Adams and Jefferson to begin corresponding again?
(a) He wrote letters to the other friends of Adams and Jefferson.
(b) He wrote letters only to Jefferson.
(c) He wrote letters only to Adams.
(d) He wrote letters to both Adams and Jefferson.
7. What aspects of history did Adams and Jefferson emphasize in their letters?
(a) The political aspects.
(b) The economical aspects.
(c) The philosophical aspects.
(d) The psychological aspects.
8. What did Jefferson think the electorate had the ability to select?
(a) The good and wise.
(b) The good and experienced.
(c) The wise and experienced.
(d) The good, wise, and experienced.
9. During the time that Jefferson served as secretary of state, how many letters did he write to Adams about foreign policy?
10. When did Jefferson establish the University of Virginia?
11. What year did the letters in Chapter 9 begin?
12. What was Jefferson's response to Abigail's correspondence, in Chapter 8?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was happy.
(c) He was surprised.
(d) He was not surprised.
13. What month did Jefferson's daughter pass away?
14. Which professional school subjects were included, in the letters of Chapter 12?
(a) Military and naval skill, architecture, geology, and agriculture.
(b) Military and naval skill, architecture, fine arts, and accounting.
(c) Military and naval skill, architecture, fine arts, and agriculture.
(d) Military and naval skill, astronomy, fine arts, and agriculture.
15. How did Abigail's correspondence with Jefferson resume?
(a) Abigail wrote Jefferson a letter separate from her husband's letters.
(b) Jefferson wrote Abigail a letter.
(c) Adams informed Jefferson in a letter to resume writing to his wife.
(d) Abigail added a postscript to one of her husband's letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which state's Compromise of 1820 concerned Adams and Jefferson, in Chapter 12?
2. Which cause did Jefferson focus on later in his life?
3. Which of the following did Adams give up in order to focus on the classics?
4. Which of Thomas Paine's published works divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion?
5. How did Adams and Jefferson remember their revolutionary days in their later letters?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)