|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How interested in politics were Adams and Jefferson later in life?
(a) Adams stayed interested in politics, Jefferson did not.
(b) Both Adams and Jefferson stayed interested in poiltics.
(c) Jefferson stayed interested in politics, Adams did not.
(d) Neither Adams nor Jefferson stayed interested in politics.
2. During the time that Jefferson served as secretary of state, how many letters did he write to Adams about foreign policy?
3. Why were few letters written between Adams and Jefferson early in their association?
(a) They preferred conversations.
(b) They spoke with each other frequently.
(c) They did not have much to say.
(d) They did not know each other's addresses.
4. Which of the following did Adams give up in order to focus on the classics?
5. Which year were the letters in Chapter 8 written?
6. As explained in the letters of Chapter 12, what kind of teaching load was preferred for professors?
(a) Light to moderate.
(d) Moderate to heavy.
7. Which year did Adams and Jefferson battle each other for the presidency?
8. In Chapter 10, how was Jefferson's outlook on the future dealings with aristocracy?
(a) He was optimistic.
(b) He was uncertain.
(c) He was skeptical.
(d) He was concerned.
9. When was the Consular Convention with France that Jefferson discussed in a letter to Adams?
10. Overall, how did Adams and Jefferson view the world?
(a) As generating pleasure in order to replace pain.
(b) As generating equal amounts of pleasure and pain.
(c) As generating only pleasure.
(d) As generating more pleasure than pain.
11. What caused Adams to be angry with Jefferson before they reconciled?
(a) Jefferson's association with writers that attacked him and his family.
(b) Jefferson's past remarks about his presidency.
(c) Jefferson's association with writers that attempted to misrepresent his writings.
(d) Jefferson's past remarks about his vice-presidency.
12. When did Jefferson establish the University of Virginia?
13. What happened to the letter that Jefferson wrote to congratulate Adams when the election was over, before the results were known?
(a) It was read by Adams quickly.
(b) It was intercepted by Madison.
(c) It was lost in the mail.
(d) It was never mailed.
14. When did Jefferson step down as secretary of state?
15. When were the public school systems set up in Virginia?
(a) The 1890s.
(b) The 1870s.
(c) The 1880s.
(d) The 1860s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adams do in response to Jefferson's presidential win?
2. Why did the friendship between Adams and Jefferson begin to strain severely?
3. How many abdications did Napoleon have?
4. How did Adams and Jefferson approach politics in their letters, in Chapter 9?
5. Which role did Adams and Jefferson think education had in government?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)