|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the last letter in Chapter 8 written?
2. How did Adams and Jefferson approach politics in their letters, in Chapter 9?
(a) They did not discuss it at all.
(b) They discussed it frequently.
(c) They only tried to avoid it in the initial letters after the correspondence has resumed.
(d) They mostly tried to avoid it.
3. Which documents did Adams and Jefferson want to preserve?
(a) The documents about their correspondence.
(b) The documents about the elections.
(c) The documents about the Congress.
(d) The documents about the revolution.
4. What happened to the letter that Jefferson wrote to congratulate Adams when the election was over, before the results were known?
(a) It was intercepted by Madison.
(b) It was lost in the mail.
(c) It was read by Adams quickly.
(d) It was never mailed.
5. Overall, how did Adams and Jefferson view the world?
(a) As generating equal amounts of pleasure and pain.
(b) As generating only pleasure.
(c) As generating more pleasure than pain.
(d) As generating pleasure in order to replace pain.
6. In Chapter 10, how was Jefferson's outlook on the future dealings with aristocracy?
(a) He was skeptical.
(b) He was optimistic.
(c) He was uncertain.
(d) He was concerned.
7. How did Jefferson consider Adams' midnight appointments?
(a) He understood them.
(b) He was unaware of them.
(c) He was furious.
(d) He appreciated them.
8. What did Jefferson do to upset the Adamses?
(a) He transferred Callendar to a better prison.
(b) He gave Callendar a job.
(c) He gave Callendar a loan.
(d) He released Callendar from prison.
9. What was Jefferson's opinion of Adams' philosophy of government, in Chapter 8?
(a) That he was not an elitist.
(b) That he was too elitist.
(c) That he was too vague.
(d) That he was too complicated.
10. How many letters were exchanged between Adams and Jefferson between 1796 and 1801?
(b) A few.
(c) A couple.
11. Which of Thomas Paine's published works divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion?
(a) Common Sense.
(b) The Crisis Papers.
(c) Rights of Man.
(d) Agrarian Justice.
12. How did Adams and Jefferson remember their revolutionary days in their later letters?
13. As mentioned in a letter, which office did John Quincy Adams have before being removed by Jefferson?
(a) Commissioner of finance.
(b) Commissioner of bankruptcy.
(c) Trade commissioner.
(d) Security commissioner.
14. How long did Dr. Rush try to reconcile Adams and Jefferson?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few years.
15. How did Adams and Jefferson think the conditions were in the eighteenth century?
(a) Changed slightly.
(b) Improved in some ways.
(c) Improved for all.
(d) Changed drastically.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Abigail Adams pass away from typhoid fever?
2. During the time that Jefferson served as secretary of state, how many letters did he write to Adams about foreign policy?
3. What year were the letters in Chapter 10 written?
4. When did Adams think even an aristocracy of virtue could be corrupted?
5. What did Adams do in response to Jefferson's presidential win?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)