|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assumption was the starting point of Adams' work about political theory?
(a) Laws were irreversible.
(b) Politicians were self-interested.
(c) Politicians were not self-interested.
(d) Laws were not irreversible.
2. How many years were covered, by the letters included in Chapter 11?
3. How often did Adams and Jefferson write as they aged?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Every day.
4. What was Jefferson's opinion of Adams' philosophy of government, in Chapter 8?
(a) That he was too elitist.
(b) That he was too complicated.
(c) That he was too vague.
(d) That he was not an elitist.
5. What aspects of history did Adams and Jefferson emphasize in their letters?
(a) The philosophical aspects.
(b) The psychological aspects.
(c) The economical aspects.
(d) The political aspects.
6. When was the Consular Convention with France that Jefferson discussed in a letter to Adams?
7. Which role did Adams and Jefferson think education had in government?
(a) They thought good government could exist permanently without education.
(b) They thought education was essential to good government.
(c) They thought education was the main ingredient of good government.
(d) They thought good government was impossible without education.
8. How long did Dr. Rush try to reconcile Adams and Jefferson?
(a) A few months.
(b) A few years.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few weeks.
9. Despite the Wars, what did Adams and Jefferson think about the century?
(a) That it understood human nature better than previous centuries.
(b) That it treated human nature well.
(c) That it understood human nature well.
(d) That it treated human nature better than previous centuries.
10. Along with languages, math, natural science, medicine, and philosophy, what other subjects did the letters recommend for universities?
(a) Law and political economy.
(b) Government and political economy.
(c) Law, government, and political economy.
(d) Government and law.
11. When was the first letter written that resumed the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson?
(a) November 24.
(b) December 31.
(c) January 1.
(d) July 4.
12. Why did the friendship between Adams and Jefferson begin to strain severely?
(a) They were not writing enough letters.
(b) They were members of different parties.
(c) They were writing too many letters.
(d) They were in disagreement over the country's overall direction.
13. In Chapter 10, how was Adams' outlook on the future dealings with aristocracy?
(a) He was optimisitc.
(b) He was uncertain.
(c) He was concerned.
(d) He was skeptical.
14. As Adams recognized, where did aristocracies exist?
(a) All places.
(b) Only certain places.
(c) Not very many places.
(d) Most places.
15. When did Jefferson step down as secretary of state?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did both Adams and Jefferson consider the possibility of establishing a mutually beneficial association with Britain?
2. Why were few letters written between Adams and Jefferson early in their association?
3. Which cause did Jefferson focus on later in his life?
4. When was the last letter in Chapter 8 written?
5. Which year did Adams and Jefferson battle each other for the presidency?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)