|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Jefferson's response to Abigail's correspondence, in Chapter 8?
(a) He was surprised.
(b) He was happy.
(c) He was confused.
(d) He was not surprised.
2. How long did Dr. Rush try to reconcile Adams and Jefferson?
(a) A few years.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few days.
3. When were the public school systems set up in Virginia?
(a) The 1880s.
(b) The 1870s.
(c) The 1860s.
(d) The 1890s.
4. How long before their deaths did Adams and Jefferson write to each other?
(a) Four months.
(b) One month.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two months.
5. How many letters were exchanged between Adams and Jefferson between 1796 and 1801?
(a) A few.
(c) A couple.
6. What was Dr. Rush's view of the estrangement of Adams and Jefferson?
(a) He thought it was most likely irreconcilable.
(b) He thought it was a tragedy.
(c) He thought it was necessary for the two to understand each other better.
(d) He thought it was necessary for the two to become better friends.
7. Where did Jefferson live after retiring from the secretary of state position?
8. Overall, how did Adams and Jefferson view the world?
(a) As generating equal amounts of pleasure and pain.
(b) As generating pleasure in order to replace pain.
(c) As generating more pleasure than pain.
(d) As generating only pleasure.
9. When did Jefferson step down as secretary of state?
10. Which one of the following was not provided as a reason for Jefferson's monetary issues?
11. What year were the letters in Chapter 10 written?
12. When did the letters of 1820 begin?
13. What happened to the letter that Jefferson wrote to congratulate Adams when the election was over, before the results were known?
(a) It was read by Adams quickly.
(b) It was intercepted by Madison.
(c) It was never mailed.
(d) It was lost in the mail.
14. How did Abigail's correspondence with Jefferson resume?
(a) Adams informed Jefferson in a letter to resume writing to his wife.
(b) Abigail added a postscript to one of her husband's letters.
(c) Abigail wrote Jefferson a letter separate from her husband's letters.
(d) Jefferson wrote Abigail a letter.
15. How did Jefferson consider Adams' midnight appointments?
(a) He appreciated them.
(b) He was furious.
(c) He understood them.
(d) He was unaware of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jefferson's opinion of Adams' philosophy of government, in Chapter 8?
2. Which state's Compromise of 1820 concerned Adams and Jefferson, in Chapter 12?
3. How did the communication between Adams and Jefferson resume?
4. In Chapter 10, how was Jefferson's outlook on the future dealings with aristocracy?
5. What year did Adams and Jefferson become sick?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)