|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides the depression, what type of problems were Adams and Jefferson following in England during the post-war world after 1815?
(a) Social, economic, and political.
2. What was Dr. Rush's view of the estrangement of Adams and Jefferson?
(a) He thought it was a tragedy.
(b) He thought it was necessary for the two to understand each other better.
(c) He thought it was most likely irreconcilable.
(d) He thought it was necessary for the two to become better friends.
3. When was the last letter in Chapter 8 written?
4. How did both Adams and Jefferson consider the possibility of establishing a mutually beneficial association with Britain?
(a) Both Adams and Jefferson were hopeful.
(b) Adams was hopeful, but Jefferson was skeptical.
(c) Jefferson was hopeful, but Adams was skeptical.
(d) Both Adams and Jefferson were skeptical.
5. In Chapter 10, how was Adams' outlook on the future dealings with aristocracy?
(a) He was optimisitc.
(b) He was uncertain.
(c) He was concerned.
(d) He was skeptical.
6. What year did both Adams and Jefferson pass away?
7. Along with languages, math, natural science, medicine, and philosophy, what other subjects did the letters recommend for universities?
(a) Government and political economy.
(b) Law and political economy.
(c) Law, government, and political economy.
(d) Government and law.
8. Which role did Adams and Jefferson think education had in government?
(a) They thought education was essential to good government.
(b) They thought good government could exist permanently without education.
(c) They thought good government was impossible without education.
(d) They thought education was the main ingredient of good government.
9. How did Jefferson consider Adams' midnight appointments?
(a) He was furious.
(b) He understood them.
(c) He was unaware of them.
(d) He appreciated them.
10. What year was the "revolution" that the differences in the rival parties were leading to, in Chapter 8?
11. How did Jefferson react to Adams' election to the vice-presidency?
(a) He was pleased.
(b) He was confused.
(c) He was surprised.
(d) He had no reaction.
12. Which year was the last letter in Chapter 11 written?
13. Which cause did Jefferson focus on later in his life?
(a) Supporting new presidential candidates.
(b) Establishing the University of Virginia.
(c) Updating the Constitution.
(d) Updating the Declaration.
14. Which documents did Adams and Jefferson want to preserve?
(a) The documents about the Congress.
(b) The documents about the elections.
(c) The documents about their correspondence.
(d) The documents about the revolution.
15. As mentioned in a letter, which office did John Quincy Adams have before being removed by Jefferson?
(a) Commissioner of bankruptcy.
(b) Trade commissioner.
(c) Security commissioner.
(d) Commissioner of finance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stopped the correspondence, at the end of Chapter 8?
2. During the time that Jefferson served as secretary of state, how many letters did he write to Adams about foreign policy?
3. How did Adams and Jefferson think the conditions were in the eighteenth century?
4. As explained in the letters of Chapter 12, what kind of teaching load was preferred for professors?
5. What was the number of letters exchanged by Adams and Jefferson by 1820?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)