|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As explained in the letters of Chapter 12, what kind of teaching load was preferred for professors?
(b) Moderate to heavy.
(d) Light to moderate.
2. When did Abigail Adams pass away from typhoid fever?
3. How did Adams live on his salary throughout his later years?
(a) Slightly better than average.
(b) Exceptionally well.
(c) Fairly well.
4. What year did the letters in Chapter 9 begin?
5. Which political concern did Adams have, in Chapter 10?
(a) How to change aristocracy.
(b) How to discourage aristocracy.
(c) How to end aristocracy.
(d) How to control aristocracy.
6. Who stopped the correspondence, at the end of Chapter 8?
(c) Neither Abigail nor Jefferson.
(d) It was mutual.
7. What month did Jefferson's daughter pass away?
8. When was the first letter written that resumed the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson?
(a) December 31.
(b) July 4.
(c) November 24.
(d) January 1.
9. When did Jefferson step down as secretary of state?
10. How did Adams and Jefferson approach politics in their letters, in Chapter 9?
(a) They only tried to avoid it in the initial letters after the correspondence has resumed.
(b) They discussed it frequently.
(c) They mostly tried to avoid it.
(d) They did not discuss it at all.
11. How much time had passed before Abigail wrote Jefferson a letter?
(a) Four and a half years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three and a half years.
12. In Chapter 10, how was Adams' outlook on the future dealings with aristocracy?
(a) He was concerned.
(b) He was skeptical.
(c) He was optimisitc.
(d) He was uncertain.
13. What assumption was the starting point of Adams' work about political theory?
(a) Laws were not irreversible.
(b) Laws were irreversible.
(c) Politicians were self-interested.
(d) Politicians were not self-interested.
14. Along with languages, math, natural science, medicine, and philosophy, what other subjects did the letters recommend for universities?
(a) Law, government, and political economy.
(b) Government and political economy.
(c) Government and law.
(d) Law and political economy.
15. Which of Thomas Paine's published works divided Adams and Jefferson in opinion?
(a) Rights of Man.
(b) Common Sense.
(c) The Crisis Papers.
(d) Agrarian Justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the depression, what type of problems were Adams and Jefferson following in England during the post-war world after 1815?
2. How many letters were exchanged between Adams and Jefferson between 1796 and 1801?
3. How often did Adams and Jefferson write as they aged?
4. How did Adams and Jefferson think the conditions were in the eighteenth century?
5. How many years were covered, by the letters included in Chapter 11?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)