|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Along with languages, math, natural science, medicine, and philosophy, what other subjects did the letters recommend for universities?
(a) Law, government, and political economy.
(b) Law and political economy.
(c) Government and law.
(d) Government and political economy.
2. What was the number of letters exchanged by Adams and Jefferson by 1820?
3. What year were the letters in Chapter 10 written?
4. Why did the friendship between Adams and Jefferson begin to strain severely?
(a) They were members of different parties.
(b) They were writing too many letters.
(c) They were not writing enough letters.
(d) They were in disagreement over the country's overall direction.
5. What was Jefferson's opinion of Adams' philosophy of government, in Chapter 8?
(a) That he was too complicated.
(b) That he was too elitist.
(c) That he was too vague.
(d) That he was not an elitist.
6. How did Jefferson react to Adams' election to the vice-presidency?
(a) He was surprised.
(b) He had no reaction.
(c) He was confused.
(d) He was pleased.
7. How long before their deaths did Adams and Jefferson write to each other?
(a) Three months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Two months.
(d) One month.
8. What year did Adams and Jefferson become sick?
9. Which documents did Adams and Jefferson want to preserve?
(a) The documents about their correspondence.
(b) The documents about the revolution.
(c) The documents about the elections.
(d) The documents about the Congress.
10. What did Adams discover that tested his friendship with Jefferson, after their correspondence had resumed?
(a) Criticisms that Jefferson had made years earlier.
(b) Criticisms that Jefferson had suppoorted months earlier.
(c) Criticisms that Jefferson had made months earlier.
(d) Criticisms that Jefferson had supported years earlier.
11. How often did Adams and Jefferson write as they aged?
(b) Every day.
(c) Once a week.
12. What month did Jefferson's daughter pass away?
13. As mentioned in Chapter 11, why did Adams and Jefferson want the American people to understand the Revolution?
(a) To improve the representative form of government.
(b) To remember the sacrifices made.
(c) To understand the price of freedom.
(d) To appreciate representative government.
14. Which future system(s) did Jefferson have high hopes for?
(a) Neither public education nor science.
(b) Public education and science.
(c) Science, but not public education.
(d) Public education, but not science.
15. What year did both Adams and Jefferson pass away?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the letter that Jefferson wrote to congratulate Adams when the election was over, before the results were known?
2. Why were few letters written between Adams and Jefferson early in their association?
3. What caused Adams to be angry with Jefferson before they reconciled?
4. In Chapter 10, how was Adams' outlook on the future dealings with aristocracy?
5. What did Jefferson do to upset the Adamses?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)