|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was the treaty between Algeria and the U.S.?
2. When was Adams released from his position as diplomat?
(a) Spring of 1789.
(b) Spring of 1788.
(c) Fall of 1788.
(d) Fall of 1789.
3. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
(a) Speaker of the house.
(b) Chief advisor.
(c) Secretary of state.
(d) Secretary of Treasury.
4. How long after Adams established a friendly relationship with the Dutch would it help the U.S. alleviate debt?
(a) Two years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Eight years.
5. What was the profession of Maria Cosway's husband?
(d) Business owner.
6. How many years after the Declaration of Independence did Adams and Jefferson pass away?
(d) Twenty five.
7. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
(a) He only supported it slightly.
(b) He supported it entirely.
(c) He did not support it.
(d) He supported it in a practical way.
8. Along with Adams and Jefferson, how many other people were on the committee assigned to write the Declaration of Independence?
9. How did Adams consider the U.S. Constitution?
10. As mentioned in Chapter 4, when did Jefferson visit England on Adams' request?
11. What alarmed Adams and Jefferson about the looting by the Barbary States?
(a) The Europeans' tolerance of it.
(b) The lack of awareness of it.
(c) The Europeans' encouragement of it.
(d) The lack of solutions to stop it.
12. Besides letters, what else did Adams and Jefferson write?
(a) Books, poems, and other documents.
(b) Other documents.
13. When did Richard Henry Lee propose the resolution that Congress should secede from Britain?
(a) July 4th.
(b) June 4th.
(c) July 7th.
(d) June 7th.
14. Which queen protected American vessels from the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
15. What type of a letter did Adams write after meeting with the ambassador of Tripoli, in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
2. Which term did Adams and Jefferson begin to use to describe their positions in Chapter 3?
3. Why were Adams and Jefferson effectively matched in mental power and training?
4. Which obstacles of Independence concerned Adams and Jefferson in 1777?
5. How many missions were made to Algiers to deal with the Barbary pirates?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)