|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Adams and Jefferson begin reading voraciously?
(a) During their presidencies.
(b) After their presidencies.
(c) During college.
(d) At a young age.
2. How was Jefferson received in the England court as he tried to secure a commercial treaty?
3. How long did Jefferson and Abigail stop corresponding after the Adamses moved from London?
(a) Eighteen years.
(b) Sixteen years.
(c) Fourteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
4. When did Adams and Jefferson meet to talk about a new loan for the U.S.?
(a) Early 1789.
(b) Early 1788.
(c) Late 1788.
(d) Late 1789.
5. In 1784, how much experience did Adams have in diplomacy?
(a) Five months.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Seven months.
6. Where did Adams observe Jefferson's presidency?
(c) New York.
7. How was Adams described in the Introduction?
(a) Short, round, and reserved.
(b) Short, round, and jovial.
(c) Short, slender, and reserved.
(d) Short, slender, and jovial.
8. When did Jefferson return to the United States?
(a) Fall of 1789.
(b) Fall of 1789.
(c) Summer of 1789.
(d) Winter of 1789.
9. As mentioned in Chapter 4, when did Jefferson visit England on Adams' request?
10. When was Jefferson a governor?
(a) From 1780 to 1782.
(b) From 1777 to 1778.
(c) From 1779 to 1781.
(d) From 1778 to 1780.
11. How were Adams' negotiations with the Portuguese described in Chapter 3?
12. Where did Adams negotiate with the Portuguese?
13. Why were Adams and Jefferson effectively matched in mental power and training?
(a) They both went to the same schools.
(b) They were both trained in the law.
(c) They both taught at the same schools.
(d) They were both trained by the same person.
14. In the order of the U.S. Presidents, when did John Adams and Thomas Jefferson hold the office respectively?
(a) They were the second and third Presidents.
(b) They were the second and eighth Presidents.
(c) They were the third and fourth Presidents.
(d) They were the fourth and eighth Presidents.
15. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
(a) He did not support it.
(b) He only supported it slightly.
(c) He supported it in a practical way.
(d) He supported it entirely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before being published anonymously, how did Jefferson's friends refer to his work, the Summary View of the Rights of British America?
2. How did Jefferson meet Mrs. Maria Cosway?
3. What was the name of Jefferson's daughter that was sent to England to study with Abigail?
4. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
5. How much of a concern was Prussia for Adams and Jefferson between 1785 and 1786?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)