|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alarmed Adams and Jefferson about the looting by the Barbary States?
(a) The lack of awareness of it.
(b) The Europeans' tolerance of it.
(c) The lack of solutions to stop it.
(d) The Europeans' encouragement of it.
2. How was Jefferson received in the England court as he tried to secure a commercial treaty?
3. Why did Jefferson think that Adams had requested to leave his position as diplomat and return to the U.S.?
(a) Because he did not like the behavior of the English.
(b) Because he did not think there was a point in working with the English.
(c) Because he did not want to be a diplomat anymore.
(d) Because he did not like the economy in England.
4. When was Adams released from his position as diplomat?
(a) Fall of 1789.
(b) Fall of 1788.
(c) Spring of 1788.
(d) Spring of 1789.
5. Why was the whale fishery lowered during the War of Independence?
(a) Its markets shrank.
(b) Its supplies were limited.
(c) Its supplies were unavailable.
(d) Its markets expanded too quickly.
6. When did Richard Henry Lee propose the resolution that Congress should secede from Britain?
(a) June 4th.
(b) July 7th.
(c) June 7th.
(d) July 4th.
7. What impressed Adams about Jefferson?
(a) His writing ability and temperament.
(b) His oratorical ability.
(c) His oratorical ability and temperament.
(d) His writing ability.
8. Which of the following was the result of the Dutch loan secured by Adams?
(a) Neither the loan nor the transfer were approved.
(b) Both the loan and the transfer were approved.
(c) The loan was approved, but the transfer was rejected.
(d) The transfer was approved, but the loan was rejected.
9. Where did Adams and Jefferson meet?
(d) New York.
10. How did France respond to the complications and complaints of the whale-oil fishery?
(a) They increased whaling.
(b) They banned oil trading.
(c) They increased oil trading.
(d) They banned whaling.
11. In 1784, how much experience did Adams have in diplomacy?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Five months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Seven months.
12. Where did Adams negotiate with the Portuguese?
13. Why did Adams and Jefferson have little tolerance for moderates?
(a) They thought the moderates were trying to stop the war.
(b) They thought the moderates were wrong about every issue.
(c) They thought the moderates were dangerous to the country.
(d) They thought the moderates did not love liberty enough.
14. When was the last letter in Chapter 4 written?
(a) January, 1787.
(b) July, 1787.
(c) February, 1787.
(d) October, 1787.
15. When did Adams and Jefferson meet to talk about a new loan for the U.S.?
(a) Early 1788.
(b) Late 1788.
(c) Early 1789.
(d) Late 1789.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
2. Which month was the first letter in Chapter 3 written?
3. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
4. When did Adams move to London?
5. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)