|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Europeans ironically permit the Barbary piracy?
(a) They were unaware of the piracy.
(b) They were afraid of the pirates.
(c) They thought they would benefit from the destruction of trade between other nations.
(d) They hired the pirates and dictated their activity.
2. When did Jefferson return to the United States?
(a) Fall of 1789.
(b) Winter of 1789.
(c) Fall of 1789.
(d) Summer of 1789.
3. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
(a) Speaker of the house.
(b) Secretary of Treasury.
(c) Chief advisor.
(d) Secretary of state.
4. Where did Adams travel as a Diplomat in 1778?
5. When did Adams and Jefferson work well together at the Continental Congress?
6. When did Jefferson return to France in Chapter 4 and begin writing to Adams again?
(a) The beginning of October.
(b) The end of October.
(c) The end of April.
(d) The beginning of April.
7. Why did Jefferson think that Adams had requested to leave his position as diplomat and return to the U.S.?
(a) Because he did not think there was a point in working with the English.
(b) Because he did not like the economy in England.
(c) Because he did not want to be a diplomat anymore.
(d) Because he did not like the behavior of the English.
8. Which day was it when both Adams and Jefferson passed away?
(a) June 10.
(b) June 4.
(c) July 10.
(d) July 4.
9. At Adams' request, what did Jefferson send during negotiations with the Portuguese?
(a) A list of two commodities that could be exchanged.
(b) A vague list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(c) A list of three commodities that could be exchanged.
(d) A detailed list of commodities that could be exchanged.
10. Where did Adams and Jefferson meet?
(a) New York.
11. Before being published anonymously, how did Jefferson's friends refer to his work, the Summary View of the Rights of British America?
(a) By a Founding Member of the House of Burgesses.
(b) By an Original Member of the House of Burgesses.
(c) By a Native and Founding Member of the House of Burgesses.
(d) By a Native and Member of the House of Burgesses.
12. Which other country did Congress authorize a treaty with after the treaty with Prussia?
13. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
(a) Whale oil, fishing supplies, and candles.
(b) Whale oil and fishing supplies.
(c) Candles and fishing supplies.
(d) Whale oil and candles.
14. What did Adams and Jefferson think about Great Britain in Chapter 3?
(a) It would honor the agreements with the United States.
(b) It would not begin trading with other countries.
(c) It would begin trading with other countries.
(d) It would not honor the agreements with the United States.
15. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
2. When did Adams and Jefferson meet to talk about a new loan for the U.S.?
3. When did Jefferson join Adams and Benjamin Franklin in France?
4. In what country was Adams a diplomat in the 1780s?
5. What year was the treaty between Algeria and the U.S.?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)