|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which queen protected American vessels from the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
2. Which letters include less philosophical topics, such as whale-oil and tobacco contracts?
(a) The letters during 1801.
(b) The letters both before and after 1801.
(c) The letters after 1801.
(d) The letters before 1801.
3. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
(a) January, 1775.
(b) February, 1775.
(c) January, 1774.
(d) February, 1774.
4. In the order of the U.S. Presidents, when did John Adams and Thomas Jefferson hold the office respectively?
(a) They were the second and third Presidents.
(b) They were the fourth and eighth Presidents.
(c) They were the second and eighth Presidents.
(d) They were the third and fourth Presidents.
5. Why did Jefferson think that Adams had requested to leave his position as diplomat and return to the U.S.?
(a) Because he did not like the behavior of the English.
(b) Because he did not think there was a point in working with the English.
(c) Because he did not want to be a diplomat anymore.
(d) Because he did not like the economy in England.
6. What did the British do while Jefferson was trying to secure the commercial treaty, in Chapter 4?
(a) They neither delayed nor showed indifference.
(b) They delayed and showed indifference.
(c) They delayed, but did not show indifference.
(d) They showed indifference, but did not delay.
7. At Adams' request, what did Jefferson send during negotiations with the Portuguese?
(a) A detailed list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(b) A list of three commodities that could be exchanged.
(c) A vague list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(d) A list of two commodities that could be exchanged.
8. What did Vergennes lend to the U.S.?
(d) Aid, advice, and weapons.
9. How did Adams consider the U.S. Constitution?
10. Which obstacles of Independence concerned Adams and Jefferson in 1777?
(a) Financing the war and regulating trade.
(b) Financing the war and public opinion.
(c) Financing the war, public opinion, and regulating trade.
(d) Public opinion and regulating trade.
11. What group was Adams a member of when he helped in the reconciliation with Great Britain in 1776?
(a) The American Commission.
(b) The American Delegation.
(c) The American Representatives.
(d) The American Ambassadors.
12. Before being published anonymously, how did Jefferson's friends refer to his work, the Summary View of the Rights of British America?
(a) By an Original Member of the House of Burgesses.
(b) By a Native and Member of the House of Burgesses.
(c) By a Native and Founding Member of the House of Burgesses.
(d) By a Founding Member of the House of Burgesses.
13. Which month was the first letter in Chapter 3 written?
14. When did Adams and Jefferson work well together at the Continental Congress?
15. When did Jefferson return to the United States?
(a) Fall of 1789.
(b) Fall of 1789.
(c) Winter of 1789.
(d) Summer of 1789.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which day was it when both Adams and Jefferson passed away?
2. When did Adams and Jefferson begin reading voraciously?
3. Why was Jefferson's future job suspended in 1783?
4. When was Jefferson a governor?
5. What alarmed Adams and Jefferson about the looting by the Barbary States?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)