|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was one of the reasons why Adams wrote the Defense of the Constitutions of the United States?
(a) To prove that the U.S. did not copy England's style of government.
(b) To prove that the Constitution was only effective in the U.S.
(c) To prove that other countries should not try to imitate the U.S.'s style of government.
(d) To prove his involvement with the writing of the Constitution.
2. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
(a) He only supported it slightly.
(b) He supported it entirely.
(c) He did not support it.
(d) He supported it in a practical way.
3. Why did Adams and Jefferson have little tolerance for moderates?
(a) They thought the moderates did not love liberty enough.
(b) They thought the moderates were dangerous to the country.
(c) They thought the moderates were wrong about every issue.
(d) They thought the moderates were trying to stop the war.
4. Which letters include less philosophical topics, such as whale-oil and tobacco contracts?
(a) The letters both before and after 1801.
(b) The letters before 1801.
(c) The letters during 1801.
(d) The letters after 1801.
5. Before being published anonymously, how did Jefferson's friends refer to his work, the Summary View of the Rights of British America?
(a) By a Native and Member of the House of Burgesses.
(b) By a Native and Founding Member of the House of Burgesses.
(c) By a Founding Member of the House of Burgesses.
(d) By an Original Member of the House of Burgesses.
6. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
(a) Candles and fishing supplies.
(b) Whale oil and fishing supplies.
(c) Whale oil and candles.
(d) Whale oil, fishing supplies, and candles.
7. Along with Adams and Jefferson, how many other people were on the committee assigned to write the Declaration of Independence?
8. At what time did Adams and Abigail return to Boston?
(b) Early 1789.
(c) Early 1788.
(d) Late 1788.
9. At Adams' request, what did Jefferson send during negotiations with the Portuguese?
(a) A list of three commodities that could be exchanged.
(b) A detailed list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(c) A vague list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(d) A list of two commodities that could be exchanged.
10. Why did Jefferson think that Adams had requested to leave his position as diplomat and return to the U.S.?
(a) Because he did not think there was a point in working with the English.
(b) Because he did not like the behavior of the English.
(c) Because he did not like the economy in England.
(d) Because he did not want to be a diplomat anymore.
11. As mentioned in Chapter 4, when did Jefferson visit England on Adams' request?
12. Besides letters, what else did Adams and Jefferson write?
(b) Other documents.
(d) Books, poems, and other documents.
13. How much was the Dutch loan that Adams secured?
(a) Four hundred thousand dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Three hundred thousand dollars.
(d) Two hundred thousand dollars.
14. Which queen protected American vessels from the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
15. In the Novanglus letters, what did Adams defend for the Bay Colony?
(a) The decision to have elections.
(b) The trade agreements.
(c) The economic status.
(d) The authority to resist British oppression.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Adams and Jefferson work well together at the Continental Congress?
2. How old was Adams when he met Jefferson?
3. How long were Adams and Jefferson apart before they met on August 7th of 1784?
4. When did the results of the Constitutional Convention ion 1787 reach Adams and Jefferson?
5. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)