|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Adams and Jefferson meet?
(c) New York.
2. How long after Adams established a friendly relationship with the Dutch would it help the U.S. alleviate debt?
(a) Six years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two years.
3. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
(a) Chief advisor.
(b) Speaker of the house.
(c) Secretary of state.
(d) Secretary of Treasury.
4. Which of the following was the result of the Dutch loan secured by Adams?
(a) Both the loan and the transfer were approved.
(b) The transfer was approved, but the loan was rejected.
(c) The loan was approved, but the transfer was rejected.
(d) Neither the loan nor the transfer were approved.
5. What things did Jefferson think governed Algiers?
(a) Money and cowardice.
(b) Fear and cowardice.
(c) Money, fear, and cowardice.
(d) Money and fear.
6. How much was the Dutch loan that Adams secured?
(a) Four hundred thousand dollars.
(b) Three hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Two hundred thousand dollars.
(d) One hundred thousand dollars.
7. When was the last letter in Chapter 4 written?
(a) February, 1787.
(b) October, 1787.
(c) January, 1787.
(d) July, 1787.
8. Which years were the letters written that are included in Chapter 1?
(a) 1775 and 1880.
(b) 1777 and 1881.
(c) 1774 and 1879.
(d) 1778 and 1882.
9. How were Adams' negotiations with the Portuguese described in Chapter 3?
10. Which type of issues did Adams and Jefferson discuss primarily when their correspondence resumed?
11. What alarmed Adams and Jefferson about the looting by the Barbary States?
(a) The Europeans' tolerance of it.
(b) The Europeans' encouragement of it.
(c) The lack of awareness of it.
(d) The lack of solutions to stop it.
12. How many years after the Declaration of Independence did Adams and Jefferson pass away?
(c) Twenty five.
13. Why was the whale fishery lowered during the War of Independence?
(a) Its supplies were limited.
(b) Its supplies were unavailable.
(c) Its markets expanded too quickly.
(d) Its markets shrank.
14. How old was Adams when he met Jefferson?
(a) Thirty two.
(b) Thirty seven.
(c) Thirty nine.
(d) Thirty four.
15. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
Short Answer Questions
1. How was France's old regime described in 1787?
2. How was Adams described in the Introduction?
3. When did Richard Henry Lee propose the resolution that Congress should secede from Britain?
4. How did France respond to the complications and complaints of the whale-oil fishery?
5. When did Jefferson join Adams and Benjamin Franklin in France?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)