|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Adams consider the U.S. Constitution?
2. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
3. What group was Adams a member of when he helped in the reconciliation with Great Britain in 1776?
(a) The American Ambassadors.
(b) The American Representatives.
(c) The American Delegation.
(d) The American Commission.
4. How was Jefferson received in the England court as he tried to secure a commercial treaty?
5. As mentioned in Chapter 1, which of Adams' skills stood out to Jefferson?
(a) His oratorical ability and sound head.
(b) His writing ability and sound head.
(c) His oratorical and writing ability.
(d) His oratorical and writing ability, and sound head.
6. Besides letters, what else did Adams and Jefferson write?
(c) Books, poems, and other documents.
(d) Other documents.
7. How did France respond to the complications and complaints of the whale-oil fishery?
(a) They increased oil trading.
(b) They increased whaling.
(c) They banned whaling.
(d) They banned oil trading.
8. Along with Adams and Jefferson, how many other people were on the committee assigned to write the Declaration of Independence?
9. Why did Jefferson think that Adams had requested to leave his position as diplomat and return to the U.S.?
(a) Because he did not think there was a point in working with the English.
(b) Because he did not like the behavior of the English.
(c) Because he did not like the economy in England.
(d) Because he did not want to be a diplomat anymore.
10. Why did the Europeans ironically permit the Barbary piracy?
(a) They were unaware of the piracy.
(b) They were afraid of the pirates.
(c) They thought they would benefit from the destruction of trade between other nations.
(d) They hired the pirates and dictated their activity.
11. What alarmed Adams and Jefferson about the looting by the Barbary States?
(a) The lack of awareness of it.
(b) The Europeans' tolerance of it.
(c) The Europeans' encouragement of it.
(d) The lack of solutions to stop it.
12. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
(a) Secretary of state.
(b) Secretary of Treasury.
(c) Speaker of the house.
(d) Chief advisor.
13. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
(a) Whale oil, fishing supplies, and candles.
(b) Whale oil and fishing supplies.
(c) Whale oil and candles.
(d) Candles and fishing supplies.
14. In what country was Adams a diplomat in the 1780s?
15. How long was Adams the Commissioner to France?
(a) From 1774 to 1778.
(b) From 1774 to 1776.
(c) From 1775 to 1779.
(d) From 1777 to 1779.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with the Dutch loan that Adams secured, what was the percentage to transfer the debt from France to Holland?
2. Why was Jefferson's future job suspended in 1783?
3. In 1784, how much experience did Adams have in diplomacy?
4. What happened to the interest payments on the debt that America had acquired during the war to France?
5. How many years after the Declaration of Independence did Adams and Jefferson pass away?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)