|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Jefferson's wife pass away?
2. What did Vergennes lend to the U.S.?
(d) Aid, advice, and weapons.
3. When was the last letter in Chapter 4 written?
(a) July, 1787.
(b) February, 1787.
(c) October, 1787.
(d) January, 1787.
4. In the Novanglus letters, what did Adams defend for the Bay Colony?
(a) The economic status.
(b) The trade agreements.
(c) The authority to resist British oppression.
(d) The decision to have elections.
5. Which term did Adams and Jefferson begin to use to describe their positions in Chapter 3?
6. How long were Adams and Jefferson apart before they met on August 7th of 1784?
(a) Five years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Five and a half years.
(d) Four and a half years.
7. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
(a) February, 1775.
(b) January, 1774.
(c) January, 1775.
(d) February, 1774.
8. When did Jefferson join Adams and Benjamin Franklin in France?
9. Which letters include less philosophical topics, such as whale-oil and tobacco contracts?
(a) The letters during 1801.
(b) The letters before 1801.
(c) The letters after 1801.
(d) The letters both before and after 1801.
10. At Adams' request, what did Jefferson send during negotiations with the Portuguese?
(a) A vague list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(b) A list of three commodities that could be exchanged.
(c) A detailed list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(d) A list of two commodities that could be exchanged.
11. How was Jefferson received in the England court as he tried to secure a commercial treaty?
12. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
(a) Whale oil and candles.
(b) Whale oil and fishing supplies.
(c) Candles and fishing supplies.
(d) Whale oil, fishing supplies, and candles.
13. What group was Adams a member of when he helped in the reconciliation with Great Britain in 1776?
(a) The American Delegation.
(b) The American Commission.
(c) The American Representatives.
(d) The American Ambassadors.
14. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
(a) He did not support it.
(b) He supported it in a practical way.
(c) He only supported it slightly.
(d) He supported it entirely.
15. As mentioned in Chapter 1, which of Adams' skills stood out to Jefferson?
(a) His oratorical ability and sound head.
(b) His oratorical and writing ability, and sound head.
(c) His writing ability and sound head.
(d) His oratorical and writing ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of effect did Adams think Shay's Rebellion would have on government?
2. Which day was it when both Adams and Jefferson passed away?
3. What did Adams and Jefferson use to support their positions in the letters?
4. Along with Adams and Jefferson, how many other people were on the committee assigned to write the Declaration of Independence?
5. When did the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson resume?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)