|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Adams return to France in 1780?
(a) To negotiate with Great Britain for trade.
(b) To negotiate with Great Britain for peace.
(c) To negotiate with Italy for trade.
(d) To negotiate with Italy for peace.
2. Which obstacles of Independence concerned Adams and Jefferson in 1777?
(a) Financing the war and regulating trade.
(b) Financing the war and public opinion.
(c) Public opinion and regulating trade.
(d) Financing the war, public opinion, and regulating trade.
3. When was the last letter in Chapter 4 written?
(a) October, 1787.
(b) July, 1787.
(c) January, 1787.
(d) February, 1787.
4. How long was Adams the Commissioner to France?
(a) From 1775 to 1779.
(b) From 1774 to 1776.
(c) From 1774 to 1778.
(d) From 1777 to 1779.
5. In order to design a trade treatise, what position was Jefferson given by Congress in 1784?
(a) First Secretary.
(b) Second Secretary.
(c) Minister resident.
(d) Minister plenipotentiary.
6. Which letters include less philosophical topics, such as whale-oil and tobacco contracts?
(a) The letters during 1801.
(b) The letters before 1801.
(c) The letters both before and after 1801.
(d) The letters after 1801.
7. When did Adams and Jefferson begin reading voraciously?
(a) During their presidencies.
(b) During college.
(c) After their presidencies.
(d) At a young age.
8. What did Adams and Jefferson use to support their positions in the letters?
(a) Literature and other people's opinions.
(b) Cases from history and other people's opinions.
(c) Cases from history and literature.
(d) Cases from history, other people's opinions, and literature.
9. Why was Jefferson's future job suspended in 1783?
(a) The job could not be funded.
(b) Peace was near.
(c) Jefferson was too far away.
(d) The War was ongoing.
10. What did Vergennes lend to the U.S.?
(b) Aid, advice, and weapons.
11. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
(a) Whale oil and fishing supplies.
(b) Whale oil, fishing supplies, and candles.
(c) Whale oil and candles.
(d) Candles and fishing supplies.
12. How much was the Dutch loan that Adams secured?
(a) One hundred thousand dollars.
(b) Four hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Two hundred thousand dollars.
(d) Three hundred thousand dollars.
13. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
(a) He did not support it.
(b) He supported it entirely.
(c) He only supported it slightly.
(d) He supported it in a practical way.
14. In 1784, how much experience did Adams have in diplomacy?
(a) Five years.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Seven years.
15. Which type of effect did Adams think Shay's Rebellion would have on government?
(a) It would have no effect.
(b) It would reduce its power.
(c) It would add to its power.
(d) It would maintain its power.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Jefferson and Abigail stop corresponding after the Adamses moved from London?
2. Where was Jefferson the governor?
3. What age was Jefferson when he met Adams?
4. Besides letters, what else did Adams and Jefferson write?
5. What did Adams and Jefferson think about Great Britain in Chapter 3?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)