|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leading to his support of the Bill of Rights, what was Adams' initial concern during the Federal Convention?
(a) That the people would not have their say.
(b) That the people would not be represented.
(c) That the senate would be ineffective.
(d) That the senate would have too much power.
2. How did Jefferson meet Mrs. Maria Cosway?
(a) On a business trip.
(b) During a vacation.
(c) Through a friend.
(d) By accident.
3. Where did Adams go to help secure formal recognition of American independence?
4. When did the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson resume?
5. Which other country did Congress authorize a treaty with after the treaty with Prussia?
6. How long had Adams and Jefferson served as delegates in the lower house of their local legislatures when they met?
(a) One year.
(b) Many years.
(c) A few years.
(d) Two years.
7. When did Jefferson return to France in Chapter 4 and begin writing to Adams again?
(a) The beginning of October.
(b) The end of October.
(c) The beginning of April.
(d) The end of April.
8. How was France's old regime described in 1787?
(a) Halfway collapsed.
(c) Near collapse.
(d) Just starting to collapse.
9. Which month was the first letter in Chapter 3 written?
10. Why did the Europeans ironically permit the Barbary piracy?
(a) They were unaware of the piracy.
(b) They hired the pirates and dictated their activity.
(c) They were afraid of the pirates.
(d) They thought they would benefit from the destruction of trade between other nations.
11. How much was the Dutch loan that Adams secured?
(a) Two hundred thousand dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Three hundred thousand dollars.
(d) Four hundred thousand dollars.
12. In the Novanglus letters, what did Adams defend for the Bay Colony?
(a) The decision to have elections.
(b) The authority to resist British oppression.
(c) The trade agreements.
(d) The economic status.
13. What happened to the interest payments on the debt that America had acquired during the war to France?
(a) They were eliminated.
(b) They were reduced.
(c) They were suspended.
(d) They were increased.
14. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
(a) Whale oil and candles.
(b) Whale oil and fishing supplies.
(c) Whale oil, fishing supplies, and candles.
(d) Candles and fishing supplies.
15. At Adams' request, what did Jefferson send during negotiations with the Portuguese?
(a) A list of three commodities that could be exchanged.
(b) A list of two commodities that could be exchanged.
(c) A vague list of commodities that could be exchanged.
(d) A detailed list of commodities that could be exchanged.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country was Adams a diplomat in the 1780s?
2. When did Adams and Jefferson work well together at the Continental Congress?
3. When was Jefferson a governor?
4. Why was Jefferson's future job suspended in 1783?
5. Which years were the letters written that are included in Chapter 1?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)