|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to design a trade treatise, what position was Jefferson given by Congress in 1784?
(a) Minister plenipotentiary.
(b) First Secretary.
(c) Second Secretary.
(d) Minister resident.
2. Why were Adams and Jefferson effectively matched in mental power and training?
(a) They were both trained in the law.
(b) They both went to the same schools.
(c) They were both trained by the same person.
(d) They both taught at the same schools.
3. Why did the Europeans ironically permit the Barbary piracy?
(a) They were afraid of the pirates.
(b) They thought they would benefit from the destruction of trade between other nations.
(c) They hired the pirates and dictated their activity.
(d) They were unaware of the piracy.
4. How long were Adams and Jefferson apart before they met on August 7th of 1784?
(a) Five years.
(b) Four and a half years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Five and a half years.
5. Along with the Dutch loan that Adams secured, what was the percentage to transfer the debt from France to Holland?
(a) Ten percent.
(b) Five percent.
(c) Fourteen percent.
(d) One percent.
6. Where was the Constitutional Convention of 1787 held?
7. What did Adams and Jefferson use to support their positions in the letters?
(a) Literature and other people's opinions.
(b) Cases from history and other people's opinions.
(c) Cases from history and literature.
(d) Cases from history, other people's opinions, and literature.
8. Which type of effect did Adams think Shay's Rebellion would have on government?
(a) It would maintain its power.
(b) It would have no effect.
(c) It would add to its power.
(d) It would reduce its power.
9. When did Adams and Jefferson begin reading voraciously?
(a) During their presidencies.
(b) During college.
(c) At a young age.
(d) After their presidencies.
10. Which of the following was the result of the Dutch loan secured by Adams?
(a) Both the loan and the transfer were approved.
(b) The transfer was approved, but the loan was rejected.
(c) The loan was approved, but the transfer was rejected.
(d) Neither the loan nor the transfer were approved.
11. How long after Adams established a friendly relationship with the Dutch would it help the U.S. alleviate debt?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two years.
12. Which type of issues did Adams and Jefferson discuss primarily when their correspondence resumed?
13. What year was it when Jefferson attempted to renew his correspondence with Abigail?
14. When did Jefferson return to the United States?
(a) Winter of 1789.
(b) Fall of 1789.
(c) Summer of 1789.
(d) Fall of 1789.
15. Which years were the letters written that are included in Chapter 1?
(a) 1777 and 1881.
(b) 1774 and 1879.
(c) 1775 and 1880.
(d) 1778 and 1882.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jefferson join Adams and Benjamin Franklin in France?
2. How many times did Jefferson mention Cosway in his letters to Abigail Adams?
3. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
4. Why did Adams and Jefferson have little tolerance for moderates?
5. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)