|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the correspondence between Adams and Jefferson resume?
2. Which position did Jefferson have when Adams was vice-president?
(a) Secretary of Treasury.
(b) Chief advisor.
(c) Secretary of state.
(d) Speaker of the house.
3. What did Adams and Jefferson use to support their positions in the letters?
(a) Literature and other people's opinions.
(b) Cases from history, other people's opinions, and literature.
(c) Cases from history and other people's opinions.
(d) Cases from history and literature.
4. Which type of effect did Adams think Shay's Rebellion would have on government?
(a) It would have no effect.
(b) It would maintain its power.
(c) It would add to its power.
(d) It would reduce its power.
5. Which of the following was the result of the Dutch loan secured by Adams?
(a) Neither the loan nor the transfer were approved.
(b) Both the loan and the transfer were approved.
(c) The loan was approved, but the transfer was rejected.
(d) The transfer was approved, but the loan was rejected.
6. Where did Adams and Jefferson meet?
(a) New York.
7. Where did Adams go to help secure formal recognition of American independence?
8. How did Jefferson meet Mrs. Maria Cosway?
(a) By accident.
(b) On a business trip.
(c) Through a friend.
(d) During a vacation.
9. Where was Jefferson the governor?
10. Why did the Europeans ironically permit the Barbary piracy?
(a) They thought they would benefit from the destruction of trade between other nations.
(b) They were afraid of the pirates.
(c) They hired the pirates and dictated their activity.
(d) They were unaware of the piracy.
11. At what time did Adams and Abigail return to Boston?
(a) Early 1788.
(c) Early 1789.
(d) Late 1788.
12. When did Jefferson join Adams and Benjamin Franklin in France?
13. How was France's old regime described in 1787?
(a) Near collapse.
(c) Halfway collapsed.
(d) Just starting to collapse.
14. What did the British do while Jefferson was trying to secure the commercial treaty, in Chapter 4?
(a) They showed indifference, but did not delay.
(b) They delayed, but did not show indifference.
(c) They delayed and showed indifference.
(d) They neither delayed nor showed indifference.
15. When was Jefferson a governor?
(a) From 1778 to 1780.
(b) From 1777 to 1778.
(c) From 1779 to 1781.
(d) From 1780 to 1782.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vergennes lend to the U.S.?
2. How did France respond to the complications and complaints of the whale-oil fishery?
3. Which obstacles of Independence concerned Adams and Jefferson in 1777?
4. Which other country did Congress authorize a treaty with after the treaty with Prussia?
5. How was Jefferson received in the England court as he tried to secure a commercial treaty?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)