|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Adams and Jefferson think about Great Britain in Chapter 3?
(a) It would honor the agreements with the United States.
(b) It would not honor the agreements with the United States.
(c) It would not begin trading with other countries.
(d) It would begin trading with other countries.
2. Which of the following was not included in Jefferson's description in the Introduction?
3. Which queen protected American vessels from the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
4. Which type of effect did Adams think Shay's Rebellion would have on government?
(a) It would add to its power.
(b) It would have no effect.
(c) It would reduce its power.
(d) It would maintain its power.
5. When was Jefferson a governor?
(a) From 1779 to 1781.
(b) From 1780 to 1782.
(c) From 1777 to 1778.
(d) From 1778 to 1780.
6. Why did Adams and Jefferson have little tolerance for moderates?
(a) They thought the moderates were wrong about every issue.
(b) They thought the moderates were dangerous to the country.
(c) They thought the moderates were trying to stop the war.
(d) They thought the moderates did not love liberty enough.
7. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
(a) February, 1775.
(b) January, 1775.
(c) January, 1774.
(d) February, 1774.
8. How long was Adams the Commissioner to France?
(a) From 1774 to 1776.
(b) From 1777 to 1779.
(c) From 1775 to 1779.
(d) From 1774 to 1778.
9. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
(a) They resented Britain's policies with the U.S.
(b) They resented Britain's economic acts.
(c) They resented Britain's navigation acts.
(d) They resented Britain's politics.
10. What was the name of Jefferson's daughter that was sent to England to study with Abigail?
11. What did the British do while Jefferson was trying to secure the commercial treaty, in Chapter 4?
(a) They delayed, but did not show indifference.
(b) They delayed and showed indifference.
(c) They neither delayed nor showed indifference.
(d) They showed indifference, but did not delay.
12. In the Novanglus letters, what did Adams defend for the Bay Colony?
(a) The authority to resist British oppression.
(b) The economic status.
(c) The trade agreements.
(d) The decision to have elections.
13. Why was Jefferson's future job suspended in 1783?
(a) The War was ongoing.
(b) The job could not be funded.
(c) Peace was near.
(d) Jefferson was too far away.
14. What did Vergennes lend to the U.S.?
(a) Aid, advice, and weapons.
15. When was Adams released from his position as diplomat?
(a) Spring of 1789.
(b) Spring of 1788.
(c) Fall of 1789.
(d) Fall of 1788.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with Adams and Jefferson, how many other people were on the committee assigned to write the Declaration of Independence?
2. How did France respond to the complications and complaints of the whale-oil fishery?
3. Why did Adams return to France in 1780?
4. What items did Adams and Jefferson focus on gaining admittance to French markets?
5. When did Adams and Jefferson work well together at the Continental Congress?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)