|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Jefferson mention Cosway in his letters to Abigail Adams?
(c) Three times.
(d) Four times.
2. What age was Jefferson when he met Adams?
(a) Thirty four.
(b) Thirty eight.
(c) Thirty two.
(d) Thirty six.
3. Why did Adams return to France in 1780?
(a) To negotiate with Great Britain for peace.
(b) To negotiate with Italy for peace.
(c) To negotiate with Great Britain for trade.
(d) To negotiate with Italy for trade.
4. Which term did Adams and Jefferson begin to use to describe their positions in Chapter 3?
5. What was the profession of Maria Cosway's husband?
(d) Business owner.
6. When did Jefferson's wife pass away?
7. Why was the whale fishery lowered during the War of Independence?
(a) Its markets expanded too quickly.
(b) Its supplies were unavailable.
(c) Its supplies were limited.
(d) Its markets shrank.
8. How did Adams consider the U.S. Constitution?
9. Besides letters, what else did Adams and Jefferson write?
(b) Other documents.
(c) Books, poems, and other documents.
10. How much was the Dutch loan that Adams secured?
(a) Three hundred thousand dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Two hundred thousand dollars.
(d) Four hundred thousand dollars.
11. Why was Portugal open to American overtures?
(a) They resented Britain's economic acts.
(b) They resented Britain's policies with the U.S.
(c) They resented Britain's politics.
(d) They resented Britain's navigation acts.
12. Where was Jefferson the governor?
13. In what country was Adams a diplomat in the 1780s?
14. How did Adams respond to Jefferson's suggestion to Congress about solving the situation with the Barbary pirates?
(a) He only supported it slightly.
(b) He supported it in a practical way.
(c) He supported it entirely.
(d) He did not support it.
15. Which letters include less philosophical topics, such as whale-oil and tobacco contracts?
(a) The letters after 1801.
(b) The letters both before and after 1801.
(c) The letters before 1801.
(d) The letters during 1801.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with Adams and Jefferson, how many other people were on the committee assigned to write the Declaration of Independence?
2. Why did the Europeans ironically permit the Barbary piracy?
3. In the order of the U.S. Presidents, when did John Adams and Thomas Jefferson hold the office respectively?
4. What did the British do while Jefferson was trying to secure the commercial treaty, in Chapter 4?
5. How old was Adams when he met Jefferson?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)