|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vergennes lend to the U.S.?
(a) Aid, advice, and weapons.
2. When did Vergennes pass away?
(a) February, 1787.
(b) April, 1788.
(c) February, 1788.
(d) April, 1787.
3. Where did Adams negotiate with the Portuguese?
4. Why did Adams return to France in 1780?
(a) To negotiate with Italy for trade.
(b) To negotiate with Great Britain for peace.
(c) To negotiate with Great Britain for trade.
(d) To negotiate with Italy for peace.
5. When was the last letter in Chapter 4 written?
(a) January, 1787.
(b) February, 1787.
(c) October, 1787.
(d) July, 1787.
6. Which month was the first letter in Chapter 3 written?
7. Which type of issues did Adams and Jefferson discuss primarily when their correspondence resumed?
8. In the Novanglus letters, what did Adams defend for the Bay Colony?
(a) The trade agreements.
(b) The economic status.
(c) The authority to resist British oppression.
(d) The decision to have elections.
9. Written by Adams, when were the Novanglus letters published anonymously?
(a) February, 1775.
(b) February, 1774.
(c) January, 1775.
(d) January, 1774.
10. What impressed Adams about Jefferson?
(a) His writing ability and temperament.
(b) His oratorical ability and temperament.
(c) His writing ability.
(d) His oratorical ability.
11. Along with Adams and Jefferson, how many other people were on the committee assigned to write the Declaration of Independence?
12. How long were Adams and Jefferson apart before they met on August 7th of 1784?
(a) Five years.
(b) Four and a half years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Five and a half years.
13. Which of the following was the result of the Dutch loan secured by Adams?
(a) The transfer was approved, but the loan was rejected.
(b) Neither the loan nor the transfer were approved.
(c) Both the loan and the transfer were approved.
(d) The loan was approved, but the transfer was rejected.
14. What happened to the interest payments on the debt that America had acquired during the war to France?
(a) They were eliminated.
(b) They were reduced.
(c) They were suspended.
(d) They were increased.
15. Where did Adams observe Jefferson's presidency?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before being published anonymously, how did Jefferson's friends refer to his work, the Summary View of the Rights of British America?
2. When did the results of the Constitutional Convention ion 1787 reach Adams and Jefferson?
3. How were Adams' negotiations with the Portuguese described in Chapter 3?
4. Which queen protected American vessels from the Barbary pirates, in Chapter 4?
5. At what time did Adams and Abigail return to Boston?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)