|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The convoy of soldiers that arrive with the school buses full of children in Part I: “The Last Historian,” Chapter 17 is from what base?
2. What fraction of the surviving population does the doctor say are actually infested by the Others in Part II: “Wonderland”?
3. Cassie is said to be how old in Part III: “Silencer”?
4. What is the name of the guy who Ben shared his tent with before he became ill in Part II: “Wonderland”?
5. What does Cassie discover the soldier she has shot is holding in his hand in the end of Part I: “The Last Historian,” Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Pam inject into Zombie’s neck in Part II: “Wonderland”? Why?
2. What takes place when Sammy meets Dr. Pam in Part V: “The Winnowing”?
3. How is the setting of Camp Ashpit described in Part I: “The Last Historian,” Chapter 13?
4. How is Cassie’s situation described when the narrative returns to the present at the end of Part I: “The Last Historian”? What is Cassie’s objective?
5. How are the first attacks by the Others described in Part I: “The Last Historian”?
6. What information does Cassie relate to Evan of her observations after the attack in Part IV: “Mayfly”?
7. How is the reality of life at Camp Haven described in Part VI: “The Human Clay”?
8. Whom does Cassie Sullivan kill in Part I: “The Last Historian”? What does she discover about this character after he’s been shot?
9. Who narrates Part II: “Wonderland”? How does this character introduce himself?
10. How do Sammy and Ben come to meet in Part VI: “The Human Clay”? By what name is Sammy called?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Sammy in The 5th Wave. How old is Sammy? What item does Cassie keep with her to remind her of her promise to her brother? What characteristics does Sammy exhibit as a narrator in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style established in Part I: “The Last Historian.” Is the story related in first, second or third person perspective? Is it related in present or past tense? Is the narrator involved in the action? How would you describe the tone that is established in the first chapters of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Cassie Sullivan as the protagonist in The 5th Wave. How old is Cassie? Do you relate to this character? Why or why not? What can you ascertain of Cassie’s character based on her narrative style in the first chapters of the book? How does Cassie’s character evolve in the story?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)