|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Evan’s eyes described as being in Part IV: “Mayfly”?
2. What color does the thermometer glow when one of the children has fever in Part V: “The Winnowing,” Chapter 38?
3. Who kills Cassie’s father in Part I: “The Last Historian”?
4. Cassie says she rode out the worst part of the blizzard in the back of what vehicle in Part IV: “Mayfly,” Chapter 32?
5. What is the name of the medic who gives Sammy candy and juice in Part V: “The Winnowing,” Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Cassie relate to Evan of her observations after the attack in Part IV: “Mayfly”?
2. What does Evan Walker reveal about his family in Part IV: “Mayfly,” Chapter 35?
3. What does the teddy bear that Cassie carries in the novel represent symbolically?
4. How is the reality of life at Camp Haven described in Part VI: “The Human Clay”?
5. How is the character of Ringer described in Part VI: “The Human Clay”?
6. What kinds of literary allusions are seen in Parts I through III of The 5th Wave?
7. Who brings Sammy food on the bus in Part V: “The Winnowing”? What does this character tell Sammy about their destination?
8. Who narrates Part IV: “Mayfly”? Where is the protagonist located in the opening of Part IV: “Mayfly,” Chapter 32?
9. What takes place when Sammy meets Dr. Pam in Part V: “The Winnowing”?
10. How does the narrative perspective change in Part V: “The Winnowing”? What setting is described in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Parker in the novel. What is Parker’s position within the company on the school buses? How does Parker succeed in allaying Sammy’s fears? What is later revealed about Parker’s character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Zombie in The 5th Wave. How does Zombie differ from Cassie in terms of his objectives, actions, and obstacles? What setting does Zombie describe when he is first introduced? How old is Zombie? What was his name prior to the invasion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the technology presented in Part II: “Wonderland,” and discuss its functions. What is the purpose of the Wonderland software? What is implanted into the necks of the new cadets/refugees? What purpose does this device serve?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)