|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sammy tells the girl who’s sitting across from him on the bus in Part V: “The Winnowing,” Chapter 38 that his name is Sam, but that everyone calls him Sammy except for Cassie. What does Cassie call him?
2. When the doctor takes Ben to see one of the “infested” in Part II: “Wonderland,” the person strapped to the chair with electrodes connected to him is whom?
3. What is the name of the soldier that Cassie kills after he shoots her friend in Part I: “The Last Historian,” Chapter 21?
4. Who in Zombie’s squad is described in Part VI: “The Human Clay” as “the chubby kid with the crooked teeth who’s last in every drill but first in chow line”?
5. What is Ben’s last name in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place when Sammy meets Dr. Pam in Part V: “The Winnowing”?
2. What is significant about the changed perspective that is seen in Part III: “Silencer”?
3. What information does Zombie learn about alien technology in Part II: “Wonderland” from Dr. Pam?
4. Who is the narrator in Part I: “The Last Historian”? What information is related to the reader in the first chapters of the story?
5. How is the setting of Camp Ashpit described in Part I: “The Last Historian,” Chapter 13?
6. What does Dr. Pam inject into Zombie’s neck in Part II: “Wonderland”? Why?
7. How is the character of Ringer described in Part VI: “The Human Clay”?
8. What is the significance of the title of Part V: “The Winnowing”?
9. What conclusion does Evan reach after hearing of Cassie’s story and objective in Part IV: “Mayfly”?
10. Where did Cassie’s family travel after the death of Mrs. Sullivan? How far was their journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trust in The 5th Wave
a. Discuss the theme of trust in the novel. How does Cassie view trust during the alien invasion? How have her feelings about trusting others changed in the course of the story?
b. Discuss the theme of trust as it applies to Sammy and Ben in the narrative. Why does Sammy trust Ben?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Sammy in The 5th Wave. How old is Sammy? What item does Cassie keep with her to remind her of her promise to her brother? What characteristics does Sammy exhibit as a narrator in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of trust in the novel. How is this theme developed through Cassie’s character in the narrative? What are some examples of symbolism relating to the theme of trust? How does this theme drive the plot of the narrative?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)