|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zombie’s squad number in Part VI: “The Human Clay,” Chapter 43?
2. What friend of Cassie’s is shot by a soldier at the camp, who then turns his gun on Cassie but she shoots him first in Part I: “The Last Historian”?
3. How many people does Cassie say were at the camp, not counting the kids who left on the buses, in Part I: “The Last Historian,” Chapter 23?
4. How old was Ben’s sister Sissy when she was abducted and Ben was unable to save her?
5. What does Cassie call the camp where she and her family took refuge during the first attacks in Part I: “The Last Historian”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mr. Sullivan to finally express suspicion of the objectives of the authority figures in Part I: “The Last Historian”?
2. What does the teddy bear that Cassie carries in the novel represent symbolically?
3. What does Zombie learn from his encounter with Chris in Part II: “Wonderland”?
4. Whom does Cassie Sullivan kill in Part I: “The Last Historian”? What does she discover about this character after he’s been shot?
5. How is the character of Ringer described in Part VI: “The Human Clay”?
6. Who is the narrator in Part I: “The Last Historian”? What information is related to the reader in the first chapters of the story?
7. How does the narrative perspective change in Part III: “Silencer”?
8. How did Cassie’s family perceive the aliens when they first arrived, as seen through flashback in Part I: “The Last Historian”?
9. What conclusion does Evan reach after hearing of Cassie’s story and objective in Part IV: “Mayfly”?
10. How is Cassie Sullivan described from the perspective of the Silencer in Part III: “Silencer”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of trust in the novel. How is this theme developed through Cassie’s character in the narrative? What are some examples of symbolism relating to the theme of trust? How does this theme drive the plot of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Cassie Sullivan as the protagonist in The 5th Wave. How old is Cassie? Do you relate to this character? Why or why not? What can you ascertain of Cassie’s character based on her narrative style in the first chapters of the book? How does Cassie’s character evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define “irony” in literature and the different forms of irony: verbal irony, dramatic irony, and situational irony. Discuss some examples of irony seen in The 5th Wave. What types of irony is each of these examples? What purpose does the irony serve?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)