|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sammy is given a card with what number on it in Part V: “The Winnowing,” Chapter 39?
2. For how many years does the narrator say the assassin has been doing his work, since the Other awakened inside him, in Part III: “Silencer”?
3. Cassie says in Part I: “The Last Historian” that she was named after what?
4. What color is Evan’s eyes described as being in Part IV: “Mayfly”?
5. Zombie says in Part VI: “The Human Clay,” Chapter 42 that the morning he left the convalescent ward he traded in his flimsy gown for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who narrates Part VI: “The Human Clay”? How does this character introduce himself?
2. What information does Cassie relate to Evan of her observations after the attack in Part IV: “Mayfly”?
3. How is Cassie’s father killed in Part I: “The Last Historian”?
4. How is the reality of life at Camp Haven described in Part VI: “The Human Clay”?
5. What does the Silencer do when Cassie stands up in Part III: “Silencer”?
6. How do Sammy and Ben come to meet in Part VI: “The Human Clay”? By what name is Sammy called?
7. Who encourages Zombie to enroll in the military in Part II: “Wonderland”? How does Zombie respond?
8. How does the narrative perspective change in Part III: “Silencer”?
9. What does Dr. Pam inject into Zombie’s neck in Part II: “Wonderland”? Why?
10. Describe Sammy’s initial “processing” in Part V: “The Winnowing.” Where is he taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Parker in the novel. What is Parker’s position within the company on the school buses? How does Parker succeed in allaying Sammy’s fears? What is later revealed about Parker’s character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Hutchfield in the novel. How long has Hutchfield been in control of the camp at Ashpit? What is his title? How does he greet Cassie’s family when they arrive?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of trust in the novel. How is this theme developed through Cassie’s character in the narrative? What are some examples of symbolism relating to the theme of trust? How does this theme drive the plot of the narrative?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)