|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ben’s middle name in the novel?
2. The narrator in the opening of Part X: “A Thousand Ways,” Chapter 78 says, “The minute Vosch leaves, a clock inside my head begins to tick. No, not a clock. More like a timer ticking down to” what?
3. Who threatens to mutiny because he feels Zombie is a poor leader in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
4. Cassie tells Ben in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 83 that she sits in front of him in what class?
(a) Honors Geometry.
(b) Honors History.
(c) Honors Chemistry.
(d) Honors English.
5. From how many wounds is the narrator bleeding in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion does the narrator reach regarding the explosions in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
2. What name does Cassie whisper in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 91, saying that it’s Evan’s name for her?
3. The three people that Cassie finds that have been shot by Evan in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain,” Chapter 69 are described as no older than what age?
4. The initials “C.S.” are scratched into Cassie’s M-16. What does she say those initials stand for in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill,” Chapter 54?
5. Where does Cassie tell Sammy their father is waiting for them in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 83?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Evan explain his relationship to the Others in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain”?
2. How does Evan respond when Cassie confronts him about what she found in the barn in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
3. Who narrates Part X: “A Thousand Ways”? What is the setting that opens this section of the novel?
4. What choice is Cassie given in order to save Sammy in Part XIII: “The Black Hole”?
5. How does the author effectively build tension in the narrative in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
6. How does Cassie progress in making her way into the compound in Part XI: “The Infinite Sea”?
7. What obstacles are faced by the narrator in the course of Part X: “A Thousand Ways”?
8. What theme dominates Part VII: “The Heart to Kill” How is this theme illustrated?
9. What aspect of Evan’s physicality causes Cassie to doubt his intentions in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
10. What does Cassie find in the barn at Evan’s farm in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”? How does she react?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)