|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cassie thinks to herself when she is ordered to halt in Part XI: “The Infinite Sea,” “There may be some human adults in positions of authority, but knowing Vosch, I doubt it. So if it’s an adult, and especially if it’s an officer, I think you can assume they are” what?
(a) “Not the enemy.”
(b) “Not friendly.”
(c) “Not human.”
(d) “Not aliens.”
2. In the end of Part VII: “The Heart to Kill,” Chapter 55, Evan tells Cassie, “Before I found you, I thought the only way to hold on was to find something to live for. It isn’t. To hold on, you have to find something you’re” what?
(a) “Willing to kill for.”
(b) “Willing to let go of.”
(c) “Willing to be hurt for.”
(d) “Willing to die for.”
3. What conclusion does the narrator reach regarding the explosions in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
(a) Nugget has infiltrated the main computers.
(b) Cassie Sullivan is blowing up the base.
(c) Colonel Vosch is blowing up the base.
(d) Evan is blowing up the base.
4. The initials “C.S.” are scratched into Cassie’s M-16. What does she say those initials stand for in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill,” Chapter 54?
(a) “Completely Sodden.”
(b) “Completely Scared.”
(c) “Completely Stupid.”
(d) “Completely Strange.”
5. Who threatens to mutiny because he feels Zombie is a poor leader in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
Short Answer Questions
1. The 5th Wave is described in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance” as what?
2. The narrator in the opening of Part X: “A Thousand Ways,” Chapter 78 says, “The minute Vosch leaves, a clock inside my head begins to tick. No, not a clock. More like a timer ticking down to” what?
3. Who pushes a “kill button” on the electronic device and succeeds in breaking his own neck in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
4. Kistner tells the narrator in Part X: “A Thousand Ways,” Chapter 78 that they’ve gone to what threat level?
5. What does Sammy tell Cassie his name is now in Part XIII: “The Black Hole,” Chapter 83?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cassie find in the barn at Evan’s farm in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”? How does she react?
2. How does Evan explain his relationship to the Others in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain”?
3. How does Evan respond when Cassie confronts him about what she found in the barn in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
4. How does Cassie go about infiltrating Camp Haven in Part IX: “A Flower to the Rain”?
5. What obstacles are faced by the narrator in the course of Part X: “A Thousand Ways”?
6. How does the author effectively build tension in the narrative in Part XII: “Because of Kistner”?
7. How is Squad 53’s arrival on the battlefield described in Part VIII: “The Spirit of Vengeance”?
8. What choice is Cassie given in order to save Sammy in Part XIII: “The Black Hole”?
9. What does Cassie promise herself as she makes her way toward Sammy in Part XI: “The Infinite Sea”?
10. What aspect of Evan’s physicality causes Cassie to doubt his intentions in Part VII: “The Heart to Kill”?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)