|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prospero and Miranda were given provisions and books on the boat by
2. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
3. The ship passengers' increasing fear and anxiety are the result of
4. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
5. What does Trinculo want to do with Caliban in order to make money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ferdinand's and Miranda's positive qualities function in terms of the other characters?
2. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
3. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
4. Why does Miranda regret telling Ferdinand her name so quickly?
5. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
6. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
7. How do you think Miranda's and Ferdinand's union can positively affect Prospero?
8. In Act III, Scene I, what contrasts are shown between Ferdinand and Miranda?
9. Alonso helped Antonio usurp Prospero's throne. Why does Prospero have Ariel lull him to sleep? What does this scene say about Alonso's character?
10. When Caliban starts babbling to Stephano and Trinculo about what he can show them on the island, what is Trinculo's initial thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the musical scenes in The Tempest? What do they do for the plot? The characters? The audience? Cite examples from the play and bear in mind Shakespeare's contemporary period.
Essay Topic 2
Antonio's character is tested by Prospero throughout the course of the play. Is he truly remorseful for his past wrongdoings, or does he just feel threatened by Prospero? Why, or why not? Cite examples from scenes where Antonio is tested by Prospero and explain how Antonio passes or fails those tests.
Essay Topic 3
Who and what is Ariel? He was already on the island before Prospero arrived, but all of the other spirits are conjured by Prospero. They only exist within the play because Prospero bids them. Does Ariel fall into this category, or is he an independent spirit? If Ariel has his own magical powers, why does he serve Prospero when he could use his powers to leave? Support your response with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)