|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to render Ferdinand defenseless after he draws his sword, Prospero
2. Alonso is the king of
3. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
4. Although coming from different worlds, Miranda and Ferdinand are similar because of their
5. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, Scene I, Ariel lulls Gonzalo, Adrian and Alonso to sleep. Why not Antonio and Sebastian?
2. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
3. What is the metaphorical significance of the storm at sea in the exposition of the play?
4. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Antonio's character and why?
5. How can Prospero's use/treatment of Miranda be characterized?
6. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
7. Alonso helped Antonio usurp Prospero's throne. Why does Prospero have Ariel lull him to sleep? What does this scene say about Alonso's character?
8. How is Act I, Scene II with Miranda and Ferdinand a kind of exposition for the plot?
9. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
10. How does the audience learn about Ariel's past on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the exposition within a story? What does it do? Where in The Tempest is the exposition? Think about character development, plot and foreshadowing of events to come. Cite examples from the play's exposition that accomplish these objectives.
Essay Topic 2
Does Prospero truly undergo a "transformation" by the end of The Tempest? What is the evidence to prove or disprove this?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)