|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alonso's son is
2. Prior to Prospero releasing him, Ariel was stuck for twelve years in a
3. Although coming from different worlds, Miranda and Ferdinand are similar because of their
4. What does Miranda urge Ferdinand to do while he is working?
5. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise Ariel yet again?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, Scene II, why does Caliban drop to the ground when Trinculo appears?
2. How does Caliban parallel some of Prospero's characteristics in Act II, Scene II?
3. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
4. How does the tempest created by Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano come to an end after they put on the gaudy clothes?
5. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
6. Why does Prospero, in Act IV, Scene I, decide to torment Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban rather than continue his revenge on Antonio?
7. How do you think Miranda's and Ferdinand's union can positively affect Prospero?
8. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
9. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
10. In Act V, Scene I, what is a clue that Antonio and Sebastian are not as repentant of their past misdeeds as Alonso?
Essay Topic 1
Does Prospero truly undergo a "transformation" by the end of The Tempest? What is the evidence to prove or disprove this?
Essay Topic 2
Although the metaphor of a tempest suggests an unnatural upheaval in nature that then returns the environment back to normal, is this the case in the play? Do things return to normal by the play's end? Is there more ambiguity than the idea of a tempest suggests? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title "The Tempest"? What does it symbolize? Cite specific examples of how this symbolism is used in the play.
This section contains 1,688 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)