|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda do when Ferdinand confesses his love for her?
2. Prospero tells Miranda that in order to usurp his power, Antonio allied himself with
3. How does Antonio convince Sebastian to go along with the plan in Act II, Scene I?
4. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
5. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caliban parallel some of Prospero's characteristics in Act II, Scene II?
2. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
3. Why does Prospero create the tempest? What is his initial incentive?
4. How does the audience learn about Ariel's past on the island?
5. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
6. How can Prospero's use/treatment of Miranda be characterized?
7. What does the initial scene at sea foreshadow in the play?
8. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
9. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
10. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Based on Prospero's character throughout the play and your personal thoughts on whether or not he truly underwent a "transformation," write an epilogue for The Tempest. Five or ten years following their departure from the island, write what you believe would happen over the course of that time given what you understand about the play and what seems most logical. What happens to all of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio's character is tested by Prospero throughout the course of the play. Is he truly remorseful for his past wrongdoings, or does he just feel threatened by Prospero? Why, or why not? Cite examples from scenes where Antonio is tested by Prospero and explain how Antonio passes or fails those tests.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)