|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act II, Scene II, what is Caliban doing?
2. Who is watching Ferdinand and Miranda from a distance in Act III, Scene I?
3. What does Miranda offer to Ferdinand while he is working?
4. What does Miranda do when Ferdinand confesses his love for her?
5. Prospero gained his power from his books and
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tempest in Ariel's and Prospero's relationship?
2. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
3. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
4. In Act V, Scene I, what is a clue that Antonio and Sebastian are not as repentant of their past misdeeds as Alonso?
5. In Act III, Scene I, what contrasts are shown between Ferdinand and Miranda?
6. In Act II, Scene I, Ariel lulls Gonzalo, Adrian and Alonso to sleep. Why not Antonio and Sebastian?
7. What is the significance of Gonzalo's comment about the gentleness of the spirits at the banquet?
8. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
9. Following the magical performance with dancing spirits, Prospero recites one of two famous soliloquies. What does he speak of in the soliloquy and who does he parallel with this soliloquy?
10. What does the drunken Stephano think he sees when he happens upon Caliban and Trinculo?
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the musical scenes in The Tempest? What do they do for the plot? The characters? The audience? Cite examples from the play and bear in mind Shakespeare's contemporary period.
Essay Topic 2
Although the metaphor of a tempest suggests an unnatural upheaval in nature that then returns the environment back to normal, is this the case in the play? Do things return to normal by the play's end? Is there more ambiguity than the idea of a tempest suggests? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Does Prospero truly undergo a "transformation" by the end of The Tempest? What is the evidence to prove or disprove this?
This section contains 1,698 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)