|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miranda urge Ferdinand not to work so hard?
2. How does one character finally get Caliban to calm down in Act II, Scene II?
3. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
4. As Caliban becomes drunk, what is one of the things he promises to Trinculo and Stephano?
5. The only nobleman who has a calm and positive attitude during the storm at sea is
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
2. What does the drunken Stephano think he sees when he happens upon Caliban and Trinculo?
3. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
4. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Antonio's character and why?
5. In Act III, Scene I, what contrasts are shown between Ferdinand and Miranda?
6. When Caliban starts babbling to Stephano and Trinculo about what he can show them on the island, what is Trinculo's initial thought?
7. In Act II, Scene II, why does Caliban drop to the ground when Trinculo appears?
8. How does Act II, Scene I further character development for the audience?
9. How is Act I, Scene II with Miranda and Ferdinand a kind of exposition for the plot?
10. In Act II, Scene I, Ariel lulls Gonzalo, Adrian and Alonso to sleep. Why not Antonio and Sebastian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alonso's character is the only person to appear remorseful for his past misdeeds. Do you believe his remorse to be genuine, or is he as unrepentant as Antonio and Sebastian? Why, or why not? Cite evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Prospero is a puppet master. Evaluate this statement by examining his relationships with others and why you believe it to be true or false. Cite examples from the play that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title "The Tempest"? What does it symbolize? Cite specific examples of how this symbolism is used in the play.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)