|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferdinand say about Miranda in comparison to all of the women he has encountered?
2. When Ferdinand sees Miranda for the first time, he believes she is a
3. What does Caliban beg of Stephano when he first meets him?
4. What does Miranda impulsively do in Act III, Scene I?
5. In order to render Ferdinand defenseless after he draws his sword, Prospero
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Prospero's use/treatment of Miranda be characterized?
2. How does the audience learn about Ariel's past on the island?
3. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
4. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
5. Alonso helped Antonio usurp Prospero's throne. Why does Prospero have Ariel lull him to sleep? What does this scene say about Alonso's character?
6. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
7. How is Act I, Scene II with Miranda and Ferdinand a kind of exposition for the plot?
8. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
9. In Act II, Scene II, why does Caliban drop to the ground when Trinculo appears?
10. How are Miranda and Ferdinand different, but also the same?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who and what is Ariel? He was already on the island before Prospero arrived, but all of the other spirits are conjured by Prospero. They only exist within the play because Prospero bids them. Does Ariel fall into this category, or is he an independent spirit? If Ariel has his own magical powers, why does he serve Prospero when he could use his powers to leave? Support your response with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Is Caliban a monster? Is he simply a product of his environment? Argue this question, citing specific examples from the play that either prove or disprove his humanity. What do you think Shakespeare intended?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)