|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antonio's treatment of Prospero when they were in Milan mirrors
2. Prospero gives Ferdinand a hard time in order to
3. Prior to Prospero's arrival on the island, Ariel was imprisoned by
4. The tempest is a symbolic form of an upheaval from a state of
5. What keeps Ferdinand going as he does Prospero's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Caliban starts babbling to Stephano and Trinculo about what he can show them on the island, what is Trinculo's initial thought?
2. What is the tempest in Ariel's and Prospero's relationship?
3. How do Ferdinand's and Miranda's positive qualities function in terms of the other characters?
4. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
5. How can Prospero's use/treatment of Miranda be characterized?
6. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
7. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
8. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
9. How does the audience learn about Caliban's past on the island?
10. What is the metaphorical significance of the storm at sea in the exposition of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prospero was always interested in studying and learning, and he applied these interests to his magic book on the island. He uses the powers he gained from the book to teach his enemies a lesson. Was Prospero simply delighting in the use of his magical powers? If so, is it logical to think he will just give them up as he claims he will? Why, or why not? Cite examples from the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Miranda and Ferdinand's union? Is it true love, or a scheme orchestrated by Prospero? What role does it play in "The Tempest?" Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title "The Tempest"? What does it symbolize? Cite specific examples of how this symbolism is used in the play.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)