|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda offer to Ferdinand while he is working?
2. What sets Alonso apart from Antonio in Prospero's eyes?
3. Prior to Prospero releasing him, Ariel was stuck for twelve years in a
4. Ferdinand is surprised by Miranda, because she
5. Alonso's daughter was married in
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
2. How does the audience learn about Caliban's past on the island?
3. What is the metaphorical significance of the storm at sea in the exposition of the play?
4. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
5. Why does Prospero, in Act IV, Scene I, decide to torment Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban rather than continue his revenge on Antonio?
6. In Prospero's final speech at the play's end, what is the significance of his contemplation of his death? How does it link to his now ended revenge?
7. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
8. How does a tempest begin with the Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban subplot?
9. What does the initial scene at sea foreshadow in the play?
10. How does the tempest created by Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano come to an end after they put on the gaudy clothes?
Essay Topic 1
Prospero uses his magic to conjure a banquet for his enemies. Why does he do this, rather than use his magic in a different way to punish them? What is the significance of the banquet? What was Shakespeare's intention with the inclusion of this scene?
Essay Topic 2
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Who and what is Ariel? He was already on the island before Prospero arrived, but all of the other spirits are conjured by Prospero. They only exist within the play because Prospero bids them. Does Ariel fall into this category, or is he an independent spirit? If Ariel has his own magical powers, why does he serve Prospero when he could use his powers to leave? Support your response with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)