|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antonio castigates the Boatswain during the storm, because he believes the sailors are
2. Who chastises Alonso for allowing his daughter to marry an African?
3. Trinculo wants to take Caliban back to where?
4. Why does Ferdinand prefer not to do Prospero's work?
5. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise to Ariel for the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
2. How does the audience learn about Ariel's past on the island?
3. In Act III, Scene I, Ferdinand recites a soliloquy as he stacks wood. What does he talk about?
4. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
5. In Act III, Scene I, what contrasts are shown between Ferdinand and Miranda?
6. In Act II, Scene I, Ariel lulls Gonzalo, Adrian and Alonso to sleep. Why not Antonio and Sebastian?
7. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
8. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
9. What is the basic understanding of Antonio's and Prospero's history?
10. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shakespearean plays tend to have comic relief characters to lighten the drama that is taking place. Describe the characters involved in the Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano trio. What are the comical elements of their scenes? How do they make light of the more serious subplots in the play? What do their scenes do for the play's plot?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title "The Tempest"? What does it symbolize? Cite specific examples of how this symbolism is used in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Antonio used Prospero and took advantage of him fifteen years prior to the play in Milan. Can it be argued that Alonso was as much a victim of Antonio's manipulation as Prospero was? What about Sebastian? Support your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)