|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero think about Ferdinand's and Miranda's attraction to each other?
2. Why does Prospero tell the story of their past to Miranda?
3. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
4. The two men who retreat to their cabins during the storm are
5. What does Miranda do when Ferdinand confesses his love for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
2. In Act III, Scene I, Ferdinand recites a soliloquy as he stacks wood. What does he talk about?
3. Why does Prospero create the tempest? What is his initial incentive?
4. How is Act I, Scene II with Miranda and Ferdinand a kind of exposition for the plot?
5. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
6. How do Ferdinand's and Miranda's positive qualities function in terms of the other characters?
7. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
8. How can Prospero's use/treatment of Miranda be characterized?
9. How does the audience learn about Ariel's past on the island?
10. How does the audience learn about Caliban's past on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prospero is a puppet master. Evaluate this statement by examining his relationships with others and why you believe it to be true or false. Cite examples from the play that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Who and what is Ariel? He was already on the island before Prospero arrived, but all of the other spirits are conjured by Prospero. They only exist within the play because Prospero bids them. Does Ariel fall into this category, or is he an independent spirit? If Ariel has his own magical powers, why does he serve Prospero when he could use his powers to leave? Support your response with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title "The Tempest"? What does it symbolize? Cite specific examples of how this symbolism is used in the play.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)