|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act IV, Scene I, Prospero's speech mirrors that of which other character?
2. What does Alonso wonder about when he sees that Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban are intoxicated?
(a) If Prospero made them drunk.
(b) When their intoxication will wear off.
(c) If their intoxication came from something they ate on the island.
(d) Where they procured the wine.
3. Who does Prospero feel betrayed by in Act IV, Scene I?
4. Who accuses Alonso, Antonio and Sebastian of being the men of sin?
(c) The dancing spirits.
5. What does Prospero bury in the earth?
(a) A map of the island.
(b) His magical staff.
(c) His magic book.
(d) Letters he has written.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the parallel to Trinculo and Stephano dressing up in borrowed clothes?
2. What does Prospero tell the spirits to do?
3. What does Stephano admit to Prospero at the end of the play?
4. What are Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban arguing about in their drunken stupor?
5. Who pretends to be Trinculo and interrupts Stephano's and Caliban's conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
2. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
3. Do you think Prospero will actually give up his magic? He only talks of it, but does not actually do it. Why or why not?
4. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
5. Describe the tempest and how it is developed metaphorically throughout the play and eventually ended.
6. In Prospero's final speech at the play's end, what is the significance of his contemplation of his death? How does it link to his now ended revenge?
7. In Act V, Scene I, what is a clue that Antonio and Sebastian are not as repentant of their past misdeeds as Alonso?
8. How does Ariel meddle with the Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban trio in Scene II of Act III?
9. How does Ariel instill remorse in some of the characters when he appears following the banquet?
10. In Act V, Scene I, why does Prospero whisper to Antonio and Sebastian that he knows of their plans to kill Alonso?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)