|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the banquet supposed to elicit in the men?
2. In Act IV, Scene I, Prospero's speech mirrors that of which other character?
3. In the false banquet scene, what characteristic of Gonzalo is revealed that he shares with Miranda and Ferdinand?
4. Why does Prospero want the men to see a banquet and then have it taken away?
(a) To allow Ariel to feel what power is like.
(b) To exert his own power over them.
(c) To show them that their power is fleeting.
(d) So that they will starve.
5. What does Prospero bury in the earth?
(a) A map of the island.
(b) Letters he has written.
(c) His magic book.
(d) His magical staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. While discussing the plan with Caliban, what is Stephano's main objective?
2. After sending Ariel to release the men from the cave, what does Prospero vow to do?
3. In Act IV, Scene I, how is Prospero feeling toward Caliban?
4. In the false banquet scene, Gonzalo catches on to Antonio's and Sebastian's plan but identifies the wrong motivation for it. What does he believe their motivation to be?
5. Which character says: "We are such stuff/As dreams are made on"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spirits does Prospero summon for the magical performance when he sees Ferdinand getting too close to Miranda?
2. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
3. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
4. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
5. In Act V, Scene I, why does Prospero whisper to Antonio and Sebastian that he knows of their plans to kill Alonso?
6. How does Ariel meddle with the Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban trio in Scene II of Act III?
7. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
8. What is the significance of Gonzalo's comment about the gentleness of the spirits at the banquet?
9. How, or how not, is Prospero similar to Antonio in Act IV, Scene I?
10. In Act V, Scene I, what is a clue that Antonio and Sebastian are not as repentant of their past misdeeds as Alonso?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)