|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prospero distracts the three men from their plan of revenge; who distracts Prospero from his?
2. Who provides music and sings along with Stephano and Trinculo?
3. What does Prospero realize about himself when Ariel tells him about the men in the cave?
(a) That all he desired was their apology.
(b) That he is delighted the men are so miserable.
(c) That he is mad with power.
(d) That he does not want to leave the island.
4. What does Prospero say to Antonio and Sebastian on the side?
(a) That they are evil people.
(b) That he knows about their assassination plan.
(c) That he will kill them if they kill Alonso.
(d) That he does not really forgive them.
5. In his soliloquy in Act IV, Scene I, what does Prospero insinuate a personal connection to?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the false banquet scene, Gonzalo catches on to Antonio's and Sebastian's plan but identifies the wrong motivation for it. What does he believe their motivation to be?
2. What does Prospero tease Stephano about at the end of the play?
3. What sound does Prospero conjure to frighten Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
4. Who are "the rabble"?
5. What does Prospero say about Caliban's distorted looks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the magical performance with dancing spirits, Prospero recites one of two famous soliloquies. What does he speak of in the soliloquy and who does he parallel with this soliloquy?
2. Describe Prospero's journey that leads to his transformation at the end of the play.
3. Do you think Prospero will actually give up his magic? He only talks of it, but does not actually do it. Why or why not?
4. What does Prospero do following his revelation about the futility of revenge and his self realization?
5. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
6. What is the significance of Gonzalo's comment about the gentleness of the spirits at the banquet?
7. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
8. Who does Prospero refer to as "the rabble" prior to the magical performance with the dancing spirits?
9. What spirits does Prospero summon for the magical performance when he sees Ferdinand getting too close to Miranda?
10. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)