|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are "the rabble"?
(a) Gonzalo, Miranda and Ferdinand.
(b) Alonso, Antonio and Sebastian.
(c) Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban.
(d) Ariel, Prospero and Miranda.
2. After sending Ariel to release the men from the cave, what does Prospero vow to do?
(a) Let go of his power and release the spirits.
(b) Break up the union between Miranda and Ferdinand.
(c) Not to rest until his revenge is complete.
(d) Kill Antonio, Sebastian and Alonso.
3. Who provides music and sings along with Stephano and Trinculo?
4. What does Prospero throw into the ocean?
(a) His old crown.
(b) His king's robe.
(c) His magic book.
(d) His magical staff.
5. Who does Caliban talk about at length to Stephano?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero comment on in regard to Antonio and Sebastian?
2. What does the banquet scene reveal about Alonso, Sebastian and Antonio?
3. What does Alonso wonder about when he sees that Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban are intoxicated?
4. Who does Ariel bring back at Prospero's request?
5. Who does Prospero feel betrayed by in Act IV, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ariel instill remorse in some of the characters when he appears following the banquet?
2. Describe the tempest and how it is developed metaphorically throughout the play and eventually ended.
3. In Act V, Scene I, what is a clue that Antonio and Sebastian are not as repentant of their past misdeeds as Alonso?
4. What is the significance of Gonzalo's comment about the gentleness of the spirits at the banquet?
5. In Act V, Scene I, why does Prospero whisper to Antonio and Sebastian that he knows of their plans to kill Alonso?
6. In Prospero's final speech at the play's end, what is the significance of his contemplation of his death? How does it link to his now ended revenge?
7. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
8. How does Ariel meddle with the Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban trio in Scene II of Act III?
9. How, or how not, is Prospero similar to Antonio in Act IV, Scene I?
10. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)