|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prospero promises to free Ariel in
(a) Two days.
(b) In a week.
(c) In three days.
(d) In one day.
2. What does Miranda do in response to Ferdinand's declaration of his love for her?
(a) She becomes frightened and calls Prospero.
(b) She lets him go free.
(c) She tells him that she does not feel the same.
(d) She offers to marry him.
3. The only two men Miranda has seen prior to meeting Ferdinand are
(a) Prospero and Gonzalo.
(b) Prospero and Caliban.
(c) Prospero and Trinculo.
(d) Prospero and Ferdinand.
4. What is one of the things Caliban promises to Stephano and Trinculo in his drunken state?
(a) To show them the magical secrets of the island.
(b) That he will protect them from harm.
(c) To lead them back home.
(d) That he will take them to their ship.
5. Prospero tells Miranda that in order to usurp his power, Antonio allied himself with
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda urge Ferdinand to do while he is working?
2. What does the scene between Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban provide to the reader?
3. What does Ferdinand say about Miranda in comparison to all of the women he has encountered?
4. Ariel lets the other ships return to Naples in order to
5. Who thwarts Antonio's and Sebastian's plan in Act II, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the metaphorical significance of the storm at sea in the exposition of the play?
2. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
3. How does the audience learn about Ariel's past on the island?
4. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
5. What does the drunken Stephano think he sees when he happens upon Caliban and Trinculo?
6. How do you think Miranda's and Ferdinand's union can positively affect Prospero?
7. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
8. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
9. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
10. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)