|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
(a) He is too old for his daughter.
(b) He is everything he had hoped he would be.
(c) He will force Ferdinand into servitude.
(d) He will have him duel with Caliban.
2. How long ago was Antonio's usurpation of Prospero's throne in Milan?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Fifteen years.
3. What is Prospero's reasoning for why Miranda believes that Ferdinand is the most beautiful man she has ever known?
(a) He treats her well and loves her.
(b) He is intelligent and understands her.
(c) She has only ever seen Prospero and Caliban before him.
(d) He is a prince and will inherit the kingdom of Naples.
4. The two spirits who reside on the island with Prospero and Miranda are
(a) Caliban and Ariel.
(b) Caliban and Trinculo.
(c) Trinculo and Ariel.
(d) Trinculo and Stephano.
5. Why does Miranda urge Ferdinand not to work so hard?
(a) She wants him to spend time with her.
(b) He will hurt himself.
(c) He will overtire too soon.
(d) It upsets her seeing him like that.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ariel leave Antonio and Sebastian awake?
2. Alonso becomes more distraught after losing his son, remembering that he has also lost
3. What does Trinculo believe Caliban to be?
4. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
5. What does Prospero do at the end of Act III, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tempest in Ariel's and Prospero's relationship?
2. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
3. How does the audience learn about Ariel's past on the island?
4. Why does Miranda regret telling Ferdinand her name so quickly?
5. How are Miranda and Ferdinand different, but also the same?
6. How do you think Miranda's and Ferdinand's union can positively affect Prospero?
7. Why does Prospero create the tempest? What is his initial incentive?
8. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
9. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
10. What is the basic understanding of Antonio's and Prospero's history?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)