|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is not lulled to sleep in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Gonzalo and Sebastian.
(b) Alonso and Sebastian.
(c) Antonio and Sebastian.
(d) Antonio and Gonzalo.
2. At the beginning of Act III, Scene I, what does Prospero have Ferdinand doing?
(a) Mending his clothes.
(b) Building a fire.
(c) Stacking firewood.
(d) Preparing food.
3. When awakened, Alonso asks Sebastian and Antonio why they have their swords drawn. What is their excuse?
(a) They were having a heated argument.
(b) They heard something and were preparing to protect everyone.
(c) They were seeing whose sword was bigger.
(d) They were practicing their swordsmanship.
4. Although coming from different worlds, Miranda and Ferdinand are similar because of their
(a) Moral beliefs.
5. The two men who retreat to their cabins during the storm are
(a) Antonio and Gonzalo.
(b) Alonso and Gonzalo.
(c) Alonso and Antonio.
(d) Alonso and Ferdinand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to Prospero's arrival on the island, Ariel was imprisoned by
2. Caliban is the offspring of
3. Prospero and Miranda were given provisions and books on the boat by
4. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
5. After Ariel completes his duties, Prospero promises to
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Prospero's treatment of Caliban mirror Antonio's past treatment of Prospero?
2. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
3. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
4. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
5. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
6. Why does Prospero create the tempest? What is his initial incentive?
7. How does Act II, Scene I further character development for the audience?
8. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
9. How does the audience learn about Caliban's past on the island?
10. What is the intention of Prospero's plan when he has Ariel lead Ferdinand to Miranda?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)