|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The two men who retreat to their cabins during the storm are
(a) Alonso and Gonzalo.
(b) Alonso and Ferdinand.
(c) Antonio and Gonzalo.
(d) Alonso and Antonio.
2. What keeps Ferdinand going as he does Prospero's work?
(a) His willingness to do anything for Miranda.
(b) The promise of being reunited with his father.
(c) His desire to prove that he is good at everything.
(d) The possibility of being let go and leaving the island.
3. Prospero gives Ferdinand a hard time in order to
(a) Gain his respect.
(b) Keep him away from Miranda.
(c) Anger Alonso.
(d) See his true character.
4. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
5. Caliban is the offspring of
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to Prospero releasing him, Ariel was stuck for twelve years in a
2. Alonso's son is
3. When he was Duke of Milan, Prospero was more interested in
4. Why does Stephano believe that Caliban and Trinculo are some sort of wild beasts when he sees them under the blanket?
5. Who wants to take over the throne of Naples?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tempest and how it is developed metaphorically throughout the play and eventually ended.
2. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
3. How is Act I, Scene II with Miranda and Ferdinand a kind of exposition for the plot?
4. In Act II, Scene I, Ariel lulls Gonzalo, Adrian and Alonso to sleep. Why not Antonio and Sebastian?
5. In Act III, Scene I, what contrasts are shown between Ferdinand and Miranda?
6. What is the intention of Prospero's plan when he has Ariel lead Ferdinand to Miranda?
7. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
8. What is the metaphorical significance of the storm at sea in the exposition of the play?
9. How does Ariel instill remorse in some of the characters when he appears following the banquet?
10. What is the significance of Gonzalo's comment about the gentleness of the spirits at the banquet?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)