|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ferdinand say about Miranda in comparison to all of the women he has encountered?
(a) That she is simple-minded and not as exotic.
(b) That she would not understand royal life.
(c) That she is much nicer than the other women.
(d) That he has never met one as beautiful as she.
2. Prospero seeks revenge against
(a) Antonio, Alonso and Sebastian.
(b) Antonio and Sebastian.
(c) Antonio and Gonzalo.
(d) Alonso and Ferdinand.
3. Although the ship passengers believe the ship is gone, it is actually
(a) At the bottom of the sea.
(b) On fire.
(c) At another island.
4. What does Miranda do when Ferdinand confesses his love for her?
(a) Runs away.
5. What does Prospero do at the end of Act III, Scene I?
(a) Goes looking for Antonio.
(b) Tells Ariel he will free him.
(c) Sends torturous spirits to Caliban.
(d) Returns to studying his magic book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prospero gives Ferdinand a hard time in order to
2. The only two men Miranda has seen prior to meeting Ferdinand are
3. Antonio castigates the Boatswain during the storm, because he believes the sailors are
4. Why does Ariel leave Antonio and Sebastian awake?
5. What does Trinculo want to do with Caliban in order to make money?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, Scene II, why does Caliban drop to the ground when Trinculo appears?
2. What is the intention of Prospero's plan when he has Ariel lead Ferdinand to Miranda?
3. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
4. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
5. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
6. What is the basic understanding of Antonio's and Prospero's history?
7. How does Caliban reveal his humane side in Act III, Scene II?
8. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
9. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
10. How does the tempest created by Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano come to an end after they put on the gaudy clothes?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)