|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ariel lets the other ships return to Naples in order to
(a) Preserve their secret.
(b) Spare their lives.
(c) Tell the kingdom the king is dead.
(d) Tell everyone where Prospero is.
2. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise to Ariel for the second time?
(a) To bring him back to Milan with Prospero.
(b) To allow him to marry Miranda.
(c) To free him once he completes Prospero's orders.
(d) To put him back in the tree if he does not obey.
3. What is Prospero's reasoning for why Miranda believes that Ferdinand is the most beautiful man she has ever known?
(a) She has only ever seen Prospero and Caliban before him.
(b) He is a prince and will inherit the kingdom of Naples.
(c) He treats her well and loves her.
(d) He is intelligent and understands her.
4. The Tempest is considered one of Shakespeare's
(a) Earlier works.
(b) Later works.
(c) Modern works.
(d) Romantic works.
5. When he was Duke of Milan, Prospero turned his duties over to
(a) His loyal subjects.
(b) The queen.
(c) His council.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alonso's daughter was married in
2. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
3. What does Ferdinand say he is willing to do to win Miranda?
4. Who chastises Alonso for allowing his daughter to marry an African?
5. Why does Stephano believe that Caliban and Trinculo are some sort of wild beasts when he sees them under the blanket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
2. How do you think Miranda's and Ferdinand's union can positively affect Prospero?
3. What is the basic understanding of Antonio's and Prospero's history?
4. How does the audience learn about Caliban's past on the island?
5. In Act II, Scene I, Ariel lulls Gonzalo, Adrian and Alonso to sleep. Why not Antonio and Sebastian?
6. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
7. When Caliban starts babbling to Stephano and Trinculo about what he can show them on the island, what is Trinculo's initial thought?
8. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
9. How do Ferdinand's and Miranda's positive qualities function in terms of the other characters?
10. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)