|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prospero gained his power from his books and
(b) The island.
(d) The boat.
2. What is the strange noise that Gonzalo claims he heard?
(a) Alonso talking in his sleep.
(b) Ariel's singing.
(c) Antonio's and Sebastian's whispering.
(d) Twigs breaking.
3. Alonso's son is
4. Prospero accuses Ferdinand of
(a) Polluting the island.
(c) Wanting to rape Miranda.
(d) Wanting to steal the island.
5. Who wants to take over the throne of Naples?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise Ariel yet again?
2. What does Trinculo believe Caliban to be?
3. What does the scene between Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban provide to the reader?
4. When awakened, Alonso asks Sebastian and Antonio why they have their swords drawn. What is their excuse?
5. Which of the lords is the only person who tries comforting Alonso, who believes his son is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
2. How does Prospero's treatment of Caliban mirror Antonio's past treatment of Prospero?
3. How are Miranda and Ferdinand different, but also the same?
4. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
5. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
6. Alonso helped Antonio usurp Prospero's throne. Why does Prospero have Ariel lull him to sleep? What does this scene say about Alonso's character?
7. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
8. How do Ferdinand's and Miranda's positive qualities function in terms of the other characters?
9. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
10. How do you think Miranda's and Ferdinand's union can positively affect Prospero?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)