|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ship passengers' increasing fear and anxiety are the result of
(a) Something they ate.
(b) Landing on a strange island.
(c) The ship breaking apart.
(d) Ariel's illusions.
2. Prospero and Miranda were given provisions and books on the boat by
3. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Run away.
(b) Assassinate Alonso.
(c) Look for Ferdinand
(d) Assassinate Gonzalo.
4. What is one thing about Caliban that Stephano finds amazing?
(a) His stupidity.
(b) His ability to talk.
(c) His garish robe.
(d) His willingness to serve.
5. Who thwarts Antonio's and Sebastian's plan in Act II, Scene I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Sebastian's reservations about Antonio's plan in Act II, Scene I?
2. As Caliban becomes drunk, what is one of the things he promises to Trinculo and Stephano?
3. What does Trinculo want to do with Caliban in order to make money?
4. What does Prospero think about Ferdinand's and Miranda's attraction to each other?
5. When awakened, Alonso asks Sebastian and Antonio why they have their swords drawn. What is their excuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
2. What is the tempest in Ariel's and Prospero's relationship?
3. Why does Miranda regret telling Ferdinand her name so quickly?
4. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
5. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
6. In Act III, Scene I, what contrasts are shown between Ferdinand and Miranda?
7. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
8. In Act III, Scene I, Ferdinand recites a soliloquy as he stacks wood. What does he talk about?
9. When Caliban starts babbling to Stephano and Trinculo about what he can show them on the island, what is Trinculo's initial thought?
10. How does Caliban parallel some of Prospero's characteristics in Act II, Scene II?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)