|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The only nobleman who has a calm and positive attitude during the storm at sea is
2. Which of the lords is the only person who tries comforting Alonso, who believes his son is gone?
3. Prospero accuses Ferdinand of
(b) Polluting the island.
(c) Wanting to rape Miranda.
(d) Wanting to steal the island.
4. What does Prospero do at the end of Act III, Scene I?
(a) Returns to studying his magic book.
(b) Goes looking for Antonio.
(c) Tells Ariel he will free him.
(d) Sends torturous spirits to Caliban.
5. What is the true motivation behind Prospero's grand plan for Miranda and Ferdinand?
(a) It is not specifically defined.
(b) That it is a good union that will bring Naples and Milan together.
(c) That it will spite Alonso and any plans he had for his son.
(d) That it will finally get him and his daughter off of the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda tell Ferdinand after he meets Prospero for the first time?
2. How long ago was Antonio's usurpation of Prospero's throne in Milan?
3. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
4. What does Caliban beg of Stephano when he first meets him?
5. What does Prospero think about Ferdinand's and Miranda's attraction to each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the audience learn about Ariel's past on the island?
2. How is Act I, Scene II with Miranda and Ferdinand a kind of exposition for the plot?
3. What is the metaphorical significance of the storm at sea in the exposition of the play?
4. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Antonio's character and why?
5. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
6. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
7. What is the tempest in Ariel's and Prospero's relationship?
8. What does the drunken Stephano think he sees when he happens upon Caliban and Trinculo?
9. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
10. In Act II, Scene II, why does Caliban drop to the ground when Trinculo appears?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)