|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ariel completes his duties, Prospero promises to
(a) Let him marry Miranda.
(b) Free him.
(c) Knight him.
(d) Teach him his magic.
2. The only nobleman who has a calm and positive attitude during the storm at sea is
3. Antonio castigates the Boatswain during the storm, because he believes the sailors are
4. The two spirits who reside on the island with Prospero and Miranda are
(a) Caliban and Trinculo.
(b) Trinculo and Ariel.
(c) Caliban and Ariel.
(d) Trinculo and Stephano.
5. Although the ship passengers believe the ship is gone, it is actually
(b) On fire.
(c) At another island.
(d) At the bottom of the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
2. Miranda dislikes Caliban, because
3. Prospero accuses Ferdinand of
4. Ferdinand is surprised by Miranda, because she
5. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
2. How does Act II, Scene I further character development for the audience?
3. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
4. What is the intention of Prospero's plan when he has Ariel lead Ferdinand to Miranda?
5. How can Prospero's use/treatment of Miranda be characterized?
6. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
7. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Antonio's character and why?
8. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
9. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
10. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)