|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prospero gained his power from his books and
(b) The boat.
(c) The island.
2. What does the scene between Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban provide to the reader?
(b) Comic relief.
(c) Frightening tension.
(d) Enlightening insight.
3. How long ago was Antonio's usurpation of Prospero's throne in Milan?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Seventeen years.
4. Who is watching Ferdinand and Miranda from a distance in Act III, Scene I?
5. Gonzalo's attempt to comfort his king are mocked by whom?
(a) Antonio, Sebastian and Alonso.
(b) Sebastian, Adrian and Alonso.
(c) Antonio, Sebastian and Adrian
(d) Antonio, Adrian and Alonso.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
2. Antonio's treatment of Prospero when they were in Milan mirrors
3. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
4. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
5. In his soliloquy, what does Ferdinand say makes his job easier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
2. What is the metaphorical significance of the storm at sea in the exposition of the play?
3. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
4. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
5. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
6. What is the intention of Prospero's plan when he has Ariel lead Ferdinand to Miranda?
7. How does the audience learn about Caliban's past on the island?
8. How are Miranda and Ferdinand different, but also the same?
9. When Caliban starts babbling to Stephano and Trinculo about what he can show them on the island, what is Trinculo's initial thought?
10. How do Ferdinand's and Miranda's positive qualities function in terms of the other characters?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)