|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The only two men Miranda has seen prior to meeting Ferdinand are
(a) Prospero and Trinculo.
(b) Prospero and Gonzalo.
(c) Prospero and Ferdinand.
(d) Prospero and Caliban.
2. What does Sebastian wonder about Antonio and his usurpation of Prospero's throne?
(a) If it plagues his conscience.
(b) If he is as courageous as Antonio.
(c) If Antonio will do it to him.
(d) How hard it is to be the king.
3. Trinculo wants to take Caliban back to where?
4. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
(a) Cursing Prospero.
(b) Running from torturous spirits.
(c) Carrying jugs of water.
(d) Looking for Miranda.
5. Ferdinand is the prince of
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
2. Alonso's son is
3. Who chastises Alonso for allowing his daughter to marry an African?
4. Prior to Prospero releasing him, Ariel was stuck for twelve years in a
5. What does Caliban believe Trinculo to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
2. What does the drunken Stephano think he sees when he happens upon Caliban and Trinculo?
3. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
4. Why does Prospero, in Act IV, Scene I, decide to torment Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban rather than continue his revenge on Antonio?
5. How does Gonzalo's understanding about Antonio's and Sebastian's plan reveal a similarity between himself and Ferdinand and Miranda?
6. How does Prospero's treatment of Caliban mirror Antonio's past treatment of Prospero?
7. Why does Prospero conjure the banquet for Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo?
8. In Act II, Scene I, Ariel lulls Gonzalo, Adrian and Alonso to sleep. Why not Antonio and Sebastian?
9. What is the significance of Stephano and Trinculo dressing up in the ostentatious clothing Prospero lays out for them?
10. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)