|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
(a) Because she is too young.
(b) Because she has never done it before.
(c) Because he wants to show off for her.
(d) Because it is too hard for her.
2. At the beginning of Act III, Scene I, what does Prospero have Ferdinand doing?
(a) Building a fire.
(b) Stacking firewood.
(c) Mending his clothes.
(d) Preparing food.
3. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Assassinate Alonso.
(b) Run away.
(c) Assassinate Gonzalo.
(d) Look for Ferdinand
4. Ariel lets the other ships return to Naples in order to
(a) Tell everyone where Prospero is.
(b) Spare their lives.
(c) Preserve their secret.
(d) Tell the kingdom the king is dead.
5. The only two men Miranda has seen prior to meeting Ferdinand are
(a) Prospero and Trinculo.
(b) Prospero and Ferdinand.
(c) Prospero and Caliban.
(d) Prospero and Gonzalo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
2. The ship passengers' increasing fear and anxiety are the result of
3. What sets Alonso apart from Antonio in Prospero's eyes?
4. When he was Duke of Milan, Prospero turned his duties over to
5. Who chastises Alonso for allowing his daughter to marry an African?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ferdinand's and Miranda's positive qualities function in terms of the other characters?
2. What does the initial scene at sea foreshadow in the play?
3. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
4. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
5. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
6. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
7. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Antonio's character and why?
8. Why does Prospero make it difficult for Ferdinand to be with Miranda?
9. How are Miranda and Ferdinand different, but also the same?
10. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)