|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
2. Caliban is the offspring of
3. The Tempest is considered one of Shakespeare's
(a) Later works.
(b) Earlier works.
(c) Modern works.
(d) Romantic works.
4. Who thwarts Antonio's and Sebastian's plan in Act II, Scene I?
5. Who is not lulled to sleep in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Antonio and Sebastian.
(b) Gonzalo and Sebastian.
(c) Antonio and Gonzalo.
(d) Alonso and Sebastian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
2. What does Miranda do when Ferdinand confesses his love for her?
3. What does Trinculo want to do with Caliban in order to make money?
4. Trinculo wants to take Caliban back to where?
5. Antonio is the brother of
Short Essay Questions
1. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
2. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
3. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
4. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
5. What is the basic understanding of Antonio's and Prospero's history?
6. What does the drunken Stephano think he sees when he happens upon Caliban and Trinculo?
7. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
8. When Caliban starts babbling to Stephano and Trinculo about what he can show them on the island, what is Trinculo's initial thought?
9. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
10. How does Prospero's treatment of Caliban mirror Antonio's past treatment of Prospero?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)