|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prior to Prospero releasing him, Ariel was stuck for twelve years in a
2. In order to render Ferdinand defenseless after he draws his sword, Prospero
(a) uses his magic to immobilize him.
(b) threatens to take Miranda away.
(c) uses his magic to send him back to the ship.
(d) talks to him sensibly.
3. Prospero was formerly the Duke of
4. Alonso becomes more distraught after losing his son, remembering that he has also lost
(a) his daughter.
(b) his men.
(c) his sanity.
(d) his kingdom.
5. What does Miranda urge Ferdinand to do while he is working?
(a) To leave her alone.
(b) To run away.
(c) To work harder.
(d) To not work so hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferdinand protest when Prospero accuses him of wanting to take over the island?
2. Alonso's son is
3. What is the strange noise that Gonzalo claims he heard?
4. When Ferdinand sees Miranda for the first time, he believes she is a
5. What is one of the things Caliban promises to Stephano and Trinculo in his drunken state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
2. Why does Prospero render Ferdinand immobile during Act I, Scene II?
3. What is the basic understanding of Antonio's and Prospero's history?
4. How is Act I, Scene II with Miranda and Ferdinand a kind of exposition for the plot?
5. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
6. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
7. What does the drunken Stephano think he sees when he happens upon Caliban and Trinculo?
8. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
9. What does the initial scene at sea foreshadow in the play?
10. Alonso helped Antonio usurp Prospero's throne. Why does Prospero have Ariel lull him to sleep? What does this scene say about Alonso's character?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)