|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
2. Who chastises Alonso for allowing his daughter to marry an African?
3. Alonso's daughter was married in
4. When Ferdinand sees Miranda for the first time, he believes she is a
5. What does Caliban believe Trinculo to be?
(a) Another torturous spirit.
(b) A pillager come to ruin the island.
(c) Miranda's new suitor.
(d) One of the sailors washed ashore.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ship passengers' increasing fear and anxiety are the result of
2. What does Sebastian wonder about Antonio and his usurpation of Prospero's throne?
3. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
4. Prior to Prospero releasing him, Ariel was stuck for twelve years in a
5. Why does Prospero tell the story of their past to Miranda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the drunken Stephano think he sees when he happens upon Caliban and Trinculo?
2. How does Caliban parallel some of Prospero's characteristics in Act II, Scene II?
3. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
4. What does the initial scene at sea foreshadow in the play?
5. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Gonzalo's character and why?
6. In Act III, Scene I, what contrasts are shown between Ferdinand and Miranda?
7. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
8. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
9. Alonso helped Antonio usurp Prospero's throne. Why does Prospero have Ariel lull him to sleep? What does this scene say about Alonso's character?
10. What is the intention of Prospero's plan when he has Ariel lead Ferdinand to Miranda?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)