|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prospero promises to free Ariel in
(a) In one day.
(b) In a week.
(c) In three days.
(d) Two days.
2. Although the ship passengers believe the ship is gone, it is actually
(b) At the bottom of the sea.
(c) On fire.
(d) At another island.
3. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
(a) How he could have been afraid of someone so weak.
(b) Why Caliban is on the island.
(c) How quickly Caliban became drunk.
(d) How Caliban came to look the way he does.
4. Miranda dislikes Caliban, because
(a) He tried to rape her.
(b) He is malformed.
(c) He tries to trick her with magic.
(d) He is rude.
5. Prior to Prospero releasing him, Ariel was stuck for twelve years in a
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to render Ferdinand defenseless after he draws his sword, Prospero
2. What does Miranda offer to Ferdinand while he is working?
3. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
4. Gonzalo's attempt to comfort his king are mocked by whom?
5. Prospero gained his power from his books and
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, Scene II, why does Caliban drop to the ground when Trinculo appears?
2. Alonso helped Antonio usurp Prospero's throne. Why does Prospero have Ariel lull him to sleep? What does this scene say about Alonso's character?
3. What does the initial scene at sea foreshadow in the play?
4. How does Prospero's treatment of Caliban mirror Antonio's past treatment of Prospero?
5. Why does Miranda regret telling Ferdinand her name so quickly?
6. What is the reason Prospero gives for Miranda's attraction to Ferdinand?
7. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
8. What is Trinculo's plan for Caliban when he sees that he is actually a man?
9. How do you think Miranda's and Ferdinand's union can positively affect Prospero?
10. How does Caliban parallel some of Prospero's characteristics in Act II, Scene II?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)