|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise to Ariel for the second time?
(a) To put him back in the tree if he does not obey.
(b) To free him once he completes Prospero's orders.
(c) To bring him back to Milan with Prospero.
(d) To allow him to marry Miranda.
2. Although the ship passengers believe the ship is gone, it is actually
(b) At the bottom of the sea.
(c) At another island.
(d) On fire.
3. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
4. What does Miranda do when Ferdinand confesses his love for her?
(a) Runs away.
5. Prospero and Miranda were not killed when expelled from Milan because
(a) His people loved him and would resent Antonio for the murder.
(b) His people are peaceful and not aggressive.
(c) His people would have then killed Antonio.
(d) His people are sympathetic and pitied them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prospero was formerly the Duke of
2. What is one of Sebastian's reservations about Antonio's plan in Act II, Scene I?
3. Who is watching Ferdinand and Miranda from a distance in Act III, Scene I?
4. Alonso's daughter was married in
5. Caliban is the offspring of
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, Scene I, Ariel lulls Gonzalo, Adrian and Alonso to sleep. Why not Antonio and Sebastian?
2. During the storm, what can the audience already infer about Antonio's character and why?
3. What is the intention of Prospero's plan when he has Ariel lead Ferdinand to Miranda?
4. What function in the play is served by Act II, Scene II with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
5. How does Prospero's treatment of Caliban mirror Antonio's past treatment of Prospero?
6. What is the metaphorical significance of the storm at sea in the exposition of the play?
7. What does the initial scene at sea foreshadow in the play?
8. What is the tempest in Ariel's and Prospero's relationship?
9. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
10. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)