|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ariel completes his duties, Prospero promises to
(a) Let him marry Miranda.
(b) Teach him his magic.
(c) Knight him.
(d) Free him.
2. Why does Trinculo hide underneath Caliban's robes?
(a) Caliban promises to protect him.
(b) He wants to be safe from the island's spirits.
(c) He heard noises in the distance and is afraid.
(d) He hears thunder and thinks another storm is coming.
3. At the beginning of Act III, Scene I, what does Prospero have Ferdinand doing?
(a) Preparing food.
(b) Stacking firewood.
(c) Building a fire.
(d) Mending his clothes.
4. What does Prospero do at the end of Act III, Scene I?
(a) Tells Ariel he will free him.
(b) Returns to studying his magic book.
(c) Sends torturous spirits to Caliban.
(d) Goes looking for Antonio.
5. What is Caliban happiest about after he meets Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) That he is free from Prospero.
(b) That the two men are not more torturous spirits.
(c) That he has made new friends.
(d) That he now knows what wine is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Caliban wanted to populate the island with
2. What does Miranda do when Ferdinand confesses his love for her?
3. Prior to Prospero's arrival on the island, Ariel was imprisoned by
4. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
5. What does Trinculo want to do with Caliban in order to make money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tempest in Ariel's and Prospero's relationship?
2. What is the intention of Prospero's plan when he has Ariel lead Ferdinand to Miranda?
3. What are the characteristics of Ferdinand and Miranda that come off as potentially negative, but are overshadowed by their positive qualities?
4. Describe Prospero's journey that leads to his transformation at the end of the play.
5. What is Stephano's ulterior motive in the plan to murder Prospero?
6. Why does Prospero create the tempest? What is his initial incentive?
7. Why does Prospero conjure the banquet for Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo?
8. In Act V, Scene I, why does Prospero whisper to Antonio and Sebastian that he knows of their plans to kill Alonso?
9. What is the metaphorical significance of the play's title, "The Tempest"?
10. How does the tempest created by Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano come to an end after they put on the gaudy clothes?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)