|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to render Ferdinand defenseless after he draws his sword, Prospero
(a) threatens to take Miranda away.
(b) uses his magic to send him back to the ship.
(c) talks to him sensibly.
(d) uses his magic to immobilize him.
2. Caliban is the offspring of
3. What does Ferdinand protest when Prospero accuses him of wanting to take over the island?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His right to the island as Prince of Naples.
(c) His innocence.
(d) His social status.
4. When he was Duke of Milan, Prospero turned his duties over to
(a) His loyal subjects.
(c) The queen.
(d) His council.
5. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Look for Ferdinand
(b) Run away.
(c) Assassinate Gonzalo.
(d) Assassinate Alonso.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prospero tell the story of their past to Miranda?
2. What is Caliban happiest about after he meets Trinculo and Stephano?
3. Who thwarts Antonio's and Sebastian's plan in Act II, Scene I?
4. What does Trinculo want to do with Caliban in order to make money?
5. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Prospero similar to both Antonio and Gonzalo?
2. What does the initial scene at sea foreshadow in the play?
3. Do you think Prospero will actually give up his magic? He only talks of it, but does not actually do it. Why or why not?
4. How does Antonio persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan to assassinate Alonso and take over Naples?
5. In Act II, Scene II, why does Caliban drop to the ground when Trinculo appears?
6. In Prospero's soliloquy after the magical performance, what is the significance of his reference to the nature of being and the nature of life?
7. Alonso helped Antonio usurp Prospero's throne. Why does Prospero have Ariel lull him to sleep? What does this scene say about Alonso's character?
8. After Ariel tells Prospero where Antonio, Alonso, and Sebastian are, what causes Prospero to realize that it is not revenge he wants, but penitence?
9. What does Ariel do when Antonio and Sebastian draw their swords and why?
10. How does the audience learn about Caliban's past on the island?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)