|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Prospero conjure the spirits to dance for Ferdinand and Miranda?
(a) He wanted to surprise them with an early wedding gift.
(b) He wanted to display his power to Ferdinand.
(c) He saw Ferdinand getting too close to Miranda.
(d) He was bored and wanted the entertainment.
2. Who does Alonso recognize Trinculo and Stephano as?
(a) His butler and servant.
(b) His enemies.
(c) Servants of Prospero's.
(d) Other spirits on the island.
3. Who are "the rabble"?
(a) Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban.
(b) Gonzalo, Miranda and Ferdinand.
(c) Alonso, Antonio and Sebastian.
(d) Ariel, Prospero and Miranda.
4. What does Prospero comment on in regard to Antonio and Sebastian?
(a) Their ingenuity.
(b) Their kindness.
(c) Their ambition.
(d) Their sincerity.
5. Who does Caliban talk about at length to Stephano?
6. Why do Sebastian and Antonio vow to help Alonso find Ferdinand following the banquet?
(a) They feel guilty and now wish to help him.
(b) They do not want to separate from the group.
(c) They want to make amends for past deeds.
(d) They wish to carry out their murderous plan.
7. Who does Prospero feel betrayed by in Act IV, Scene I?
8. What does the banquet scene reveal about Alonso, Sebastian and Antonio?
(a) That Alonso feels guilt for what he did, while the other two do not.
(b) That Alonso, Antonio and Sebastian do not feel guilt for what they did.
(c) That the men are easily fooled.
(d) That Antonio and Sebastian feel guilt for what they did, while Alonso does not.
9. Who else does Prospero ask Ariel to bring back in Act V, Scene I?
(a) The ship's crew.
(b) Juno, Iris and Ceres.
(c) Trinculo, Caliban and Stephano.
(d) No one.
10. In the false banquet scene, what characteristic of Gonzalo is revealed that he shares with Miranda and Ferdinand?
11. What sound does Prospero conjure to frighten Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
(a) The sound of cracking thunder.
(b) The sound of hunting dogs.
(c) Whispers in the forest.
(d) Screams of the other men.
12. Who pretends to be Trinculo and interrupts Stephano's and Caliban's conversation?
13. While discussing the plan with Caliban, what is Stephano's main objective?
(a) To marry Miranda.
(b) To escape back to the ship.
(c) To kill Caliban.
(d) To find his shipmates.
14. What is the banquet supposed to elicit in the men?
15. Why does Alonso believe, following the false banquet, that Ferdinand is dead?
(a) Because they would have found him by now.
(b) Because he is a corrupt and evil king.
(c) Because he played a role in Prospero's and Miranda's banishment.
(d) Because the dancing spirits showed him Ferdinand's dead body.
Short Answer Questions
1. In speaking to Stephano, what does Caliban describe as very important?
2. Prospero distracts the three men from their plan of revenge; who distracts Prospero from his?
3. What does Prospero comment on in regard to Gonzalo?
4. Who listens in on Caliban's and Stephano's conversation?
5. What does Prospero order Ariel to do when Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban run off?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)