|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Prospero abruptly stop the marriage ceremony and change his mood?
(a) He remembers his plan for Antonio, Alonso and Sebastian.
(b) He is angered by the spirits.
(c) He remembers his plan for Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban.
(d) The spirits' message has no affect on Miranda and Ferdinand.
2. What does Stephano admit to Prospero at the end of the play?
(a) That he still wants to be king.
(b) That it was his idea to kill him.
(c) That he would have made a poor king.
(d) That he was not really going to kill him.
3. Who does Prospero feel betrayed by in Act IV, Scene I?
4. How does Ariel appear to the men during the banquet?
(a) As himself.
(b) Dressed like Prospero.
(c) Dressed like a nymph.
(d) In a monstrous disguise.
5. What story does Prospero tell Alonso, Gonzalo, Sebastian and Antonio?
(a) The story about how he learned magic.
(b) The story about the island.
(c) The story of how Ferdinand and Miranda met.
(d) The story of Caliban's witch mother, Sycorax.
6. What does Prospero conjure in order to derange Alonso, Gonzalo, Antonio and Sebastian while they are resting?
(a) The rest of the men.
(b) A banquet table of food.
(d) Their ship.
7. What does Prospero throw into the ocean?
(a) His magic book.
(b) His magical staff.
(c) His old crown.
(d) His king's robe.
8. How does Prospero's speech differ from his normal speech?
(a) It is deluded and illogical.
(b) It does not differ from his normal speech.
(c) It is forthcoming.
(d) It is more poetic.
9. What does Caliban ask Stephano to do?
(a) Help kidnap Miranda.
(b) Kill Trinculo.
(c) Take him with him off of the island.
(d) Kill Prospero.
10. In the false banquet scene, what characteristic of Gonzalo is revealed that he shares with Miranda and Ferdinand?
11. In Act IV, Scene I, Prospero's speech mirrors that of which other character?
12. What is Prospero surprised at when Ariel tells him that Antonio, Alonso, Sebastian and Gonzalo are upset and remorseful?
(a) That Ariel has not enjoyed inflicting pain on them.
(b) That Ariel, a spirit, feels compassion for them.
(c) That Ariel does not care about them.
(d) That Ariel did not follow his orders.
13. What does Prospero tell the spirits to do?
(a) Teach Ferdinand and Miranda how to dance.
(b) Distract Ferdinand from seeing Alonso.
(c) Lecture Ferdinand and Miranda about chastity.
(d) Distract Ferdinand while he speaks with Miranda.
14. What does Alonso do when Prospero reveals Ferdinand and Miranda to him?
(a) He tries to kill Prospero for hiding him.
(b) He blesses their marriage.
(c) He falls in love with Miranda.
(d) He tells Ferdinand that he will not wed Miranda.
15. Who pretends to be Trinculo and interrupts Stephano's and Caliban's conversation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero say about Caliban's distorted looks?
2. Where are the other men, following the drunken scene with Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
3. What does Prospero comment on in regard to Gonzalo?
4. What spirits does Prospero conjure after blessing Ferdinand and Miranda's marriage?
5. At the beginning of Act III, Scene II, who does Caliban vow to serve?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)