|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Act IV, Scene I, what does Prospero tell Ferdinand?
(a) He will teach him magic from his books.
(b) The trials he has endured were tests of love.
(c) He has more chores for him to do.
(d) He will never be allowed to marry Miranda.
2. Who does Ariel bring back at Prospero's request?
(b) The Boatswain.
3. At the end of Act IV, Scene I, what does Prospero promise to Ariel after asking him to pursue Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban?
4. In the false banquet scene, Gonzalo catches on to Antonio's and Sebastian's plan but identifies the wrong motivation for it. What does he believe their motivation to be?
(a) Guilt for past deeds.
(b) Desire for blood.
(c) Lust for Miranda.
(d) Desire for power.
5. What does Prospero say about Caliban's distorted looks?
(a) That they are not his true visage.
(b) That his manners are equally as distorted.
(c) That they are not his fault.
(d) That they parallel the ugliness of the other men's actions.
6. After sending Ariel to release the men from the cave, what does Prospero vow to do?
(a) Let go of his power and release the spirits.
(b) Not to rest until his revenge is complete.
(c) Break up the union between Miranda and Ferdinand.
(d) Kill Antonio, Sebastian and Alonso.
7. What does Caliban ask Stephano to do?
(a) Take him with him off of the island.
(b) Kill Prospero.
(c) Help kidnap Miranda.
(d) Kill Trinculo.
8. What do Ariel and Prospero do to disguise themselves from Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) They float into the air.
(b) They dress up in camouflage clothing.
(c) They hide in the tree tops.
(d) They become invisible.
9. What does Stephano admit to Prospero at the end of the play?
(a) That he would have made a poor king.
(b) That it was his idea to kill him.
(c) That he was not really going to kill him.
(d) That he still wants to be king.
10. What does Prospero throw into the ocean?
(a) His magical staff.
(b) His magic book.
(c) His old crown.
(d) His king's robe.
11. What does Prospero say to Antonio and Sebastian on the side?
(a) That he does not really forgive them.
(b) That he will kill them if they kill Alonso.
(c) That they are evil people.
(d) That he knows about their assassination plan.
12. In the false banquet scene, what characteristic of Gonzalo is revealed that he shares with Miranda and Ferdinand?
13. While discussing the plan with Caliban, what is Stephano's main objective?
(a) To kill Caliban.
(b) To find his shipmates.
(c) To escape back to the ship.
(d) To marry Miranda.
14. What does Prospero order Ariel to fetch when he is ready to reveal his identity to the men?
(a) His old clothes from Milan.
(b) Miranda and Ferdnand.
(c) His magical staff.
(d) His magic book.
15. What does Prospero comment on in regard to Gonzalo?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His courage.
(c) His meekness.
(d) His honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caliban curse himself for foolishly believing?
2. What distracts Trinculo and Stephano from their original plan?
3. What are Trinculo, Stephano and Caliban arguing about in their drunken stupor?
4. Why does Prospero want the men to see a banquet and then have it taken away?
5. What does Prospero comment on in regard to Antonio and Sebastian?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)