|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prior to Prospero releasing him, Ariel was stuck for twelve years in a
2. What does Antonio offer to do in order to persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan?
(a) He offers to kill Gonzalo and have Sebastian kill Alonso.
(b) He offers to kill Alonso and have Sebastian kill Gonzalo.
(c) He promises to keep it a secret and never tell anyone.
(d) He promises he will not try to assassinate Sebastian once he is king.
3. What does Trinculo want to do with Caliban in order to make money?
(a) Sell him off as a slave.
(b) Have him steal from Prospero.
(c) Have him steal from Antonio.
(d) Show him off to the public.
4. Antonio castigates the Boatswain during the storm, because he believes the sailors are
5. Prospero tells Miranda that in order to usurp his power, Antonio allied himself with
6. After Ariel completes his duties, Prospero promises to
(a) Let him marry Miranda.
(b) Teach him his magic.
(c) Knight him.
(d) Free him.
7. The tempest is a symbolic form of an upheaval from a state of
8. What does Miranda urge Ferdinand to do while he is working?
(a) To not work so hard.
(b) To run away.
(c) To work harder.
(d) To leave her alone.
9. What does Miranda regret doing while talking to Ferdinand?
(a) Not acting ladylike.
(b) Telling him her name.
(c) Offering to help him.
(d) Going against her father's wishes.
10. Why does Ariel leave Antonio and Sebastian awake?
(a) Ariel wanted to go against Prospero's orders.
(b) Prospero forgot about them.
(c) Ariel took pity on them.
(d) Prospero meant for them to be awake.
11. Who chastises Alonso for allowing his daughter to marry an African?
12. What does Prospero do at the end of Act III, Scene I?
(a) Returns to studying his magic book.
(b) Tells Ariel he will free him.
(c) Goes looking for Antonio.
(d) Sends torturous spirits to Caliban.
13. Why does Trinculo hide underneath Caliban's robes?
(a) He heard noises in the distance and is afraid.
(b) He wants to be safe from the island's spirits.
(c) Caliban promises to protect him.
(d) He hears thunder and thinks another storm is coming.
14. When Ferdinand sees Miranda for the first time, he believes she is a
15. Prospero accuses Ferdinand of
(a) Polluting the island.
(b) Wanting to rape Miranda.
(d) Wanting to steal the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ship passengers' increasing fear and anxiety are the result of
2. Who ties to calm down Caliban in Act II, Scene II?
3. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
4. How does one character finally get Caliban to calm down in Act II, Scene II?
5. Why does Prospero tell the story of their past to Miranda?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)