|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his soliloquy, what does Ferdinand say makes his job easier?
(a) Prospero's kindness.
(b) The nice weather.
(c) Thoughts of Miranda.
(d) His natural strength.
2. Antonio is the brother of
3. What does Prospero do at the end of Act III, Scene I?
(a) Tells Ariel he will free him.
(b) Goes looking for Antonio.
(c) Sends torturous spirits to Caliban.
(d) Returns to studying his magic book.
4. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
(a) Teach him how to read.
(b) Teach him how to speak.
(c) Teach him how to sing.
(d) Teach him how to write.
5. Prospero promises to free Ariel in
(a) In one day.
(b) Two days.
(c) In a week.
(d) In three days.
6. What does Antonio offer to do in order to persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan?
(a) He offers to kill Gonzalo and have Sebastian kill Alonso.
(b) He offers to kill Alonso and have Sebastian kill Gonzalo.
(c) He promises he will not try to assassinate Sebastian once he is king.
(d) He promises to keep it a secret and never tell anyone.
7. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
(a) Because he wants to show off for her.
(b) Because she is too young.
(c) Because she has never done it before.
(d) Because it is too hard for her.
8. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
9. What does Prospero say in his soliloquy about Miranda and Ferdinand?
(a) He is pleased with their growing relationship.
(b) He does not care about their relationship.
(c) He is displeased with their growing relationship.
(d) They are young and foolish.
10. Ferdinand is the prince of
11. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
(a) Why Caliban is on the island.
(b) How Caliban came to look the way he does.
(c) How quickly Caliban became drunk.
(d) How he could have been afraid of someone so weak.
12. The only two men Miranda has seen prior to meeting Ferdinand are
(a) Prospero and Ferdinand.
(b) Prospero and Caliban.
(c) Prospero and Gonzalo.
(d) Prospero and Trinculo.
13. How does one character finally get Caliban to calm down in Act II, Scene II?
(a) By giving Caliban wine.
(b) By singing him a song.
(c) By giving him money.
(d) By saying nice things to Caliban.
14. What is the strange noise that Gonzalo claims he heard?
(a) Alonso talking in his sleep.
(b) Ariel's singing.
(c) Twigs breaking.
(d) Antonio's and Sebastian's whispering.
15. The two spirits who reside on the island with Prospero and Miranda are
(a) Caliban and Ariel.
(b) Caliban and Trinculo.
(c) Trinculo and Ariel.
(d) Trinculo and Stephano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chastises Alonso for allowing his daughter to marry an African?
2. Alonso becomes more distraught after losing his son, remembering that he has also lost
3. At the end of Act II, Scene II, what is Caliban doing?
4. What keeps Ferdinand going as he does Prospero's work?
5. Alonso's son is
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)