|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alonso becomes more distraught after losing his son, remembering that he has also lost
(a) his sanity.
(b) his daughter.
(c) his kingdom.
(d) his men.
2. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
(a) Teach him how to read.
(b) Teach him how to write.
(c) Teach him how to sing.
(d) Teach him how to speak.
3. Antonio's treatment of Prospero when they were in Milan mirrors
(a) Prospero's treatment of Ferdinand.
(b) Prospero's treatment of Miranda.
(c) Prospero's treatment of Caliban.
(d) Stephano's treatment of Caliban.
4. What does Miranda do when Ferdinand confesses his love for her?
(c) Runs away.
5. How does Antonio convince Sebastian to go along with the plan in Act II, Scene I?
(a) He tells him how much fun it is to be a king.
(b) He describes the riches he will gain as the king of Naples.
(c) He tells him that they can combine powers once he is king of Naples.
(d) He explains how much he benefited from taking Prospero's throne.
6. The tempest is a symbolic form of an upheaval from a state of
7. What does Caliban beg of Stephano when he first meets him?
(a) To get Trinculo out from under his robes.
(b) To sing for him.
(c) To help him off the island.
(d) To be left alone.
8. Trinculo wants to take Caliban back to where?
9. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise Ariel yet again?
(d) The island.
10. At the end of Act II, Scene II, what is Caliban doing?
(a) Cursing Stephano and Trinculo.
(b) Singing happily.
(d) Building a fire.
11. Caliban wanted to populate the island with
(b) Coconut trees.
(c) Other spirits.
(d) His children.
12. The Tempest is considered one of Shakespeare's
(a) Later works.
(b) Modern works.
(c) Romantic works.
(d) Earlier works.
13. What is one of Sebastian's reservations about Antonio's plan in Act II, Scene I?
(a) That Alonso's daughter would then inherit the throne.
(b) That Alonso will soon wake up.
(c) That Antonio is tricking him.
(d) That they will never get off the island anyway.
14. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Assassinate Alonso.
(b) Run away.
(c) Assassinate Gonzalo.
(d) Look for Ferdinand
15. Ferdinand is surprised by Miranda, because she
(a) Has a magical father.
(b) Is so beautiful.
(c) Thinks he is a spirit.
(d) Speaks his language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lulls the lords searching for Ferdinand into a deep sleep during their banter?
2. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise to Ariel for the second time?
3. Prospero accuses Ferdinand of
4. Ferdinand is the prince of
5. Why does Ferdinand prefer not to do Prospero's work?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)