|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prospero gained his power from his books and
(c) The island.
(d) The boat.
2. What is one way in which Ferdinand's life differs from Miranda's?
(a) He understands what it means to be royalty, while she does not.
(b) He has encountered many women, while she has encountered few men.
(c) He is not used to manual labor as much as she is.
(d) He is more educated than Miranda.
3. Prospero was formerly the Duke of
4. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
(a) Why Caliban is on the island.
(b) How Caliban came to look the way he does.
(c) How he could have been afraid of someone so weak.
(d) How quickly Caliban became drunk.
5. Prospero's magical power comes from
(a) The trees.
(b) His books.
(c) His staff.
6. What does Miranda impulsively do in Act III, Scene I?
(a) Tells Ferdinand her name.
(b) Kisses Ferdinand.
(c) Tells Ferdinand to run away.
(d) Tells Ferdinand the secrets of the island.
7. What does Caliban beg of Stephano when he first meets him?
(a) To sing for him.
(b) To get Trinculo out from under his robes.
(c) To be left alone.
(d) To help him off the island.
8. How long ago was Antonio's usurpation of Prospero's throne in Milan?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Seventeen years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Ten years.
9. The only nobleman who has a calm and positive attitude during the storm at sea is
10. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
(a) Because he wants to show off for her.
(b) Because it is too hard for her.
(c) Because she has never done it before.
(d) Because she is too young.
11. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
(a) Teach him how to read.
(b) Teach him how to speak.
(c) Teach him how to sing.
(d) Teach him how to write.
12. Who lulls the lords searching for Ferdinand into a deep sleep during their banter?
13. Prospero gives Ferdinand a hard time in order to
(a) Anger Alonso.
(b) See his true character.
(c) Gain his respect.
(d) Keep him away from Miranda.
14. Prospero and Miranda were not killed when expelled from Milan because
(a) His people loved him and would resent Antonio for the murder.
(b) His people would have then killed Antonio.
(c) His people are peaceful and not aggressive.
(d) His people are sympathetic and pitied them.
15. What does Miranda offer to Ferdinand while he is working?
(a) To show him Prospero's magical books.
(b) To bring him some food and water.
(c) To talk to Prospero for him.
(d) To work in Ferdinand's place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prospero promises to free Ariel in
2. In his soliloquy, what does Ferdinand say makes his job easier?
3. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
4. Trinculo wants to take Caliban back to where?
5. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise Ariel yet again?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)