|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the true motivation behind Prospero's grand plan for Miranda and Ferdinand?
(a) It is not specifically defined.
(b) That it will spite Alonso and any plans he had for his son.
(c) That it will finally get him and his daughter off of the island.
(d) That it is a good union that will bring Naples and Milan together.
2. What is one thing about Caliban that Stephano finds amazing?
(a) His ability to talk.
(b) His willingness to serve.
(c) His stupidity.
(d) His garish robe.
3. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
(a) He will have him duel with Caliban.
(b) He will force Ferdinand into servitude.
(c) He is too old for his daughter.
(d) He is everything he had hoped he would be.
4. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
5. What is Prospero's reasoning for why Miranda believes that Ferdinand is the most beautiful man she has ever known?
(a) He is a prince and will inherit the kingdom of Naples.
(b) He treats her well and loves her.
(c) He is intelligent and understands her.
(d) She has only ever seen Prospero and Caliban before him.
6. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
(a) Cursing Prospero.
(b) Carrying jugs of water.
(c) Running from torturous spirits.
(d) Looking for Miranda.
7. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
(a) Why Caliban is on the island.
(b) How he could have been afraid of someone so weak.
(c) How Caliban came to look the way he does.
(d) How quickly Caliban became drunk.
8. Prospero and Miranda were given provisions and books on the boat by
9. What does Antonio offer to do in order to persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan?
(a) He offers to kill Alonso and have Sebastian kill Gonzalo.
(b) He promises to keep it a secret and never tell anyone.
(c) He promises he will not try to assassinate Sebastian once he is king.
(d) He offers to kill Gonzalo and have Sebastian kill Alonso.
10. Why does Prospero tell the story of their past to Miranda?
(a) Because she wants to know where they came from.
(b) Because she has always asked him about it.
(c) Because she is concerned about the people on the ship.
(d) Because she wants to hear a story.
11. When he was Duke of Milan, Prospero was more interested in
12. What does Prospero think about Ferdinand's and Miranda's attraction to each other?
(a) That it is part of his grand plan.
(b) That it is immoral.
(c) That it will destroy his grand plan.
(d) That it is foolish.
13. Ariel lets the other ships return to Naples in order to
(a) Tell everyone where Prospero is.
(b) Tell the kingdom the king is dead.
(c) Spare their lives.
(d) Preserve their secret.
14. Trinculo wants to take Caliban back to where?
15. What does Caliban believe Trinculo to be?
(a) One of the sailors washed ashore.
(b) Miranda's new suitor.
(c) A pillager come to ruin the island.
(d) Another torturous spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
2. Trinculo views Caliban's willingness to serve as a sign of what?
3. Prospero seeks revenge against
4. Who is watching Ferdinand and Miranda from a distance in Act III, Scene I?
5. How does Antonio convince Sebastian to go along with the plan in Act II, Scene I?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)