|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alonso becomes more distraught after losing his son, remembering that he has also lost
(a) his sanity.
(b) his men.
(c) his daughter.
(d) his kingdom.
2. What does Caliban believe Trinculo to be?
(a) Another torturous spirit.
(b) Miranda's new suitor.
(c) One of the sailors washed ashore.
(d) A pillager come to ruin the island.
3. The only nobleman who has a calm and positive attitude during the storm at sea is
4. What does Caliban beg of Stephano when he first meets him?
(a) To get Trinculo out from under his robes.
(b) To be left alone.
(c) To sing for him.
(d) To help him off the island.
5. What does Miranda impulsively do in Act III, Scene I?
(a) Tells Ferdinand to run away.
(b) Tells Ferdinand her name.
(c) Tells Ferdinand the secrets of the island.
(d) Kisses Ferdinand.
6. What does Trinculo believe Caliban to be?
(a) A fish.
(b) A prisoner.
(c) A boar.
(d) A spirit.
7. What is Caliban happiest about after he meets Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) That the two men are not more torturous spirits.
(b) That he is free from Prospero.
(c) That he has made new friends.
(d) That he now knows what wine is.
8. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
(a) Because it is too hard for her.
(b) Because he wants to show off for her.
(c) Because she has never done it before.
(d) Because she is too young.
9. Caliban believes the island is
(a) His birthright.
10. As Caliban becomes drunk, what is one of the things he promises to Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) He promises to leave them alone.
(b) He promises to serve them.
(c) He promises to help them off of the island.
(d) He promises to help mend their clothes.
11. The beginning of The Tempest takes place
(a) At a wedding ceremony.
(b) In Milan.
(c) In Tunis.
(d) At sea.
12. What sets Alonso apart from Antonio in Prospero's eyes?
(a) His emotional, regretful side.
(b) His strength as a king.
(c) His age, as he is much older than Antonio.
(d) His lack of interest in being a king.
13. The two men who retreat to their cabins during the storm are
(a) Alonso and Antonio.
(b) Alonso and Gonzalo.
(c) Alonso and Ferdinand.
(d) Antonio and Gonzalo.
14. What keeps Ferdinand going as he does Prospero's work?
(a) The possibility of being let go and leaving the island.
(b) His willingness to do anything for Miranda.
(c) The promise of being reunited with his father.
(d) His desire to prove that he is good at everything.
15. Miranda dislikes Caliban, because
(a) He tried to rape her.
(b) He is rude.
(c) He tries to trick her with magic.
(d) He is malformed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
2. Ariel lets the other ships return to Naples in order to
3. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
4. Why does Miranda urge Ferdinand not to work so hard?
5. How does Antonio convince Sebastian to go along with the plan in Act II, Scene I?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)