|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Caliban becomes drunk, what is one of the things he promises to Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) He promises to serve them.
(b) He promises to leave them alone.
(c) He promises to help them off of the island.
(d) He promises to help mend their clothes.
2. What does Miranda impulsively do in Act III, Scene I?
(a) Tells Ferdinand the secrets of the island.
(b) Tells Ferdinand to run away.
(c) Kisses Ferdinand.
(d) Tells Ferdinand her name.
3. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
(a) A king.
(b) A spirit.
(c) A peasant.
(d) A thief.
4. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
(a) How quickly Caliban became drunk.
(b) How Caliban came to look the way he does.
(c) How he could have been afraid of someone so weak.
(d) Why Caliban is on the island.
5. Prospero promises to free Ariel in
(a) In one day.
(b) Two days.
(c) In a week.
(d) In three days.
6. Why does Stephano believe that Caliban and Trinculo are some sort of wild beasts when he sees them under the blanket?
(a) He is ignorant.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He has bad vision.
(d) He has little education.
7. The ship passengers' increasing fear and anxiety are the result of
(a) Ariel's illusions.
(b) Something they ate.
(c) The ship breaking apart.
(d) Landing on a strange island.
8. Why does Ariel leave Antonio and Sebastian awake?
(a) Prospero forgot about them.
(b) Ariel took pity on them.
(c) Prospero meant for them to be awake.
(d) Ariel wanted to go against Prospero's orders.
9. What is Prospero's reasoning for why Miranda believes that Ferdinand is the most beautiful man she has ever known?
(a) He is a prince and will inherit the kingdom of Naples.
(b) He treats her well and loves her.
(c) She has only ever seen Prospero and Caliban before him.
(d) He is intelligent and understands her.
10. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
(a) Running from torturous spirits.
(b) Carrying jugs of water.
(c) Looking for Miranda.
(d) Cursing Prospero.
11. Trinculo wants to take Caliban back to where?
12. Who leads Ferdinand to Prospero?
13. What does Sebastian wonder about Antonio and his usurpation of Prospero's throne?
(a) How hard it is to be the king.
(b) If it plagues his conscience.
(c) If Antonio will do it to him.
(d) If he is as courageous as Antonio.
14. Alonso's son is
15. What does Ferdinand say he is willing to do to win Miranda?
(c) Renounce his kingdom.
(d) Pay Prospero off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caliban believe Trinculo to be?
2. What does Ferdinand protest when Prospero accuses him of wanting to take over the island?
3. After Ariel completes his duties, Prospero promises to
4. What does Prospero say in his soliloquy about Miranda and Ferdinand?
5. Prospero was formerly the Duke of
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)