|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
(a) He is too old for his daughter.
(b) He will have him duel with Caliban.
(c) He is everything he had hoped he would be.
(d) He will force Ferdinand into servitude.
2. Prospero gives Ferdinand a hard time in order to
(a) Gain his respect.
(b) Anger Alonso.
(c) Keep him away from Miranda.
(d) See his true character.
3. What does Ferdinand say he is willing to do to win Miranda?
(b) Renounce his kingdom.
(d) Pay Prospero off.
4. Alonso becomes more distraught after losing his son, remembering that he has also lost
(a) his kingdom.
(b) his daughter.
(c) his men.
(d) his sanity.
5. Ariel lets the other ships return to Naples in order to
(a) Tell the kingdom the king is dead.
(b) Tell everyone where Prospero is.
(c) Spare their lives.
(d) Preserve their secret.
6. In his soliloquy, what does Ferdinand say makes his job easier?
(a) The nice weather.
(b) Thoughts of Miranda.
(c) His natural strength.
(d) Prospero's kindness.
7. Why does Prospero tell the story of their past to Miranda?
(a) Because she has always asked him about it.
(b) Because she wants to know where they came from.
(c) Because she is concerned about the people on the ship.
(d) Because she wants to hear a story.
8. Caliban is the offspring of
9. What does the scene between Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban provide to the reader?
(a) Comic relief.
(b) Frightening tension.
(d) Enlightening insight.
10. Ferdinand is the prince of
11. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise Ariel yet again?
(d) The island.
12. What does Prospero do at the end of Act III, Scene I?
(a) Tells Ariel he will free him.
(b) Sends torturous spirits to Caliban.
(c) Goes looking for Antonio.
(d) Returns to studying his magic book.
13. When awakened, Alonso asks Sebastian and Antonio why they have their swords drawn. What is their excuse?
(a) They were practicing their swordsmanship.
(b) They were having a heated argument.
(c) They heard something and were preparing to protect everyone.
(d) They were seeing whose sword was bigger.
14. Prospero was formerly the Duke of
15. Prospero tells Miranda that in order to usurp his power, Antonio allied himself with
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda tell Ferdinand after he meets Prospero for the first time?
2. At the end of Act II, Scene II, what is Caliban doing?
3. The tempest is a symbolic form of an upheaval from a state of
4. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
5. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)