|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads Ferdinand to Prospero?
2. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
(a) Because she is too young.
(b) Because she has never done it before.
(c) Because it is too hard for her.
(d) Because he wants to show off for her.
3. As Caliban becomes drunk, what is one of the things he promises to Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) He promises to help them off of the island.
(b) He promises to serve them.
(c) He promises to help mend their clothes.
(d) He promises to leave them alone.
4. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise Ariel yet again?
(c) The island.
5. In his soliloquy, what does Ferdinand say makes his job easier?
(a) Prospero's kindness.
(b) The nice weather.
(c) Thoughts of Miranda.
(d) His natural strength.
6. Which of the lords is the only person who tries comforting Alonso, who believes his son is gone?
7. What is Caliban happiest about after he meets Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) That the two men are not more torturous spirits.
(b) That he has made new friends.
(c) That he now knows what wine is.
(d) That he is free from Prospero.
8. What does Miranda tell Ferdinand after he meets Prospero for the first time?
(a) Prospero is usually much kinder.
(b) Prospero wants to kill Ferdinand's father.
(c) Prospero wants them to marry.
(d) Prospero is planning to kill him.
9. Alonso becomes more distraught after losing his son, remembering that he has also lost
(a) his kingdom.
(b) his men.
(c) his daughter.
(d) his sanity.
10. The two spirits who reside on the island with Prospero and Miranda are
(a) Caliban and Ariel.
(b) Caliban and Trinculo.
(c) Trinculo and Ariel.
(d) Trinculo and Stephano.
11. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
12. Prospero's magical power comes from
(a) The trees.
(b) His books.
(c) His staff.
13. What does Sebastian wonder about Antonio and his usurpation of Prospero's throne?
(a) If he is as courageous as Antonio.
(b) If it plagues his conscience.
(c) How hard it is to be the king.
(d) If Antonio will do it to him.
14. What is the strange noise that Gonzalo claims he heard?
(a) Ariel's singing.
(b) Alonso talking in his sleep.
(c) Twigs breaking.
(d) Antonio's and Sebastian's whispering.
15. Alonso is the king of
Short Answer Questions
1. Caliban wanted to populate the island with
2. What is one of Sebastian's reservations about Antonio's plan in Act II, Scene I?
3. Who is not lulled to sleep in Act II, Scene I?
4. The tempest is a symbolic form of an upheaval from a state of
5. Who is watching Ferdinand and Miranda from a distance in Act III, Scene I?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)