|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caliban believe Trinculo to be?
(a) Another torturous spirit.
(b) One of the sailors washed ashore.
(c) A pillager come to ruin the island.
(d) Miranda's new suitor.
2. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
3. What is one thing about Caliban that Stephano finds amazing?
(a) His willingness to serve.
(b) His stupidity.
(c) His ability to talk.
(d) His garish robe.
4. What does Miranda regret doing while talking to Ferdinand?
(a) Not acting ladylike.
(b) Going against her father's wishes.
(c) Telling him her name.
(d) Offering to help him.
5. The beginning of The Tempest takes place
(a) In Milan.
(b) In Tunis.
(c) At sea.
(d) At a wedding ceremony.
6. When he was Duke of Milan, Prospero turned his duties over to
(a) His council.
(c) His loyal subjects.
(d) The queen.
7. Prior to Prospero's arrival on the island, Ariel was imprisoned by
8. What is one way in which Ferdinand's life differs from Miranda's?
(a) He understands what it means to be royalty, while she does not.
(b) He has encountered many women, while she has encountered few men.
(c) He is more educated than Miranda.
(d) He is not used to manual labor as much as she is.
9. Antonio's treatment of Prospero when they were in Milan mirrors
(a) Prospero's treatment of Miranda.
(b) Prospero's treatment of Caliban.
(c) Stephano's treatment of Caliban.
(d) Prospero's treatment of Ferdinand.
10. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
(a) How he could have been afraid of someone so weak.
(b) Why Caliban is on the island.
(c) How Caliban came to look the way he does.
(d) How quickly Caliban became drunk.
11. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
(a) Teach him how to write.
(b) Teach him how to sing.
(c) Teach him how to speak.
(d) Teach him how to read.
12. How long ago was Antonio's usurpation of Prospero's throne in Milan?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Seventeen years.
13. What is Caliban happiest about after he meets Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) That he now knows what wine is.
(b) That he is free from Prospero.
(c) That the two men are not more torturous spirits.
(d) That he has made new friends.
14. Prospero seeks revenge against
(a) Antonio and Sebastian.
(b) Alonso and Ferdinand.
(c) Antonio and Gonzalo.
(d) Antonio, Alonso and Sebastian.
15. What do Antonio and Sebastian plan to do in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Look for Ferdinand
(b) Run away.
(c) Assassinate Alonso.
(d) Assassinate Gonzalo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Prospero's reasoning for why Miranda believes that Ferdinand is the most beautiful man she has ever known?
2. What is one of the things Caliban promises to Stephano and Trinculo in his drunken state?
3. What does the scene between Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban provide to the reader?
4. When awakened, Alonso asks Sebastian and Antonio why they have their swords drawn. What is their excuse?
5. Who is watching Ferdinand and Miranda from a distance in Act III, Scene I?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)