|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise Ariel yet again?
(c) The island.
2. The ship passengers' increasing fear and anxiety are the result of
(a) Landing on a strange island.
(b) Something they ate.
(c) The ship breaking apart.
(d) Ariel's illusions.
3. How does Antonio convince Sebastian to go along with the plan in Act II, Scene I?
(a) He explains how much he benefited from taking Prospero's throne.
(b) He describes the riches he will gain as the king of Naples.
(c) He tells him how much fun it is to be a king.
(d) He tells him that they can combine powers once he is king of Naples.
4. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
(a) Because it is too hard for her.
(b) Because he wants to show off for her.
(c) Because she is too young.
(d) Because she has never done it before.
5. Alonso is the king of
6. What does the scene between Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban provide to the reader?
(a) Comic relief.
(b) Frightening tension.
(d) Enlightening insight.
7. What is Caliban happiest about after he meets Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) That he has made new friends.
(b) That the two men are not more torturous spirits.
(c) That he is free from Prospero.
(d) That he now knows what wine is.
8. The two men who retreat to their cabins during the storm are
(a) Alonso and Ferdinand.
(b) Antonio and Gonzalo.
(c) Alonso and Gonzalo.
(d) Alonso and Antonio.
9. Why does Ferdinand prefer not to do Prospero's work?
(a) Because he is a prince of Naples.
(b) Because he does not want to take over the island.
(c) Because he is not strong enough.
(d) Because he does not want to marry Miranda.
10. What is one way in which Ferdinand's life differs from Miranda's?
(a) He has encountered many women, while she has encountered few men.
(b) He understands what it means to be royalty, while she does not.
(c) He is more educated than Miranda.
(d) He is not used to manual labor as much as she is.
11. Why does Trinculo hide underneath Caliban's robes?
(a) Caliban promises to protect him.
(b) He hears thunder and thinks another storm is coming.
(c) He wants to be safe from the island's spirits.
(d) He heard noises in the distance and is afraid.
12. Who lulls the lords searching for Ferdinand into a deep sleep during their banter?
13. Trinculo wants to take Caliban back to where?
14. Prospero accuses Ferdinand of
(a) Wanting to steal the island.
(c) Wanting to rape Miranda.
(d) Polluting the island.
15. Although the ship passengers believe the ship is gone, it is actually
(a) At another island.
(b) At the bottom of the sea.
(d) On fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alonso's son is
2. How long ago was Antonio's usurpation of Prospero's throne in Milan?
3. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
4. Why does Miranda urge Ferdinand not to work so hard?
5. Caliban believes the island is
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)