|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise to Ariel for the second time?
(a) To free him once he completes Prospero's orders.
(b) To bring him back to Milan with Prospero.
(c) To allow him to marry Miranda.
(d) To put him back in the tree if he does not obey.
2. The only nobleman who has a calm and positive attitude during the storm at sea is
3. Why does Stephano believe that Caliban and Trinculo are some sort of wild beasts when he sees them under the blanket?
(a) He is ignorant.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He has little education.
(d) He has bad vision.
4. What does Antonio offer to do in order to persuade Sebastian to go along with the plan?
(a) He promises he will not try to assassinate Sebastian once he is king.
(b) He offers to kill Alonso and have Sebastian kill Gonzalo.
(c) He promises to keep it a secret and never tell anyone.
(d) He offers to kill Gonzalo and have Sebastian kill Alonso.
5. At the end of Act II, Scene II, what is Caliban doing?
(a) Singing happily.
(b) Cursing Stephano and Trinculo.
(c) Building a fire.
6. The two men who retreat to their cabins during the storm are
(a) Alonso and Gonzalo.
(b) Alonso and Ferdinand.
(c) Alonso and Antonio.
(d) Antonio and Gonzalo.
7. What does Miranda urge Ferdinand to do while he is working?
(a) To not work so hard.
(b) To leave her alone.
(c) To run away.
(d) To work harder.
8. Alonso is the king of
9. What does Trinculo want to do with Caliban in order to make money?
(a) Show him off to the public.
(b) Sell him off as a slave.
(c) Have him steal from Antonio.
(d) Have him steal from Prospero.
10. Why does Trinculo hide underneath Caliban's robes?
(a) He heard noises in the distance and is afraid.
(b) Caliban promises to protect him.
(c) He hears thunder and thinks another storm is coming.
(d) He wants to be safe from the island's spirits.
11. What is the true motivation behind Prospero's grand plan for Miranda and Ferdinand?
(a) That it will spite Alonso and any plans he had for his son.
(b) It is not specifically defined.
(c) That it is a good union that will bring Naples and Milan together.
(d) That it will finally get him and his daughter off of the island.
12. The beginning of The Tempest takes place
(a) In Tunis.
(b) At a wedding ceremony.
(c) In Milan.
(d) At sea.
13. Antonio castigates the Boatswain during the storm, because he believes the sailors are
14. When Ferdinand sees Miranda for the first time, he believes she is a
15. Caliban believes the island is
(b) His birthright.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antonio is the brother of
2. Trinculo views Caliban's willingness to serve as a sign of what?
3. What does Sebastian wonder about Antonio and his usurpation of Prospero's throne?
4. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
5. Who is watching Ferdinand and Miranda from a distance in Act III, Scene I?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)