|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act II, Scene II, what is Caliban doing?
(b) Singing happily.
(c) Building a fire.
(d) Cursing Stephano and Trinculo.
2. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
3. Why does Miranda urge Ferdinand not to work so hard?
(a) She wants him to spend time with her.
(b) He will overtire too soon.
(c) He will hurt himself.
(d) It upsets her seeing him like that.
4. When he was Duke of Milan, Prospero was more interested in
5. What is one thing about Caliban that Stephano finds amazing?
(a) His stupidity.
(b) His garish robe.
(c) His willingness to serve.
(d) His ability to talk.
6. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
(a) How Caliban came to look the way he does.
(b) How quickly Caliban became drunk.
(c) Why Caliban is on the island.
(d) How he could have been afraid of someone so weak.
7. Alonso's daughter was married in
8. What keeps Ferdinand going as he does Prospero's work?
(a) The promise of being reunited with his father.
(b) The possibility of being let go and leaving the island.
(c) His willingness to do anything for Miranda.
(d) His desire to prove that he is good at everything.
9. Although the ship passengers believe the ship is gone, it is actually
(a) At the bottom of the sea.
(c) On fire.
(d) At another island.
10. The two men who retreat to their cabins during the storm are
(a) Alonso and Antonio.
(b) Antonio and Gonzalo.
(c) Alonso and Ferdinand.
(d) Alonso and Gonzalo.
11. After Ariel completes his duties, Prospero promises to
(a) Teach him his magic.
(b) Knight him.
(c) Let him marry Miranda.
(d) Free him.
12. What is one of Sebastian's reservations about Antonio's plan in Act II, Scene I?
(a) That they will never get off the island anyway.
(b) That Alonso will soon wake up.
(c) That Antonio is tricking him.
(d) That Alonso's daughter would then inherit the throne.
13. The Tempest is considered one of Shakespeare's
(a) Modern works.
(b) Romantic works.
(c) Later works.
(d) Earlier works.
14. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
(a) Teach him how to sing.
(b) Teach him how to write.
(c) Teach him how to read.
(d) Teach him how to speak.
15. How does one character finally get Caliban to calm down in Act II, Scene II?
(a) By saying nice things to Caliban.
(b) By giving Caliban wine.
(c) By singing him a song.
(d) By giving him money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ariel leave Antonio and Sebastian awake?
2. The ship passengers' increasing fear and anxiety are the result of
3. When awakened, Alonso asks Sebastian and Antonio why they have their swords drawn. What is their excuse?
4. Ferdinand is surprised by Miranda, because she
5. Caliban is the offspring of
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)