|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does one character finally get Caliban to calm down in Act II, Scene II?
(a) By saying nice things to Caliban.
(b) By giving him money.
(c) By singing him a song.
(d) By giving Caliban wine.
2. Why does Trinculo hide underneath Caliban's robes?
(a) He wants to be safe from the island's spirits.
(b) He heard noises in the distance and is afraid.
(c) Caliban promises to protect him.
(d) He hears thunder and thinks another storm is coming.
3. Gonzalo's attempt to comfort his king are mocked by whom?
(a) Antonio, Adrian and Alonso.
(b) Antonio, Sebastian and Adrian
(c) Sebastian, Adrian and Alonso.
(d) Antonio, Sebastian and Alonso.
4. Prospero and Miranda were not killed when expelled from Milan because
(a) His people are sympathetic and pitied them.
(b) His people would have then killed Antonio.
(c) His people loved him and would resent Antonio for the murder.
(d) His people are peaceful and not aggressive.
5. Why does Stephano believe that Caliban and Trinculo are some sort of wild beasts when he sees them under the blanket?
(a) He has little education.
(b) He has bad vision.
(c) He is ignorant.
(d) He is drunk.
6. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise to Ariel for the second time?
(a) To allow him to marry Miranda.
(b) To put him back in the tree if he does not obey.
(c) To bring him back to Milan with Prospero.
(d) To free him once he completes Prospero's orders.
7. Alonso becomes more distraught after losing his son, remembering that he has also lost
(a) his kingdom.
(b) his daughter.
(c) his sanity.
(d) his men.
8. Prospero and Miranda were given provisions and books on the boat by
9. What is one thing about Caliban that Stephano finds amazing?
(a) His stupidity.
(b) His garish robe.
(c) His ability to talk.
(d) His willingness to serve.
10. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
11. What is Caliban happiest about after he meets Trinculo and Stephano?
(a) That he has made new friends.
(b) That the two men are not more torturous spirits.
(c) That he is free from Prospero.
(d) That he now knows what wine is.
12. Prospero promises to free Ariel in
(a) Two days.
(b) In a week.
(c) In one day.
(d) In three days.
13. Prospero seeks revenge against
(a) Alonso and Ferdinand.
(b) Antonio, Alonso and Sebastian.
(c) Antonio and Sebastian.
(d) Antonio and Gonzalo.
14. What is the true motivation behind Prospero's grand plan for Miranda and Ferdinand?
(a) It is not specifically defined.
(b) That it is a good union that will bring Naples and Milan together.
(c) That it will finally get him and his daughter off of the island.
(d) That it will spite Alonso and any plans he had for his son.
15. Ariel lets the other ships return to Naples in order to
(a) Preserve their secret.
(b) Tell everyone where Prospero is.
(c) Tell the kingdom the king is dead.
(d) Spare their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the lords is the only person who tries comforting Alonso, who believes his son is gone?
2. Who ties to calm down Caliban in Act II, Scene II?
3. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
4. What does Miranda do in response to Ferdinand's declaration of his love for her?
5. Trinculo views Caliban's willingness to serve as a sign of what?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)