|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miranda at first took pity on Caliban and tried to
(a) Teach him how to write.
(b) Teach him how to speak.
(c) Teach him how to read.
(d) Teach him how to sing.
2. What does Prospero think about Ferdinand's and Miranda's attraction to each other?
(a) That it is foolish.
(b) That it is part of his grand plan.
(c) That it is immoral.
(d) That it will destroy his grand plan.
3. What is Prospero's reasoning for why Miranda believes that Ferdinand is the most beautiful man she has ever known?
(a) He is a prince and will inherit the kingdom of Naples.
(b) She has only ever seen Prospero and Caliban before him.
(c) He is intelligent and understands her.
(d) He treats her well and loves her.
4. What does Trinculo wonder about Caliban after listening to his drunken speech?
(a) How Caliban came to look the way he does.
(b) How he could have been afraid of someone so weak.
(c) How quickly Caliban became drunk.
(d) Why Caliban is on the island.
5. How long ago was Antonio's usurpation of Prospero's throne in Milan?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Seventeen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Fifteen years.
6. The Tempest is considered one of Shakespeare's
(a) Romantic works.
(b) Earlier works.
(c) Later works.
(d) Modern works.
7. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
8. What does Ferdinand protest when Prospero accuses him of wanting to take over the island?
(a) His innocence.
(b) His right to the island as Prince of Naples.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His social status.
9. What does Prospero say in his soliloquy about Miranda and Ferdinand?
(a) He is displeased with their growing relationship.
(b) He does not care about their relationship.
(c) They are young and foolish.
(d) He is pleased with their growing relationship.
10. What does Caliban believe Trinculo to be?
(a) A pillager come to ruin the island.
(b) Miranda's new suitor.
(c) Another torturous spirit.
(d) One of the sailors washed ashore.
11. Who is not lulled to sleep in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Antonio and Gonzalo.
(b) Alonso and Sebastian.
(c) Gonzalo and Sebastian.
(d) Antonio and Sebastian.
12. What is the true motivation behind Prospero's grand plan for Miranda and Ferdinand?
(a) That it is a good union that will bring Naples and Milan together.
(b) That it will finally get him and his daughter off of the island.
(c) It is not specifically defined.
(d) That it will spite Alonso and any plans he had for his son.
13. How does Antonio convince Sebastian to go along with the plan in Act II, Scene I?
(a) He tells him how much fun it is to be a king.
(b) He explains how much he benefited from taking Prospero's throne.
(c) He describes the riches he will gain as the king of Naples.
(d) He tells him that they can combine powers once he is king of Naples.
14. After Ariel completes his duties, Prospero promises to
(a) Teach him his magic.
(b) Let him marry Miranda.
(c) Knight him.
(d) Free him.
15. Caliban is the offspring of
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
2. In his soliloquy, what does Ferdinand say makes his job easier?
3. Ferdinand is the prince of
4. What keeps Ferdinand going as he does Prospero's work?
5. Antonio is the brother of
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)