|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonio castigates the Boatswain during the storm, because he believes the sailors are
2. After Ariel completes his duties, Prospero promises to
(a) Teach him his magic.
(b) Let him marry Miranda.
(c) Knight him.
(d) Free him.
3. The two spirits who reside on the island with Prospero and Miranda are
(a) Caliban and Trinculo.
(b) Trinculo and Stephano.
(c) Caliban and Ariel.
(d) Trinculo and Ariel.
4. Prospero and Miranda were given provisions and books on the boat by
5. What does Sebastian wonder about Antonio and his usurpation of Prospero's throne?
(a) If Antonio will do it to him.
(b) If he is as courageous as Antonio.
(c) How hard it is to be the king.
(d) If it plagues his conscience.
6. Prospero and Miranda were not killed when expelled from Milan because
(a) His people are peaceful and not aggressive.
(b) His people are sympathetic and pitied them.
(c) His people loved him and would resent Antonio for the murder.
(d) His people would have then killed Antonio.
7. How does one character finally get Caliban to calm down in Act II, Scene II?
(a) By giving him money.
(b) By giving Caliban wine.
(c) By singing him a song.
(d) By saying nice things to Caliban.
8. Alonso's daughter was married in
9. When he was Duke of Milan, Prospero turned his duties over to
(a) His council.
(c) His loyal subjects.
(d) The queen.
10. Antonio thinks the Boatswain is being rude by not adhering to his
11. How does Antonio convince Sebastian to go along with the plan in Act II, Scene I?
(a) He explains how much he benefited from taking Prospero's throne.
(b) He tells him how much fun it is to be a king.
(c) He describes the riches he will gain as the king of Naples.
(d) He tells him that they can combine powers once he is king of Naples.
12. In his soliloquy, what does Ferdinand say makes his job easier?
(a) Thoughts of Miranda.
(b) Prospero's kindness.
(c) The nice weather.
(d) His natural strength.
13. What does the scene between Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban provide to the reader?
(b) Comic relief.
(c) Enlightening insight.
(d) Frightening tension.
14. What does Miranda regret doing while talking to Ferdinand?
(a) Offering to help him.
(b) Telling him her name.
(c) Going against her father's wishes.
(d) Not acting ladylike.
15. Who assures Miranda that Ferdinand is a man and not a spirit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caliban beg of Stephano when he first meets him?
2. The Tempest is considered one of Shakespeare's
3. In order to render Ferdinand defenseless after he draws his sword, Prospero
4. In Act I, Scene II, what does Prospero promise to Ariel for the second time?
5. Who ties to calm down Caliban in Act II, Scene II?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)