|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The tempest is a symbolic form of an upheaval from a state of
2. Caliban wanted to populate the island with
(a) His children.
(c) Coconut trees.
(d) Other spirits.
3. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
(a) A king.
(b) A thief.
(c) A spirit.
(d) A peasant.
4. Why does Ferdinand not want Miranda to help him with his work?
(a) Because she is too young.
(b) Because it is too hard for her.
(c) Because he wants to show off for her.
(d) Because she has never done it before.
5. Although the ship passengers believe the ship is gone, it is actually
(a) On fire.
(c) At the bottom of the sea.
(d) At another island.
6. What does Trinculo believe Caliban to be?
(a) A fish.
(b) A prisoner.
(c) A spirit.
(d) A boar.
7. Prospero's magical power comes from
(a) The trees.
(b) His staff.
(c) His books.
8. What does Prospero think about Ferdinand's and Miranda's attraction to each other?
(a) That it is immoral.
(b) That it will destroy his grand plan.
(c) That it is foolish.
(d) That it is part of his grand plan.
9. In order to render Ferdinand defenseless after he draws his sword, Prospero
(a) talks to him sensibly.
(b) uses his magic to immobilize him.
(c) uses his magic to send him back to the ship.
(d) threatens to take Miranda away.
10. At the end of Act II, Scene II, what is Caliban doing?
(a) Singing happily.
(b) Building a fire.
(d) Cursing Stephano and Trinculo.
11. When awakened, Alonso asks Sebastian and Antonio why they have their swords drawn. What is their excuse?
(a) They were having a heated argument.
(b) They were seeing whose sword was bigger.
(c) They heard something and were preparing to protect everyone.
(d) They were practicing their swordsmanship.
12. Why does Ariel leave Antonio and Sebastian awake?
(a) Prospero forgot about them.
(b) Ariel took pity on them.
(c) Prospero meant for them to be awake.
(d) Ariel wanted to go against Prospero's orders.
13. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
(a) Cursing Prospero.
(b) Carrying jugs of water.
(c) Running from torturous spirits.
(d) Looking for Miranda.
14. What is the strange noise that Gonzalo claims he heard?
(a) Ariel's singing.
(b) Antonio's and Sebastian's whispering.
(c) Alonso talking in his sleep.
(d) Twigs breaking.
15. How does Antonio convince Sebastian to go along with the plan in Act II, Scene I?
(a) He explains how much he benefited from taking Prospero's throne.
(b) He tells him that they can combine powers once he is king of Naples.
(c) He describes the riches he will gain as the king of Naples.
(d) He tells him how much fun it is to be a king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ties to calm down Caliban in Act II, Scene II?
2. In his soliloquy, what does Ferdinand say makes his job easier?
3. Who wants to take over the throne of Naples?
4. As Caliban becomes drunk, what is one of the things he promises to Trinculo and Stephano?
5. What does Prospero state in an aside about Ferdinand?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)