|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sebastian wonder about Antonio and his usurpation of Prospero's throne?
(a) How hard it is to be the king.
(b) If he is as courageous as Antonio.
(c) If Antonio will do it to him.
(d) If it plagues his conscience.
2. Antonio is the brother of
3. What does Miranda impulsively do in Act III, Scene I?
(a) Tells Ferdinand to run away.
(b) Tells Ferdinand the secrets of the island.
(c) Tells Ferdinand her name.
(d) Kisses Ferdinand.
4. Who leads Ferdinand to Prospero?
5. Alonso's daughter was married in
6. What does Ferdinand protest when Prospero accuses him of wanting to take over the island?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His right to the island as Prince of Naples.
(c) His social status.
(d) His innocence.
7. How long ago was Antonio's usurpation of Prospero's throne in Milan?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
8. When Miranda first meets Ferdinand, she believes he is
(a) A peasant.
(b) A king.
(c) A spirit.
(d) A thief.
9. Antonio's treatment of Prospero when they were in Milan mirrors
(a) Stephano's treatment of Caliban.
(b) Prospero's treatment of Caliban.
(c) Prospero's treatment of Miranda.
(d) Prospero's treatment of Ferdinand.
10. What does the scene between Stephano, Trinculo and Caliban provide to the reader?
(a) Comic relief.
(b) Frightening tension.
(d) Enlightening insight.
11. The Tempest is considered one of Shakespeare's
(a) Earlier works.
(b) Romantic works.
(c) Later works.
(d) Modern works.
12. The two spirits who reside on the island with Prospero and Miranda are
(a) Caliban and Trinculo.
(b) Trinculo and Stephano.
(c) Trinculo and Ariel.
(d) Caliban and Ariel.
13. When Act II, Scene II opens, what is Caliban doing?
(a) Cursing Prospero.
(b) Looking for Miranda.
(c) Carrying jugs of water.
(d) Running from torturous spirits.
14. Why does Trinculo hide underneath Caliban's robes?
(a) He heard noises in the distance and is afraid.
(b) He hears thunder and thinks another storm is coming.
(c) Caliban promises to protect him.
(d) He wants to be safe from the island's spirits.
15. What sets Alonso apart from Antonio in Prospero's eyes?
(a) His age, as he is much older than Antonio.
(b) His strength as a king.
(c) His emotional, regretful side.
(d) His lack of interest in being a king.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does one character finally get Caliban to calm down in Act II, Scene II?
2. Prospero gained his power from his books and
3. Although coming from different worlds, Miranda and Ferdinand are similar because of their
4. Who wants to take over the throne of Naples?
5. Why does Prospero tell the story of their past to Miranda?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)